VOTE: What's the best Open Championship venue?

124»

Comments

• stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,828 ✭✭

Turnberry. I've been fortunate to play them all. Turnberry (current version) and Muirfield are by far the best designs. But the changes to Turnberry where it can now stretch to 7400+ and tees can be adjusted to fit the expected wind for the day. It's really hard but completely fair.

BTW, I'm no Trump supporter, but the caddies and staff absolutely love what Trump did to the place. It was a dying resort and he salvaged their jobs. As a resort it still needs a lot of improvements. There's almost nothing nearby, and the food and service are pretty bad. But the course is 5 star.

Great assessment, I hold no brief for Mr Trump either but everything I've seen re. his golf developments has been out of the top drawer.
    Vintage various.
  • stixmanstixman Hew to the line. Let the divots fall where they may. 1926 Golf I Members Posts: 1,828 ✭✭
    bghanson7p wrote:

I was at the Open in '95 and will always be completely in love with the Old Course. I am also in disagreement with some here who say that less town encroachment is better. Golf courses in Scotland are the town, and the towns connection to them makes them all the more wonderful. That being said if they played the Open at the Old Course every year no one would complain.

I have played three of the Rota: Old Course, Turnberry and Muirfield my favorite being St. Andrews, but I would have rather played additional rounds at Nairn or Royal Dornoch (my favorite Scottish Course period) than Muirfield. A stuffy place where they (at least in the past) went out of their way to remind you you are a guest at their discretion.

'A stuffy place where they (at least in the past) went out of their way to remind you you are a guest at their discretion.'

Nothing like to the same extent as St Andrews at Hastings on Hudson, Baltusrol and Sleepy Hollow, from my presonal experience!
    Vintage various.
  • scratchauthorityscratchauthority Members Posts: 7
    As much as I didn't want to because I knew that it would be popular opinion I just had to go for St Andrews because it has everything about it including the history. However, 2nd and most underused has to be Turnberry - to think it's only hosted 4 Open's and it has to rank highly based on the iconic moments for Tom Watson.
    https://www.becomeascratchgolfer.com - Best golf tips to improve your game
  • 151bar151151bar151 Members Posts: 68 ✭✭
    St. Andrews is a legend, but it's ridiculously easy for modern players, especially if there is no wind.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course ClubWRX Posts: 129 ClubWRX

Tough to choose, they're all so good.

I went with Carnoustie - maybe because it's the current one, and maybe because it's so nasty.

St. Andrews has an undeniable claim for being the best-known and oldest.

Turnberry has been taken out of contention for the time being....

+1
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    On Sunday morning I'll take the back row seat
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White 65 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: Idea Pro Black 20 * Project X 6.0 (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: I try to change everyday to ward off monotony and consistency

WITB
  • The Mad BomberThe Mad Bomber I seem to not like new things. Get off my lawn... Posts: 1,036 ✭✭
    Having played at Carnoustie and the Old Lady, I can't say anything but St. Andrews. The place is pure magic.
    915 D3 7.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    909F2 15.5º w/ Grafalloy blue
    T-MB 2 iron C-Taper
    Mizzy MP-5 4-9 C-Taper
    SM6 47º, 52º, 56º C-Taper
    Mizzy S18 60-06º Blue Ion
    Scotty Newport 2, 35" Tour Issue X7, Hard stepped x2, Tipped 2"

WITB link
  • KgglonghornKgglonghorn ClubWRX Posts: 53
    my lone round at the old course was marred with cars driving across the street that splits the 1 and 18 fairways, a carnival going on next to the first green, the criss crossing of fairways and people at the turn, the hecklers at the hotel, and finally, the long wait on 18 while many many non golfers ran over to Swillcan bridge to take their pictures, with absolutely ZERO regard for us on the tee. Obviously, that all gets removed for a major championship, but it certainly took away from what should have been one magical day on the links. Would I go back to paly it again? IN A HEARTBEAT.
  • 57Seve57Seve Members Posts: 47 ✭✭
    atursky wrote:

Factoring in course design, viewing enjoyment, overall test of golf, history, and whatever else you put into your criteria, what do you think is the best Open Championship venue, and why? Leave your comments in the thread below after you vote!

Old Course St. Andrews.

I've played Royal Troon, so that'd be #2 for me.

Titleist 910 D2 7.5* (Fujikura Motore Speeder VC 7.1 S/44")
    Titleist 906 F2 18* 5W (TT DG S300)
    Mizuno MP4 Irons, 4-9 (TT DG S300)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 48* F Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Vokey SM5 54* M Grind (TT DG Wedge Shaft)
    Titleist Scotty Cameron 1995 Classic Laguna

• SugarPenguinSugarPenguin Members Posts: 12 ✭✭
    Never played it but seen the course from the coast. Has to be Muirfield in terms of the course but I don't think it's all about the course. You just cannot beat the feeling of St. Andrews. You think of the open and you Immediately think of St. Andrews.

Birkdale is such an underrated golf course as well.
    The Bats:
    TS3 - Project X HZRDUS Yellow
    915F 3 Wood - Aldila Rogue Silver
    Apex Hybrid 19°- Kuro Kage Black
    716 AP2 - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Vokey 50° 54° 58° - Project X Rifle 6.0
    Spider Tour Red[/font]
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Posts: 972 ✭✭
    There are several great courses in the rota, but there's no chance you'll ever get a different answer out of me than St. Andrews. So much history and the farewells that have taken place on the Swilcan bridge alone are enough to sway it for me.
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • Gotta be St. Andrews with Carnoustie a close second (possibly some recency basis)
  • rangersgoalierangersgoalie Posts: 1,744 ✭✭
    I want to say At Andrews.

It’s just too perfect with the blen of history and weirdness of some things on the course.

It is certainly short and too easy in calm weather for many, but nothing is close to the blend of

History and championships imo

• tgreenwood11tgreenwood11 Bye bye yips in 2015 Posts: 482
    Ive played a few of the Open venues. Carnoustie is by far the toughest track I’ve ever been on.
  • Carnoustie comfortably.
    • Taylormade M4 9.5 Accra TZx455 M5
    • Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Accra TZx465 M5
    • Callaway Razr Fit 19 Diamana Whiteboard 73X
    • Callaway Apex Pro 2018 4 Iron Nippon Modus 125X
    • Callaway Apex Oil Can MB 2018 5 - PW Nippon Modus 125X
    • Callaway MD4 Black 52 Nippon Modus 125X
    • Callaway MD4 Black 56 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    • Callaway MD4 Black 60 Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400
    • Ping Vault 2.0 ZB in Black
    • Titleist Pro V1
  • tacrispytacrispy Posts: 148 ✭✭
    edited Mar 16, 2019 5:54pm #107
    Played Old course and muirfield and watched open at carnoustie. Loved old course and everything about it, love watching the opens there. That being said muirfield felt more like a charmpionship course and carboustie definitely looked the part.

Nothing beats watching the open at old course but for a championship test I would say muirfield and carnoustie followed by old course from these 3
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]TM M2 '16 10.5 Projext X Hzrdus 6.5 75Gr[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Cobra F8 3wood Aldilla Tour Green XS[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams A7 3Hybrid Aldilla RIP Alpha XS[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Srixon Z745 4-PW Project X 6.5[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 50[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Callaway MD3 54,58 S400[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]Piretti Cottonwood 2[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]TM TP5 ball[/font]
  • icemakricemakr Charter Members Posts: 523 ✭✭
    Old Course if the wind is up.

Car’nasty is wicked hard

I voted for Muirfield, I thought it had some great holes.

Turnberry circa 2000

I know it can’t possibly hold a modern Open but I really enjoyed Prestwick
    Cobra King F9 SPEEDBACK 9(-1) 2KXV Blue<br />Cobra F9 Tour 15.5* Atmos<br />Ping g400 7w DVS 80<br />Cobra King oversize 21* hybrid<br />Cobra King Forged TEC black 6-GW Steelfiber i95<br />Cobra King Black 58*<br />Callaway 64*<br />Tour Issue 2ball<br /><br /> MELANOMA SURVIVOR "kids wear your sunscreen !!"<br />OG wrxer (check my member #)<br />
  • Hogan9Hogan9 Members Posts: 51 ✭✭
    I love The Old Course due to it's history and it's still one of my favorites. However, I voted for Carnoustie simply because I think it's more difficult.
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,659 ✭✭
    I think it's unusual how often Muirfield gets called out for being "stuffy." Perhaps some users are projecting their expectations considering they do not often gain access to a private facility? My understanding is that Muirfield and The Honourable Company of Edinburgh golfers would most closely compare to a very exclusive private club stateside like perhaps Congressional. I do not think it is fair to compare it to Augusta National, but nonetheless, it is an exclusive membership in Scotland.

The fact that Muirfield allows unaccompanied guest play is the opposite of stuffy. Congressional, or any club of it's ilk in any major market in the U.S. certainly does not.

The few times I have been fortunate enough to play an exclusive private golf course I did so with the upmost respect for the fact that I was entering what in effect is these members' "home."

Maybe my opinion of Muirfield will change after I play it. But, I think it's unreasonable for players to be allowed the opportunity to visit and then complain that the atmosphere is not inviting enough for them. They are allowing you to come play the golf course, not join their club. The unaccompanied playing privileges alone are a huge improvement from the likes of even "middle tier" privates in the USA.

I really like going to church, just can't stand how QUIET it is. Don't these zealots have fun? Come on man, it's like fighting gravity.... or not liking the sky for being blue.
  • greenj20greenj20 Members Posts: 20
    St Andrews just for the history alone.
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Driver: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Fairway: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]TaylorMade - M2 2017 3 HL[/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Hybrid: [/font][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - King F7 3H, Cobra - King F8 ONE 4H, 5H [/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Irons: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE PW-6[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Wedges: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Cobra - F-MAX ONE GW (50), SW (55)[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Putter: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Evnroll ER2[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Ball: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Vice - Pro+ Lime[/font][/font]
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bag: [/font][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif]Sun Mountain Phantom - Black[/font][/font]
  • Wildwing55Wildwing55 Posts: 285 ✭✭
    Bushwood...

With gophers...

And golfers, of course...
  • backhillbackhill Members Posts: 92 ✭✭
    Carnoustie, but Royal Troon is a close second with the postage stamp. Love watching that hole.
  • stormbringerstormbringer Stormbringer UtahMembers Posts: 48 ✭✭
    St Andrews above all others.  
    Driver  G400 Max 9.75 Ping Tour 65 Stiff
    3 Wood  Rapture 13 Ping TFC 949 Stiff
    5 Wood  Mashie 18 Miyazaki C Kua Stiff
    Hybrid  Karsten 4 Hybrid Ping KS 401 Stiff
    Irons   IE1 4-U Red Dot KBS Tour 105 X
    Wedges Ping Tour S 54-12 DG Wedge, Ping Tour S 60-10 KBS Wedge
    Putter Bobby Grace A** Kicker Putter 37" Super Stroke Plus XL Counter Balanced
    Ball  Taylormade TP5
  • irvnastyirvnasty Posts: 236 ✭✭

I don't think there are too many wrong answers. Carnoustie would be my instinct, but obviously Turnberry, Muirfield, and of course St. Andrews all are reasonable choices as well. I do want to throw in a shout for Troon, however. I think it's underrated. Winning scores there have typically been pretty humble, with the exception being 2016, when it produced the Stenson-Mickelson duel. If not for those two, the winning score would have been in line with course history.

Taylormade 2016 M2 9º (Mitsubishi Diamana Blue Board).
    Mizuno JPX 850 3w 15º (Mitsubishi Kuro Kage TiNi)
    Mizuno JPX 850 3h 19º (Fujikura Motore Speeder).
    Adams Dhy 21º (Aldila Tour Blue nxt Gen)
    Srixon z565 (5-PW, NS Pro Modus3 130)
    Cleveland RTX 2.0 (50º, 54º, 58º, NS Pro WV115)
    Ping B60 Scottsdale TR
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • Matt JMatt J Members Posts: 8,659 ✭✭

I think it depends a lot on perspective, player, tv viewer, or live viewer.

Just played TOC, Carnoustie, and Muirfield a couple weeks ago. I think the burn probably makes Carnoustie the hardest of the three. Muirfield is pure and has all of East Lothian to offer guests while watching the Open, the Old is probably the greatest experience for a live viewer and most appreciated by the non-golfing tv viewer. I'm sure the players were stoked on Carnoustie's new club house last year. If given the ability to compete you would have to say winning at TOC is on a different level. Although I'd have to say Muirfield was my favorite of the three.

• MattP66MattP66 Members Posts: 28 ClubWRX

Hoylake or Birkdale , idk why I just like them even though there are better courses in the rotation

Taylormade M2 2017 8.5* Tensei CK Pro Blue Stiff
    Taylormade M4 Tour 15* Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
    Taylormade M4 Tour 18* Fujikura Pro 73 Stiff
    Taylormade P-790 UDi Project X Hzrdus Black 6.0
    PING iBlade 4-PW XP95 S300
    Nike Engage 52*, 56* SQ & 60* DS, DG S300
    Odyssey O-Works Black 3T

Alternate 5 Wood and 2 Iron depending on conditions

Bag Nike Vrs 3M staff bag/Ping 4 Series 2017

Ball Taylormade TP5

Apparel: Nike Performance
    Shoes : Nike Lunar Control 3 (White/Crimson), Nike Lunar Control Vapor II (White/Black),Nike Lunar Command 2 (Grey/University Red/White), Nike Roshe G (Red/White)
124»