KBS S-Taper shafts

ddettsddetts Roy McAvoySioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,590 ClubWRX
Does anybody have any experience or information on these? There's seems to have been little information or fanfare surrounding them. They're currently shown on The Golf Works under KBS shafts but I don't see any information for them on KBS's website.

https://www.golfworks.com/kbs-s-taper-chrome-355-iron-shafts/p/FS0050/

They're not cheap at $55 a shaft

From The Golf Works site:

KBS S-Taper Chrome .355" Iron Shafts

Features:
  • Engineered to provide superior feel while maintaining shot workability for players seeking a mid-launch and low to mid spin shaft.
  • Shares the same bend profile as the KBS Tour shafts only with elongated step patterns to control spin, generating stable performance throughout the swing.
  • Chrome finish featuring a 360 degree cured decal for lasting durability.

> See my current WITB
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Project X Even Flow Blue 6.5 65 gram
TaylorMade '17 M2 Tour 15°, Kuro Kage Silver Dual-Core TiNi
TaylorMade P790 UDI 17°, Project X HZRDUS85 6.0
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 3 Fli-Hi | 4-PW, Project X LZ 6.5
Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
TaylorMade TP Mullen

Twitter-icon.png lDLcKyO.png?1

Comments

• jay65jay65 Members Posts: 4,678
    Sounds like a lower spinning version of KBS Tour to me, but I thought they already had the Tour V for that.
  • Lord HelmetLord Helmet Members Posts: 8,724 ✭✭
    $55 a shaft? Wow.
    M5 - UST V2 6f4
    Cobra F9 3w - Atmos TS Blue 7x
    Speedback F9 4i - DG 105 x100
    Srixon 565/765 Combo 5-PW - Project X 5.5hs
    SM5 50,54,58,62 - F,K,S Grinds - Rifle 6.0
    Bettinardi Inovai 3.0 CS
    Pro V1x
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭
    It's new for 2017 and also the most expensive KBS steel shaft. Haven't seen any reviews, but In terms of launch height and spin rate, the new S-Taper falls right in-between the Tour V and Kim Braly's signature KBS Tour shaft. The weight is the same as the Tour, (120 grams in Stiff Flex).

image/golfer.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':golfer:' />
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • Howardz3Howardz3 Atlanta, GAMembers Posts: 310 ✭✭
    jay65 wrote:
    Sounds like a lower spinning version of KBS Tour to me, but I thought they already had the Tour V for that.

The Tour V was also to promote higher ball flight as well. So I'm assuming that this is just a lower spinning version of the KBS Tour shaft.
    Callaway Rouge 10.5 w/ Tour Ad IZ 6S
    Rouge 15* w/ DIamana white 70S
    Ping G 5 wood w/ Diamana white 80S
    716 CB 4, 716 MB 5-PW w/ Tour Issue AMT S400
    Vokey Sm6 Raw 50* w/ Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM6 Raw 54* w/ Tour Issue S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 58* V grind w/ Tour Issue S400 AMT
    Toulon Atlanta
  • bobcatbobcat Members Posts: 3,926 ✭✭
    edited Feb 23, 2017 #6
    Howardz3 wrote:

jay65 wrote:

The Tour V was also to promote higher ball flight as well. So I'm assuming that this is just a lower spinning version of the KBS Tour shaft.

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest 2017 catalog, (page 114), the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    What's in Bobcat's Bag? (Showing more than 14 clubs due to options)

Driver: TM 2015 9.5* SLDR-C - 45.5" Miyazaki Kusala Black 61s (tipped 1/2")
    Fairway: TM Tour-iussue V-Steel 15* 3W - 43.25" Fujikura 757 Speeder Stiff
    Hybrid Fairway: TM Rescue Fairway 15* '3-Strong'- 42.75" Fujikura VP-90 Stiff
    Hybrids: TM Rescue-Mid TP's 19*(3H) & 22*(4H) - Fujikura Vista Pro 90 Stiff
    Driving Irons: TM TP UDI's 16* (#1) & 20* (#3) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Shafts
    Irons: TM 2015 SLDR Irons (5-8i only) - KBS C-Taper Lite 110 Stiff Flex Steel
    Hybrid Wedges: Cleveland 2011 Niblicks - 42*PW /49*DW / 56*SW - Stock Steel
    Wedge: 2011 Cleveland CG-16 Black Pearl 58*/8* (SW/LW) - Stock Steel Shaft
    Putter: Bettinardi BBX-81 Blade - 35" Bettinardi Stock Steel Putter Shaft
  • Howardz3Howardz3 Atlanta, GAMembers Posts: 310 ✭✭
    bobcat wrote:
    Howardz3 wrote:

jay65 wrote:

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest Clubmaker's catalog, the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.

Yes sir you are correct, wrong info from a club builder! Thanks for the catch.

Callaway Rouge 10.5 w/ Tour Ad IZ 6S
    Rouge 15* w/ DIamana white 70S
    Ping G 5 wood w/ Diamana white 80S
    716 CB 4, 716 MB 5-PW w/ Tour Issue AMT S400
    Vokey Sm6 Raw 50* w/ Tour Issue S400
    Vokey SM6 Raw 54* w/ Tour Issue S400
    Vokey WedgeWorks 58* V grind w/ Tour Issue S400 AMT
    Toulon Atlanta
  • George1174George1174 Members Posts: 202
    edited Feb 23, 2017 #8
    From an email I received on Monday:

Make your game feel "$Money$" immediately. The KBS Tour $ - Taper has finally arrived will officially available online and in finer golf retailers worldwide on Monday March 6th. This will be the newest steel shaft in the KBS Golf Shafts line after continually delivering the best steel shafts on the market for ten years. Head of research and development and the brain behind the best steel shafts in golf, longtime KBS designer Kim Braly wanted the KBS Tour $ - Taper to provide superior feel while maintaining shot work-ability for players seeking a mid-launch and low spin shaft. The KBS Tour $ - Taper shares the same bend profile as the KBS TOUR with elongated step patterns for spin, generating a stable performance throughout the swing. KBS is proud to offer the KBS Tour $ - Taper in 2 finishes: Black PVD and Classic KBS Chrome, KBS Tour $-Taper will come in the following Flex and Weights, R 110g, R+ 115g, S 120g, S+ 125g and X 130g. And Innovated for the KBS Tour $-Taper is our first ever 360° cured decal for a one of a kind look on your equipment. This shaft has already been adopted on Tour by some of the games biggest names and will continue to grow as the performance and word spreads throughout Golf. Finally you have,

Tour Feel and Money Performance. | Player Driven. Tour Proven. |

Kim Braly - "The KBS Tour changed the performance and feel of steel golf shafts on Tour when it was unveiled almost ten years ago, The KBS Tour $ - Taper will do the same for a new generation of golfers looking for the best golf shafts on the market. The KBS Tour $ - Taper is for the player looking for a straighter and stronger ball flight, with lower spin resulting in a Tour caliber performance and feel."
    Callaway Big Bertha Alpha 10* - Project X LZ 6.0 44.5"
    Callaway XR16 4W 17° - Fujikura Speeder Evolution 565 S
    Callaway X2Hot 4H 22* - Aldila Tour blue
    Cleveland Mashie 3H 20.5° - Miyazaki C.Kua 59
    Mizuno MP-59 4-PW - KBS Tour R hs
    Titleist SM 7 50/08 - 54/10 - 58/08 - DG S200
    Scotty Cameron Select Fastback 29.5" Winn Jumbo Pistol, 40gr down the shaft, 40gr counterweight
  • jay65jay65 Members Posts: 4,678
    I thought the gap between the standard KBS Tour and the Tour V was pretty 'tight' as it was, so surprised that it appears they're trying to fit a shaft in between to be honest.
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,708 ✭✭
    Sounds great, and love the mid-flex options. Don't love the price.
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,590 ClubWRX
    bobcat wrote:

Howardz3 wrote:

jay65 wrote:

According to the KBS fitting chart shown in Golfworks latest Clubmaker's catalog, the Tour V launches lower and spins less than the KBS Tour. The new S-Taper falls right in-between those two. The original C-Taper is still the lowest launching and lowest spinning KBS shaft by a good margin.

I was trying to find an image of that chart to upload, but was unsuccessful.

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• roxaldroxald ClubWRX Posts: 472 ClubWRX
    Hmm....

Wonder what the comparison would be between the S-Taper vs C-Taper and Tour models?

Rox
    Cobra F9 Avalanche 9° with GD AD-iZ 7X<br />GBB 3-wood with Regio 70x<br />Rogue 5-wood with Aldila Green 70S<br />Srixon U65 23° with Nippon 120X<br />Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5 & 6 and VL 7-PW $-Taper 125’s<br />Callaway Forged Black 54° and 58° PM Grind/ Nippon 115X Wedge<br />Bettinardi Stock 8<br />TP5
  • ddettsddetts Roy McAvoy Sioux Falls, SDClubWRX Posts: 1,590 ClubWRX
    I still find it interesting that there's no evidence of the shaft on KBS's website yet. Perhaps they're too overwhelmingly busy to update the website?

> See my current WITB
    Mizuno T7 52-09 | 58-12
    TaylorMade TP Mullen

• KarstenKKarstenK Hey Chopper, what you hitting there? Members Posts: 1,274 ✭✭
    Very curious to demo, not curious at that price
    Ping G400 LST 8.5 Tour 75
    Callaway BBA 816 16* Diamana D+ 70
    Ping G410 hybrid 19*
    Ping i210 4-U PX LZ 6.0
    Titleist SM7 S 54*/M 58* Slate Blue
    Byron DH89
  • kush614kush614 Members Posts: 962 ✭✭
    Looks like a black version as well. KBS posted this on their Instagram account yesterday.
  • nova6868nova6868 Members Posts: 4,708 ✭✭
    Well hey, they look cool. And the $ part makes sense at $55 per shaft.
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    George1174 wrote:

From an email I received on Monday:

Make your game feel "$Money$" immediately. The KBS Tour $ - Taper has finally arrived and will be officially available online and in finer golf retailers worldwide on Monday March 6th. This will be the newest steel shaft in the KBS Golf Shafts line after continually delivering the best steel shafts on the market for ten years. Head of research and development and the brain behind the best steel shafts in golf, longtime KBS designer Kim Braly wanted the KBS Tour $ - Taper to provide superior feel while maintaining shot work-ability for players seeking a mid-launch and low spin shaft. The KBS Tour $ - Taper shares the same bend profile as the KBS TOUR with elongated step patterns for spin, generating a stable performance throughout the swing. KBS is proud to offer the KBS Tour $ - Taper in 2 finishes: Black PVD and Classic KBS Chrome, KBS Tour $-Taper will come in the following Flex and Weights, R 110g, R+ 115g, S 120g, S+ 125g and X 130g. And Innovated for the KBS Tour $-Taper is our first ever 360° cured decal for a one of a kind look on your equipment. This shaft has already been adopted on Tour by some of the games biggest names and will continue to grow as the performance and word spreads throughout Golf. Finally you have,

Tour Feel and Money Performance. | Player Driven. Tour Proven. |

Kim Braly - "The KBS Tour changed the performance and feel of steel golf shafts on Tour when it was unveiled almost ten years ago, The KBS Tour $ - Taper will do the same for a new generation of golfers looking for the best golf shafts on the market. The KBS Tour $ - Taper is for the player looking for a straighter and stronger ball flight, with lower spin resulting in a Tour caliber performance and feel."

If this is a direct copy/paste from an email KBS put out, they should spend some "$" on a proofreader before investing any more "$" in developing new shafts that are in between the Tour V and C-Taper.

I'm not one to be the "grammar police", but there haven't been any posts lately mentioning anuses, or people being wronged by buying something they didn't expect/offered a full refund/refusing said refund in the DOND section so I'm bored!
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members Posts: 7,046 ✭✭
    Supposedly 3/6/17 Monday these are available. ....so more stable, heavier tour V I'm guessing
  • halliedoghalliedog Members Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    SwooshLT wrote:

Supposedly 3/6/17 Monday these are available. ....so more stable, heavier tour V I'm guessing

Better be game-changing for $55/per. I'm talking Rocketballzier better than Tour Vs for that price. Of course a lot of guys from GRX will by them, because it's the latest/greatest thing since sliced bread, but will the average Joe be able to tell the difference?

I'm not a hater. Have Tour V(X) ss x 1 in my irons currently, and have Tour S in my backup set, and have C-Taper S in my backups to my backups (this is GRX isn't it?) These would just have to be phenomenal at this price for me to even consider switching.
    WITB:
    Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
    Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
    TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
    TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
    TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
    Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank
  • SirHoselRocketSirHoselRocket Members Posts: 275
    Same weights as KBS Tour, C-Taper, FLT. Similar feeling to KBS Tour. But lower spinning. Maintains a similar launch to tour. but spin rates lower than Tour V. Tour V in my opinion felt firm. Not as firm as C-Taper. This maintains the feel of Tour just with better spin rates. I have had a set for testing for awhile. Heard rumblings Pat Perez dropped 1,000 Rpm's when he switched to them. Apparently he is a hi spin player.......price seems hi...but if it works....
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,544 ✭✭

Same weights as KBS Tour, C-Taper, FLT. Similar feeling to KBS Tour. But lower spinning. Maintains a similar launch to tour. but spin rates lower than Tour V. Tour V in my opinion felt firm. Not as firm as C-Taper. This maintains the feel of Tour just with better spin rates. I have had a set for testing for awhile. Heard rumblings Pat Perez dropped 1,000 Rpm's when he switched to them. Apparently he is a hi spin player.......price seems hi...but if it works....

So are they game changers for you? Will you keep them in play? How do they compare to PX, PX LZ, and Modus?
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • DjergerDjerger Members Posts: 56
    jay65 wrote:

I thought the gap between the standard KBS Tour and the Tour V was pretty 'tight' as it was, so surprised that it appears they're trying to fit a shaft in between to be honest.

it seems the tour vs play softer. example my profile on the fit system i fit to stiff in c taper and tour but it says x in the tour v. so my guess i s when you compare s tour to stiff v you are actually playing like a soft stepped v.....its silly but maybe they have figured that out and are accounting for it in the fitting.
  • mtex22mtex22 ClubWRX Posts: 2,178 ClubWRX
    Anyone gaming these? Im gonna throw them in my 545/745 next week

HONMA TW747 460 10.5 - Vizard FD 60
    HONMA TW747 15 - Vizard 70
    HONMA TW747 19 - Vizard 80
    HONMA TW-U 4 - Nippon 950 HT
    HONMA TW747V 5-PW - Modus 105
    TAYLORMADE Milled Grind Black 50/54/58 - Modus 115 Wedge Black
    ODYSSEY Trihot #1
  • Redjeep83Redjeep83 Members Posts: 5,187 ✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2017 #24
    mtex22 wrote:

I've been playing them for a few weeks. To me it's like they took a kbs tour shaft and changed up the step pattern, almost looks step-less. The feel of them is one of the best feeling shafts I've played, ballflight is similar to kbs tour but more flat. They get up there and stay up there. I think he made it in response to project x Lz. However I think the s taper is better, lz played too soft and spiny for me. Only thing I'm getting use to is the 360 shaft label, don't like seeing it during the swing and can't remove it but it does kinda look cool
  • JagpilotohioJagpilotohio 45+ inch drivers are evil. Columbus, OHMembers Posts: 7,243 ✭✭
    edited Jun 25, 2017 #25
    mtex22 wrote:

I think they'd suit me great but at $55 a shaft I think they're nuts. $55 for steel??

I like the flight and spin of the tour V 120x I'm playing but the feel isn't so hot and the tips bend every 6-7 months.

Sure, they send me new ones when they bend, but they SHOULDNT BEND IN THE FIRST PLACE. They admit it's a problem yet they never have reinforced the tips. Makes me wonder if they finally addressed the issue with these.
    9.5* Cobra LTD, Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
    14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
    16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
    19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
    4-7 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X.  
    Ping i210 8 & 9 Proto 125 F5 hardstepped 1x.
    Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, Vokey SM6 60M (61). Wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
    33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
    Srixon Z-star XV
    Jones Trouper Bag
  • milanmaniamilanmania Members Posts: 25
    Wow - are shaft companies really still using terms like lower spin for shafts. Unbelievable
  • dunndunn Members Posts: 6,362 ✭✭
    Cant imagine a big enough difference from what they have already.....and cost being significant
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Decided to give these a shot as I've been a Tour fan for several years, but would love a touch less spin. Should have them in play by next weekend and will update with some data compared to Tour.
  • baudibaudi Members Posts: 645 ✭✭
    Testing the $-taper now for a few weeks in a #6 iron.

Very good shaft. Feel is similar to KBS tour but the apex is lower. Launches with less spin.

I do not see any relation with the tour V. The profile of the Tour V is much firmer.
  • UncleJohn’sBandUncleJohn’sBand Members Posts: 983 ✭✭
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.

I'm a huge fan or them to say the least
    Titleist 915 D3 Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
    Titleist 910 F Rombax W
    Titleist 913hd Matrix Altus
    Titleist 714 CB/MB 4-Pw PjX 6.5
    Tour issue 52, 56 60 Vokey 200 SM4
    Odyssey Versa no. 7
  • Dirtydawg67Dirtydawg67 Members Posts: 77 ✭✭
    Team Ping wrote:
    Been playing them since the week after the PGA show and they are the best shafts I've ever played. By far the perfect fit for my game. Plenty of spin to stop, and zero ballooning, and you can move it and way you like.

I'm a huge fan or them to say the least

What shafts were you playing prior?