QMany's Swing/Sticks (KS Mid-Am Team Champion p. 125)

QMany

And you still have money to ho clubs?

I haven't bought a club since I was fitted by Callaway at the ECPC. I'm going to need a new 60* wedge over the off-season, but that is it. I'll likely go through 2018 with the same setup, although a new Apex Pro iteration would be hard to look away from.

The new X Forged is what will be replacing the '16 Apex and Apex Pro. Haven't settled on what irons I'll be playing next year, but one possibility would be ordering a set of X Forged with the lofts of the shorter irons adjusted to match those of the Apex MB so I can carry a 52* and 58* while adding a club at the long end of the bag instead of carrying a 45* PW, 50* GW, 55* SW, 60* LW.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

I haven't bought a club since I was fitted by Callaway at the ECPC. I'm going to need a new 60* wedge over the off-season, but that is it. I'll likely go through 2018 with the same setup, although a new Apex Pro iteration would be hard to look away from.

The new X Forged is what will be replacing the '16 Apex and Apex Pro. Haven't settled on what irons I'll be playing next year, but one possibility would be ordering a set of X Forged with the lofts of the shorter irons adjusted to match those of the Apex MB so I can carry a 52* and 58* while adding a club at the long end of the bag instead of carrying a 45* PW, 50* GW, 55* SW, 60* LW.

In a Callaway Facebook Live video yesterday, they were saying that the X Forged isn't really a direct replacement for the Apex Pro. 1 Piece forging, and they said that it'll be less forgiving than the Apex Pro.

In a Callaway Facebook Live video yesterday, they were saying that the X Forged isn't really a direct replacement for the Apex Pro. 1 Piece forging, and they said that it'll be less forgiving than the Apex Pro.

a chopper like Q best get the more forgiving apex pro :tongue: :lol: :tongue:

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I can understand why they would say that because the Pro will likely stay in the line for a (short) period of time and there are notable differences in the construction. However, it's hard to envision a scenario where Apex Pro sales will continue to be strong enough after X Forged is out there to warrant keeping the Pro in the line-up for very long. Not saying I'm absolutely right about that, just my hunch. Sounds to me like they're trying to semantically soften the blow for the guy who likes his '16 Pros and might be frustrated by them being replaced in the product line 2 years after initial release.

WITB Link

I can understand why they would say that because the Pro will likely stay in the line for a (short) period of time and there are notable differences in the construction. However, it's hard to envision a scenario where Apex Pro sales will continue to be strong enough after X Forged is out there to warrant keeping the Pro in the line-up for very long. Not saying I'm absolutely right about that, just my hunch. Sounds to me like they're trying to semantically soften the blow for the guy who likes his '16 Pros and might be frustrated by them being replaced in the product line 2 years after initial release.

Agreed on all counts.

Too little variation between the two offerings. Too fine of line, probably splitting the same target demographic.

• 2 weeks later...

It is favorite time of the year to play: 50-70 degrees and greens are finally perfect.

It is just unfortunate that this window is so short. "Winter is coming."

23031362_1779678895407089_6596969947465359762_n.jpg?oh=9ed68b6cdb7f76e6f9674746e1b8c992&oe=5A6BC841

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

It is favorite time of the year to play: 50-70 degrees and greens are finally perfect.

It is just unfortunate that this window is so short. "Winter is coming."

23031362_1779678895407089_6596969947465359762_n.jpg?oh=9ed68b6cdb7f76e6f9674746e1b8c992&oe=5A6BC841

Fantastic, really makes me miss golf in the MidWest. It does not, however, make me miss the shorter playing season.

WITB Link

Great year Q!!

Time to recharge, work on a few things and get ready for next year.

Any new or different events you looking to play in next year?

I've considered adding an event or two. I thought about the Nebraska Amateur or Texas Mid Amateur to visit Bram, but unfortunately they all seem to have residency requirements.

To be honest, it gets pricey too. Just last year:

• Kanza Players Cup (including new bag) $230
  • Konza Prairie Amateur $150
  • Kansas Amateur Qualifier $90
  • Kansas City Fourball $150
  • Kansas Amateur $110
  • Heart of America Fourball $100
  • High Plains Amateur $135
  • Kansas Mid Amateur $165
  • Kansas Mid Amateur Series $75/ea.

$1,205 for entries and that doesn't even include travel expenses, cart fees, etc.

Don't even get me started on USGA entry fees; the 18-hole Mid Amateur and Fourball Qualifiers were $175 and $150 respectively.

That is a crap ton to play not that awesome courses... guess that's why I retired until this year. I didn't even realize the we just paid $165 dollars to play Lake Quivera...

$1,205 for entries and that doesn't even include travel expenses, cart fees, etc.

Don't even get me started on USGA entry fees; the 18-hole Mid Amateur and Fourball Qualifiers were $175 and $150 respectively.

That is a crap ton to play not that awesome courses... guess that's why I retired until this year. I didn't even realize the we just paid $165 dollars to play Lake Quivera...

You know, I had realized how much money it is in the aggregate but never thought of it like that; and you're right. $75/round at Colbert Hills, $82.50/round at Lake Quivira, and $75/round for Mid Amateur Series are borderline ripoffs. But $200 for one round at Firekeeper and minimum three rounds at KCCC is pretty darn good, especially if you can ball out like you did and play six rounds!

And congratulations, Park! GolfWRX, meet your 2017 Kansas Mid Amateur and Kansas City Masters Champion!!! This dude can f'n play, one of the best I've ever had a chance to play with/against. Thankfully, he's on my side for the Kanza Players Cup! Hopefully he's sick or out of town for our Club Championship soon. :taunt: "The champ is here!"

Taylormade TP5

You know, I had realized how much money it is in the aggregate but never thought of it like that; and you're right. $75/round at Colbert Hills, $82.50/round at Lake Quivira, and $75/round for Mid Amateur Series are borderline ripoffs. But $200 for one round at Firekeeper and minimum three rounds at KCCC is pretty darn good, especially if you can ball out like you did and play six rounds!

And congratulations, Park! GolfWRX, meet your 2017 Kansas Mid Amateur and Kansas City Masters Champion!!! This dude can f'n play, one of the best I've ever had a chance to play with/against. Thankfully, he's on my side for the Kanza Players Cup! Hopefully he's sick or out of town for our Club Championship soon. :taunt: "The champ is here!"

handicap +5.5 will work out ok I guess! Welcome Park

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Q curious to get your opinion on the new adidas shoes. If I missed it some where, sorry.

917 D3 8.5 Xphlexx Agera Orange RF Proto
SLDR Mini 12 Evo Speeder TS 757x
SLDR Mini 15.8 Rogue Black 110 80TX
Srixon 765 4-6 PX LZ 6.0
Srixon 965 7-PW PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 50 PX LZ 6.0
Vokey TVD 54V & 58V
Bettinardi Studio Stock 14 or Odyssey O-works 7

Taylormade TP5

Don't make me blush Q. Now that I got back into golf this year, I'll start trying too hard and playing bad before you know it don't worry.

PS: You were right on the Kanza deal, wound up being the starting point for getting me back to playing tournaments again. So I owe you thanks for that.

I remember reading of concerns with the wearability of the Apex Pros finish once upon a time. Just curious how your irons have held up to the rigors of practice and tournaments?

I keep ditching my AP2s for 4 year old and bought used Legacy Blacks by the end of each of the last two golf seasons and am thinking Callaway vs. Titelist for next iron set.

I remember reading of concerns with the wearability of the Apex Pros finish once upon a time. Just curious how your irons have held up to the rigors of practice and tournaments?

I keep ditching my AP2s for 4 year old and bought used Legacy Blacks by the end of each of the last two golf seasons and am thinking Callaway vs. Titelist for next iron set.

I haven't had any problems with wear, and I practice A LOT. My 9i has a little face wear that you'd expect from a forged club, but nothing crazy.

Taylormade TP5

I haven't had any problems with wear, and I practice A LOT. My 9i has a little face wear that you'd expect from a forged club, but nothing crazy.

LOL, saw your wedge pics so I figured if these clubs hold up for you, they should be good for the rest of us! Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The USGA just announced the 2019 Fourball has been relocated to Bandon Dunes!

Chambers Bay was supposed to host, but they going through a turfgrass transition project and have been shelved until 2021. With the 2018 US Open at Shinnecock, 2018 US Am at Pebble, and now 2019 Fourball at Bandon, the USGA entry numbers this year could be insane.

Taylormade TP5

Great year Q!!

Time to recharge, work on a few things and get ready for next year.

Any new or different events you looking to play in next year?

Great playing! I hear you that it's getting almost too expensive to play in out of town tournaments, especially when one factors in hotel, travel and meal expenses. Not to mention paying for son's college tuition. I only played in two Missouri Golf events this year, only because I was able to sleep in my own bed.

Those are nice courses.

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Stealth 10.5, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 3HL GD DI-7 stiff

TM SIM2 Rescue 19* & 23*

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 52* & 58*

Odyssey DART 47"

• 1 month later...

The old adage seems true, "Time flies when you're having fun!" 2017 was a great year but really did fly by. Before sitting down to pencil in my 2018 golf and non-golf goals, I thought it would be cool to look make on the year.

March 11 - My first Hole-in-one!

4666d3f2756ab09f29feca30f00f4806.jpg

Quail West Golf & Country Club - Lakes #3

186 yards, Callaway Apex Pro 7i

April 1 - Lesson with @GGSwingTips

We worked on getting a fuller shoulder turn, shallowing earlier in transition, mental game, and most importantly correct rotation through the ball:

[media=]

[/media]

May 15-16 - Kanza Players Cup

At this time last year, I set a goal to qualify for the Kanza Players Cup. The Top-8 Mid-Amateurs from East Kansas and the Top-8 Mid-Amateurs from the West Kansas square off in a Ryder Cup event alternating between host sides. Rankings are based off of Player of the Year Points which are awarded for high finishes in the KGA championships and other events. Due to a few Top-10s in big championships and 3 Mid-Am Series event victories in 2016, I finished 6th in the East and qualified!

2qnxxyc.jpg

After Monday morning Fourball, Monday afternoon Foursomes, and Tuesday morning Singles, I finished 1-1-1.

16k7r55.jpg

More importantly, the East won 10-6!

2kpoi.jpg

sg49jm.jpg

June 20 - Kansas Amateur Qualifier

I shot 73 today at Firekeeper GC and qualified for the 2017 Kansas Amateur at Kansas City Country Club! 51 golfers for only 18 spots, and the scoring was much lower than I've experienced in past qualifiers despite some good Kansas winds. My wife "caddied" for me, and we had a blast.

19260499_802450611032_6986250644539858494_n.jpg?oh=cd620a56a6785a347bd1257691189a87&oe=5AEE49C1

July 17-23 - Kansas Amateur

2017%20KS%20Am%20logo.jpg

I shot 73-75 to qualify for Match Play for the first time!

CLUBHOUSE-PUTTING-GREEN-AERIAL.jpg

In the first round, I drew University of Kansas golfer, Andy Spencer. Last month, he torched the field at The Watson Challenge, hosted by Tom Watson to crown the best player in Kansas City (pro or am), winning by 7!

I played really well, and we had a great match. I was 2U after 14, but hit it in the trees on 15 to make bogey. On 17, I was 1U. A severe dogleg left, he hit it dead straight, what I thought was jail, but it kicked straight down into the rough. He hit an incredible punch 3W under the trees from 290 to 15 feet to square the match. I was short-sided in the deep rough on 18 but hit a great chip to 2' to extend.

On the first playoff hole, I had a severe hanging lie, so aimed about 8 yards left of the tucked right pin. I thought I flushed a wedge, only to look up and see it squirting right into the deep rough. I couldn't get up and down, and he beat me with par.

It was a tough way to finish, but I don't hang my head. I take nothing but positives from this experience. I made match play for the first time and then took one of the best players in the city/state the distance. It gave me nothing but confidence about how far my game has progressed; I can play with the best.

My dad caddied for me, and it made the experience even more memorable.

(Long socks are a club rule, so I was in my element!)

DFNcc-pUAAEsTC0.jpg

August 7-9 - Heart of America Fourball

The Kansas Golf Assoc. and Kansas City Golf Assoc. recently revitalized a great event, the Heart of America Fourball. It has rich history with great champions including Payne Stewart, Jim Colbert, Matt Gogel, etc.

I paired with a member from my club, and we went in as the #6 seed on the Kansas City Golf Assoc. side. We won two matches and advanced to the Quarterfinals before being knocked out in a 21-hole slugfest.

26196488_843700665592_8425914661586402907_n.jpg?oh=3fe3300f651294e626cd0f55fa01bb82&oe=5AFCD1E2

26196356_843700670582_5119930901984003439_n.jpg?oh=9f1240f8c896fda2cee6a538df255062&oe=5ABBEC44

August 26-27 - High Plains Amateur

Southwind%2015.jpg

I wasn't striking it very well, especially my mid-irons, but I managed my game well and a solid Saturday 72 put me in the penultimate group. Unfortunately, I was birdie-free on Sunday and two balls found the gunch, which took me 2 and 3 shots respectively to get out, and dashed my hopes of a title. Still, I finished T8th.

21271059_820094961612_4583632073298969130_n.jpg?oh=3450275a4d65001df85b873bcb0a891e&oe=5A60CECD

End of Season

Again, I finished 6th in the East in Mid Amateur Player of the Year rankings and qualified for another Kanza Players Cup! The West will host at Flint Hills National, Golf Digest #97 and 2017 USGA Junior Amateur host, on May 14-16.

flint-hills-national-no-18-banner.jpg

Taylormade TP5

A red-letter year for you, bubba, well played!

Thank you! It was a lot of fun.

I'm looking back on my results and statistics in order to set goals for 2018 and figure out an improvement plan.

Taylormade TP5

Just a few short years ago you were a long and loose 4 or so index when we met down at Doral on the TMaG trip!

Congrats on all of your success, it's been fun following along with you as you've taken it to the next level. Hope you have an awesome 2018!

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

Great year Matt!

Its be fun following you throughout the summer. I look forward to seeing what this year brings.

Twitter: @itsnotgriffin
Site: [url="http://www.thebottomgroove.com/"]www.thebottomgroove.com[/url]

WITB:
Callaway Big Bertha Epic 10.5
Callaway BBA 5 Wood
Callaway XR 7 Wood - Frankenstyle
Apex Hybrid 23deg
Apex Pro 5i-PW
MD3 52, 56 W-Grind
MD3 60 PM Grind
Odyssey O-Works - #1/3T (putter commitment issues)

Do the Canadian Mid Am one year. it's in Victoria BC next summer

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

Do the Canadian Mid Am one year. it's in Victoria BC next summer

Any idea what kind of entry numbers and acceptances for foreign entries?

Taylormade TP5

Much Respect for how far the game has come man. I will always remember beating balls and spending hours on the practice green at the muni course range in Topeka while you were finishing up law school bud!

Kyle

Taylor Made M6, 9*, Project X Hzrdus Black 6.5, 75g
Taylor Made RBZ Tour Spoon - Aldila RIP Alpha 80X
Taylor Made SLDR 19* Hybrid KBS C-Taper 130-X
Mizuno MP-53 4-9 DG X-100
Vokey 46,50,54,58 DG S-400
Odyssey O-Works Black Jailbird Mini S
TaylorMade TP5X

Much Respect for how far the game has come man. I will always remember beating balls and spending hours on the practice green at the muni course range in Topeka while you were finishing up law school bud!

Those were the days, man! I think it was like $100 for the entire season for a student or something crazy like that. Fresh off a trip to Texarkana to see Slicefixer. It is fun to think about my game then and now. We need to peg it ASAP!

Taylormade TP5

Those were the days, man! I think it was like $100 for the entire season for a student or something crazy like that. Fresh off a trip to Texarkana to see Slicefixer. It is fun to think about my game then and now. We need to peg it ASAP!

Slicefixer...there is a name I haven't heard in a while. I remember when he used to post on this forum regularly.

ps: you started this thread on my birthday. lol