2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

G25 Iron Review (Low Handicapper)

Instant Offense

[quote name='starrman77' timestamp='1378138127' post='7785739']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1378126937' post='7785101']
Repeating myself on page 19 of this thread (mentioned earlier and in other G-series threads) but after playing G10's, G20's, and now G25's extensively, in my experience they all play interchangeably. Bounce and offset difference are very minor. G25's have a slightly more rounded leading edge which in my experience is more important than the sole and bounce changes in terms of playability if you get a little steep into the ball (as I do). My local course is a burnt out mess with very little fairway grass, but even with the G20's with their humongo soles I have no issue picking the ball off tight lies. The wide sole has a lot of mass down low which really helps if you catch the ball thin. The G25's have thinner soles in the short irons, but I think the difference is more cosmetic than functional. Just go ahead and hit the ball with a descending angle strike and the ball will be gone off the face before the sole comes into play. Don't take me wrong, I prefer the G25's to these others, just don't think the difference is as big a deal as some others here suggest.
[/quote]

This brings to mind the old Alien sand wedge. The sole was humungous. The commercial showed how easy it made hitting from any lie. They showed hitting it from paved cart paths and a wooden bridge to name a few. Just some food for thought on hitting a wide sole.. [media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UX86csQORFc[/media]
[/quote]

Have you seen an Alien sand wedge in anybody's bag lately? Ever? And tell me this: if you DID have to hit a shot off a cart path or a wooden bridge, would you REALLY want a wide sole, much less an Alien wedge? And that is NOT meant as a knock on any of the wide sole G series clubs.

As to the infomercial, there's one out now with a screen door for a boat bottom. Not buying that stuff, either...

As previously stated, in terms of launching the ball out of any lie, the cg location is much more integral than the width of the sole. The lower the cg, the less descending blow is needed to launch the ball higher and the easier it is to get the cg of the iron under the cg of the ball (the equator), hence more forgiveness on thin shots. This is physics. This is one thing that really makes the Maltby Playability Factor lists useful because Ping is a consistent supporter of low and rearward cg placement in all clubs, where other companies might move weight elsewhere in clubs, such as forward, to the detriment of forgiveness for minimal distance gains for 95% of amateurs.

Also, the g25 seems to have lowest cg placement of any g series iron I've seen, as the tuning badge (which seems to represent the discretionary weight in the g series irons datimg back to the original) is pushed all the way to the bottom of the cavity, where as the others it rides higher on the club. This is probably much more substantial than the CONSTANT cosmetic and aesthetic comparisons.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378125203' post='7785037']
[quote name='gopherguts' timestamp='1378093618' post='7784325']
[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1378063431' post='7782073']
[quote name='dxdgenert' timestamp='1377961200' post='7776779']
[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1377956874' post='7776493']
[quote name='bluedot' timestamp='1377954749' post='7776413']
The G25's are NOT just another version of the G series! Check the specs on the Ping website to confirm this, but the G25's are engineered differently than the G10, 15, and 20 lines.

The offset has been reduced, and is now in between previous G series irons and the i series irons; that's significant, at least visually. Maybe even more significantly (depending on how you swing and the lie you are playing from) the G25's have an extra degree of bounce added from previous G series irons despite a thinner sole. Ping has added bounce to the i series irons over the years; the i5 6 iron had 3*, while the i20 has 7*.

Interestingly, the i20's have as much or more bounce through the set than even the G25's do, so it looks like Ping is moving G series irons toward thinner soles with added bounce, which I like. But it takes a little getting used to...
[/quote]

G25's have ONE degree of extra bounce compared to G15. G25 long irons have virtually the same offset, but the short irons have about .040" (1mm) less. Not sure I'd call changes like these "significant", but I would call them welcome.
[/quote]
Earlier in this thread and MANY pages back we discussed the variations with actual measurements:
G25 7iron: Sole (middle): 0.93''
Topline (middle): 0.310''
G20 7iron: Sole (middle): 1.105''
Topline (middle): 0.320''
G15 7 iron: Sole (middle) 1.050"
Topline (middle) 0.319"
Along with Nessism, I wouldn't say the changes are significant. Visually, PING did a great job of making it appear so, however.
[/quote]

So maybe we'll have to agree to disagree here. I agree that the topline is visual more than it is performance. Sole width, offset, and bounce are a different story, though. Not to get all math geeky, but...

Using the 7 iron, the sole width of the G25's has been reduced by 15%, with a nearly a 17% increase in bounce from the G20's. The two combined are, to me, a pretty significant difference and I think the club plays significantly differently that previous G series irons because of that. (The G20's, 15's, and 10's were essentially identical in terms of offset and bounce.) [b]For instance, if you were told that wedge A had 17% more or less bounce than wedge B, that would seem significant, wouldn't it?[/b]
[/quote]

No, not necessarily.

When Callaway came out (4 or 5 years ago ?) with one of its version of wedges (Mack Daddy ?) and Mickelson was playing them there was a concern about the rather large 16*(?) bounce angle on his SW. I play a TM XFT 56* SW with 16 degrees of bounce. It probably plays very similarly to a wedge with a wider sole that only has 14 or 12 degrees of bounce.

I imagine Ping did the same with the 20s and 25s. They narrowed the sole but increased the bounce to have them play similarly.

The explanation is fairly simple if you think about it. As the sole of the club gets wider the bounce angle needs to be lowered to produce similar playing characteristics (vis-a-vis bounce that is).

Imagine the club soled. Now extend the descending line representing the bounce angle on say, a narrow soled club. Now imagine the sole extended further back. As you do this you realize that the further back the line is extended the more the club would "bounce" YET the bounce ANGLE remains unchanged.

I'm sure Ping has its reasons for having changed the G25s the way they did. I play the 20s and love 'em. I'm a bit of a "digger" and the wider soles help me out on a slightly heavy hit. I've tried the 25s and have all sorts of issues with 'em.

Different strokes for different folks but I wouldn't get hung up on bounce angles. Hit 'em and see if they work for you,,,,,,
[/quote]

I have a set of G25's, and they do work for me. They replaced my i5's, and I traded in my sets of G10's and G5's in the purchase. So I've been down the Ping road for awhile now. (I've also had Eyes, Eye2's, Zing2's, ISI BeCu's, and i3's over the last 30+ years!)

Unlike the Ping guys, I'm NOT an engineer. But I'll stand by my belief that the G25's don't just LOOK different than the previous G irons; they have different playing characteristics. Offset is more than cosmetic, and so are sole width and bounce; that's all I was saying in my previous post. [b]And you kind of confirm that by saying that you use the G20's but that you had "all sorts of issues with 'em";[/b] I assume you are talking about ball flight there.

I don't know enough about club design to say for sure what Ping was trying to do with the sole and bounce changes in the G25 compared to the G20. My point was that as a percentage, those changes were significant and not merely cosmetic.
[/quote]

I'm not disagreeing with you. If you believe those measurements make a big difference then they do; to you. I'm not so sure others would agree the changes are as "substantial" as you believe they are.

But my point was not to get hung up on a somewhat confusing/misleading measurement such as bounce. I happened to stop by Edwin Watts today and looked at the G25s and noticed there is a little "relief" on the trailing edge of the club. I believe that would lower the bounce effect as well.

I think you described yourself as a "picker". That would typically mean that a narrow soled club would usually work better for you. So presumably the G25s would work better than other G series,,,,,,,,

Oh, and I mentioned I was having issues with the G25s, not my G20s. I find I can't tell where on the face I'm hitting the 25s and they feel very dull/numb even on center hits. I never feel like I've hit one flush. With my 20s I know every time where I'm making contact.

Just one guy's observations

[font=comic sans ms,cursive][color=#ff8c00][b]Cobra Bio Cell+[/b][/color]
[color=#000080][b]Adams A12 Pro 16, 20, 23[/b][/color]
[b][color=#696969]Ping G20, 5-SW, C-Taper stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]TM xft wedge 64[/b][/color]
[b][color="#000000"]Scotty Futura X[/color][/b][/font]
[font=comic sans ms,cursive][b]ProV1x[/b][/font]

I'm finalizing my order tomorrow am. Questions for current users. The lofts are only 3 degree difference from the 7 to 6 iron. Do you still have a 10-15 yard carry difference from 7 iron on down. Also, trying to figure out if I need to order 4-PW, 5-PW, 3 and 5-PW if gaps are close. I am ordering DGS300 shafts in these. Thanks for feedback.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1378173804' post='7788591']
I'm finalizing my order tomorrow am. Questions for current users. The lofts are only 3 degree difference from the 7 to 6 iron. Do you still have a 10-15 yard carry difference from 7 iron on down. Also, trying to figure out if I need to order 4-PW, 5-PW, 3 and 5-PW if gaps are close. I am ordering DGS300 shafts in these. Thanks for feedback.
[/quote]

Ya know I do down to the 5, but the 4 iron doesn't carry a whole bunch further off the deck for me, but I think thats related to my swing. Off the tee I still have about a 10 yard gap vs the 12-15 yard gap through the rest of the clubs.

Aerojet LS 9* - Aerojet LS 14.5* - Baffler 17.5* - Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

[/quote]

For the last 5 years I played 5 -PW, with the G25 I got the 4-PW and so glad I did. I get a normal 10 yard gap and that 4 iron is so much fun to hit and as easy as the hybrid it kicked out of the bag.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Callaway X hot pro 20* hybrid
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Callaway X tour 50*' 54* & 58*
Scotty newport

[/quote]

The i20 irons have a similar, though not identical, loft progression. I'd be inclined to skip the 5 iron, get the 4 1° weak, and the 6 1° strong. I'd then think about tweaking the club lengths a bit, have the 4 iron made -1/4". That would give an even 3/4" progression from the 6i to the 4i to the 3i.

It may be obvious, but I'm not a fan of loft compression in the long irons. LOL I tweaked my Ram and Mizuno sets to play 21° to 49° in even 4° gaps.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='Gbyeball' timestamp='1378216704' post='7790249']
[/quote]

For the last 5 years I played 5 -PW, with the G25 I got the 4-PW and so glad I did. I get a normal 10 yard gap and that 4 iron is so much fun to hit and as easy as the hybrid it kicked out of the bag.
[/quote]

Is it a 10 yard gap in the air or total distance. I'm more curious off the deck than the tee. Thanks.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Scotty Cameron Newport 2+ Putter

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

odshot68

I get 10 yards:carry increase from the 5 to the 4. I spend at least two days a week on the range and this has been the norm for me with these clubs since I got them in May.

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport

I haven't seen any distance bunching with the g25s, which was admittedly a concern before I received them. I am a low ball hitter by nature and I get so much more carry out of the 4, 5, 6 that they definitely have the standard 10 to 15 yard gaps.

For me, one of the greatest things with these clubs is how easy it is to work distance off of these clubs. Because they are SO easy to elevate, knock down swings still stop very quickly. Maybe release like 5 yards when I flight it down 3/4. So much easier to control than with the TM tp MC's I played previously where if I was in between clubs and had anything but a back pin, I HAD to go with the shorter club and step on it because I knew I couldn't land the ball on the green and stop pin high to a front or middle pin. Such an advantage. The PW has become such a favorite club that I don't lament the 7* gap between pw and 52 your gorge at all, which terrified me 6omths ago when I started testing.

[b]Ping G410 Plus[/b] 12* Fujikura Motore X F3 5S
[b]Titleist TS2[/b] 3HL 16.5* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Taylormade SIM2 Max[/b] 7W 21* Paderson Kinetix Launch 65S
[b]Callaway Rogue[/b] 21* 4h Mitsubishi C6 80S
[b]Rogue Pro[/b] 5-P Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Callaway Mack Daddy CB[/b] 50* Nippon Modus 120S
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 54 (bent to 56*) D Grind Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Titleist SM8[/b] 58 (bent to 60*) K Grind (Low Bounce) Nippon Modus 125 Wedge
[b]Fastback 2[/b] 34'' Stability Tour Black Shaft, SuperStroke GTR 1.0

...and all the crap that you can't work the ball with these big "I wanna go straight heads" is utter BS. You can work the ball, at least I can and I am crap player...with a driver.... :swoon:

Driver: Taylormade Stealth 2+ 9*, Proxima 5X 

Fairways: Callaway - Rogue ST LS 13.5* & Fujikura Red TR 5S // Callaway Diablo Edge Tour 15* & Miyazaki C Kua 43S

Hybrid:   Cobra Speedzone 3 hybrid 19*

Irons:       Ping i530 5-PW AWT 2.0 matte black shafts, JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips
Wedges: Cleveland CBX2 48, Ben Hogan Equalizer 52*, Cleveland Full Face 56*, KBS TGI 100 shafts
Putter:     LAB Golf Mezz Maz Broomstick ACCRA shaft, 44"
Srixon XV 5/6 or Vice Pro Plus. JumboMax STR8 Ultralite grips

Moe Norman/Graves Single Plane Swing

[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1378266623' post='7794527']
...and all the crap that you can't work the ball with these big "I wanna go straight heads" is utter BS. You can work the ball, at least I can and I am crap player...with a driver.... :swoon:
[/quote]

I agree completely, I can draw or fade my i20's pretty dang easy. I like how some people say they can't be worked and then the same guys say they are "hook" machines because of the offset. BRILLIANT.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

[quote name='Hstead' timestamp='1378296428' post='7795243']
[quote name='SwingBlues' timestamp='1378266623' post='7794527']
[/quote]

I agree completely, I can draw or fade my i20's pretty dang easy. I like how some people say they can't be worked and then the same guys say they are "hook" machines because of the offset. BRILLIANT.
[/quote]

I believe he's referring to the "G" series, not the "I".

But nobody said the Gs [u][b]can't[/b][/u] be "worked". Your just not going to get as much curvature as you'd get with blades or player CBs.

Can anyone compare/contrast the G25 irons with the G10's? I've had my G10's since the year they were introduced. I like them a lot. At a 7.6 handicap index I am a consistent player but irons are probably the weakest part of my game. My misses tend to be thin and sometimes too much right to left. If I could get some incremental improvement, perhaps it is time to move up since I do have hundreds and hundreds of rounds on my G10's yet could probably still sell them for a couple hundred dollars. Thoughts?

i experimented with G10xgs and now have G25s.
G10xgs w/AWT and the G25s w/KBS Tour (both stiff).

i'd say that the look/feel are the major differences (improvements) from the 10s to 25s.
[i]the ctp/insert gives the 25s a more solid feel and the slimmed down look is a matter of taste.[/i]

i'd recommend a professional fitting as you potentially could see improvements with your dispersion based on shaft/lie.

I just stopped at PGA Superstore at lunch time and spent awhile hitting the G25 7 irons on their launch monitor. I started with my standard R-flex stock steel shaft but then tried the TFC graphite. I was amazed that the graphite went about 5-7 yards further for me and felt better as well. I have never had graphite iron shafts. I would like to hear from those who may play graphite shafts in their G25's. Thanks.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378400335' post='7802257']
I just stopped at PGA Superstore at lunch time and spent awhile hitting the G25 7 irons on their launch monitor. I started with my standard R-flex stock steel shaft but then tried the TFC graphite. I was amazed that the graphite went about 5-7 yards further for me and felt better as well. I have never had graphite iron shafts. I would like to hear from those who may play graphite shafts in their G25's. Thanks.
[/quote]I had them, but didn't like them. Too light and my distances were not consistent.

Ping Hoofer

Ping G430 Max 10.5* 

Ping G430 Max 3/7W

Ping BPS 5-PW

SM10 50, 56*

SC Phantom 5.5

TM TR

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

first 9 holes with them today. After the irons took a trip from the UK to the Czech and back to the UK they arrived at my doorstep today just in time before I drove off for a quick nine. In one word these irons are amazing. 3-PW, regular CFS shafts black spot. Normally I don't carry a 3 iron but this one was just in the deal I got on the fleebay. Don't know if I will keep it in the bag we will see. Irons are at least one club longer than previous I20's. Due to a major swingchange, forced cause managed to have a nice shank, I changed to ping irons, first time ever. The i20's are great irons wich took me from 13 hcp down to a 9.8 in only a couple of rounds. The one thing I learned was the couple or more GIRs changed my game for the better. As I'm hovering from 9.8 to 10.2 I was wondering if I could shave some more off with more forgiving irons. Friends are calling me crazy and making jokes about the G25's but my expactation will be that they talk differently after my hcp drops another point. They are that easy to hit, still can fade or draw the ball but one thing stood out, the feel at impact. It's hot, got a nice sound and a ballflight wow...easy to keep down easy to work. I know it's early day's after only nine but the feeling is great. Will keep updated after some more rounds.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378380435' post='7800837']
Can anyone compare/contrast the G25 irons with the G10's? I've had my G10's since the year they were introduced. I like them a lot. At a 7.6 handicap index I am a consistent player but irons are probably the weakest part of my game. My misses tend to be thin and sometimes too much right to left. If I could get some incremental improvement, perhaps it is time to move up since I do have hundreds and hundreds of rounds on my G10's yet could probably still sell them for a couple hundred dollars. Thoughts?
[/quote]

I've had em all. Right from eye2's. I personally like the G25s the best so far. Close second is i5's. I'm nearly 40 and fluctuate around 9 hcp. G10's have a wider sole that you can see at address while the G25's are smaller. I feel more confident with G25's and have shot my best score with them but you are not going to find a monumental difference from G10's. Lofts are stronger and I think the CFS shaft is better than AWT but these are subjective things.

Bottom line: If you can spare the money I'd do it. The looks alone are worth it and if your confidence goes up, scores go down.

Stealth, TSR2, AP2's, and a JB Versa 

Demoed a G25 7 iron with CFS stiff and a JPX EZ forged 6 iron with 1150 Nippon in the course. I really really wanted the EZ forged to win, but the G25 performed better. I was hitting it higher and still the SAME distance as the EZ forged SIX iron. The 7 iron seemed to be borderline illegal cheating lol.

Just arrived home with my new Ping G25 irons with stock steel shafts. That's the benefit of being an average Joe in terms of fitting - black dot, R flex, standard grip, etc ... you can just pick them off the shelf at the local PGA Superstore. Excited to be hitting the course tomorrow morning for my weekly dogfight. Kind of sad though to pull my 7 year old G10's from the bag. Lots of memories in those irons.

[quote name='atlanta golfer' timestamp='1378507463' post='7809047']
Just arrived home with my new Ping G25 irons with stock steel shafts. That's the benefit of being an average Joe in terms of fitting - black dot, R flex, standard grip, etc ... you can just pick them off the shelf at the local PGA Superstore. Excited to be hitting the course tomorrow morning for my weekly dogfight. Kind of sad though to pull my 7 year old G10's from the bag. Lots of memories in those irons.
[/quote]

G25 lofts are a smig stronger. Be careful to not over club.;)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I have watched this thread intently...

I have been fitted and started my own thread about moving from Mizuno 825 pro's to something more forgiving. I know many think the forged feel thing is B.S. but it's something I'm used to. It simply is a factor for me.

I tried the G25 indoors on two flight monitors. Same with the i20s. I really, really, really wanted to walk out of there with G25's but I hit the i20's better.

Why? Who knows. I looked down on them and the i20 felt... or looked better to my eye. The G25 felt fine, not as precise as a smaller clubhead, but I read all the tech stuff and I KNOW the G25 has a measured sweetspot the size of a barn, away from the hosel. The i20 is nothing to sneeze at but technically not as 'user friendly' as the G25.

The rep told me the i20 is the best selling iron of 2013... maybe this is just in Canada, but still he felt coming from shiny Mizuno forgings, and compact heads, this might explain why I set up better to the i20's.

I walked out, and did a similar test on the range. I hit back and forth.... i20's, G25's and my 825 pro's. There was no doubt the i20's forgave toe hits specifically in a way that Mizuno's simply do not. The G25? Again, I had trouble setting up to it, but I KNOW the math is there, the physics are there, the G25 is an ultimately forgiving club.

So has anyone else experienced this? I WANT the G25, but usually hit the i20 better. If it's a mental thing, that's fine, I'll get over it, but obviously I don't want to throw money away. Do you think the G25 is marginally better than the i20 for forgiveness? Or is it a big difference?

[quote name='kiteman' timestamp='1378409949' post='7803215']
The G25s weren't bad in my experience, but the i20s were much better for me. I'll get the hooking problem every now and then, but I think it's swing not offset. Not turning the wrists over so severely keeps the balls straight. I hit a 4i 215y and [size=6][b]I'm a +12[/b][/size].
[/quote]

:shok:[size=4] :shok::shok:[/size]

[size=4]Tiger ? Is that you ?!?!?! :yahoo:[/size]

[size=1](Just playin')[/size]

[quote name='ColinMB' timestamp='1378514829' post='7809599']

I have been fitted and started my own thread about moving from Mizuno 825 pro's to something more forgiving. I know many think the forged feel thing is B.S. but it's something I'm used to. It simply is a factor for me.

I tried the G25 indoors on two flight monitors. Same with the i20s. I really, really, really wanted to walk out of there with G25's but I hit the i20's better.

Why? Who knows. I looked down on them and the i20 felt... or looked better to my eye. The G25 felt fine, not as precise as a smaller clubhead, but I read all the tech stuff and I KNOW the G25 has a measured sweetspot the size of a barn, away from the hosel. The i20 is nothing to sneeze at but technically not as 'user friendly' as the G25.

The rep told me the i20 is the best selling iron of 2013... maybe this is just in Canada, but still he felt coming from shiny Mizuno forgings, and compact heads, this might explain why I set up better to the i20's.

I walked out, and did a similar test on the range. I hit back and forth.... i20's, G25's and my 825 pro's. There was no doubt the i20's forgave toe hits specifically in a way that Mizuno's simply do not. The G25? Again, I had trouble setting up to it, but I KNOW the math is there, the physics are there, the G25 is an ultimately forgiving club.

So has anyone else experienced this? I WANT the G25, but usually hit the i20 better. If it's a mental thing, that's fine, I'll get over it, but obviously I don't want to throw money away. Do you think the G25 is marginally better than the i20 for forgiveness? Or is it a big difference?
[/quote]

I absolutely experienced this. I ordered the G25's and have been playing them for about a month now; they are everything I hoped they would be. BUT the i20's were THE best feeling irons I have ever hit. I ordered the G25's because I'm 61 and only buy clubs when technology really changes; the G25's replaced i5's in my bag. I have no doubt that I did the right thing, but in a perfect world (you know; the one where I won the lottery...) I buy the i20's and go a few years with 'em, or just use them when I'm swinging it well.

I really believe that the i20's and G25's will join the Eye2's, i5's, and maybe G10's as landmark designs by Ping, and that you will see them in bags of serious low handicappers for years to come.

[/quote]

I am in the same situation as you having played MP53s, 59s, and 32s over the past couple of years. I tried G15s before those and had issues with the long irons going left. I went to the i20s thinking the adjustment would be easier because they are more player looking. Tried 2 sets with KBS tours and CFS stiffs. Didn't get along with either one.

I have been scoring pretty decent with my MP32s but realized I was scrambling alot to do so. When my driver is working, the 32s are cake. But when the driver is off (unfortunately pretty frequently), I had to scramble for pars. GIRs are hard to get with long approaches. A good day for me is 6-7 GIR. So I put off hitting the G25s until today when I took the demo out on course. I dropped balls from about 155-160 out on 8 holes and hit the 7 iron and hit 7 greens out of 8 shots. The 8th one was actually long, hit a bank and went OB. Just because I didn't have the distance dialed in. The 7 iron was easy to look at, but still didn't hit all the shots well. But the results were there.

If the long irons ae nearly as easy as the 7 iron, I can't see not getting a set. I suggest trying them out for a few months and get acclimated to them. They are much easier to hit than the i20s. You need to get used to them though.

[/quote]

Toe misses and fat hits are my weakness. I tried the G25 and the I20. I loved the I20. I even tried intentional misses. Even though I like the appearance of the G25, and it doesn't bother me that they're large at all (I even get it that the bigger size should make them easier to hit, which will lead to better scores, which is my only goal!), they just didn't do it for me, and I did prefer the I20's. I got to hit a used set of I20's with X100's (my current shaft) at a +1" setup (I'm a bit longer than that) and just simply decided the I20's were money. I've also been playing players cavity backs for a long time now. Maybe they were just too much of a change. But they're just not something I liked to hit, and I'm not even a good golfer mind you, but irons are one of my strong points.

Well I did pick up a set of G25s with CFS just to see what the hype is about. I used to play G15s and have been using the full wedges set for 3 years no. So I though, well, let's see if full set is fun to play with again.

So far my impression is that the feel is inferior to my TPCBs. However the shots are good and the carry is improved for some reason. I was hitting my TM's pretty well so the Pings have to produce special shots for me to go with such terrible feeling club (sorry guys the feel of the face is terrible).

BTW, am I the only one to see a significant fade bias to these? It's playable but somewhat distinctive.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

[quote name='rafal' timestamp='1378544721' post='7810809']
Well I did pick up a set of G25s with CFS just to see what the hype is about. I used to play G15s and have been using the full wedges set for 3 years no. So I though, well, let's see if full set is fun to play with again.

So far my impression is that the feel is inferior to my TPCBs. However the shots are good and the carry is improved for some reason. I was hitting my TM's pretty well so the Pings have to produce special shots for me to go with such terrible feeling club (sorry guys the feel of the face is terrible).

BTW, am I the only one to see a significant fade bias to these? It's playable but somewhat distinctive.
[/quote]

First time I have ever heard someone say they are fade bias, some say hook bias, which they are not. They are straight bias. The large amount of offset can screw with you visually, coming for the TPCBs and you can set up with the face not being squared up. Ball postion needs to be tweeked as well and this could be why they feel "terrible" to you. I came from MP 32 and when you flush the G25 they feel almost as good, which is saying alot, seriously. Back to the set up issue. Coming from blades with next to no offset I felt there was more latitude for ball postion. With the G25s big offset I can catch it low on the club face if I am playing the ball back in my stance and it does feel terrible, just dead and dull.No doubt about it they do not have a true pure feed back, either nice when flushed or dead and clunky when not. But as you said "shot are good and the carry is improved"

Ping Rapture V2
Ping G15, four wood
Ping G25 - 4 to PW
Scotty newport