Aircraft noise in PGA golf tournaments

jpmageddon

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1371492164' post='7264664']
[quote name='Go_Time' timestamp='1371479206' post='7262728']
On my home course I have to pause several times a round a plug my ears. Fighters taking off in after burner less than 200 yards from some of the fairways.
[/quote]

I'm not sure people realize how loud that is. That would be unbearable. The blimp overhead and a few airliners is nothing compared to that. I play at a short public track on occasion that has "airport" in the name of the course. They send up Cessna's and other props all the time, but also the occasional Corporate Jet. The noise from those things rips through your brain from across the road. I can't imagine trying to deal with an F18 Hornet revving up.
[/quote]
Lost Nation?

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1371497951' post='7265432']
On my home course I have to pause several times a round a plug my ears. Fighters taking off in after burner less than 200 yards from some of the fairways.
[/quote]

I'm not sure people realize how loud that is. That would be unbearable. The blimp overhead and a few airliners is nothing compared to that. I play at a short public track on occasion that has "airport" in the name of the course. They send up Cessna's and other props all the time, but also the occasional Corporate Jet. The noise from those things rips through your brain from across the road. I can't imagine trying to deal with an F18 Hornet revving up.
[/quote]
Lost Nation?
[/quote]

Airport Greens.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

I used to have a video taken from my cart with a four ship of f-16s taking off, seemed to have deleted it though. Point is...it was so loud that the mic blanked out and the video had zero sound.

Just measured on google earth. Less than 220 yards from the 2nd green to the end of the runway.

On the driving range, depending on the prevailing wind, it's pretty common to have jets pass 100-300 feet directly above on approach.

[quote name='KYMAR' timestamp='1371501977' post='7266022']
[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1371497951' post='7265432']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Lost Nation?
[/quote]

Airport Greens.
[/quote]

Oh, over by county. I wouldn't have used the phrase "occasional" corporate jet for that airport, but I'm with ya now :)

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that what the players hear is a lot different than what we hear. The microphones amplify sounds quite a bit.

I have a surround sound system with a sub-woofer. The other day I was watching the Champions Tour and some serious bass was coming through the sub-woofer. I turned it up and then realized it was the blimp motors.

Whatever driver happens to be working at the time
Some random 3 wood
My same, old irons
A few wedges...
Scotty Cameron Fastback

[quote name='Steve Ryan' timestamp='1371525889' post='7269250']
Someone mentioned earlier in the thread that what the players hear is a lot different than what we hear. The microphones amplify sounds quite a bit.

I have a surround sound system with a sub-woofer. The other day I was watching the Champions Tour and some serious bass was coming through the sub-woofer. I turned it up and then realized it was the blimp motors.
[/quote]

Nothing to do with golf but there is something TV-productions should really do. They should high-pass filter everything unless they really want to have low bass sounds in broadcasts. It is very annoying to listen some programs with "high-end" system as there can be very loud low frequency sounds. Like from wind or machinery or something.

Ping G15 Titleist 950R Titleist 910D2 Titleist TS2
Titleist 910f 3W
Callaway XHot hybrid
Titleist 735cmย Titleist AP2
Vokey wedges
Tri-Ball SRTย Odyssey Works Versa #1 Tank Scotty Cameron Futura 5W

[quote name='geoffaw' timestamp='1371558768' post='7270714']
A lot of the noise is coming from the Blimp. If you live close enough to a course during a televised tourney it can drive you completely insane.
[/quote]

I was just at the US Open and believe it or not the Blimp wasn't all too bad, I hardly noticed any noise. Now the planes with the swingshirt ad's attached to them... they're the culprits.

Titleist 905R 9.5*
Titleist 906f2 15*
Titleist 585h 21*
Mizuno MP-57 4-PW
Titleist Vokey SM4 52* 56* 60*
Odyssey White Hot Pro #1 34"

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Mountaineer' timestamp='1371786528' post='7295022']
A lot of the noise is coming from the Blimp. If you live close enough to a course during a televised tourney it can drive you completely insane.
[/quote]

I was just at the US Open and believe it or not the Blimp wasn't all too bad, I hardly noticed any noise. Now the planes with the swingshirt ad's attached to them... they're the culprits.
[/quote]

Ah yes that was our banner plane at the US Open ! The only complaint from the 70,000 people who saw it was from one resident
who lived three blocks from the course who said we "ruined his mint julips and cucumber sandwiches lunch in his back yard"
He went on to say that the plane flew only 100' above his house and he was reporting us to the FAA,PGA,FBI,CIA, and any other person that would hear his rant.Nothing came of it and we flew again at the PGA at Oak Hill and not ONE complaint. So again...70,000 people and only one complaint..maybe there are more serious issues
to deal with at a tournament like serving beer at 9am and wondering why hooples are screaming mash potatoes by noon !

[quote name='The Golf Swing Shirt' timestamp='1381549367' post='7990421']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Ah yes that was our banner plane at the US Open ! The only complaint from the 70,000 people who saw it was from one resident
who lived three blocks from the course who said we "ruined his mint julips and cucumber sandwiches lunch in his back yard"
He went on to say that the plane flew only 100' above his house and he was reporting us to the FAA,PGA,FBI,CIA, and any other person that would hear his rant.Nothing came of it and we flew again at the PGA at Oak Hill and not ONE complaint. So again...70,000 people and only one complaint..maybe there are more serious issues
to deal with at a tournament like serving beer at 9am and wondering why hooples are screaming mash potatoes by noon !
[/quote]

I love the "they were only 100' over my house doing at least 500 miles per hour!" people. Love them. It's absolutely amazing entertainment.

[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1381561185' post='7990809']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

I love the "they were only 100' over my house doing at least 500 miles per hour!" people. Love them. It's absolutely amazing entertainment.
[/quote]

LOL...he said that the pilot was reckless and menacing. The plane flew over Padraig Harrington while he was teeing off on the first hole of Merion ...Paddy walked down the fairway after rippping his drive and gave our marketing team the thumbs up and was smiling. Didnt bother anyone else except one lonely soul ...

[quote name='The Golf Swing Shirt' timestamp='1381705574' post='7996419']
[quote name='minitour' timestamp='1381561185' post='7990809']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

LOL...he said that the pilot was reckless and menacing. The plane flew over Padraig Harrington while he was teeing off on the first hole of Merion ...Paddy walked down the fairway after rippping his drive and gave our marketing team the thumbs up and was smiling. Didnt bother anyone else except one lonely soul ...
[/quote]

Sounds about right. Probably the same type of person that will buy a house right off the end of the runway at TEB or SMO for $150,000 less than the other houses in the area, and then start bitching about shutting down the airport.

• 7 years later...

This thread is reverberating like a jet taking off!

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15*ย Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

ย 

• 11 months later...

The background airplane/blimp/drone noise is really annoying. With modern technology, it seems the broadcastย couldย easily remove or mostly attenuate this constant frequency noiseย with a narrow filter before broadcasting. Noise cancellation technology is not rocket science anymore.ย 

• Like 3

I played a course in NE Ohio mention by a poster some time ago called Airport Greens and to witness the landing of jets thatย seem to be right over your head is quite alarming at first but after a few holes the noise and visual subside and the round become quite normal......

ย 

Planes were so close that I thought the apex of my ball would strike it......LOL! The noise was deafeningย at first.

On 6/17/2013 at 6:00 PM, GoTime said:

I used to have a video taken from my cart with a four ship of f-16s taking off, seemed to have deleted it though. Point is...it was so loud that the mic blanked out and the video had zero sound.

Just measured on google earth. Less than 220 yards from the 2nd green to the end of the runway.

On the driving range, depending on the prevailing wind, it's pretty common to have jets pass 100-300 feet directly above on approach.

Highway to the danger zone.

ย 

gonna take it right intoย to the Danger Zone!

ย 

๐Ÿ˜‚

On 1/4/2021 at 3:28 PM, MUNIGRIT said:

God we have become such a candle culture of soft people. U swear to God you could give people these days a million bucks for absolutely nothing and a lot would complain about paying taxes.

I think it may be just golfers.......a player can break a fingernail and the golf channel will have a three-day pity party..... (i kid) sort off...

11 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Maybe we should ask Sully for his thoughts on the matter?ย  ย Then again, I am not completely convinced he would provide sound judgement to the forum.ย ย 

ย 

image.png.add82c45b7c03a415bfced30ef108324.png

ย 

ย 

ย 

ย 

Sully. So overrated.

ย 

Look at me, I landed a 747 in the river. Saved hundreds of people blah blah blah

ย 

ย 

๐Ÿคฃ

• Like 1
  • Haha 1