QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

QMany

Slicefixer...there is a name I haven't heard in a while. I remember when he used to post on this forum regularly.

When I first picked up the game, I found this site looking for new irons. I learned about Slicefixer and took the trip down there with some buddies. Before that, I had a terrible 10-ginger baseball grip, bad posture, etc. I haven’t heard much talk about him recently either. I’m friends with his son on social media and try to follow his college playing career.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

No love for the 10 finger grip!?!

I don't think it was so much the 10-finger grip but more so how those 10 fingers were awfully applied! :taunt: I think my thumbs ran straight down the top of the shaft or maybe even on the wrong side.

Taylormade TP5

2nd Lesson with George Gankas (GGSwingTips)

Westlake Golf Course, Westlake Village, CA

April 1, 2017

• Mental game. Using his new FocusBand, he can now measure and observe players as they go through their pre-shot routine and shot. (Here's is Matt Wolff using it.) It was helpful to see what it feels like when he can see I'm in the right state of mind.

Here's GG's Instagram post of me using the FocusBand. It was cool to feel that at the time, but months later, it was hard to remember or replicate that feel. Recently, I saw Justin Rose has been using it to work on his pre-shot routine. Unfortunately, they are $500 retail. So I've been keeping an eye out on eBay and WRX classifieds to see what they go for ($250-375). They just don't pop up that often on the secondary market. A review of closed eBay bids showed only one sale in October.

Randomly, I found an auction for a new one on eBay. Because they don't pop up that often, I don't think they are on many golfers' radar. I snagged it for only $115! I'm looking forward to testing it out and seeing how useful it may be fore me. If not, it should be easy to unload. But I think I need to get a XXL hat to wear over this thing, I can't rock the headband look too often. :taunt:

Taylormade TP5

No love for the 10 finger grip!?!

I don't think it was so much the 10-finger grip but more so how those 10 fingers were awfully applied! :taunt: I think my thumbs ran straight down the top of the shaft or maybe even on the wrong side.

I’ve tried a few times to get away from it but progress is slow and I always throw in the towel

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

Slicefixer...there is a name I haven't heard in a while. I remember when he used to post on this forum regularly.

When I first picked up the game, I found this site looking for new irons. I learned about Slicefixer and took the trip down there with some buddies. Before that, I had a terrible 10-ginger baseball grip, bad posture, etc. I haven't heard much talk about him recently either. I'm friends with his son on social media and try to follow his college playing career.

I remember his posts were always well thought out and his advice very good. I was new to the game myself and I still practice the 9-3 drill.

I'm really intrigued by the new Taylormade drivers, specifically the TwistFace technology.

TaylorMade_M3_M4_driver_Twist_Face.jpg

Watching a few features with DJ, it seems we have similar tendencies; we both like to hit the cut and miss a little high-toey. Those toe bangers can get going low-left really quick, which isn't ideal when you're aiming down the left end of the fairway.

Taylormade TP5

So far i'm hearing pretty good things about the tech but only way to really see if it makes a difference is to try it on the golf course alongside my driver. I look forward to doing that come spring.

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

2nd Lesson with George Gankas (GGSwingTips)

Westlake Golf Course, Westlake Village, CA

April 1, 2017

• Mental game. Using his new FocusBand, he can now measure and observe players as they go through their pre-shot routine and shot. (Here's is Matt Wolff using it.) It was helpful to see what it feels like when he can see I'm in the right state of mind.

Here's GG's Instagram post of me using the FocusBand. It was cool to feel that at the time, but months later, it was hard to remember or replicate that feel. Recently, I saw Justin Rose has been using it to work on his pre-shot routine. Unfortunately, they are $500 retail. So I've been keeping an eye out on eBay and WRX classifieds to see what they go for ($250-375). They just don't pop up that often on the secondary market. A review of closed eBay bids showed only one sale in October.

Randomly, I found an auction for a new one on eBay. Because they don't pop up that often, I don't think they are on many golfers' radar. I snagged it for only $115! I'm looking forward to testing it out and seeing how useful it may be fore me. If not, it should be easy to unload. But I think I need to get a XXL hat to wear over this thing, I can't rock the headband look too often. :taunt:

Since the advent of PET and fMRI, and the lack of correlation of scalp EEG and their findings, I expect the sole utulity of the focus band will be paying attention to it instead of the other thoughts.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

Since the advent of PET and fMRI, and the lack of correlation of scalp EEG and their findings, I expect the sole utulity of the focus band will be paying attention to it instead of the other thoughts.

That sounds above my pay grade. :beruo:

I'll see if I find any utility in it. At only 25% retail, I figured I can sell it easily if it doesn't work out. I know Jason Day used to use it and Justin Rose does now. I've tried it twice now, at home putting and at the indoor hitting facility going through my pre-shot routine. I have definitely found myself thinking far less about mechanics and multiple swing thoughts, which probably isn't a bad thing. :cheesy:

How have you been, northgolf? How's your game?

Taylormade TP5

http://www.golfwrx.com/362458/are-you-a-head-case-how-neurofeedback-can-help/

Yours truly making a cameo appearance in the Instruction section of WRX doing some focus band work with my coach. I found it to be quite helpful, and intend to use it with my high school kickers/punters in the future.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

http://www.golfwrx.c...dback-can-help/

Yours truly making a cameo appearance in the Instruction section of WRX doing some focus band work with my coach. I found it to be quite helpful, and intend to use it with my high school kickers/punters in the future.

Thanks for the link! I never saw that article before. There aren't a whole lot of FocusBand reviews online.

Taylormade TP5

Thanks for the link! I never saw that article before. There aren't a whole lot of FocusBand reviews online.

It took well over 6 months for WRX to actually post this from the time the article was submitted. Coach and I had a good laugh about that.

Interestingly, my coach tested the band on one of his other students who is higher single digit player but he glowed seriously green. His occupation? F-35 instructor pilot. Big part of that job is being able to process gobs of incoming information rapidly to mentally stay ahead of the jet, so his brain is very much inclined to function as such.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

http://www.golfwrx.com/362458/are-you-a-head-case-how-neurofeedback-can-help/

That is a very interesting article. Should be interesting to see how that works for you Matt.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

• 3 weeks later...

It took well over 6 months for WRX to actually post this from the time the article was submitted. Coach and I had a good laugh about that.

Interestingly, my coach tested the band on one of his other students who is higher single digit player but he glowed seriously green. His occupation? F-35 instructor pilot. Big part of that job is being able to process gobs of incoming information rapidly to mentally stay ahead of the jet, so his brain is very much inclined to function as such.

This article is very interesting and this is first I've heard of FocusBand. I know Rob personally and have worked with him running a tournament over a decade ago. Very knowledgeable guy.

I'll have to look into this FocusBand. I'll admit that I'm guilty of having negative thoughts before hitting a ball when I'm not at my best. I can imagine my feedbacks would run brighter than Rudolph's red nose. Ha

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

That sounds above my pay grade. :beruo:

I'll see if I find any utility in it. At only 25% retail, I figured I can sell it easily if it doesn't work out. I know Jason Day used to use it and Justin Rose does now. I've tried it twice now, at home putting and at the indoor hitting facility going through my pre-shot routine. I have definitely found myself thinking far less about mechanics and multiple swing thoughts, which probably isn't a bad thing. :cheesy:

How have you been, northgolf? How's your game?

I am doing all right. My game is in the deep freezer of winter.

I ended the season hiiting the ball well for me (my last 5 rounds were all in the 70s with some difficult conditions).

I finally found a swing thought that counteracts 30 years of being 6-8 ballerina: I try to feel like I am hitting up on the ball. Basically, this gets me to come into impact with secondary tilt and my hands in front of my body. Now this is just the thought, not the reality. The reality is I might now be a 7-8 flat foot.

On another note, I have picked up the SSG sticks and am working on that over the winter. It would be nice not to give up a football field the Chris off the tee.

You had an awesome year last season, looking forward to reading about this year.

If I do this 11,548 more times, I will be having fun. - Zippy the Pinhead

On another note, I have picked up the SSG sticks and am working on that over the winter. It would be nice not to give up a football field the Chris off the tee.

Quite the coincidence! I picked up my SuperSpeed Golf set this weekend and was doing my first protocol about the same time you posted. My takeaway so far, I'm super awkward swinging lefty! :taunt:

You had an awesome year last season, looking forward to reading about this year.

Thanks, buddy! #TheProcess

Taylormade TP5

SCOTTSDALE TRIP #3

February 1-4, 2018

About 3 years ago, my best friend relocated from KC to Scottsdale. He is a personal trainer and had an opportunity to join Premier Fitness Systems, one of the up-and-coming training facilities in the nation. Since then, they have exploded! He works with Scott Stallings, Kevin Streelman, Ryan O'Toole, and more recently Lydia Ko. He was recently named one of Golf Digest's Top 50 Golf Fitness Professionals. Each year, I try to visit him, get out of the KC winter, and play some golf.

This year, it was just a coincidence that I planned my trip over the Waste Management Open weekend. We were originally planning on attending at least one day to follow some of PFS' clients. But once we started planning the golf portion of the trip, the Open took a backseat.

Scottsdale National

On my first trip to the valley, my buddy got us on a Scottsdale National:

This was an “experience.” If you haven’t heard of Scottsdale National, it is GoDaddy.com founder Bob Parsons’ new project north of Scottsdale. Reading stories on here and hearing them first-hand from members, he certainly pissed some people off when he took over the club. Parsons wants it to be “destination course.” If you aren’t bringing guests and/or dining, he doesn’t want you there. Due to some of his policies, the membership was whittled down to 70. It is off the beaten path a few miles North of Troon.

Full_Size_Render.jpg

Parsons recently purchased 600 acres of land adjacent to the course. He's building another 18-hole championship course and a 9-hole par three. At that time, he'll expand membership to only 250.

page04scottsdalenationalgolfclub*750xx3000-1688-0-156.jpg

The views are unbelievable. There are no houses within site, just desert as far as you can see.

Full_Size_Render_2.jpg

The layout itself is not that great, and was very gimmicky at times. There are more fairways split by large bunker complexes and blind landing areas than I have ever seen. I didn’t find the design itself to be that great.

IMG_5053.jpg

Since that visit, they have completed the 18-hole "Other Course" and Par 3 "Bad Little Nine." Our host seemed to share many of my viewpoints on golf course architecture and the original 18 now called "Mineshaft." We didn't even step foot on Mineshaft. We played 18 on the Other Course, the Bad Little Nine, and then another 18 on the Other Course. It was one awesome day of golf!

Our host owns Old Sandwich GC, Golf Digest Top-50 in Plymouth, MA. He hired Crenshaw-Coore and built the club in 2004. All day, I get to pick his brain about design, ownership, and other clubs he's played including Augusta.

27657622_849083248852_6493031390523049377_n.jpg?oh=8773834dcf7ba428a346719b8576006c&oe=5AE17A15

The Other Course

If you would have told me this was a Crenshaw-Coore design, I wouldn't have been surprised. Instead, it was built by Jackson Kahn Design, who surprisingly did Mineshaft too.

The Other Course was awesome, one of my favorites I've ever played! It has wide corridors and great use of angles and strategy. The green complexes are varied, from enormous 30,000 square foot behemoths on long par fours (below) to small undulating complexes on shorter holes.

27655205_849083458432_9200599160143190044_n.jpg?oh=c036251129f86882c6ff12787b354be0&oe=5ADE0DE6

We were told that they were rolling 11, but it seemed perfect with how firm and true they were. It would be a great course to play with some buddies of varying skill levels and a few good bets. It allowed a lot of options. I didn't feel like I had to hit one shot to one place or get beat up if I didn't.

Video from front nine par three.

Bad Little Nine

This is a lot of fun! It reminds me of The Preserve at Bandon Dunes, but much more extreme! Holes range from only 65-125 yards to some crazy green complexes.

On Fridays, they have impossible pins. I'm talking on top of knob with only 1 square foot where a ball will stop or else it will roll back to your feet impossible. Just insane! There is a standing offer, Parsons will pay you $1000 if you shoot E or better. No one has ever collected! James Hahn went out one morning and practiced for hours with two balls putting to the pin locations. He managed to shoot E, but Parsons said it didn't count because of the on-course practice! :taunt:

#9 is crazy, the green looks to be about the size of my car. I'd guess it is 100 square feet and surrounded by sand. If you laid the flag down in certain directions, it is hanging over a bunker.

27540815_849083263822_8234186564716221129_n.jpg?oh=e731cac8ddeb3dee07f09d9098556946&oe=5B150974

Our host played with Peter Uilhein a few weeks ago. Peter needed a double on 9 to win the $1000 prop bet; he walked off in disgust/anger 8 shots later.

They put a +9 prop on me, but I was able to get up and down for par from the bunker on 9 for +7, 34!

Facilities

The place is top-notch. They recently renovated the practice facility, which was already amazing. It is no wonder the PXG Staff use it as a home base. We talked to Pat Perez on the range and on the course and Ryan O'Toole on the putting green. Lydia Ko was also there, and stories about her practice routines are legendary (3 straight hours in one bunker, then another 3 hours nothing but low chips, etc.).

DC Ranch

I'll just get this out of the way, I was really underwhelmed by this layout. I've never had so many tee shots where I didn't know where to hit it. You literally can't see any of the fairway on multiple tee shots, or a sliver at most. It was just really hard for a first-timer. It also called for one shot and one shot only, and you were re-teeing if you didn't execute. It was pure target golf. And I didn't really enjoy it.

27545489_849083343662_1857981254610837136_n.jpg?oh=95381cc174c5b5c0def36bff27938651&oe=5B1E786F

It did have some cool vistas though!

27331729_849083428492_8871035432564184763_n.jpg?oh=75b12a968134dec2f38450e3209816f4&oe=5AE05E58

Our host was 4-time club champion, course record holder (59!), and former Arizona Mid-Amateur Champion. He can golf his ball!

27459700_849083154042_594953398906212238_n.jpg?oh=edfd3cad1115fda5e44db2c08273dcc0&oe=5AE49E9A

Our 4th was a prospective member who just moved to Scottsdale, recently retired NFL DE Paul Kruger. He is one large man! We thought he aced the short picturesque par three 13th.

27541007_849083188972_2034598138984208005_n.jpg?oh=647268f59e2dfcf90e05709ef727b3d0&oe=5B20E020

The greens, practice facility, and clubhouse were pretty awesome. Tom Lehman calls DC Ranch home and lives on 10.

27540294_849083443462_3689795212676959751_n.jpg?oh=8daa100d7f5e47d34297353615eefa7c&oe=5B25FBDE

Ak-Chin Southern Dunes

For three years now, I have been wanting to get to Southern Dunes. I have never heard one bad word about this layout and often here it is the best in the area. However, it is a little jaunt south of town so it probably gets less pub than others in Scottsdale proper. We had an early morning tee time, and I found the 45-minute highway drive quite easy. It would turn out to be well-worth it!

27540141_849083119112_5772478689958321538_n.jpg?oh=e58877e4692dfb32f541d5bf7c068ba8&oe=5B1329EC

Luckily, we met up with One_Putt_Blunder. If you don't follow him on here, Twitter, or Instagram, he has some great course reviews and has played most courses in the area. We had a blast! I found we had really similar tastes in courses, and we talked architecture most of the round. He is a great dude!

27656981_849083288772_9116789289909690732_n.jpg?oh=1ba8ff677962741b7c16890a8fd951e6&oe=5B106874

(My buddy PFS Trainer Andrew Hannon, OnePuttBlunder, and myself).

Our group was hot right out of the gate! My buddy and OnePuttBlunder both threw darts into #1 and made birdie.

27752320_849083104142_1358199151421160220_n.jpg?oh=c8df508680265bf5b746178953e8852b&oe=5ADC1D36

Here is a quick except from my course review in the Traveling to Phoenix - Course Info thread:

Course: I think the layout is really well done! The surrounding desert areas aren't too penal; you're finding your balls without risking life and limb through cacti. It was just a lot of "fun" that I haven't had playing a few other courses in the area. It has a great mix of holes:

• Medium par threes (4 & 11)
  • Long par threes (6 & 17)
  • Short par fours (2 & 14)
  • Medium par fours
  • Long par fours (8, 12, 15)
  • Reachable par fives (3, 7, 16)
  • Long par fives (7 & 13)

It is probably missing a true "short" hole.

Conditions: Overall, I would give it an 8.5. I thought the greens were great, and that is always my #1 concern. A little thin in areas but a perfect speed and firmness. I think they might keep the fairways a little too "lush," I'm more a fan of firm and fast "brown is beautiful" way of thinking. But the fairways and surrounds did have a decent amount of bounce. There were a few patchy areas (back middle of #1 green and end of #15 fairway). But overall, for a public course at that price point, pretty darn good!

Overall, it might be my favorite course I've played in the area, or at worst tied with Scottsdale National "Other Course." I have also played Scottsdale National Mineshaft, Greyhawk Raptor, WeKoPa Saguaro, Talking Stick North, and DC Ranch.

27337153_849083089172_9197215809915429977_n.jpg?oh=3bbdf5958a47e29d99ceeca137f39d5a&oe=5B1AA839

We were all getting around pretty well. I had a three-putt bogey from patchy fringe on #1 and failed to get up and down from relatively easy places on #4 and #15. I found myself +3 going into 16 and then went on a tear I don't know if I will ever match.

I challenged the bunkers off the tee on 16 to leave 192 into the par five. A good 6i left me about 30 feet from the fringe. It was dead straight the entire way, and I walked the last 10 feet of my eagle putt in like Tiger! On 17, I flushed a 5i straight over the flag. The pin was right under a ridge; I was dead. I hit a beautiful soft pitch that landed a few feet before the ridge, checked, and then trickled in! I pulled my drive on 18 into the greenside bunker. It was dead, with only about 8 feet in front of me before a medium lip and some buffalo grass. I had no business hitting a high cut 8i from 166 with water right, but it was the final hole of my trip. Probably the best shot of my life, no joke! I walked in the 12 footer to finish eagle-birdie-birdie and post 71!

It was the perfect end to a perfect trip!

Taylormade TP5

Awesome write-up Q! I enjoyed following along with your instagram updates. I see that Light Aqua Ultra Polo from the Nike sale made it into the rotation haha

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

Curious to hear our thoughts on the TM heads.

I'm really looking forward to testing out the M3 and M4. I know the TwistFace isn't some magic pill, but I'm intrigued. I play a cut 99% of the time with driver, and toe-bangers kill me.

Taylormade TP5

Shout out to cvhookem63! He started Pine Curtain Customs and has been making some incredible custom pieces. Check them out on Instagram (@PineCurtainCustoms) or shoot him a PM. Ideal size and hefty weight, perfect!

27971731_849775990592_1261985548826140889_n.jpg?oh=8400e9ca41f9397f5f47fc2d82b6084f&oe=5B0C419E

27657221_849775995582_7208309571508662816_n.jpg?oh=025a1f036e0be1795a2835a74ad16de8&oe=5ADE2DF9

27751983_849775985602_8717441781310379157_n.jpg?oh=1e7c6978ecc7872e846b735c26090b55&oe=5AE1C845

Taylormade TP5

Q; how are you liking the SuperSpeed Golf system a week or so in? Just ordered them, looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Q; how are you liking the SuperSpeed Golf system a week or so in? Just ordered them, looking forward to your thoughts. Thanks!

I like it so far! I do wish I had a radar unit, but I'm not dropping another $100. I am pleasantly surprised, it isn't an easy workout. I find myself sweating pretty hard and having to take a break or two. I don't necessarily care about my top-end all-out speed. But I want to be able to swing what feels like in-control 80% but with my previous all-out CHS.

Taylormade TP5

Pretty incredible to see George working with Adam Scott!

Robert LusetichVerified account @RobertLusetich 15h15 hours ago

Adam Scott on the range at Riviera working with LA instructor George Gankas. #GenesisOpen

DV8KIxcUQAAY_Di.jpg

Ben EverillVerified account @BEverillPGATOUR 15h15 hours ago

Noticed Adam Scott on range at Riviera working with @ggswingtipsgolf Talking posture and swing etc.

DV8Svv6UMAAeskr.jpg

If you haven't watched many of George's videos, he specifically mentions Adam Scott when talking about bad setup. It may look picture perfect to some, but George thinks it throws off his balance points and makes him have to back out of it a little. He still loves his swing, just not his setup. How cool, he gets to put his observations and theories into practice with the man himself!

Taylormade TP5

Pretty cool to see! I'm glad for George, I like his stuff and have been trying to apply it for a little over a year now and I've never hit straighter irons in my life.

I wonder if he'll try to make any changes to Scott's setup? Maybe try to soften it a little but I doubt a full on change from what his setup's been forever.

Driver - Callaway Epic Max LS 9.0
3 wood - Cobra F8
Irons 3-PW - Mizuno MP54
Wedges - Vokey SM5 50°, Cleveland Zipcore 54°, Cleveland Zipcore 58°
Putter - Odyssey Stroke Lab 3