2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

It is getting out of control with fans yelling stuff after players hit! (merged)

Eec55

[quote name='TheGoo34' timestamp='1375850799' post='7621544']
I personally find all of those comments like "Mashed Potatoes" funny as can be. They aren't bothering anyone but you. They aren't obnoxious while they are swinging, they wait until after the shot to yell just like everyone else. I would yell "get in the hole" off the tee on a par 5 if I ever went to a tournament. I have a very good sense of humor and I can understand the humor behind it and I do find it funny myself. Have a little fun and laugh a little, you'll find you will live happier and longer.

And here we are talking about it. They obviously had an impact on you or else we wouldn't be talking about it. I bet that mashed potatoes guy is reading this laughing his a** off, as would I!
[/quote]

Then you would be just another obnoxious moron in the unfortunate masses of obnoxious morons. The idiots that do this are egotistical jackholes that live with a false sense of entitlement and probably Tweet every worthless detail of their life. If you want to scream unoriginal phrases, go to a football game. If you want to be on a golf course, act like you're on a golf course. It's not rocket science.

• Replies 953
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally find all of those comments like "Mashed Potatoes" funny as can be... I have a very good sense of humor...
[/quote]

The former seems to contradict the latter.
;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Excerpt from the PGA Championship (Tuesday) interview:

[i][quote]Q. Earlier you talked about Rochester being a pretty good golf town.[/i]

[i]TIGER WOODS: It is, yeah.[/i]

[i]Q. I wonder if you can expand on that, and you talk about fans being supportive. What's a supportive [/i]
[i]fan to you? [b]What would you like to see them do and not do[/b], and what do you think of the crowds out there so far?[/i]

[i]TIGER WOODS: [b]Well, I don't think you need to yell every time the ball gets airborne.[/b] (Laughter).[/i][i][/quote][/i]

:good:

I personally find all of those comments like "Mashed Potatoes" funny as can be. [b]They aren't bothering anyone but you[/b]. They aren't obnoxious while they are swinging, they wait until after the shot to yell just like everyone else. I would yell "get in the hole" off the tee on a par 5 if I ever went to a tournament. [b]I have a very good sense of humor [/b]and I can understand the humor behind it and I do find it funny myself. Have a little fun and laugh a little, you'll find you will live happier and longer.

And here we are talking about it. They obviously had an impact on you or else we wouldn't be talking about it. I bet that mashed potatoes guy is reading this laughing his a** off, as would I!
[/quote]

there are 17 pages of comments from people who will disagree with both of the above bolded points.

then again, you all built a bridge to nowhere, which is pretty funny.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I personally find all of those comments like "Mashed Potatoes" funny as can be. They aren't bothering anyone but you. They aren't obnoxious while they are swinging, they wait until after the shot to yell just like everyone else. I would yell "get in the hole" off the tee on a par 5 if I ever went to a tournament. I have a very good sense of humor and I can understand the humor behind it and I do find it funny myself. Have a little fun and laugh a little, you'll find you will live happier and longer.

[/quote]

and here you have....no matter how many point out how annoying or unfunny something it, the person doing will always think its humorous and people need to lighten up. for whatever reason i'm putting the above user at 17 years old. i can imagine he yells something stupid, gets 20 frowns and head shakes from others around him, and then chalks it up to his superior sense of humor.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1375895730' post='7624948']

[/quote]

and here you have....no matter how many point out how annoying or unfunny something it, the person doing will always think its humorous and people need to lighten up. for whatever reason i'm putting the above user at 17 years old. i can imagine he yells something stupid, gets 20 frowns and head shakes from others around him, and then chalks it up to his superior sense of humor.
[/quote]
So many uptight responses. seems like these things are being typed up by blue haired old ladies who haven't seen any since the Revolutionary war.
It's making me start to side with the yellers.
In fact, put me down for mashed potatoes, I am actually starting to like the idea of all you guys, sitting in your chairs, being incensed with nothing you can do about it.
Having mashed potatoes ruin your day, ruin your life, curse your tv , and leaving you with nothing to do with yourselves but think up empty threats about what you would do to the offenders.
Shut up and do something.
Oh wait, you won't. You and the like minded will just complain on the Internet.
It makes the guys who yell on TV seem brave in comparison. How embarrassing for all of you.
You really should do something about it.
Do something.
No? Okay let's lock this thread up until somebody does.

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

Heard some goofball this past weekend screaming " yeah T dub you da blah blah blah" Insert me as Tiger " Dude shut the F up you are a moron and making a complete arse of yourself, this ain't hockey ya know."

Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
34" C&L 355g Beached
WITB Link

[quote name='monkeynaut' timestamp='1375901815' post='7625754']

[/quote]

[/quote]
So many uptight responses. seems like these things are being typed up by blue haired old ladies who haven't seen any since the Revolutionary war.
In fact, put me down for mashed potatoes, I am actually starting to like the idea of all you guys, sitting in your chairs, being incensed with nothing you can do about it.
Having mashed potatoes ruin your day, ruin your life, curse your tv , and leaving you with nothing to do with yourselves but think up empty threats about what you would do to the offenders.
It makes the guys who yell on TV seem brave in comparison. How embarrassing for all of you.
Do something.
[/quote]

no one said these comments ruin anyones days. they're annoying and stupid. no, they don't ruin my day or prevent me from watching golf, but the db's that find them funny or feel the need to be the one to yell something out, yeah, i could do without them.

assuming that anyone who is annoyed by unfunny one liners being yelled after shots is some blue haired old folk is almost as annoying. i think you might be surprised by how many people that are considered 'young' adults are actually tired of it too. tired of being labeled the generation without respect, tired of the label 'me generation'. being young and being an adult aren't mutually exclusive. i also believe that its not just the 20 somethings that are yelling this stuff out.

its actually pretty moronic to think 17 pages of nearly everyone finding this behavior not just annoying, but simply being a db, that anyone with this opinion must somehow be a getriatric.

golf sometimes gets labeled as a gentlemans game. times have changed and i'm ok with that. we don't need to tip toe around the course as if its holy ground, but the yelling stuff out is beyond tiresome.

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

[quote name='HoosierMizuno' timestamp='1375904649' post='7626060']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

no one said these comments ruin anyones days. they're annoying and stupid. no, they don't ruin my day or prevent me from watching golf, but the db's that find them funny or feel the need to be the one to yell something out, yeah, i could do without them.

assuming that anyone who is annoyed by unfunny one liners being yelled after shots is some blue haired old folk is almost as annoying. i think you might be surprised by how many people that are considered 'young' adults are actually tired of it too. tired of being labeled the generation without respect, tired of the label 'me generation'. being young and being an adult aren't mutually exclusive. i also believe that its not just the 20 somethings that are yelling this stuff out.

its actually pretty moronic to think 17 pages of nearly everyone finding this behavior not just annoying, but simply being a db, that anyone with this opinion must somehow be a getriatric.

golf sometimes gets labeled as a gentlemans game. times have changed and i'm ok with that. we don't need to tip toe around the course as if its holy ground, but the yelling stuff out is beyond tiresome.
[/quote]

It's truly laughable for any of the adolescent morons to think it's only seniors that are bothered by this. I'm mid 20's as are most of my friends and we find it just as annoying if not more since the entitled screaming idiots are around our age. There's a time and place for everything and the unruly behavior of the excessively loud few is probably a good indication of the type of lives they lead. Meaning they have nowhere jobs and spend all of their disposable income on booze and sneakers and aftermarket parts for their Civics. I'll go to a Devils game, get plastered and scream my head off there, but I would never do that on a golf course because I act like an adult.

You guys couldn't be more wrong about me. I'm 23 and an MP in the Army. I enjoy life and laugh about everything. I have been playing golf for the past 15 years. If you get frustrated at someone yelling mashed potatoes after a deep bomb from Woods then YOU are probably the one that needs to have a drink or two and loosen up a little. Have a little fun in life. The one's getting so worked up about my comment are probably the ones that NO ONE likes playing with on the course... The one's that think that EVERY round is a tournament round and getting mad about someone playing two balls on a bad shot. I can't stand people that take golf SO SERIOUS on a weekend round. Yes I play in tournaments, and played high school golf and I like to shoot my best during casual rounds.But I can have a little fun and not get pissed when the group ahead hits 2 balls or is using their round as an excuse to get drunk. I know when to take it serious and when it's "ok" to hit two balls if you hit a bad drive. So far this year, every single I got paired up with at the course has been awesome. But I'm sure if I got paired up with one of the cranky people I have been talking about I would not enjoy my round.

Ever since I can remember watching tournaments on T.V people have ALWAYS yelled s*** out. I find it funny. I'm sorry I find it funny, and I should go quit playing golf now and never watch another tournament because I'm a bad spectator. I would love to have someone yell mashed potatoes after my 368 yd drive I had on Sunday. I would laugh and carry on to my next shot. You all may not be old cranky retired folk, but hearing you guys b**** about something as small as yelling get in the hole, mashed potatoes and bubba booey, fits the typical stereotype of an old cranky retired folk that no one likes to play with. I actually played through a group like that on Sunday. Enjoy life and I would I hate see what else pisses you off during every day life.

Carry on.

And I doubt you would punch me in the face if I yelled get in the hole off the tee on a par 5.

[quote name='prorobo' timestamp='1375905899' post='7626216']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

[/quote]

It's truly laughable for any of the adolescent morons to think it's only seniors that are bothered by this. I'm mid 20's as are most of my friends and we find it just as annoying if not more since the entitled screaming idiots are around our age. There's a time and place for everything and the unruly behavior of the excessively loud few is probably a good indication of the type of lives they lead. Meaning they have nowhere jobs and spend all of their disposable income on booze and sneakers and aftermarket parts for their Civics. I'll go to a Devils game, get plastered and scream my head off there, but I would never do that on a golf course because I act like an adult.
[/quote]

So you think getting plastered and looking like a jackass at a hockey game means you're acting like an adult? I'm your age and I find it hilarious people yell that stuff after tee shots. My wife laughed when I rewinded the round on sunday so she can hear the mashed potatoes comment. And I don't have a nowhere job nor do I drive a civic and nor do I even drink more than a beer a month... So just like how some will disclame my stereotype, I will do the same to everyone else about "people like me". And you can look at my facebook and you will see I haven't posted anything for weeks. And I don't have a twitter account... So again, just because someone likes to HAVE FUN and enjoy themselves, doesn't mean they are egotistical, and tweet everything.

[quote name='TheGoo34' timestamp='1375906128' post='7626234']
You guys couldn't be more wrong about me. I'm 23 and an MP in the Army. I enjoy life and laugh about everything. I have been playing golf for the past 15 years. If you get frustrated at someone yelling mashed potatoes after a deep bomb from Woods then YOU are probably the one that needs to have a drink or two and loosen up a little. Have a little fun in life. The one's getting so worked up about my comment are probably the ones that NO ONE likes playing with on the course... The one's that think that EVERY round is a tournament round and getting mad about someone playing two balls on a bad shot. I can't stand people that take golf SO SERIOUS on a weekend round. Yes I play in tournaments, and played high school golf and I like to shoot my best during casual rounds.But I can have a little fun and not get pissed when the group ahead hits 2 balls or is using their round as an excuse to get drunk. I know when to take it serious and when it's "ok" to hit two balls if you hit a bad drive. So far this year, every single I got paired up with at the course has been awesome. But I'm sure if I got paired up with one of the cranky people I have been talking about I would not enjoy my round.

Ever since I can remember watching tournaments on T.V people have ALWAYS yelled s*** out. I find it funny. I'm sorry I find it funny, and I should go quit playing golf now and never watch another tournament because I'm a bad spectator. I would love to have someone yell mashed potatoes after my 368 yd drive I had on Sunday. I would laugh and carry on to my next shot. You all may not be old cranky retired folk, but hearing you guys b**** about something as small as yelling get in the hole, mashed potatoes and bubba booey, fits the typical stereotype of an old cranky retired folk that no one likes to play with. I actually played through a group like that on Sunday. Enjoy life and I would I hate see what else pisses you off during every day life.

Carry on.

And I doubt you would punch me in the face if I yelled get in the hole off the tee on a par 5.
[/quote]
Yeah your right, everyone should be yelling mashed potatoes and the booey thing, its so funny, in fact I am suprised the gallerys dont all fall down laughing, In fact to make it even funnier I think the Guy should be found, stripped naked, tared and feathered tied to a tree with a sign around his neck " I am Dumb", now that would be funny, Bet loads of people would take pics, post them on the net, tweet them and whatever, Pity it would soon stop all that crap, because the only guys who would think it not "funny" were the guys doing it, As you said your 23 so really you have grown up with the "screamers" Instead of Nice shot, great shot, well played, big drive, etc which actually have something to do with the game being played, we have mashed potatoes, instead . As for people ranting on here, go visit the slow play thread as you dont have any problem with people holding you up playing 2 balls etc, I am sure you can contribute to that as well, keep in mind always the Guys behind you maybe playing a serious round while your having fun at the weekend or do you not take that into consideration? does it only count when you are taking it serious?

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

[/quote]

BUT, you assumed the guy who thought it was funny was an adolescent -
[quote]"for whatever reason i'm putting the above user at 17 years old."
[/quote]THEN, you were upset that someone could assume that attitude was indicative of an elderly matron -
[quote]
"assuming that anyone who is annoyed by unfunny one liners being yelled after shots is some blue haired old folk is almost as annoying."

[/quote]
See what happened there? Funny stuff. Funnier than Mashed Potatoes.
But true, golf is no longer a gentleman's game. All you need to do is read the posts of the anger fiends who want to punch someone for yelling something to figure that out. But the truth is, we all know nobody here is going to do anything about it. People who DO things don't build themselves up on internet forums.
I can picture these guys. Oh wait there's one below.
[media=]http://youtu.be/7pdWAcK6Eh8[/media]

Driver Callaway Razr Fit Xtreme
Callaway X Hot Pro 13.5* and 17* FW
Callaway Razr X Tour 21* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 5-PW, Mizuno JPX 50*,
Mizuno MPT-11 54*, Vokey SM4 60/10,
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 #2

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Excuse me,,the golf course is my holy ground :) next we will have people shouting Roast potatoes in church when the Minister talks about the Devil and the fires of hell :)

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1375914521' post='7627214']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

[/quote]

Excuse me,,the golf course is my holy ground :) next we will have people shouting Roast potatoes in church when the Minister talks about the Devil and the fires of hell :)
[/quote]

Or better yet, have them burned at the stake!

Callaway Diablo Octane 9.5*
Callaway Diablo Octane 15*
Callaway Diablo DRS 21* & 24*
Custom Turbo Power FBS 6-PW
Callaway Jaws CC 56 & 60
Axis1 Umbra

[quote name='TheGoo34' timestamp='1375906128' post='7626234']
I'm 23 and an MP in the Army. I enjoy life and laugh about everything...
[/quote]

what? you wouldn't laugh about the punch in the face? i thought you have a good sense of humor and laugh about everything. way to slip in the long drive comment too, captain PB.

[attachment=1824674:boxorocks.jpg]

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

[quote name='Pat_Irish' timestamp='1375914521' post='7627214']

[/quote]

[/quote]
Do something.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It happens.

But, with respect to golf, we may need to find a real Crusader.

A Knight of The Tee.

Sworn to uphold silence or, in fact,

*To silence* those who violate the sanctity and silent introspection of the mass of the drive.

Haha, this thread is pretty funny. I'm a SPC not a Captain, I work for a living. But if I went to a tournament I might not be as obnoxious as those mashed potatoes guys (not saying I don't find it funny) but I would say "nice shot", "good ball", and on a bombed drive I might get excited and yell a mashed potatoe type comment like "Night Night Ball!".

And I would laugh at someone attempting to punch me because I've been hit by worse.

And Pat_Irish: I played serious last Sunday and shot a 74. I was the second tee time and played through the 4some ahead by the second hole. I play a lot more serious by myself because no one can distract me and that's when I play my best. When I play with my buddy or around the same skill level as I, we joke around and end up not playing our best. I understand that people hit bad shots and play another ball, which realistically takes 15 seconds or so, so it doesn't hold up play much if at all. So if you're that guy that is trying to shoot his best round ever on a weekend at a local muni course, be the first, second, or third tee time that way you don't have to "deal" with those guys. It's not hard, so why get all sorts of pissed off because of slow play when you have noon tee time? Don't b**** about something that you can have an effect on like playing earlier...But that's neither here nor there becasue we are talking about people yelling after a shot.

if I were on the Tour and in a group being followed by one of these "mashed potato" folks (so pretty much any group), I would simply pretend to take my shot (stop mid-downswing) and let the guy/gal yell something, and just stare at them for a second. this would of course be on live television. not sure if this would make more people do it, or make them realize how dumb it is...but it would be fun.

by the way, people yelling stuff has ZERO impact on my experience watching golf tournaments on TV...but I think it's dumb, and certainly played out.

Titleist 910D2 7.75* - TBD
Titleist 910Fd 14.25* - Rombax P95
Titleist CB 710 2i - DG S400
Mizuno MP-14 3-PW - DG S400
Vokey C-C 53/13 & 59/05 - DG S400
Fastback No. 1

[quote name='TheGoo34' timestamp='1375927114' post='7628746']
I play a lot more serious by myself because [b]no one can distract me[/b] and that's when I play my best.
[/quote]

so, professional golfers don't deserve the level of seriousness that you afford yourself? would the *potential* of some mental midget yelling out something after you hit a shot not be distracting? truly, you have a dizzying intellect.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Here's my take...

I'm a 35-year old high school teacher.

I have a class this year with 57 freshman boys.

Yelling ANYTHING at a golf tournament reminds me of the sophomoric behavior that they think (and I thought at their age) is funny.

The problem is that the fools yelling are not freshman boys. They are grown-ups (or people that are old enough to know better)

[quote name='eagle1997' timestamp='1375927951' post='7628856']
I play a lot more serious by myself because [b]no one can distract me[/b] and that's when I play my best.
[/quote]

so, professional golfers don't deserve the level of seriousness that you afford yourself? would the *potential* of some mental midget yelling out something after you hit a shot not be distracting? truly, you have a dizzying intellect.
[/quote]

Clearly you didn't read my other posts, so instead of nit picking one post do your due diligence and read all my posts. I said I would love to have someone following my round and yelling mashed potatoes after my drives that I bomb down the fairway. That isn't distracting to me at all because it's AFTER my swing. They don't say anything while the players are in their pre shot routines and even walking up to the damn ball. You guys think they are being loud during their routines, backstrokes, walking up to the ball on the fairway, putting, pooping, peeing, drinking and sleeping. They say it for less than 4 seconds after the shot happens. Truly you have a dizzying intellect to where you can't comprehend much of anything.

And to the guy who said stop half way down on your down stroke, Tiger does this often and wouldn't you know?! No one yells ANYTHING because they WAIT until the BALL HAS MOVED OFF THE CLUB FACE. They don't yell anything during the players stroke! They have courtesy and respect for the players game more so than any of you want to admit to these loud mouths... Them saying Mashedbabooey is no different than a person yelling GET IN THE HOLE on a putt. Both types of people are louder than the rest...

After reading thru this thread it looks like the moronic yelling is here to stay. If people can find humor in hearing "in the hole" after 1000 repetitions I guess they'll still find it funny at 1001 and so on. It only takes a few idiots screaming for the audio spotlight (and a few seconds of "fame" that they can play over and over on their dvr) to keep the behavior going.

but I would say "nice shot", "good ball", and [b]on a bombed drive[/b] I might get excited and yell a mashed potatoe type comment like "Night Night Ball!".

[/quote]

An important distinction to be made about this is that at the time people yell these comments, just barely after impact, they have [i]no idea[/i] if it's a good shot. If they wait long enough to see the ball flight they find themselves drowned out by the regular applause and cheering.

for those who think it's no big deal i say put yourself in the players shoes who hear it nearly every hole, every round they play........see if it gets annoying after a while.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide