Aircraft noise in PGA golf tournaments

jpmageddon

21 minutes ago, sui generis said:

Old pilots know better than to try a 180* return.

In those conditions, a 180 degree return is difficult but something that has been replicated in the simulator by several pilots.  Pilots practice this maneuver.  Landing in a river is not a common practice.  Had he avoided the birds, this would have never happened.  He got lucky. 

26 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

In those conditions, a 180 degree return is difficult but something that has been replicated in the simulator by several pilots.  Pilots practice this maneuver.  Landing in a river is not a common practice.  Had he avoided the birds, this would have never happened.  He got lucky. 

I'm an "old pilot." I might have got away with it in my F4 or GV, but never in my MTOW Boeing or L-1011.

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

Just now, Ferguson said:

Sully was operating an Airbus A320, a proven aircraft.   

When you elect to argue with anonymous strangers on the internet, it should come as no surprise that once in awhile one of them has the knowledge and experience which outweighs what you think you know from having read about in a magazine. 😉

• Like 1

Knowledge of the Rules is part of the applied skill set which a player must use to play competitive golf.

26 minutes ago, sui generis said:

When you elect to argue with anonymous strangers on the internet, it should come as no surprise that once in awhile one of them has the knowledge and experience which outweighs what you think you know from having read about in a magazine. 😉

I am arguing with no one.  Simply stated, I do NOT support Sully's decision to dump in a river and therefore would not favor hearing his opinions when it comes to aircraft noise at golf events.   

Were you primarily involved with the investigation? 

Respectfully, just because a guy works in a foundry doesn't make him a metallurgist. 

36 minutes ago, Ferguson said:

I am arguing with no one.  Simply stated, I do NOT support Sully's decision to dump in a river and therefore would not favor hearing his opinions when it comes to aircraft noise at golf events.   

Were you primarily involved with the investigation? 

Respectfully, just because a guy works in a foundry doesn't make him a metallurgist. 

I didn't work in the foundry. 🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Ferguson said:

Agreed he did get lucky, but that whole incident was kinda unprecedented. Sure flight crews have checklists for problems like dual engine flameout, but it’s meant to happen at cruising altitude not 3000 AGL, if they hit the birds earlier they probably blow up on impact with the ground because there’s no chance to work the problem. At that height they had enough to glide for a bit, while the NTSB simulations did show that a percentage of pilots were able to make it to LGA, once they factored in the human element of evaluating the problem, formulating a plan, and implementation of that plan, it was too late. Those that made it back, were turned around immediately. Ditching in the river was legit the absolute best option. Coming back to LGA would have been very tough to pull off, jet is full of fuel and without engines it probably overshoots and runs off creating other problems to people on the ground. Also not that this was in his mind, but a jet full of fuel will float for a bit (gas is lighter than water) ditching in the Hudson was close to multiple ferries, plus the A320 is rated for extended overwater operations which means it is stocked with a life vest and life rafts. 

long story short you’re cemented in your opinion of 1549, but it’s wrong… he got extremely lucky but ditching was the best option among bad options.

for the record my father was a pilot former Air Force, commercial aviator, and worked for Flight Safety. While every opinion is my own this one comes from questions I asked and answers I’ve researched. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferguson said:

No and no. Commercial pilots do not practice this maneuver. Throw in the seconds you lose trying to figure out WTF happened he would have had a minimal chance. He made the right call. The whole goal is to save lives at that point and he sure did. Now you can question what type of guy he is and has parlayed the situation into a nice book deal, CNN job and critic of his Co workers if you want. Reading a bunch of your comments makes me realize you aren't much of a pilot if one at all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sully_Sullenberger#:~:text=The National Transportation Safety Board ruled that Sullenberger made the,altitudes%2C not immediately after takeoff.

The National Transportation Safety Board ruled that Sullenberger made the correct decision in landing on the river instead of attempting a return to LaGuardia[

58 minutes ago, BNGL said:

Agreed he did get lucky, but that whole incident was kinda unprecedented. Sure flight crews have checklists for problems like dual engine flameout, but it’s meant to happen at cruising altitude not 3000 AGL, if they hit the birds earlier they probably blow up on impact with the ground because there’s no chance to work the problem. At that height they had enough to glide for a bit, while the NTSB simulations did show that a percentage of pilots were able to make it to LGA, once they factored in the human element of evaluating the problem, formulating a plan, and implementation of that plan, it was too late. Those that made it back, were turned around immediately. Ditching in the river was legit the absolute best option. Coming back to LGA would have been very tough to pull off, jet is full of fuel and without engines it probably overshoots and runs off creating other problems to people on the ground. Also not that this was in his mind, but a jet full of fuel will float for a bit (gas is lighter than water) ditching in the Hudson was close to multiple ferries, plus the A320 is rated for extended overwater operations which means it is stocked with a life vest and life rafts. 

long story short you’re cemented in your opinion of 1549, but it’s wrong… he got extremely lucky but ditching was the best option among bad options.

for the record my father was a pilot former Air Force, commercial aviator, and worked for Flight Safety. While every opinion is my own this one comes from questions I asked and answers I’ve researched. 

46 minutes ago, MUNIGRIT said:

No and no. Commercial pilots do not practice this maneuver. Throw in the seconds you lose trying to figure out WTF happened he would have had a minimal chance. He made the right call. The whole goal is to save lives at that point and he sure did. Now you can question what type of guy he is and has parlayed the situation into a nice book deal, CNN job and critic of his Co workers if you want. Reading a bunch of your comments makes me realize you aren't much of a pilot if one at all.

It's easy to support Sully's decision after things turned out well.  

Here is a real question. Lets say we live in the a hypothetical world where an airport runway is instead a giant treadmill. Let's say this treadmill can match the speed required for an Airbus A320 to take off (~180mph). If the Airbus were to attempt to take off while the treadmill matched it's speed, but in reverse, what would happen? A) The plane would remain stationary B) The plane would take off. C) The plane would crash into the river at the end of the giant treadmill

Edited by Krt22
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Krt22 said:

Here is a real question. Lets say we live in the a hypothetical world where an airport runway is instead a giant treadmill. Let's say this treadmill can match the speed required for an Airbus A320 to take off (~180mph). If the Airbus were to attempt to take off while the treadmill matched it's speed, but in reverse, what would happen? A) The plane would remain stationary B) The plane would take off. C) The plane would crash into the river at the end of the giant treadmill

What brand of treadmill? 

On 1/10/2022 at 3:28 AM, Ferguson said:

Often times you'll hear a Scorpion Attack Helicopter in the background.   It's one of the many security measures added since 2018.

This has got to be a joke!!

• Like 1

Callaway Mavrik - Fujikura Pro 2.0 6-S stiff 
Tour Edge 3 wood - Mitsubishi Fubuki HL-55 stiff 
Callaway Apex 21 3 hybrid - UST Mamiya Recoil Dart 75 HYB stiff
Mizuno JPX921 Hot Metal 5-PW - Nippon N.S. PROGH neo stiff 

Haywood Signature 48°, 52°, 56°, 60° - KBS Tour stiff
PXG One & Done