Is the Masters lottery “random”?

13»

Comments

• mankumanku Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
    My guess is there are thousands who apply with the sole purpose of scalping the tickets.

There may not be an easier 1K+ to be made on this planet.
  • bamagolfbamagolf Members Posts: 168 ✭✭
    I'm like 1 for 20 something. I got 3 for Tuesday in 08 when the app process was still on snail mail. Fortunately I know a guy and have been 8 times since then.
    Ping G400 LST 10* (set at 9*)
    Ping G400 3W 14.5*
    Callaway GBB Heavenwood (set at 20*)
    Callaway XR OS 5H, 6H, 7H
    Ping G410 7-LW
    TM Spider X 35"
  • Spinedoc2304Spinedoc2304 Members Posts: 117 ✭✭
    So I’m 0 for 5 since my friend had his ticket yanked from him ( which was in my name) by a Pinkerton guard in the middle of a scalping transaction on our way out to the parking lot.

Think I’m banned for life?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,824 ✭✭

So I'm 0 for 5 since my friend had his ticket yanked from him ( which was in my name) by a Pinkerton guard in the middle of a scalping transaction on our way out to the parking lot.

Think I'm banned for life?

does the Pope ride in the popemobile? yeppers...you all is probably on the list
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • rockinarrockinar Members Posts: 2,150 ✭✭
    I'd like to regretfully inform ANGC that I did not want to go anyways.........AGAIN.
  • golfandfishinggolfandfishing Members Posts: 3,435 ✭✭

So I’m 0 for 5 since my friend had his ticket yanked from him ( which was in my name) by a Pinkerton guard in the middle of a scalping transaction on our way out to the parking lot.

Think I’m banned for life?

Yeah.
  • sefus12sefus12 Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    I'm still waiting for my email to tell me I continue to be 0-for-the-century on this lottery.
    Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
    TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
    Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
    TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
    Odyssey Rossie FB1
    Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    While this is probably not the best thread for a random sample, I suspect that most golfers aren't really trying to get Masters tickets. Not saying they wouldn't go if someone gave them Sunday tickets with travel and hotel included. I've seen major golf (but not the Masters) in person and watched it on TV. Much prefer TV. No crowds, no drunks, no traffic or parking hassles, relax on a comfy chair in the AC, save a ton of $$ on travel and hotels, and I see more of the action than I would on site, etc. Attending on a Monday or Tuesday feels like paying and hassle to watch a World Series batting practice session...
  • sefus12sefus12 Members Posts: 1,554 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

While this is probably not the best thread for a random sample, I suspect that most golfers aren't really trying to get Masters tickets. Not saying they wouldn't go if someone gave them Sunday tickets with travel and hotel included. I've seen major golf (but not the Masters) in person and watched it on TV. Much prefer TV. No crowds, no drunks, no traffic or parking hassles, relax on a comfy chair in the AC, save a ton of $$ on travel and hotels, and I see more of the action than I would on site, etc. Attending on a Monday or Tuesday feels like paying and hassle to watch a World Series batting practice session...

Make the trip to Augusta and you would probably feel differently. It's truly incredible to be in the Masters atmosphere at Augusta.
    Nike CT 2.0 w/Kuro Kage TiNi 60x
    TM Rocketballz Tour 13*
    Titleist 913h 17* w/D+ 92s
    TM Rocketbladez Tour w/KBS Tour S
    Odyssey Rossie FB1
    Titleist Vokey SM4 Wedges
  • AB1620AB1620 Members Posts: 21
    Naptime wrote:

You've obviously never been. I went for the first time this past year and I would every year for the entire week until I die if I could.
  • NaptimeNaptime Members Posts: 607 ✭✭
    AB1620 wrote:

Naptime wrote:

You've obviously never been. I went for the first time this past year and I would every year for the entire week until I die if I could.

Correct that I've never been to ANGC. Have seen Jack, Arnie, Lee, Chi Chi etc. in tournament rounds at various other events back in the day. While it was nice to have done it a few times, I always looked forward to leaving early to beat traffic and watching the end on TV later.
  • North TexasNorth Texas Members Posts: 4,108 ✭✭
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #73
    2 for 8 here.

Had someone on here offer me $2,000 each for 2 of my Wednesday tickets one year but I had already promised them to our best friends. No regrets.

The other year I won tickets for the Monday round that got rained out where they closed the course at 10 am. Two weeks later I received an email from the Masters telling me that I would receive a complete refund and that I would automatically get tickets for the following year. I assumed Monday again but was surprised when they sent tickets for Wednesday.

The wife and I have been extremely fortunate to have attended 6 of the last 8 years for the Wednesday and Thursday rounds thanks to my son whose company gets tickets every year.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,674 ✭✭
    Call it funny or just a coincidence, the OP is the same guy that supports yelling at golf events.

And he didn't get tickets?

And he's wondering about random selection?

They know who is naughty and who is nice.

They know.
  • BiggErnBiggErn Members Posts: 2,290 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

I would actually prefer a Monday or a Tuesday badge.
  • mankumanku Members Posts: 704 ✭✭
    Naptime wrote:

Everyone I know who has gone, even non golf fans, say it's great.

The Masters is brilliant in keeping concessions and ticket prices low...it generates an enormous amount of goodwill, and patrons probably end up spending so much at the merchandise tent that they end up making more than if they charged regular prices for tickets and food.

I would have a really hard time not putting my tickets on Stubhub if I won...with the proceeds, I could head up the coast and have a really fun weekend at Pebble instead!
  • sticknerstickner Members Posts: 378
    Ferguson wrote:

Call it funny or just a coincidence, the OP is the same guy that supports yelling at golf events.

They know.

I support logic and not hypocrisy.

If making a loud noise (cheering) is not acceptable when a golfer is in the middle of, or about to hit a shot, then it should NEVER be acceptable to make any loud noise.

Why does the nearby player you can see deserve the courtesy of silence, yet the player 200 yards away in an adjacent fairway doesn't?

As far as yelling something idiotic after a player hits, sometimes I find it hysterical, sometimes I find it ridiculous. Either way why does it bother you? If it's not profane and the "offender" is not some out-of-control drunk, why does it matter?

BA BA BOOOEY!!!!!
  • AB1620AB1620 Members Posts: 21
    edited Jul 6, 2018 #78
    Naptime,

You don't go to see the "stars". You go to see the most incredible golf course in the world. I always heard the stories about how you can't put it into words just how beautiful the place is and quite frankly I didn't believe the hype. Well it didn't just live up to it, it exceeded it. I like to think that if there were ever a heaven on earth it would be that stretch of 12, 13, 14 when the Azaleas are in full bloom.
  • RangeballzRangeballz Members Posts: 1,688 ✭✭
    While I agree somewhat with those that prefer to watch on TV (for the actual competition), I just want to see the course, have some reasonably priced concessions, and blow some serious cash on Masters swag.
  • FergusonFerguson Members Posts: 4,674 ✭✭
    stickner wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

They know.

If making a loud noise (cheering) is not acceptable when a golfer is in the middle of, or about to hit a shot, then it should NEVER be acceptable to make any loud noise.

Why does the nearby player you can see deserve the courtesy of silence, yet the player 200 yards away in an adjacent fairway doesn't?

As far as yelling something idiotic after a player hits, sometimes I find it hysterical, sometimes I find it ridiculous. Either way why does it bother you? If it's not profane and the "offender" is not some out-of-control drunk, why does it matter?

BA BA BOOOEY!!!!!

Did you get tickets?
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day.... Members Posts: 25,824 ✭✭
    stickner wrote:

Ferguson wrote:

They know.

BA BA BOOOEY!!!!!

youre avatar pic fits... hypocrisy indeed....
    TM Tour M6 11.2 * KK Tini XTS 70X
    TM Tour 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    TM Tour M5 19.8 * Aldila Synergy Blue 70TX  
    Titleist Tour Proto MB 3-pw Modus 130X
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 S400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 tungsten sole weights, sound slot
  • mattw387mattw387 Members Posts: 156 ✭✭
    edited Jul 7, 2018 #82
    Naptime wrote:
    AB1620 wrote:

Naptime wrote:

Correct that I've never been to ANGC. Have seen Jack, Arnie, Lee, Chi Chi etc. in tournament rounds at various other events back in the day. While it was nice to have done it a few times, I always looked forward to leaving early to beat traffic and watching the end on TV later.

Good! Better odds for us! North Texas and I actually sat next to each other last year during the par 3, unbeknownst to each other at the time.

I’m heading back this year for Friday’s round. Hope to see you again Tex!
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • PeanutsDaddyPeanutsDaddy Members Posts: 8,657 ✭✭
    I'm undoubtedly in the small minority of WRXers who will never enter the lottery, and have no interest in attending.

Better odds for those who wish to attend.

Cobra King F7 9*<br />Wishon 919FD 13* (1* open)<br />Wishon 950HC 18* (1* open)<br />Wishon 775hs 21*, 24*, 27<br />NCW 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*<br />Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)<br />Betti, Machine, Mannkrafted, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon
  • SkhackerSkhacker The Minimalist Golfer Members Posts: 1,476 ✭✭
  • Skifly150Skifly150 Members Posts: 90 ✭✭
    batting .000 here as well....... however I'm gonna keep swingin'!