Starting a new adventure . . . Minimalist Golf

student of the game

I have followed this thread for a long time. Although not a true minimalist bag, when my wife and I travel I will scale back my bag quite a bit, so that we can pack both sets into one travel case. I typically will use a Ping Moonlite bag with: Driver, 3 wood, then 5 iron through SW, and putter. I punt the hybrid, the 4 iron, the gap wedge, and the lob wedge. I can certainly get away with those 10 clubs pretty easily, and my scores do not change basically at all. At my home course I can scale it back even more knowing the par 3 distances and having a pretty reasonable guess as to what irons I may need for those. Everything else you can kind of figure out as you go. I enjoy it, its kind of fun to hit half shots, etc.

• Like 1

Driver: Ping G430 Max

Fairway: Ping G425 Max

Hybrid: Adams Pro Black

Irons (5 to U): Ping I525

Wedges (56, 60): Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth

Putter: Bettinardi BB5

Our course is CPO tomorrow and only one nine open.

I’m gonna walk with my TM Quiver bag:

Driver

3h

5h

7/9/G

NO putter!  Putters weigh a lot.  

I can putt pretty well with the 5H, armlock style.  I find it has enough loft to counteract the hot face, so the stroke needed is similar to my putter.  The 3H is way too hot.

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

On 10/26/2022 at 9:36 PM, spiderml said:

Any bag suggestions? I'm looking at somewhere between an 8-10 club set to play full time when all is said and done. With my current bag (an Ogio Fuse 304) I find that with all the water I like to carry for 18 (often 2L+) my bag gets quite lopsided when carried with less than a full set, with the storage compartment running noticeably lower. Currently considering a Sun Mountain 2.5+ or Mizuno Kilo. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. 

I really like my Callaway PAR3 "mini" stand bag.  Plenty of room if you use jumbo grips or something of the sort, or it could easily fit a full set.  Two pockets and a quick access net pouch for storage and the strap system can be setup for single or double.  I love the single because it reminds me of when I first started the game.  

• Like 2

AI Smoke TD 9° w/HZRDUS Yellow

Epic Flash 12.5° w/Voodoo VS

'24 Apex UW 19° w/Rogue Silver

Epic Flash 20° w/VS Proto 
'19 Apex Pro 5-9 w/DG

MD2 47° & 52° + PM 1.0 58° & 64° w/DG
Odyssey White Hot 2 Ball Frankenstein (Fowler style)
[img]http://pxc86358mpx1hyn3hdxen4o1.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/08/171831.png[/img]

• 1 month later...
On 10/29/2022 at 8:24 PM, Snowman9000 said:

Our course is CPO tomorrow and only one nine open.

I’m gonna walk with my TM Quiver bag:

Driver

3h

5h

7/9/G

NO putter!  Putters weigh a lot.  

I can putt pretty well with the 5H, armlock style.  I find it has enough loft to counteract the hot face, so the stroke needed is similar to my putter.  The 3H is way too hot.

How many putts did you have? Any three putts? 

14 hours ago, Oh Hi Carl said:

How many putts did you have? Any three putts? 

I didn’t end up doing that.  I think we came up with a betting game and I rode 18 with a full bag.

• Like 1

M4 Driver
4, 7, 9 woods

5, 6 Adams hybrids
7-GW Maltby irons
54 & 58º Wedges
LAB Mezz.1 box stock

Just built a 10ish degree bag.

Driver (10 degrees) - Mizuno STZ220

Hybrid (21 degrees) - PXG Gen 2

7 iron (bent to 30) - New Level 902os

9 iron (bent to 40) - New level 902os

50 degree wedge - CBX2

60 degree wedge - CBX2

Putter

Halflight bag.

One round in and not much different in scoring.  Little worried about the gap between 20 hybrid and 30 degree 7 iron.  Easier to manufacture short shots compared to trying to control distance on partial hybrid shot.  Have an 19 degree hybrid head, may use that turned down to 18 and throw something else in around 25 degrees of loft.  Fun experiment.

On 12/29/2022 at 6:46 PM, jrg75 said:

Just built a 10ish degree bag.

Driver (10 degrees) - Mizuno STZ220

Hybrid (21 degrees) - PXG Gen 2

7 iron (bent to 30) - New Level 902os

9 iron (bent to 40) - New level 902os

50 degree wedge - CBX2

60 degree wedge - CBX2

Putter

Halflight bag.

One round in and not much different in scoring.  Little worried about the gap between 20 hybrid and 30 degree 7 iron.  Easier to manufacture short shots compared to trying to control distance on partial hybrid shot.  Have an 19 degree hybrid head, may use that turned down to 18 and throw something else in around 25 degrees of loft.  Fun experiment.

How do you like the Halflight bag? They seem interesting.

2 hours ago, WipeyFade said:

How do you like the Halflight bag? They seem interesting.

I love it, it's very light but sturdy construction.  I got the navy blue and it's a nice looking bag, had many people ask where I got it.  Definitely no thrills, one main club location with a sewn in tube that acts as a divider for a few others, I use for driver and hybrid.  one pocket and a small zipper pouch up high that I don't really use (I thinks its a valuables pouch).  It's probably only good for 7-8 clubs. I've put as many as 11 and start to get some tangle pulling them out.  I definitely recommend, especially if going to a minimalist setup.

• Like 1

Just now, jrg75 said:

I love it, it's very light but sturdy construction.  I got the navy blue and it's a nice looking bag, had many people ask where I got it.  Definitely no thrills, one main club location with a sewn in tube that acts as a divider for a few others, I use for driver and hybrid.  one pocket and a small zipper pouch up high that I don't really use (I thinks its a valuables pouch).  It's probably only good for 7-8 clubs. I've put as many as 11 and start to get some tangle pulling them out.  I definitely recommend, especially if going to a minimalist setup.

That sounds like it would be perfect for my setup. The max amount of clubs I have carried for the past 2 years is 9, I mostly carry7 or less.  Is the top structured like a Jones or is it just fabric? 

On 12/31/2022 at 11:12 AM, WipeyFade said:

That sounds like it would be perfect for my setup. The max amount of clubs I have carried for the past 2 years is 9, I mostly carry7 or less.  Is the top structured like a Jones or is it just fabric? 

Just fabric.  More like the Titleist light carry bag.

Edited by jrg75

1 minute ago, jrg75 said:

I tend to take clubs out and put them in while I’m walking. Do you know if that is difficult? I currently carry a PING Moonlight and the top is solid so it’s not that bad with it. 

2 minutes ago, WipeyFade said:

I tend to take clubs out and put them in while I’m walking. Do you know if that is difficult? I currently carry a PING Moonlight and the top is solid so it’s not that bad with it. 

Tbh, I think pulling and putting clubs in with the bag on a shoulder or while walking will be difficult.  When you carry, because the top is not structured, it kinda squishes down based on weight of bag.

• Like 1

Krikey, I just found out about the 18-club rule for 2023. Now being a half-setter means 9 clubs...bit much...will call it 'minimalist golfer' from now, like this thread.

Bag 1: 2h: Srixon ZX4h: TM M1 ('17) ; Irons: MD Golf 7i & 9i, Wedges: RTX full face 52o & 58o; Putter: Spalding Pro Flite

Bag 2: 3h: Nickent 3dx; 3i: Cobra One-Length utility; 7i: TM M4; 8/9i: Inesis 500; Wedges: AW: TM RSi (50o); Cleveland RTX full face 54o; RTX 588 60o; Putter: Ping

5 hours ago, spud3 said:

18 club rule...?????

https://www.prweb.com/releases/2022/12/prweb19053502.htm

"From increasing the maximum number of clubs golfers can carry from 14 to 18 clubs, eliminating 2 stroke out of bounds, free drop for balls in divots in the fairway, lift rake and place in bunkers, 3 putts max, no limit on driver COR, MOI, increasing max driver cc’s from 460 to 600cc’s, free relief from roots and rocks, no groove restrictions, allowing alignment sticks, green slope measuring devices, elevation, and information processing devices and making golf carts legal for tournament play, these changes are sure to turn heads."

6 hours ago, rukahs said:

"From increasing the maximum number of clubs golfers can carry from 14 to 18 clubs, eliminating 2 stroke out of bounds, free drop for balls in divots in the fairway, lift rake and place in bunkers, 3 putts max, no limit on driver COR, MOI, increasing max driver cc’s from 460 to 600cc’s, free relief from roots and rocks, no groove restrictions, allowing alignment sticks, green slope measuring devices, elevation, and information processing devices and making golf carts legal for tournament play, these changes are sure to turn heads."

That isnt the USGA

• Like 1

I play nearly every day at a 6-hole Par 3 course.  Not a typical pitch and putt, most holes are in the 130-160yd range, with one playing upwards of 200yd off the bad tee if the hole is cut in the back.  So I usually only carry 5-PW, 60* and Putter.  When I would go play a "big" course, I tended to load up the bag with all 14 clubs.  Then I would review afterwards and realize I didn't hit 3-4 of the clubs.

So now I only tend to carry these 10 clubs:

-Driver

-16* hybrid

-20* hybrid

-6 thru PW

-60*

-Putter

The 20* hybrid has a slightly shorter than usual shaft (and a soft flex) so it plays closer to a 22-23* in terms of elevation and distance.  I've also practiced a ton with the 60* wedge, and can hit just about any type of shot around the green with it.  It isn't fancy, just a cheap Wilson with a bit extra heal relief for flops, and a smoother rolled leading edge to bump shots.  

I've started playing rounds with an older friend, off the "senior tees."  I just leave the driver in the car, and use the 16* hybrid off the tee.  Sometimes the forward tees only chop off 10 yards from the total distance, so the approach shots can actually be a bit more difficult.  Instead of driver and 9i, it plays hybrid and 7i.  Scoring doesn't seem to change much.

I sometimes feel like a local rule of "nothing stronger than 20* off the tee" would help a lot of older shorter muni courses play closer to as designed.    

• Like 4

Ping G425 MAX Flat Big + (Grand Bassara 29R)

Adams Idea Pro A12 Proto 16* and 20* (Adams Ultralight 50 Ladies)

Honma Rose Proto 4-9  (Bassara 50HI)

ProtoC P2 46.5* (Bassara 50HI)

Ping Glide 4 52* and 58* (BAssara 50HI)

McGregor Bobby Grace VFoil M5K Putter

16 hours ago, rukahs said:

I've never heard of the GHA.  Those are not the official rules of golf.  More like the Pipe Dream Rules of Golf.

You'll need to go the USGA site for the real deal.

• Like 1

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Been a warm start to winter up here in the North. 

Really enjoyed playing an 8 club set up.  Light to walk with, simple decisions and get to have fun playing different types of shots.  

My set up:

Driver

20* Hybrid

5,7,9 Irons

48,56 Wedges

Putter

Bag: Bag Boy Trekker Ultra Lite 3lbs

Edited by trying2scratch
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, jordan2240 said:

Maxfli air bag with driver, mini-driver, 5i, 6i, 7i, pw, and putter.  Never enjoyed golf more.  Carrying a light bag is the most convenient way to navigate around a course, and I have yet to regret leaving any club out of the bag since I started doing this a few months ago.

I’ve been playing a half set since for 2 years. I used to lug 14 (sometimes 15) clubs around in a stand bag and ended up giving golf up for a few years because it just wasn’t enjoyable anymore. I was more focused on scores and getting better than I was just going out and having fun. Now I go out with my Moonlite and 7 and have a great time. 

• Like 2