Aircraft noise in PGA golf tournaments

jpmageddon

[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1361596538' post='6484485']
Metropolitan GC in Oakland, CA is right next to OAK. It gets buzzed pretty bad, but is a great scene anyhow.
[/quote]

That place used to be Galbraith GC. In terms of pure golf, that place WAS a cathedral. Always windy, (what planes?) not always in even good shape but great layout. That place and Gleneagles in SF; total sleepers. If you don't need a cocktail cart, don't care about dressing up, and are not worried about gun shots within a couple hundred yards, play Gleneagles in SF. Sometimes they get those greens firm and fast. When that happens Gleneagles is pure golf.

Valhalla, I am coming!
Drums beating, cold English blood
runs hot.
they just can't kill the beast

• 3 months later...

16June watching final round of US Open and after two hours now seriously irritated by incessant drone from blimp et al. As per originator of this post (which I understand is aimed at TV viewers and not players and relates to the continuous drone and not occasional fly-bys) I too am surprised at lack of web content on the subject, so created an account to join in the conversation. Agree that ground mikes are ultra-sensitive and today's cloud cover and strong winds exacerbate the noise but agree whole-heartedly with esketores that TV producers could easily filter out the drone using same technology used in noise-cancellation headphones. I hope someone's listening!!

We are getting 8 hours of coverage in addition to several hours of post round coverage on the golf channel. All of this is in HD, and we also get a ton of web content, but you guys still find a reason to complain.

It seems like every week people have something to complain about. The players that get coverage, the announcers and now the blimp noise???? We get awesome views from the blimps and you guys think that the networks should invest money in finding a way to eliminate the noise?? If you don't like it just hit the mute button.

At least this is in right thread?

Luckily the blimp noise is not audible in many (most?) shots. It could also be eliminated quite easily and without much of an investment, and I do not mean a gun shot...

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cm Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRT Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP!

At the Open today, the blimp noise was so loud that I had to mute the volume on my TV! Now, as the tournament wound down in the final holes the blimp noise went away and I was able to listen to Johnny Miller describe how Phil was gonna finish 2nd again. When is the last time an american won our championship?

I can no longer watch tennis due to the horrible grunts of the players when they hit the ball and in Golf some fool has to yell at the moment of contact..."Go in the hole"...

In basketball, the crowd is so loud at times you can not hear the ball bounce..and in Football, the fans go mad with glee.

Some of these sports I can still watch even with the insane noise levels, but in Golf? I love to hear the birds sing, the wind blow as I watch or play the game, not the constant buzzing of the blimp flying overhead to send back aerial shots.

Anyone else wants to weigh in?

[quote name='Aero_Golf' timestamp='1371426492' post='7258542']
BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP! BAN THE BLIMP!

At the Open today, the blimp noise was so loud that I had to mute the volume on my TV! Now, as the tournament wound down in the final holes the blimp noise went away and I was able to listen to Johnny Miller describe how Phil was gonna finish 2nd again. When is the last time an american won our championship?

I can no longer watch tennis due to the horrible grunts of the players when they hit the ball and in Golf some fool has to yell at the moment of contact..."Go in the hole"...

In basketball, the crowd is so loud at times you can not hear the ball bounce..and in Football, the fans go mad with glee.

Some of these sports I can still watch even with the insane noise levels, but in Golf? I love to hear the birds sing, the wind blow as I watch or play the game, not the constant buzzing of the blimp flying overhead to send back aerial shots.

[/quote]

You're kidding, right?

[quote name='nochct1' timestamp='1371428032' post='7258786']

[/quote]

You're kidding, right?
[/quote]

Clearly. Cancel the noise! Silence

[/quote]

Terrible thread how can this possibly be an issue for anyone. And I'm assuming the last American to win the us open question was a joke but last year web Simpson??

[quote name='Drone-elimination' timestamp='1371418194' post='7257138']
16June watching final round of US Open and after two hours now seriously irritated by incessant drone from blimp et al. As per originator of this post (which I understand is aimed at TV viewers and not players and relates to the continuous drone and not occasional fly-bys) I too am surprised at lack of web content on the subject, so created an account to join in the conversation. Agree that ground mikes are ultra-sensitive and today's cloud cover and strong winds exacerbate the noise but agree whole-heartedly with esketores that TV producers could easily filter out the drone using same technology used in noise-cancellation headphones. I hope someone's listening!!
[/quote]

They are listening but unfortunately, they can't hear what you're saying. Have you heard how damn loud those planes are?

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

[quote name='Playaway' timestamp='1361652451' post='6487647']
[quote name='mandudebro' timestamp='1361596538' post='6484485']
Metropolitan GC in Oakland, CA is right next to OAK. It gets buzzed pretty bad, but is a great scene anyhow.
[/quote]

That place used to be Galbraith GC. In terms of pure golf, that place WAS a cathedral. Always windy, (what planes?) not always in even good shape but great layout. That place and Gleneagles in SF; total sleepers. If you don't need a cocktail cart, don't care about dressing up, and are not worried about gun shots within a couple hundred yards, play Gleneagles in SF. Sometimes they get those greens firm and fast. When that happens Gleneagles is pure golf.
[/quote]

Saw this thread title and was going to post about the Met, as it's my local these days. They've got landing lights running between holes and loads of private jets, transporting East bay movers and shakers, extraordinary renditions, etc.. and if my rubbish golf game can handle it, I reckon the pros can do ok with the occasional balloon or prop plane towing an advert.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Engine noise was absolutely blaring in this week's broadcast.

Not even sure why they have mics on the course, the announcers are talking over the players most of the time anyway! They should just have the announcers off site in a soundproof studio, and pipe in some birds chirping and fake crowd noise without the annoying drunk fans screaming after EVERY SINGLE SHOT.

[quote name='larrybud' timestamp='1371473023' post='7261978']
Engine noise was absolutely blaring in this week's broadcast.

Not even sure why they have mics on the course, the announcers are talking over the players most of the time anyway! They should just have the announcers off site in a soundproof studio, and pipe in some birds chirping and fake crowd noise without the annoying drunk fans screaming after EVERY SINGLE SHOT.
[/quote]

Yeah, but what about the guy that yelled "GET IN THE HOLE" on Phil's wedge shot and IT DID? I mean that guy is set for life in terms of bragging and golf story telling, and it means we'll have more people doing it going forward hoping to get lucky too.

One of the courses I play is just off the end of the runways of an Air National Guard base and the Atlantic City International Airport. You have F-16s and jumbo refueling jets taking off and landing regularly during your round. If I can handle it I'm sure the pros can handle a blimp or ultra-lite buzzing around up there. I'm sure the fans are so distracting that the players don't even notice the air traffic above.

I think we should start a petition for a no fly zone with 10km of every PGA tour even.... hell we might as well make it every golf course.
Screw the church bell that went off hourly at the US Open that was clearly an issue, the trains dropping off fans or the cars on the roads near the course.
You do understand your TV's have volume buttons and you control it? Sure you can hear the blimp but so can everyone else playing in the tournament. Its the same sound for everyone. its not like an F22 drops out of nowhere and decides to go sonic just as they putt. I know its a public forum but WOW some people complain about anything.

[quote name='hereisnowhy' timestamp='1361581261' post='6482969']
I learned to play golf on Naval Air Stations. The closest Muni to my house is split in half by an active Biz Jet Runway.... The aircraft approach pattern is over the driving range. You could literally hit one of these aircraft while golfing.....200ft to 100ft above you on final. It doesn't seem to bother anyone that I have noticed.....myself included. I did notice the sound of Lycoming engines during Match Play the last couple of days on television, but I doubt it's that troublesome on location....
[/quote]

Lunken?

[quote name='Saint308' timestamp='1371487559' post='7263998']
Obvious answer is obvious. No fly zones.
[/quote]

I don't think you understand the process.

[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1371479206' post='7262728']
On my home course I have to pause several times a round a plug my ears. Fighters taking off in after burner less than 200 yards from some of the fairways.
[/quote]

I'm not sure people realize how loud that is. That would be unbearable. The blimp overhead and a few airliners is nothing compared to that. I play at a short public track on occasion that has "airport" in the name of the course. They send up Cessna's and other props all the time, but also the occasional Corporate Jet. The noise from those things rips through your brain from across the road. I can't imagine trying to deal with an F18 Hornet revving up.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck