Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

Best Rain gear

Comments

• MinaretsMinarets Members Posts: 4,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just got the Kjus pro 3L jacket and it fits great. Was worried about the sizing. Nice stretch and doesn’t feel plastic-ee like some rain gear.

Driver: TaylorMade M3
    Irons: PXG 0311 4-GW
    Hybrids: PXG 0317X 17*, 19*
    Wedges: Callaway PM Grind 54*, 58*
    Putter: Ping Ketcsh  
    Bag: Titleist Players 4 (Green)
    Ball: Titleist Pro V1 or Snell MTB-x
  • tropicstropics Members Posts: 74 ✭✭

@willywads said:
    I ended up ordering the proquip PX6 suit..Just arrived today and I am feeling a little underwhelmed. It seems to be ultra light and thin. I would love a little reassurance from those of you that use proquip...On the upside it is light and packable but it just doesnt seem to be as heavy duty as my FJ jacket. Also can anyone chime in to add whether or not this provides any additional warmth or is it just intended to keep whats under it dry?

i wore my px6 pants for sunday of open championship. if you saw how hard that rain was hitting on the back 9... i was dry as a bone.
    as someone mentioned, the purpose is dryness rather than warmth. when i'm playing golf i almost always struggle with being too warm rather than too cold, and layers are a better solutions for cold anyway, rather than heavy outer wear.

• jwortsmanjwortsman Members Posts: 235 ✭✭✭

@tropics said:

@willywads said:
    I ended up ordering the proquip PX6 suit..Just arrived today and I am feeling a little underwhelmed. It seems to be ultra light and thin. I would love a little reassurance from those of you that use proquip...On the upside it is light and packable but it just doesnt seem to be as heavy duty as my FJ jacket. Also can anyone chime in to add whether or not this provides any additional warmth or is it just intended to keep whats under it dry?

i wore my px6 pants for sunday of open championship. if you saw how hard that rain was hitting on the back 9... i was dry as a bone.
    as someone mentioned, the purpose is dryness rather than warmth. when i'm playing golf i almost always struggle with being too warm rather than too cold, and layers are a better solutions for cold anyway, rather than heavy outer wear.

Agree with your statement that the key is to stay dry. I bought the PX5s late spring/early summer from the Golfsupport deal, but found that the branding on them was very in your face and overwhelming (moreso the jacket). If they'd tone down some of that, it would be great.

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,182 mod

@Minarets said:
    If you put that in your cart and try and ship it says sorry cannot ship ProQuip to US

I noticed this as well.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • willywadswillywads Members Posts: 345 ✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the replies, all the comments have put me at ease...

Ping G30 10.5* Aldila Rogue 70x
    Ping G30 14.5* Prolaunch Red FWx
    Ping I20 20* Aldila RIP alpha 85s
    Ping I200 4-P Project X 6.0
    Ping Glide 2.0 50*, 54*, 60* Project X 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Sqaureback #2

Shew! My Kjus pro 3L pants for great. Probably 2” too long In length to be perfect but other than that they fit wonderfully. Definitely not a baggy rain paint like I’m used too. I’m a bigger dude. 6’00” 250lbs I thought all rain gear had to look like big trash bags. I preferred black pants but had to settle on the Atlanta navy with the gray jacket but i love the fit and feel of the gear for sure.

• Ace UnderhillAce Underhill Members Posts: 662 ✭✭✭✭✭

This spring I bought the Arnold Palmer full zip rain jacket and matching rain pants from TGW and paid around $70 total after shipping/tax. Really surprised at the quality although it doesn't breathe as good as the high $$$ rain suits.

Callaway Epic Mini driver- 12.5* (Epic head, Mini Big Bertha shaft)
    TM Burner Superfast 2.0- 3 wood 15*
    Cobra Baffler T-Rail+ 3 hybrid- 19*
    Bridgestone J40 DPC irons 4-PW
    Bridgestone J15 wedges- 50*, 54*, 58*
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Select
  • C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Will order the footjoy hydroknit soon. Can anyone comment on it?

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

I may have missed it in here... there are 25 pages, but has anyone addressed rain gloves? Are the “fuzzy” foot joy ones any good?

Love the footjoy rain gloves. About to order another pair for my upcoming trip to Ireland. Gonna get the newer white/gray ones. I still have my pair from about 5 years ago that still work well, but want a backup set for over there.

Always thought about trying the other brands, but really never saw the point. The FJ are cheaper than most and just work.

• DeacLaw05DeacLaw05 Members Posts: 373 ✭✭✭✭

The FJ rain gloves are fantastic. They wetter they get, the better they work. Had to play two tourneys this summer in downpours, and never had a club come remotely close to slipping while wearing them. Buy a pair, stick them in your bag, don’t hesitate to use them if it is raining, and be glad you have them.

• UnteachableUnteachable North MississippiBST Volunteer Mods Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@DiscoDiner said:
    I may have missed it in here... there are 25 pages, but has anyone addressed rain gloves? Are the “fuzzy” foot joy ones any good?

I have had the Nike all weather gloves in the bag for the past few years. I think they perform the same as the FootJoy but maybe look a little cooler- but I only bought them over th fj because they were cheap on amazon

• dcmidnightdcmidnight Marshals, BST Volunteer Mods Posts: 12,182 mod

@DiscoDiner said:

I use the FJ ones not only in rain but when it gets super humid here in the summer. However this year I also got a couple pairs of the TM rain gloves - they are just as good IMO. Wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

M3 12* - Aldila Rogue Elite Green 65x
    M4 3W - AD-DI6s Black
    Epic 3h - GD Tour ADs / Epic 3i - Steelfiber 95s
    M3 5h - Atmos Red s
    TM M5 6-AW Steelfiber 95 s
    TM Milled Grind 54* / Hi Toe 60*
    Yes Callie i4 35" / Chromesoft Truvis
  • DiscoDinerDiscoDiner Members Posts: 107 ✭✭✭

@dcmidnight said:

@DiscoDiner said:

I use the FJ ones not only in rain but when it gets super humid here in the summer. However this year I also got a couple pairs of the TM rain gloves - they are just as good IMO. Wouldn't hesitate to use either one.

Are the foot joy ones the ones with the “fuzzy” palms?

• jdc944jdc944 Members Posts: 75 ✭✭✭

So is the pro quip gear a lot more breathable than the foot joy? Like an earlier poster mentioned, I used my footjoy rain gear more as a winter wind barrier. I hate rain pants in the summer. I had ordered pro quip last year from golfsupport, but I ended up selling it because the size was wrong. Just wondering if they will work better for summer?

• chris975dchris975d GeorgiaClubWRX Posts: 1,935 ClubWRX

@jdc944 said:
    So is the pro quip gear a lot more breathable than the foot joy? Like an earlier poster mentioned, I used my footjoy rain gear more as a winter wind barrier. I hate rain pants in the summer. I had ordered pro quip last year from golfsupport, but I ended up selling it because the size was wrong. Just wondering if they will work better for summer?

For the most part, yes. ProQuip is more breathable. I say "for the most part" because breathability can vary from person to person, but ProQuip is a lot more breathable than many waterproofs, such as most of FootJoys lineup and even GoreTex.

TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • CCTxGolfCCTxGolf Going to the Masters...Someday Corpus ChristiMembers Posts: 868 ✭✭✭✭✭

FYI proquip is running a 35% off sale right now. Took my px6 top and bottom from $730 to $474.50

Driver - Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5*
    Fairway Wood - Titleist 917 F2 16.5* and 21*
    Irons - Titleist AP2 4-PW
    Wedges - Titleist SM 5 52*, Titleist SM 6 56* and 60*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron Golo 5 or Odyssey Toe Up #1

@CCTxGolf said:
    FYI proquip is running a 35% off sale right now. Took my px6 top and bottom from $730 to $474.50

Yup we about to come and post that. Not as good as the old golfsupport deal but pretty **** good. Was looking to use that if my Kjus didn’t work out.

What do you guys do for a hat in the rain? Wear a waterproof? Or wear your regular hat and just get wet?

If you wear a waterproof, what do you wear?

• RH82RH82 Members Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2019 7:26pm #741

Anyone know of good rain gear for tall guys? At 6'5" I don't need my rain pants looking like a pair of capri's.

Post edited by RH82 on
    Taylormade M1 440 (10.5*)
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ (15*)
    Callaway Apex (20*)
    Srixon Z785 (4-PW)
    Cleveland RTX-4 (50*/56*/60*)
    Taylormade Spider X
  • TanksfurnutinTanksfurnutin Members Posts: 176 ✭✭✭
    edited Aug 20, 2019 6:22pm #742

@RH82 said:
    Anyone know of good rain gear to tall guys? At 6'5" I don't need my rain pants looking like a pair of capri's.

Proquip pants have inseam lengths up to 35". I have the exact opposite problem with my rain pants always dragging on the ground. It was nice to get rain pants that were the correct length. They are also running a 35% off sale right now.

• GrumpyCatGrumpyCat CaliforniaMembers Posts: 27 ✭✭

... .> @Minarets said:

What do you guys do for a hat in the rain? Wear a waterproof? Or wear your regular hat and just get wet?

If you wear a waterproof, what do you wear?

I use the Seattle Sombrero rain hat from Outdoor Research.

Gore-Tex waterproofing works fine. The brim isn't very stiff though; it flops/flips up on windy days. There's also a thin fleece-like liner that provides warmth on cold days, but can get a bit too hot on milder days.

D • Ping G400 Max  • Tour 65
    3w • Cobra King F9  • Aldila Tour Blue 75
    3h • Callaway Epic • Recoil 780ES
    4i • Titleist TMB 718 • PX PXi
    5i-9i • Srixon Z945 • KBS Tour
    46/50 • Cleveland RTX3 • DG Wedge
    54/58 • Callaway PM Grind 19 • KBS Rev 2
    Odyssey Jailbird
  • stevopagolfstevopagolf Members Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

I wear the Titleist Stay Dry Baseball style. Works well

• steeletaylorsteeletaylor Inlet Beach, FLMembers Posts: 43 ✭✭

has anyone ever purchased hiking rain paints in lieu of golf specific ones?

Taylormade R11s - stock Aldila Rip Phenom Stiff 65g
    Callaway GBB 5w - Project X Evenflow Black 75g stiff
    Callaway Apex Pro '19 4-pw - KBS C-Taper Lite stiff +1/2" and 1* up
    Cleveleand RTX 3.0 50* 54* 58* - Dynamic Gold wedge shafts +1/2"
    Scotty Cameron 2016 Select Newport 35"

• howellhandmadehowellhandmade Members Posts: 824 ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the heads up on the ProQuip sale, ordered a pair of PX6 trousers. I’m actually reassured by the earlier comment about them feeling too light; over long pants, my current rain pants feel thick and bulky and for some strange reason I can’t seem to swing well in them.

• NDeferNDefer Members Posts: 19 ✭✭
    edited Aug 21, 2019 11:22pm #747

For a 34 waist would you suggest M or L ProQuip PX6 pants? Will go with 33” length as that should be perfect.

My spy did their rankings they just came out with

https://****.com/the-best-rain-gear-2019/

• C-radC-rad Members Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I would have like to see where the hydroknit in that test. Well...

Titleist 915 d2
    Titleist 917 f2 18*

PIng i25 hybrid 22* pwr 90

project x L.Z 5.5:
    Bridgestone J15 cb 5-pw
    Nike engage 52 square,
    56 toe sweep
    60 dual sole

Lajosi Dd201

A dream bag
  • dixonterp10dixonterp10 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭✭

@Minarets said:
    My spy did their rankings they just came out with

https://****.com/the-best-rain-gear-2019/

Anyone with any experience on Cross Sportswear? They have 20000m and seem to be reasonably priced with a more tailored fit.

Thoughts?

Is it reasonably priced? Always thought it was expensive.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file