Most embarrassing shot you ever hit?

boxerjoe2011

I wouldn't believe this unless I saw it myself....

I was playing with my wife's uncle and he chunked a wedge (hit more than just a little fat) from the deep rough, taking a large divot....
It was wet and the divot stuck to his clubface. The ball ended up landing in the front part of his own divot.

The best part was that the grass and mud that was stuck to his clubface came off and the end of his abreviated follow through....and smeared his hat, face and shirt with dirt on its way down.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='mich_ping' timestamp='1380225693' post='7915591']
I wouldn't believe this unless I saw it myself....

I was playing with my wife's uncle and he chunked a wedge (hit more than just a little fat) from the deep rough, taking a large divot....
It was wet and the divot stuck to his clubface. The ball ended up landing in the front part of his own divot.

The best part was that the grass and mud that was stuck to his clubface came off and the end of his abreviated follow through....and smeared his hat, face and shirt with dirt on its way down.
[/quote]

Been there, done that :(. #neverwearwhite

Epic 9.0° Rogue x
Optiforce 15° Rogue x
X Forged UT 3 KBS
Apex Pro 4-PW KBS
Mack Daddy 2 52°, 56°, 60°
Odyssey ProType #3.1 mod
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/869684-rpvl-dutchwitb/"]WITB Link[/url]

(this happened before the round).

Playing with a member at a very high end course in Toronto - that is closed .. it is December and it is 58* out .. perfect day to sneak in 10 or 12 holes

My bud and I meet him at his house which sides one of the tee boxes on the back 9. This is the first time I've met him .. he needs a few minutes. He is standing behind his screen door holding his infant son, his dog is at his feet and his 3 yr old boy is standing beside him holding his hand

I am making small talk and practice swings on his front lawn ... and unleash a massive beaver pelt (a 4" wide by 12" long and deep divot) that slams into the screen door right at this guys chest level. He and his two boys and mutt are covered in a spray of dirt

Ping G400 LST 11* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.9* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping Blueprint S 5 - PW Steelfiber 95 & 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

EvnRoll ER9

My dad's most embarrassing shot was a whiff I've told before on this site

He can't hit woods. His best score is 106. He's had one birdie in his life. He is 70 and plays 3 or 4 times a summer

On the ninth tee he "hits" a 3 iron so fat the ball pops directly up in the air about three feet and then drops straight down down into his divot hole. His divot "flap" (the front of the divot was still attached) than slams down directly on top of the ball, in effect hiding the ball

My father, brother and brother in law nearly peed our pants, we laughed so hard for a good 10 minutes

EvnRoll ER9

Put a brand new TM Rocketballz driver in the bag. The first hole is playing down wind, so I tee the ball high to launch that sucker a mile down the fairway. I take a mighty swing, and go right under the ball. The ball must have gone at least 50 feet straight up, and came down 2 feet from my tee. To add insult to injury, I had a nasty sky mark on the top of my gleaming new white driver. Oy veh.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

Not my most embarrassing single shot, but by far the most embarrassing series of shots EVER!!!!!

Played at Edgewood in Tahoe this past weekend. I think it was the 11th hole, par 4 over water (someone correct me if I'm wrong). All of these shots were on or around the tee box. So on the front 9 I've been pulling my 3 wood off the tee and it's been rolling into hazards so I aim right over the water. Do I pull it left? Nope. I block it out to the furthest part of the water...SPLASH. I tee it up again and pop it up this time...SPLASH. I tee up another one and in an effort to not pop it up I hit it thin...skip...skip...SPLASH. Now I'm 5 off the tee. I could drop it where it crossed the water, but nope. Tee it up again and this time I pull out driver. Off the toe slice...SPLASH. NOW I decide to drop where it crossed. Pull out the FW again and chunk it. Finally I hit crush a FW and it ends up behind a tree. All I could say to my playing group was "F**K!NG pride".

My regular playing buddy (76 yrs old lefty) keeps telling his story to anyone who listens. Par 4 15th hole , 388 yrds , #6 hdcp hole, 1st shot - driver off tee hooks right into the trees. 2nd shot - driver off the deck into the trees 50 yrds ahead. 3rd shot - driver off the deck into trees 50 yrds ahead. 4th shot - holes a wedge for par.

I think we all love to overcome adversity.

Let's see... 97 posts. Sounds like a compilation of my typical round of golf. One swing = one embarrassment. :blush2:

> Callaway GBB driver (set D, -1, 9.5°) w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex, 45.5"
> GBB 5 wood w/Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50, R-flex (set D, -1, 17°), 42.5"
> XR 7 wood (21°), 9 wood (23°) w/OEM Project X LZ, R-flex
> Callaway XR 4-LW w/ Recoil 660, F3, +.5", 2° up
> Golf Pride CP2 Wrap grips (blue)
> Odyssey White Ice Mini-T putter 35"
> Pinnacle Gold or Wilson 50 Elite

Tournament, Hot Chicks everywhere....Im playing lights out that day.....Par 3 so everyone is watching, trying to win a car etc...... Since I was on a hot streak....the 5 other people in my group is asking yardages from me and club ideas....me being stupid open my mouth acting all stupid (in front of the chicks).... you should hit this, distance is this blah blah blah.... So everyone hits.... no one is close to the green..... of course its my turn...everyone in anticipation and figuring I should be good talking all that crap........ low and behold...golf gods strike down thee with the biggest chunk you have ever seen.... red an embarrassed as hell, Im tell my group for honor I want to hit another for fun. My next shot is 3 inches from the pin almost hit a hole in one..... Gawd I hate this game as all the girls are giggling while im running down the hill to my first ball with my tail between my legs...

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

It wasn't me, but I saw a guy I play with a lot thin the tee shot on a par three right into the top block of the retaining wall in front of the tee box (which is only about three inches high) and bounce backwards about 20 yards.

Cobra Amp Cell Driver
Cobra Amp Cell 3wood
Adams Super LS 3 hybrid
Mizuno jpx-825 pro irons 4-PW
Cleveland RTX wedges 52, 56, 60
Odyssey White Hot Rossie

Busy, difficult, and thoroughly enjoyable course in north Florida that will remain nameless. Back tee box is sort of tucked back behind where the starter shack is, which is next to the middle and forward tees, with the LARGE practice green just forward and to the right.

I go to the back tees and pop one up. Skied it right off the crown of my driver. Had not done that in years. Crown dented, paint cracked. I have to shout [size=6][b]"FOOOOOOOORE PUTTING GREEN!!!!!"[/b][/size] and I see half a dozen people cover up and another half dozen or so turn and look back at me. My Titleist smacks right in the middle of the green.

I tee up another one, hit a marginal drive out there, and donate the ball to the practice green...

Adaptive Golf.....look out for the one-armed man:

Ping G425 Max Driver, 5W, 7W....+2"

PXG 0211 hybrids, 25*, 28*, 31*….+2”

PXG 0211 8i - SW….+3” or Sub70 699 8i - SW….+4”

Bobby Grace F-22 side saddle

5 wood that I hit cleaner than I ever have in my entire life on a long par 5. Wasn't trying to go for it in two, but the strong wind caught it, rolled up right next to the guys in the group ahead of me. Including the president of the course. Now I'm known as the guy that hits into the group in front of him :(

I was 15 iin the mens club champ years ago. There was some discussion whether I should be allowed to play as it was a MEN'S club and I was a junior. They let me play though and after day one of two day event I was tied for 1st with one of the more outspoken guys not wanting a junior in the field.

I'm taking full practice swings at the back of the tee box FAR away from anyone. Next thing I know... WACK!!! I smoke the guy in the temple with my club head on my back swing. He'd backed into me while laughing at someone's joke!
I turn around and he's out cold bleeding profusely from the face.

He ended up being ok but had to leave and go to the ER for 12 stitches right near his eye.

The starter and the head pro told me it was an accident and not to worry about it. I was shaking so bad and so full of adrenaline that I could barely stand.

The upshot is I ended up winning but I was labeled "the assassin" after that and pretty much blushed and felt terrible every time I saw the guy going forward. Everyone said the only reason I won again the next year was because they were all worried I'd put them in the hospital so they let me have it. As a kid, the whole thing was pretty embarrassing.

A few years back i had a Hole 10. Reachable 280 par 4. I can see the groundskeepers working around the green and sprinklers on. Well, I'm a short hitter so I give a go and spurt out a mishit puny 150 drive. I get up to my shot, grab a PW and look for an "ok" from the maintenance guys. The two of them climb into their cart which is about 75 yd away on the right side treeline and hunker down and give me the thumbs up. Hmmm.....something about this don't aint jiving. Oh well, here goes nothing. I blocked a screamer that literally turns right for them. I'm saying this ball is moving fast. Both guys bail from both sides of that cart with their hands covering their heads!! All I could think to yell was "WATCH OUT!!!!"

Everyone was ok and I was thankful. They were actually laughing about it. But since then I decided to get a much better understanding of club face control.

On a similar topic,
A buddy of mine was a long drive type and let one get away from him off a tee box. Goes terribly off to the right and right thru the roof of the cart. Don't ask me how but it did. Unfortunately a lady was standing there with her hand leaning against the cart. Missed her by inches. To this day he's still shook up and basically refuses to play. Scary stuff sometimes.

GI to Blades to SGI= Golf is now fun

I'm a terrible player still but hit my drive perfect on a par5 and had about 220 left to the green. I should have laid up with an iron, but Was playing with one of my coworkers and his playing group for the first time and decide to pull my hybrid that I can't hit for the life of me. I hit it square off the toe and and shoots hard right on the ground, where there happened to be an access road for the grounds crew and proceeds to roll 100yrds down the road.

I've seen the bury the ball in the turf thing with my beginner friends all the time when its really wet out, always good for a laugh.

Brother - skips golf freshmen year of HS for hockey, heard about golf from me all the time and we live on a course so he plays as much as I do. Makes the team sophomore year, first tee, first match, bombs one right towards the adjacent hole, everyone watching the ball flight and we see someone on our team drop in the middle of the fairway. Hit him in the chest on the fly and knocked the wind out of him. My bro quit playing after the season.

Gf - playing on vacation in Florida, backup at the turn so we get drinks, wait 20 minutes, finally our group is up now with a few groups waiting behind. Tee markers are painted coconuts, she toes one off the marker straight back into her side. I'm trying not to laugh when she spins around and just starts swearing and yelling at me, I'm like wtf? She thought I threw a ball at her or something because she couldn't understand how she could have possibly hit herself! After she calmed down we both had a pretty good laugh about it, she was embarrassed because people were watching though.

Me - any of the countless s*** shots I've hit off the first tee in competitive situations.

Ping/Epon/Scratch/Bettinardi WITB Link

[quote name='DavePelz4' timestamp='1378912184' post='7832123']
8th hole on the General at Eagle Ridge is a sharp dogleg right, just under 380 yards. If you cut the corner and nuke it, it's possible to drive the green or end up very close. This a very hilly course along the Mississippi River.

Decided to try it and hit a rare flush shot ending up about 20 yards short of the green but with a trap between the ball and hole. Playing smart (yeah right), I took the bunker out of play and went to the right of the hole but the ball took a bounce right and found the cart path. The ball rolled down the entire path back into the valley almost 200 yards from the green. It took several minutes for the ball to meander and I could just feel my blood pressure rising as it went further and further from the hole.

My regular golf buds still bring up that shot as the longest lob wedge shot they've ever seen...traveling almost 180 yards. Fortunately, I can laugh about it now...
[/quote]

I'm dying here!! This is the best one. haha

TM R11 8'/ Grafalloy PL Red s
TM R11 17'/ Grafalloy PL Red s
(3-LW) TM RAC MB TP Riffle 6.0
Odyssey No.9 w/ Oversize grip

Two bad ones I can remember:

First: was playing in a college tournament where the course had greens probably rolling 12 or 13. I had flown a green that sloped back to front and the pin was back middle. All I could think was a flop shot was my only hope. I hit about an inch behind it causing my club to bounce right over the ball. It didn't even oscillate. Two guys in the group just gave me the wtf look and asked what happened.

Second: I was playing a down hill dog leg right par 4 in which you could launch one over a tree and be very close to the green. I tried in vain. I basically shanked driver right in between a foursome that was putting on the next green which dog legged back up the hill. It sizzled past some guys ear before I could the first word out of my mouth.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Not a passive brag

Played the Old Course twice last Fall. First round we are playing in gusts up to 60mph and on #16 I drive it into Grant's Bunker about 40 yards short of the green. Had to be a 360 yard drive down fan. It went forever and my caddie said she'd never seen a ball in that bunker. Side note: [size=4]I am seriously hungover and enroute to shooting a 92 as a 3.3 index (with pars on the last 3 holes and a couple of 2 putt birdies on 10 and 12, short par 4. [/size]

[size=4]I was of course carrying on with my buddies about this prodigious blast. As you know, when your game has left you sometimes you seize onto the rare golden nugget[/size]

[url="http://www.standrews.org.uk/Play/Courses/Old-Course#prettyPhoto[i_old-course-overview]/15/"]http://www.standrews.org.uk/Play/Courses/Old-Course#prettyPhoto[i_old-course-overview]/15/[/url]

Anyways, I hunker down into this pernicious little trap with my 64*, ultra concerned about getting it over the face of the pot bunker, and hit a blast way off the toe of the LW, it hits the OB stake right of the green and just trickles down back inside OB line. Thank goodness I got it up and down. The Golf Gods taught me something there !! And of course, my friends rode me all night about it

EvnRoll ER9

Jack Pearsall - when he was 16 - hit a lady golfer's back with a tee shot.
He was aiming for her legs. Total fail. :(

Taylormade M5 Tour 10.5* 

Taylormade 300 Series 15*

Taylormade Sim2 Max 18*

Titleist 818H2  21*

Titleist 718 TMB 4 24*

Titleist 718 AP2  5-PW

Mizuno T20  54*   58*

Taylormade Spider GT  #3

Not my story but my buddy just told this to me at work the other day, and my sides exploded from laugher. My buddy went out with his dad, and two other friends to the local course. This older man in his 70's was out there with his grandson. My buddy let the older guy and his grandson play through. The older guy walked up to the tee, and set up at address. From a distance, they observed a brownish stream traveling down the mans pant leg. Without hesitation the disciplined and focused man hit the ball down the fairway. Afterwards, the man picked up his tee, turned to my buddies group and said, "Gentlemen, i'm 70 years old. When you get my age, remember, never trust a fart". He said they all died laughing including the 70 year old guy.

Playing in an SCGA tournament on the first tee, where they announce my name and city. I took out the driver and hit a duck hook that went about 140 yds and only 10 feet of the ground. I then had to punch out and hit a tree, so I punched out again. I hit a 5 iron to about 25 feet and made the putt for my best bogey ever. :taunt: