SNELL GOLF BALLS??? anyone???

Comments

• larciellarciel I play for eagle Members Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Received another 5dz set today.
    Feels like I just put in gas to my empty gas tank.
    Satisfied. Mmmmm

• Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@larciel said:
    Satisfied. Mmmmm

Thanks for the order and continued support... appreciate all the feedback from this thread.

• cpeckcpeck North new jerseyMembers Posts: 594 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Snell Golf said:

@larciel said:
    Satisfied. Mmmmm

Thanks for the order and continued support... appreciate all the feedback from this thread.

hope your summer is going well dean. my wife has started playing your get sum yellow, she loves the yellow color you offer and gets plenty of compliments when she shows off your balls to playing partners.

didn’t really think that last sentence through.

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,921 ClubWRX
    edited Aug 13, 2019 12:39am #4655

@Hot Rod 71 said:
    Played the MTB-X today for 9 holes. This ball really feels nice off every club in the bag. The downside for me is I was getting a lot of additional spin off the driver, fairway wood and hybrid. I normally play a 5-10 yard draw with my woods, but with the MTB-X I was getting 20-30 yard draws. With my driver, the ball would start of on my normal line and have the same movement I'm use to seeing for the first 200 yards or so, then it would just turn right (I'm a lefty).

I liked the additional spin around the greens (it was superb) and it putted beautifully. i just can't live with the driver spin. For a person who likes to work the ball off the tee, this is the one.

I wanted to provide an update to my original post about the MTB-X. I've played it for a few rounds since and the excessive movement I experienced with the driver on my first 9 holes was gone. All I can say is I must've been putting bad swings on it the first time out.

I played 9 yesterday and played the MTB-X and Pro-V1 side by side, playing each ball out from tee to green. Performance was similar for me. On a couple of tee shots the MTB-X was 10 yards ahead of the Pro-V1, and a couple of tee shots the Pro-V1 was 10 yards ahead of the MTB-X. I'm no robot so I chalked it up to possible differences in strike and bounces in the fairway. On approach shots the MTB-X held its own, as well as around the greens. Once my stock of personalized Pro-V1s run out, I'll likely switch to the MTB-X.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • Go_Blue!Go_Blue! HAIL! Members Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:
    Played the MTB-X today for 9 holes. This ball really feels nice off every club in the bag. The downside for me is I was getting a lot of additional spin off the driver, fairway wood and hybrid. I normally play a 5-10 yard draw with my woods, but with the MTB-X I was getting 20-30 yard draws. With my driver, the ball would start of on my normal line and have the same movement I'm use to seeing for the first 200 yards or so, then it would just turn right (I'm a lefty).

I liked the additional spin around the greens (it was superb) and it putted beautifully. i just can't live with the driver spin. For a person who likes to work the ball off the tee, this is the one.

I wanted to provide an update to my original post about the MTB-X. I've played it for a few rounds since and the excessive movement I experienced with the driver on my first 9 holes was gone. All I can say is I must've been putting bad swings on it the first time out.

I played 9 yesterday and played the MTB-X and Pro-V1 side by side, playing each ball out from tee to green. Performance was similar for me. On a couple of tee shots the MTB-X was 10 yards ahead of the Pro-V1, and a couple of tee shots the Pro-V1 was 10 yards ahead of the MTB-X. I'm no robot so I chalked it up to possible differences in strike and bounces in the fairway. On approach shots the MTB-X held its own, as well as around the greens. Once my stock of personalized Pro-V1s run out, I'll likely switch to the MTB-X.

Ya even with many comparing the MTB-X to a V1X due to firmness, I feel like it compares better to a normal Pro V in actual on course characteristics. Low driver spin, great spin from 150 in. It's just firmer than a pro V. Really, reall good ball.

8.5* Ping G400 LST w/ Tensei Blue 60TX
    15* TM M1 w/ Rogue Silver X
    19* Bridgestone J36
    4-PW Srixon Z745 w/ TTDG X100
    52.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.10 S Titleist SM6
    Taylormade Spider Tour Black
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • GolfTurkeyGolfTurkey Members Posts: 592 ✭✭✭✭✭

I think the MTB-X plays like a ProV1x with one very significant difference - it's extremely good in the wind. The ProV1x was a disaster with any shot into the wind for me, it's the first and only ball that I have ever ballooned.

• Hot Rod 71Hot Rod 71 #TheWRX ClubWRX, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 8,921 ClubWRX

@Go_Blue! said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

Ya even with many comparing the MTB-X to a V1X due to firmness, I feel like it compares better to a normal Pro V in actual on course characteristics. Low driver spin, great spin from 150 in. It's just firmer than a pro V. Really, reall good ball.

I would have to agree. Perhaps some players have forgotten that Titleist altered Pro-V1 and Pro-V1X playing characteristics a few years back - they sort of switched them.

While I agree the MTB-X is firmer than the Pro-V1, I would say IMO its only slightly firmer.

PING G400 LST 10* - Graphite Design Tour AD TP 6X
    TaylorMade M1 15* Tour Issue - Aldila Tour Blue 75X
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20* - Diamana S+ 80X
    Callaway X-Forged 4-P - DGTI 120 S400
    Callaway MD4 50, 54, 58 - DGTI S400
    Machine M1A
    Titleist Pro V1 Yellow
  • herbert7890herbert7890 San Antonio, TexasMembers Posts: 45 ✭✭

My first dozen of MTB-X is coming tomorrow : )

• flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 13, 2019 5:14pm #4660

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

@Hot Rod 71 said:

I would have to agree. Perhaps some players have forgotten that Titleist altered Pro-V1 and Pro-V1X playing characteristics a few years back - they sort of switched them.

While I agree the MTB-X is firmer than the Pro-V1, I would say IMO its only slightly firmer.

Though I prefer Black, I like the"SMACK" of X when I pure it off driver. And you know you will deliver it looong.

WWG1 WGA
  • St JimmySt Jimmy Members Posts: 450 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I think I'm a Snell guy now.
    Just received my second 5 dozen order of MTB-X's.
    Still had three dozen left over from the first, but wanted more... just in case.

Ping G400
    Ping G SFT 5W
    Miura CB-57 3-PW
    Miura Y Grind 51
    Miura K Grind 56
    Scotty Golo 3
  • NC_IndyNC_Indy Noblesville, INMembers Posts: 16 ✭✭

@Snell Golf said:

@larciel said:
    Satisfied. Mmmmm

I've placed a couple of orders now. This last time I needed balls I decided I enjoyed the MTB-X the most out of anything else available to me in the market but I purchased them through golfballs.com because I just like the Align XL that much compared to making a marker line that smudges on my first iron shot. With the DTC model you're using, have you considered customization options as another way to differentiate yourselves from competitors?

• jadams13jadams13 Poulsbo, WAMembers Posts: 44 ✭✭

Still gaming the Xs

@jadams13 said:
    Still gaming the Xs

It's such a complete ball. Very little reason to switch.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • drvrwdgedrvrwdge Members Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Every time I feel like I have settled on the Blacks and am going to pull the trigger I read all this good stuff about the X..

Ping G410 LST Fujikura EVO IV 661x 
    Ping G400 14.5 Fujikura EVO IV 757x 
    Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    Ping iBlade DG TI X-100 Black Onyx
    Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 52/56/60 DG TI S400
    Ping Sigma 2 Tyne Steath, Stealth shaft. PP58 Black Cord
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19

@drvrwdge said:
    Every time I feel like I have settled on the Blacks and am going to pull the trigger I read all this good stuff about the X..

Black is a fine ball, it just releases way too much for me around the green and wedges release a little more than I would like. Love the soft feel, but the performance of the X is exactly what I look for in a ball...low driver spin, drop and stop with irons and wedges, and great control around greens.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

Black is a fine ball, it just releases way too much for me around the green and wedges release a little more than I would like. Love the soft feel, but the performance of the X is exactly what I look for in a ball...low driver spin, drop and stop with irons and wedges, and great control around greens.

So would you compare the X to the V1x? i play the V1 currently because I actually do like a little less wedge spin. I spin the ball a lot and its always pretty soft in the mid-atlantic.

Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19
    edited Aug 15, 2019 6:49pm #4669

@drvrwdge said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

So would you compare the X to the V1x? i play the V1 currently because I actually do like a little less wedge spin. I spin the ball a lot and its always pretty soft in the mid-atlantic.

On feel, yes. On performance, I feel like it plays closer to a pro V. There is a video out that compares the X to the Pro V and wedge spin is very similar....which is what I love about the X. The spin isnt over the top...just enough.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • etakmitetakmit Western NYClubWRX Posts: 664 ✭✭✭✭✭

Been playing Snell for years. MTB Black most recently - my most recent order I swapped to the MTB-X though. Finishing up my MTB-B first and then I'll go through the next five dozen (hopefully not anytime soon though!!)

Love them and the recent changes made!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5*
    Titleist 917 F2 15*
    Titleist AP1 4-5
    Titleist AP2 6-P
    Vokey SM6 52/58
    Toulon Design Rochester
  • flushemflushem Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@drvrwdge said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

I spin the heck out of the ball too. Thus I stick to Black though I like X.

WWG1 WGA
  • MyherobobhopeMyherobobhope hey there, blimpy boy. Flying through the sky so fancy free. Members Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@drvrwdge said:

I feel the same way! I’ll probably order a dozen x next time and give them another go.

The blacks are great, would just like a touch more spin around the greens.

Current Bag (Rebuilding as of 5/6/19)
    Driver: Adams Fast 12 LS with Matrix Black Tie (to be replaced)
    3W: Adams Fast 12 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    Hybrid: Bridgestone j40 with Excalibur (to be replaced)
    4-9: Taylor Made Oversize (to be replaced)
    PW: Mizuon HMP with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    50 degree Vokey with DG120 Stiff (5/6)
    56 and 60 degree Cleveland Wedges (to be replaced)
    Odyssey Tank #7 (only club I'm keeping this season)

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

On feel, yes. On performance, I feel like it plays closer to a pro V. There is a video out that compares the X to the Pro V and wedge spin is very similar....which is what I love about the X. The spin isnt over the top...just enough.

But the Black should spin less with wedges no?

Ping i500 3i Ad 95x
    '19 Pro V1
    Ping LE Camo Hooer '19

@drvrwdge said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

@Go_Blue! said:

@drvrwdge said:

But the Black should spin less with wedges no?

They do spin less than the pro V, which is why I feel like the X is a better comparison. They have are more similar than the black and pro V, imo.

19* Bridgestone J36
    Srixon Z Star XV
  • ebrasmus21ebrasmus21 Serial Shanker CAMembers Posts: 5,712 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Been a while since my last post in this thread. I’m still quite faithful to the Black. People just don’t realize how good these are.

Maybe 10 or 20 pages ago I posted pictures of my Black I used for 10+ rounds. It amazing how well they play even after several rounds on one ball.

G400 LST - TPT proto
    TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
    21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
    4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
    50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
    Evnroll ER5
    Snell MTB Black
  • COmedicCOmedic Members Posts: 43 ✭✭

I seem to play the black better than the X. I do notice the decrease of green side spin a bit with the black, but it’s a small sacrifice compared to my driver mishits with the MTB-X. I feel like they hyper slice when I’m having a bad day with the driver. Both seem to fly long when struck properly.

• Snell GolfSnell Golf Sponsors Posts: 551 ✭✭✭✭✭

@ebrasmus21 said:
    Been a while since my last post in this thread. I’m still quite faithful to the Black. People just don’t realize how good these are.

Maybe 10 or 20 pages ago I posted pictures of my Black I used for 10+ rounds. It amazing how well they play even after several rounds on one ball.

The cast urethane cover, which replaced the Balata cover has certainly improved the durability of the golf balls. I always warn people who use simulators or hitting cages to rotate the golf balls and try to hit in random locations on the ball to prolong the life of the ball getting hit over and over.

• North ButteNorth Butte Members Posts: 10,963 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Snell Golf said:

@ebrasmus21 said:

The cast urethane cover, which replaced the Balata cover has certainly improved the durability of the golf balls. I always warn people who use simulators or hitting cages to rotate the golf balls and try to hit in random locations on the ball to prolong the life of the ball getting hit over and over.

I often comment to the effect that if you could show any modern "Tour" ball to a golfer playing in 1995 they'd be amazed not only at the performance but the durability would seem almost supernatural. That's just 25 years ago but an MTB Black is more different from the best balls in the world in 1995 than that 1995 ball was from a ball Ben Hogan would have played in the 1940's. I came to the game in the 1990's and choosing a ball that performed well was reserved for rich guys (at least rich relative to me). Now you can buy a $2.50 Snell ball and play it for 72 holes if you like, it won't go lumpy or get cut.

“1lb beefstak, with
    1pt bitter beer
    every 6 hours.
    1 ten-mile walk every morning.
    1 bed at 11 sharp every night.
    And don't stuff your head with things you don't understand.” 
  • milesnotsmilesmilesnotsmiles Members Posts: 77 ✭✭✭

@North Butte said:

@Snell Golf said:

@ebrasmus21 said:

I often comment to the effect that if you could show any modern "Tour" ball to a golfer playing in 1995 they'd be amazed not only at the performance but the durability would seem almost supernatural. That's just 25 years ago but an MTB Black is more different from the best balls in the world in 1995 than that 1995 ball was from a ball Ben Hogan would have played in the 1940's. I came to the game in the 1990's and choosing a ball that performed well was reserved for rich guys (at least rich relative to me). Now you can buy a $2.50 Snell ball and play it for 72 holes if you like, it won't go lumpy or get cut.

yea it's great to be able to get some milage out of a single ball. Back in the 90's outside of green fees balls were my biggest expense...

• dcarwindcarwin Members Posts: 11 ✭✭

For those that play the X (in both yellow and white)... do you notice that the cover on the yellow version is less durable than the white? My yellows scuff pretty easily and am wondering if the white is any more durable, as I've seen stated somewhere.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file