Japanese Grips

OpenParOpenPar 19th HoleClubWRX Posts: 140 ✭✭
Starting to look at Japanese grips on Rakuten and wondering if anyone has experience. I have typically played Lamkin, Crossline Cord, then UTX wrap, and now Players cord. What I like about Lamkin is the amount of cord and the rubber that is typically softer and tackier than Golf Pride. So far I've tried Iomic 2.3 and while they were great with a glove, I unfortunately don't play with a glove and they felt like they got slick fast. So far my favorites that I'm considering are Elite TD50C, Perfect Pro Cord, Tour G 30 or 50 cord. The Perfect Pro are in line price wise with Lamkin, the others not so much. Just wondering if it's worth the ~$5 premium per grip to upgrade.
JDM Taylormade SLDR 430TP - Aerotech Claymore
JDM SYB FC-714 15* - Steelfiber ss75
JDM SYB FC-714 18* - Steelfiber ss75
Mizuno Yoro Craft MP-4 (raw) - TI X100
Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 52* - TI X100
Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 58* - TI X100
Ping Anser TR 1966 WRX
Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
«1

Comments

  • DeNinnyDeNinny Major Wiener Members Posts: 7,975 ✭✭
    I've played Iomic Stickies and NO1 Pros and they were great in terms of traction and no slippage. But my issue with both was the very quick wear. Both are silicone based elastomers which makes them wear and feel a little different than rubber grips. To me they grip better but wear out faster than rubber. Not worth it to me but neither is rubber. I much prefer GripMaster leather grips.
    TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
    TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
    Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
    GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
    34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

    Registered Bladeocrat
    Outlaw Golf Association Member #7
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members Posts: 1,300 ✭✭
    I like Perfect Pro, Tour G, Masda Slicks, Elite
    ‘17 M2 “K serial” 10.5* turned down a notch, Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 63S
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    Epon AF-901 22*, Roddio Pentacross I-8, S
    '11 OnOff Forged 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-10, S
    Cleveland RTX-3 V-MG 52* & 58*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Performing validation testing of the M G S test
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,538 ClubWRX
    OpenPar wrote:


    Starting to look at Japanese grips on Rakuten and wondering if anyone has experience. I have typically played Lamkin, Crossline Cord, then UTX wrap, and now Players cord. What I like about Lamkin is the amount of cord and the rubber that is typically softer and tackier than Golf Pride. So far I've tried Iomic 2.3 and while they were great with a glove, I unfortunately don't play with a glove and they felt like they got slick fast. So far my favorites that I'm considering are Elite TD50C, Perfect Pro Cord, Tour G 30 or 50 cord. The Perfect Pro are in line price wise with Lamkin, the others not so much. Just wondering if it's worth the ~$5 premium per grip to upgrade.


    I use NO1 Pros on my wedges,with 3 extra wraps. I play a lot of wedge shots without a glove and I like the way they feel without a glove.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    I really liked the Dance With Dragon and Masda Slicks. I've been wearing a glove less and less last few times I have been out.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • ShaccoShacco Members Posts: 84
    I'd stay away from the Elite TD50C. I had a couple to test and while they feel fine and have good traction, they are the least durable grips I have ever had. The traction pattern is cut in in a way that makes it prone to tearing out the patterns. I think the Y360 will probably be the better option.
    Callaway Epic SZ, Kamui TP-XF 3W, Romaro iBrid Chapter2, 5-PW PRGR RS Forged, CGS Orion Spy S Wedge GW, Yamaha InpresX SW, Edel DGR LW
  • PlayfromtheBrainPlayfromtheBrain Members Posts: 174 ✭✭
    I can't seem to find the Tour G grips on Rakuten. Only for $21/piece of TSG.
  • widow-makerwidow-maker Members Posts: 1,602 ✭✭
    I play the Elite Y360's. Can't find anything quite like them in the US. Worth the extra money to me.
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭
    I'm testing the Iomic sticky 2.3 Ixx LTC. It's the low torque model that has grit in the top hand and a firmer compound than the normal sticky for the bottom hand. Feel nice and I reckon they will hold up better than the sticky
  • OpenParOpenPar 19th HoleClubWRX Posts: 140 ✭✭


    I can't seem to find the Tour G grips on Rakuten. Only for $21/piece of TSG.




    They're on Rakuten for $15, Rakuten search is not great for actually finding stuff. I've read good things about Tour G so leaning towards giving them a try.



    https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/endeavor-s/item/tourg-cord30/?l-id=rgm_item_en_rvp_widget
    JDM Taylormade SLDR 430TP - Aerotech Claymore
    JDM SYB FC-714 15* - Steelfiber ss75
    JDM SYB FC-714 18* - Steelfiber ss75
    Mizuno Yoro Craft MP-4 (raw) - TI X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 52* - TI X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 58* - TI X100
    Ping Anser TR 1966 WRX
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • skralyskraly ClubWRX Posts: 1,538 ClubWRX
    Kingcat990 wrote:


    I really liked the Dance With Dragon and Masda Slicks. I've been wearing a glove less and less last few times I have been out.


    Yeah, the Masda’s are pretty nice. A little on the thin side for my taste but I can build them up.
  • boulAAYYYboulAAYYY Members Posts: 453 ✭✭
    I play the TD50C and love them.they are one the durable side for me
    Ping G400 LST 9*(DL and HM) W/ Matrix TP7HDe XX
    Callaway x2hot Aldila tour green 85TX
    Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
    Honma TW737V 4-pw w/ KBS $-Taper
    Honma TW W4 50/54 $-taper & 610
    Callaway MD Forged 58 custom grind Kbs tour X
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5s 35"
    Swing: https://youtu.be/dRK_GXV7rDg (Driver FV)
    https://youtu.be/2pszXHplqx4 (DTL)
  • kingarthurkingarthur Members Posts: 585 ✭✭
    Try Perfect Pro with cords, play similar to Lamkin but it does feel a bit better than UTx. Not sure how it would compare to Z5s or the player cords.
  • golftechgolftech Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    Anyone know where in the UK or EU I can buy the Mazda’s? For that matter the No1 Pro also.
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    golftech wrote:


    Anyone know where in the UK or EU I can buy the Mazda’s? For that matter the No1 Pro also.




    Try TourSpec or Rakuten. They can get you a set sent to the UK. You will probably have to pay duties.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • Kingcat990Kingcat990 European Tailored Golf Socks Members Posts: 3,813 ✭✭
    skraly wrote:

    Kingcat990 wrote:


    I really liked the Dance With Dragon and Masda Slicks. I've been wearing a glove less and less last few times I have been out.


    Yeah, the Masda’s are pretty nice. A little on the thin side for my taste but I can build them up.




    They were perfect for me right out of the gate, but I hover around a STD/MID, more closer to STD. So if you played a mid/jmb then you're correct, these grips would need to be built up. Gotta think though, the Japanese have inherently smaller hands as opposed to the rest of the globe.
    Wyoming Cowboys
  • OpenParOpenPar 19th HoleClubWRX Posts: 140 ✭✭
    Ended up ordering some Grip Master Classic Wraps in Mahogany. They look great on raw Mizuno blades, fyi. Not nearly the pine tar **** that my previous perforated Grip Masters were, why I ended up going back to cord. Still might order some singles from Rakuten and try out some Perfect Pro, Tour G, Elite, Masda, etc. on some spare clubs just to give a review. Thanks for the suggestions.
    JDM Taylormade SLDR 430TP - Aerotech Claymore
    JDM SYB FC-714 15* - Steelfiber ss75
    JDM SYB FC-714 18* - Steelfiber ss75
    Mizuno Yoro Craft MP-4 (raw) - TI X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 52* - TI X100
    Cleveland RTX 4 (raw) 58* - TI X100
    Ping Anser TR 1966 WRX
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star XV
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    Muziik grips here! I have their DRC soft on one set of irons and wedges, and their Tour 360 version on another set of irons. I also have Elite Y360 S, Air, and SH. SH feel pretty darn good, they are 1mm thinner I think than S and must be different material compound (imo)
  • tsupotsupo ClubWRX Posts: 1,193 ✭✭
    if anyones keen to try some, I have about 20 muziik blacks I was planning on re grippin a cpl of sets with but went masdas I again instead,

    drop me PM.

    10.5* kamui pro tp07/diamana X 70s ..... 15* prgr egg spoon/roddio tour bee 71x ....18* prgr egg/ diamana stinger 70xx....22* PRGR  speed di...... 3/pw  MASDA mb/NS proto 2g18s..... 52*/56*  TOURSTAGE cu X wedge / NS WV125s......TOURSTAGE x01z balls.

  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,895 ✭✭
    Those Muziiks dry compound are really really good !!!!
  • marmadukmarmaduk Members Posts: 161 ✭✭
    I have personally found Japanese grips to be too thin. I use Oversized Lamkin grips and I find Japanese grips to feel similar to a ladies grip to give you a comparison.
    WITB: Epon, Ryoma, A-Grind, Yururi, Bettinardi
    http://www.golfwrx.c...-pic-heavy-jdm/

    Trees may be 90% air but they're 100% angry.
  • autronicdsmautronicdsm Members Posts: 745 ✭✭
    Your hands are 'YUGE.
  • tsupotsupo ClubWRX Posts: 1,193 ✭✭
    yea they are probably thinner , I just throw an extra layer of tape under most. pretty much does the trick.

    iomics are normal,

    cadero are thick( too thick for irons for me ) ,

    masdas are ok, (big taper)

    I found it very hard to go to bigger grips , like the gripmasters , ive been struggling with those. they take all the fell away, granted my hands arnt not big. still ,on irons I prefer top be a bit more flicky with the fingers whixh is helped by smaller grips.

    10.5* kamui pro tp07/diamana X 70s ..... 15* prgr egg spoon/roddio tour bee 71x ....18* prgr egg/ diamana stinger 70xx....22* PRGR  speed di...... 3/pw  MASDA mb/NS proto 2g18s..... 52*/56*  TOURSTAGE cu X wedge / NS WV125s......TOURSTAGE x01z balls.

  • Jack PearsallJack Pearsall Members Posts: 3,334 ✭✭
    Have always felt that just about everything concerning the grip in golf is minimized when it should be the focus often.

    There are some amazing grips these days and it is just wonderful.

    Will check these out!
    Taylormade SLDR TP 430 10*
    Taylormade Aeroburner 15*
    Taylormade SLDR 19*
    Mizuno MP FliHi 21* 24*
    Mizuno MP-15 5-PW
    Epon 210KGX 52* 56*
    Scotty Cameron TeI3 Newport Longneck
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭
    Iomic 2.3 play regular size. The 1.8 is the thinner Japanese market version
  • golftechgolftech Members Posts: 413 ✭✭
    If I want a Japanese grip with minimal taper, what are the best options?

    Thanks,
  • Pleasedwith3puttsPleasedwith3putts Members Posts: 1,723 ✭✭
    golftech wrote:


    If I want a Japanese grip with minimal taper, what are the best options?

    Thanks,




    The Iomic Ixx LTC 2.3 is worth a look
  • dmeeksDCdmeeksDC ClubWRX Posts: 2,197 ClubWRX
    OpenPar wrote:


    Ended up ordering some Grip Master Classic Wraps in Mahogany. They look great on raw Mizuno blades, fyi. Not nearly the pine tar **** that my previous perforated Grip Masters were, why I ended up going back to cord. Still might order some singles from Rakuten and try out some Perfect Pro, Tour G, Elite, Masda, etc. on some spare clubs just to give a review. Thanks for the suggestions.




    How do you like them in action?



    Also, are these sized like other grips? If I play GP CP2 with two extra wraps (1/32) would I do the same with these to match size?
    Ping G400 9 degrees, Ping Tour stiff shaft, 65 grams
    Callaway XHot2 Pro 5 wood, 17 degrees, Aldila Tour Blue stiff shaft
    Titleist 915F fairway, 21 degrees, Diamana Blue 70 stiff
    Srixon 565 4 iron, Nippon 980GH stiff shaft
    Adams CMB irons, 5-PW, KBS C Taper regular shafts (110g)
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50 degree, F grind, Dynamic Gold S200 shaft
    Callaway Mack Daddy 2 54-degree wedge, S grind, DG wedge shaft
    Ben Hogan TK wedge, 59 degree, KBS black wedge shaft
    TaylorMade TP Chaska putter, sliver, 34 inches
  • NORFOLK757NORFOLK757 VirginiaMembers Posts: 13 ✭✭
    No1 series50 round = Great grips. The feel is great. They do wear, so I change them 2 times per year.
  • easylittle5woodeasylittle5wood Members Posts: 1,199 ✭✭
    Palmax is another good one.
  • z18z18 Members Posts: 128 ✭✭
    DeNinny wrote:


    I've played Iomic Stickies and NO1 Pros and they were great in terms of traction and no slippage. But my issue with both was the very quick wear. Both are silicone based elastomers which makes them wear and feel a little different than rubber grips. To me they grip better but wear out faster than rubber. Not worth it to me but neither is rubber. I much prefer GripMaster leather grips.
    Particularly if you don't play with a glove, IMHO I don't think there is a better grip than one made of leather. I haven't had mine long enough to vouch for their longevity, but supposedly they last much longer than rubber.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif] Driver - Cobra Fly Z with Oban red[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Wood - Adams 16*[/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 3 Hybrid - Calloway X2 Hot Pro 19*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] 4 Iron - Hogan Ft Worth Hi - KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Irons - 5-PW - Miura 1957 BB - Nippon Pro 1050GH - R Flex[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Wedge 51* - Hogan TK [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]- KBS Tour 90 - R Flex[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Wedges 55* & 59* - Miura 1957 C Grind - KBS Wedge - S Flex[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] Putter - DeLaCruz CP-2[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif] [/font]
Sign In or Register to comment.