2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges: In-hand pics of all grinds and finishes

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if the raw black is actually raw or is it just the colour.

[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913D2 8.75* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 913F 16.5* w/ Diamana Blue S[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ping Anser 20* w/ TCF 800 s[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#008000][size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 716 T-MB 3 Iron w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Mizuno MP5 4-PW w/ KBS C TAPER LITE X
Titleist SM6 52* KBS TOUR 90 S
Titleist SM6 58* STOCK
Odyssey #7[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Hookshot33' timestamp='1393781458' post='8778334']
[quote name='Philipp' timestamp='1393781021' post='8778274']
[quote name='scratchswinger' timestamp='1393716111' post='8773792']
Regarding the finishes, I thought the chrome was by far the best stock finish. However I would probably get the black and coke it to raw. I would give this wedge 5 stars in every category if there was no Gold Nickel, to me that fin
[/quote]
You can't "coke" them.
[/quote]

Yes you can, the black is the raw option in the SM5s
[/quote]

I doubt that. However, I'd be happy if I'm wrong.

[i]Quote form Team Titleist: The SM5 Raw Black finish is an unplated QPQ finish[/i]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quench_polish_quench"][i]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quench_polish_quench[/i][/url]

[quote name='Philipp' timestamp='1393801768' post='8781782']
Regarding the finishes, I thought the chrome was by far the best stock finish. However I would probably get the black and coke it to raw. I would give this wedge 5 stars in every category if there was no Gold Nickel, to me that fin
[/quote]
You can't "coke" them.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[i]Quote form Team Titleist: The SM5 Raw Black finish is an unplated QPQ finish[/i]

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quench_polish_quench"][i]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quench_polish_quench[/i][/url]
[/quote]

Good find!

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1393801904' post='8781796']
[quote name='Philipp' timestamp='1393801768' post='8781782']
[/quote]
You can't "coke" them.
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Good find!
[/quote]

Shows what I know! Good find, although I sure hope it is relatively easy to remove or else I think they will have made a big mistake

As the sig shows, I have 3 wedges coming - 48 52 56 in the Gold Nickel finish.
Can't wait to get my hands on these on course!

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1393789970' post='8779250']
[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1393789885' post='8779240']
[quote name='kevcarter' timestamp='1393789432' post='8779186']
[quote name='FSUbulldog' timestamp='1393788278' post='8779072']
Could someone elaborate the beinifts of "coking" it to a raw finish? Either way, it's still going to be a raw steel, correct? So, what effect does adding the rust give the wedge?

I don't mean to come off wrong, I'm genuinely curious.
[/quote]

Simply cosmetic. Some prefer the look.
[/quote]

Thanks! I thought I heard the rust had some effect on spin; if I remember correctly, it was in the New Taylormade Wedge thread?
[/quote]

We used to think that, but we were proven wrong years ago... :D
[/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. I'll have to see how these experiments work out for the members.

Driver: Titleist TSi3 9° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 6.2X

Fairway Wood: Titleist TSi3 15° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.2X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi3 20° | Fujikura Speeder Tour Spec 8.8X

Irons: Titleist T150 4-PW | KBS Tour V 110s 

Wedge: Vokey SM9 Raw Finish 48.10F, 54.10S, & 60.10V | Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5.5

Putter: Scotty Cameron Limited Release Champions Choice Flowback 5.5 Button Back

[quote name='Quasimoto' timestamp='1393818495' post='8784672']
[/quote]

The Gold Nickel is my favorite of the finishes too. From address it doesn't glare nearly as much as the new Tour Chrome finish even in the sunlight and to me is hard to really tell its gold. Now looking at it close up or as it sits in the bag is a different story. I have two tour raw TVD wedges and the reason I chose the Gold Nickel was because from address it looked the most similar to those... I think that finish will do just fine. There have been several other OEM's use a gold looking finish with success over the years... PING used BeCu in irons and wedges that are still sought after 30 years later and Cleveland used BeCu and BeNi with success in their wedge lines. I remember those Cleveland wedges sold for $20 more than their stock chrome finish and used to sell out nearly instantly.

[b]XHP 3-Deep (13)- 7.3X @ 43.5”
X-Forged UT (#3- 21)- DG X700
716MB (5-PW)- DG S400
Vokey (TVD SM7 RAW 52 & SM6 RAW 58)- DG S400
Cameron Napa California @ 34"[/b]

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1393837395' post='8785674']
[/quote]

The Gold Nickel is my favorite of the finishes too. From address it doesn't glare nearly as much as the new Tour Chrome finish even in the sunlight and to me is hard to really tell its gold. Now looking at it close up or as it sits in the bag is a different story. I have two tour raw TVD wedges and the reason I chose the Gold Nickel was because from address it looked the most similar to those... I think that finish will do just fine. There have been several other OEM's use a gold looking finish with success over the years... PING used BeCu in irons and wedges that are still sought after 30 years later and Cleveland used BeCu and BeNi with success in their wedge lines. I remember those Cleveland wedges sold for $20 more than their stock chrome finish and used to sell out nearly instantly.
[/quote]

Very true about the color over the years JW. All of my wedges the past 10 years have been black finished. This gold struck me as a very balanced trade between black and chrome. Also, according to Titleist website on these wedges they are double treated/coated with nickel. This will make them very soft feeling, probably the softest wedges I will have ever hit.

Callaway Epic Speed M10 Smoke
Taylor Made SIM 3W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made SIM 5W Titanium Diamana Limited
Taylor Made GAPR HI KBS 4,5,
HONMA TW747P 6-11 Vizard 85g
Cleveland 56* Smoke RTX Zipcore DG Spinner
Lajosi 808 Damascus, Callaway S2H2 Tuttle
Seed 01, Maxfli Tour

Whoever gets the black finish and coke's them, please could you upload some "after" photos?

Thanks in advance.

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White 
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White 
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Bridgestone Tour BX

I am having the hardest time picking a finish! Does anyone know if there would be a difference in feel between the 3 finishes?

-Taylormade BRNR 11.5* set at 9.5* Ventus Red TR 7X playing 44.25”
-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 16* set at 15* Ventus Blue 8X

-Mizuno STz 230 hybrid 19* Ventus Blue 9X

-Mizuno JPX 923 Forged4&5, Tour 6-PW Project X LS 6.5
-Titleist Vokey SM9 50F set to 51*, 56D, & 62M set to 61*

-Mizuno M-Craft OMOI Type 1 Blue Putter

[quote name='Sidetracked' timestamp='1394342146' post='8830257']
[quote name='carrier street' timestamp='1394341959' post='8830247']
Anyone take a shot at removing the raw black finish yet?
[/quote]

Don't think anyone has them yet.
[/quote]

Yea the only guys that have them right now are touring professionals and some local pros... I got Gold Nickel for myself but did get the fitting mix several weeks ago. I did not try to make the Black Ox raw by "Coke-ing it" but it doesn't look like its gonna be nearly as easy to do.

The new fitting mix for Advanced Fitters is excellent.... every head with all the finishes to try, different lie angle heads, custom shafts in several different lofts so you can at least get a feel if you play something other than DG. There is even a graphite option as well as a light steel option which I thought was a great idea especially for your AP1 player interested in Vokey (custom shaft or not) wedges.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1394372391' post='8831109']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Yea the only guys that have them right now are touring professionals and some local pros... I got Gold Nickel for myself but did get the fitting mix several weeks ago. I did not try to make the Black Ox raw by "Coke-ing it" but it doesn't look like its gonna be nearly as easy to do.

The new fitting mix for Advanced Fitters is excellent.... every head with all the finishes to try, different lie angle heads, custom shafts in several different lofts so you can at least get a feel if you play something other than DG. There is even a graphite option as well as a light steel option which I thought was a great idea especially for your AP1 player interested in Vokey (custom shaft or not) wedges.
[/quote]

Surely CLR will take it off pretty easily I'd imagine. Worked very quickly with the black ox TVDs so I can't imagine these being much different.

JW you mentioned you went with gold nickel...how does the face look after some bunker wear?

[quote name='Hookshot33' timestamp='1394372846' post='8831129']
[quote name='J.W.' timestamp='1394372391' post='8831109']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Surely CLR will take it off pretty easily I'd imagine. Worked very quickly with the black ox TVDs so I can't imagine these being much different.

JW you mentioned you went with gold nickel...how does the face look after some bunker wear?
[/quote]

It's 20 degrees here in Ohio... not many bunkers to hit shots from... lol. You're probably right but from the few shots I hit with one of the demo Black Ox wedges it seemed slightly different. The next time I get a chance I will do some messing with the finish.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

[/quote]

[/quote]
JW, with the new K grind option in the SM5, I am curious if you finds any reasons to prefer the TVD K grind over it?

[quote name='Marks23' timestamp='1394384270' post='8832133']
[/quote]

[/quote]
JW, with the new K grind option in the SM5, I am curious if you finds any reasons to prefer the TVD K grind over it?
[/quote]

Slight differences in shape as others in this thread have mentioned... as always you should simply test them for yourself. The biggest thing I noticed are the leading edges when you manipulate the face at address to play different "shots"... those "touchy, feely" shots as Mr. Vokey calls them are so personal with every player and their chipping/pitching style. This is why I chose a low bounce K.

716MB (5-PW)- DG S400

The fitter near me (Westfields) has the full cart of SM5 options now so hopefully I'll be able to try some of these out this weekend. I really like my TVD-M, so it'll be a hard sell to switch, but I'm interested in seeing the S and K grinds in a 60 deg wedge. I do play a variety of shots around the greens with the 60-M, and I think it's great for that, but I find that it digs a little too much on those longer pitch shots from 40-60 yard range. Obviously, part of that is technique, but I'm curious to see if the S or K might work for me.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

For those keen on a raw finish, it looks like the Black Ox might not be too tough to remove - judging by the normal wear alone on Chesson Hadley's gap wedge anyway.

223.jpg

Ping G410 LST 9* Tour AD-IZ 
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* AD-IZ 
Ping G430 hybrid 17* & 22*, Tour 2.0 Chrome 

Titleist T150 5-iron, AMT White 
Miura TC-201 6-9, AMT White 
Vokey SM8 46*, Vokey SM7 50*, Ping S159 54*, Vokey SM8 58* LBK
L.A.B Mezz 1, Accra

Bridgestone Tour BX

Per Team Titleist

4TR4XMFCSXVZ.pngbadge_ts.png

David Npost: 4 Feb 2014 6:02 AM

Greetings to all Team Titleist and Vokey Nation members,

We certainly appreciate all of your input on various finish offerings in the Vokey lineup. The main reason we are offering Raw Black in SM5 is the popularity of the two black finishes in WedgeWorks (Black Ox and Graphite Ion). Oil Can has been declining in popularity for several years, so we felt it was time for a change in SM5.

It is true that many Tour players use raw wedges. There are also quite a few that use our Tour Chrome finish. The main reason that the players use raw wedges is that Bob Vokey and Tour Rep Aaron Dill will make small tweaks to many players' wedges and it's much easier to do so with a raw wedge than grinding through the chrome. In addition, Tour players change wedges more frequently than most amateur golfers.

The SM5 Raw Black finish is an unplated QPQ finish and will rust over time especially in the hitting area and on the grind. For those looking for a completely raw finish, check our our Hand Ground program through WedgeWorks at Vokey.com

Regarding WedgeWorks, we have some very cool new offerings coming later this Spring. Stay tuned to Team Titleist and Vokey.com for more details!

Regards from the entire Vokey Team,

Dave N.

Manager - Vokey Wedge Marketing

FedEx delivered my gold nickels today! Can't wait.

[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Current bag:
Titleist TS3 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 65 [/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Titleist TS2 GD Tour AD-MT 7[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Titleist 818H1 19, 818H1 23 GD Tour AD-DI 85[/font][/size]
[size=3][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Epon AF-705 5-AW MRC OT-I 95
Vokey Wedgeworks SM7 Raw 54M, 58D[/font][/size]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Scotty Cameron 009[/size][/font]
[font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]Taylormade TP5x[/size][/font]

[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1394574320' post='8850293']
[/quote]
excellent, dDans quoted me a 3/10 ship date. im hoping they show up by friday. i ordered the 52F and the 58K black with the modus 120.

915 D3 8.5 Rogue Silver60
915 FD 15 Rogue Black80
915 H 18 Rogue Black85
Titleist 712u 19* DG Pro
Titleist 714 AP2 4-pw DG Pro
Vokey Sm5 58K,52S DG

[quote name='mwmilk123' timestamp='1394585267' post='8851611']
[quote name='Arpeggi' timestamp='1394574320' post='8850293']
[/quote]
excellent, dDans quoted me a 3/10 ship date. im hoping they show up by friday. i ordered the 52F and the 58K black with the modus 120.
[/quote]

Discount Dans quoted my ship date as 3/11, ordered the same setup as mwmilk, except with ctapers. Weekend looks decent hopefully they'll be here before then.

G410 LST 9* w/ Small Batch HZRDUS Green 70 6.5
G425 Max 14.5* w/ Tensei Pro Blue 80TX
818 19* w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX
TM UDI 18* w/ Tensei Pro White 100TX
0311T w/ Nippon Modus 5-PW 3 120X
SM8 50F, 54S and Wedgeworks 58V w/ Nippon Modus 125X
Tour Issue Spider Tour Black
2019 ProV1

For those keen on a raw finish, it looks like the Black Ox might not be too tough to remove - judging by the normal wear alone on Chesson Hadley's gap wedge anyway.

223.jpg

I just picked up my 52.08F grind and 58.11 K grind Raw Black and by now I knew you could not remove the finish. You can however take the black off, or change it chemically, to look and act like a raw wedge. The Raw black will obviously feel the best being un-plated and now I believe this will be the best of both worlds as spin killing rust won't be as frequent. IMHO the Raw black looked awful and now these look like my SM4 Oil cans with the finish removed. Heres what I did.

I let the wedges sit with Navel Jelly on for about a 1/2 hour and then scrubbed with a tooth brush.

Then I put CLR on a scotch brite pad and and softly went over the wedges to remove any chalkiness.

The last step was Blue Magic metal polish to remove any streaking.

TSr3 8° VENTUS RED TR 7X

TSr3 3W 15° VENTUS RED TR 8X

2023 T200 2/17°

2023 T200 4-PW, GW

SM10 52, 58 M-Grind

PIRETTI POTENZA WB

TitleistSmaller.jpg.5bc014a5893add877cc9ffa452af52bd.jpg