Bring back the “ Big Break “ !!!

Comments

• Mr. HoganMr. Hogan Members Posts: 1,348 ✭✭
    I only watched for the hot chicks.

I have no interest in watching men play golf poorly.
    USGA - Unusually Stupid Governance Association
  • deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,671 ClubWRX
    Gerina Pillar was on there too. Mendoza I think then.
    Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,737 ✭✭
    giphy.gif
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • LlortamaiseyLlortamaisey Members Posts: 5,901 ✭✭
    They should change the format, make it more realistic. Get rid of all those challenge gimmicks. The first couple of episodes should be them at the local muni trying to hustle some games. The players who earn the most money move on to the next round, some local one day pro tourneys. Those who make the most earnings get exemptions into a regional tour event, like the NGA or Swing Thinking Tour or whatever they’re calling it these days. From there they go to Web and whoever is left standing at the end gets a full ride on the Web for the next year. Only problem with my idea is that none of the guys would probably make it past the local muni.
  • Birdie MacBirdie Mac Members Posts: 496 ✭✭
    I'm on board with this idea. Other than the player's lessons, this is the only show I watched regularly. Get creative in bringing down production costs and the off course drama. I'm a fan.
  • Carl Spackler3Carl Spackler3 Members Posts: 924 ✭✭
    I liked the show very much
    Titleist 915 D2
    Ping G 3 W
    Ping G 5W
    Ping G25 Hybrid
    Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
    Vokey 52-08 sm4
    Vokey 56-14 sm6
    Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)
  • averysdadaverysdad Members Posts: 1,176 ✭✭
    I really enjoyed the From The Range show as well. Using on site talent and a few guys in the studio and a few cameras spread around the range from PGA events. Seems cheap-er than the BB format and there was a whole lot less talk. Bring that show back too if we’re talking about GC shows we miss.
  • BMCBMC Members Posts: 3,557 ✭✭
    And cut into "The Legend of Bagger Vance" reruns? No thank you. Do you think GC will every run that Bobby Jones movie?
    PING Rapture V1 Driver 9*
    Cobra Baffler Pro 18* & 23* hybrids
    Titleist 755 irons
    Vokey Wedges 46/54/58
    Odyssey #1WS
  • marmooskapaulmarmooskapaul Members Posts: 1,342 ✭✭
    Off the top of my head...Tommy Gainey, Matt Every and Tony Finau have all won on the PGA tour. There might be more?? That's not too shabby.
  • Sonja HenieSonja Henie Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    I enjoyed it but it drove my wife crazy.
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 142 ClubWRX
    Richy Werenski was on it also and he won a WEB event and contended in a fall series.
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,372 ✭✭

Off the top of my head...Tommy Gainey, Matt Every and Tony Finau have all won on the PGA tour. There might be more?? That's not too shabby.

Vegas I think it was also had James Nitties, he was a very good Australian player who finished second in their Open one year, and if i recall led most of the tournament with some big time PGA guys there.

People talked about him being very talented
    Cobra F8+ 8.0 w/Aldila NV65 2kxV
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Steelhead XR 18 w/S300
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
  • ChronicSlicerChronicSlicer Members Posts: 949 ✭✭

They should change the format, make it more realistic. Get rid of all those challenge gimmicks. The first couple of episodes should be them at the local muni trying to hustle some games. The players who earn the most money move on to the next round,

What happens when there`s nobody to hustle? Does that player get booted because of lack of suckers on the course?

It`s not very realistic that each player will be hustling for the same amount of money as the player across town might be, remember the guy getting hustled has to agree to the betting as well.

How would the hustler explain the camera crew following them around?

Me thinks there might be more realistic options out there. image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • mds5062mds5062 Members Posts: 78 ✭✭
    I'd 100% watch it again
  • GautamaGautama Members Posts: 754 ✭✭
    I'm in if Selanee Henderson comes back, or better yet hosts.
    "I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom
  • shoot4parshoot4par Life's A Course 412ClubWRX Posts: 142 ClubWRX
    edited Jan 11, 2019 12:12pm #47
    BMC wrote:

And cut into "The Legend of Bagger Vance" reruns? No thank you. Do you think GC will every run that Bobby Jones movie?

Skip all the love scenes (minus the one in the dilapidated plantation where he asks if she took her clothes off for Chatanooga) and anytime Matt Damon swings a golf club. Pretty much show me just Will Smith talking and Hardy Greeves being a dumb kid. Certain it was mentioned but Blair O'Neal? image/air_kiss.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':air_kiss:' />
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Jones did it with corn whiskey. Hogan with cigarettes & Tiger with will.
    If you were wondering the secrets in the dirt.

WITB
    Driver: Callaway XR Pro 9* (N/S) Oban Kiyoshi Black 65g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Callaway Epic Subzero 9* (N/S) (TC) Kiyoshi White 65g 04 Kiyoshi White  (Iomic White .60)
    Fairway Wood: Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro Limited 16.5* Kiyoshi White 75g 04 (Iomic White .60)
    Hybrid: CB Pro U 19* Kuro Kage 90s. (Iomic White .60)
    Irons: Miura 1957 Baby Blades 4-PW KBS TOUR 120s Black standard loft / standard lie (Iomic White .60)
    Wedges: Vokey Wedgeworks 52*, 56*, 60* Soon to have KBS Matte Black 120s (Iomic White .60)
    Putter: Odyssey Metal X Milled #9

WITB
  • jjgottjjgott Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    Hawkeye77 wrote:

How people get so excited over the occasional breaking of glass . . . . . .

It's more exciting when the glass DOESN'T break...

[media=]
  • conorgolf22conorgolf22 Members Posts: 587 ✭✭

MtlJeff wrote:

I'm in if it's female and the intros inexplicably have them in bikinis even though that has nothing to do with golf

Haha. Remember Meghan Hardin?

https://www.youtube....h?v=zyU11xiSKoM

How could I forget???
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driver: Callaway Rogue 13.5* Aldila Rogue Elite Blue[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Fairway: Ping G400 17* Aldila 2KXV Orange[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Hybrid: Titleist 816H1 21* Aldila Tour Green[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Driving Iron: PXG 0311X 4 iron Steelfiber i95[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Irons: Mizuno 919 Forged 5-PW Steelfiber i95[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Wedges: Vokey SM6 52* New Level M-Type 58* and 62*[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Putter: Scotty Cameron X7M[/font]
    [font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]Ball: Titleist ProV1X[/font]
  • BeerPerHoleBeerPerHole Members Posts: 1,135 ✭✭
    I thought it was a pretty good show, too. I, like many, didn't care for the Top Golf show.
    Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
    Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
    Ping G400 5-wood
    Taylormade Spider blade
    Srixon Z Star
    IPA
  • iKOH423iKOH423 Members Posts: 105 ✭✭

I thought it was a pretty good show, too. I, like many, didn't care for the Top Golf show.

I agree, I thought Big Break was a decent show which I enjoyed watching. I wonder how they could bring it back and revive the series to where it seems more high stakes. Unless I am not remembering it correctly. A lot better than the Top Golf show which just got too stale for me in my opinion.
    Driver: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 10.5 Deg.
    Fairway Wood: Callaway Epic Sub Zero 15 Deg
    Hybrid: Callaway Epic 3 19 Deg.
    Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 4-AW
    Wedges: Callaway Mack Daddy Forged Wedges 56/60
    Putter: Scotty Cameron 18' Select Newport 2
  • Ping ZingsPing Zings Members Posts: 833 ✭✭
    I would watch it again.
  • j_gieslerj_giesler Members Posts: 15 ✭✭
    So much better than Shotmakers and any other reality golf show.

Maybe Trump can get in on it again, even hit flops over his wall!

btw, not poking fun, I’m a fan of Big Break and the POTUS
  • wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,707 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

Boy I sure hope so. I start to miss seeing that after 2-3 days without it.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• wmblake2000wmblake2000 Members Posts: 5,707 ✭✭
    The first one I watched (maybe 2nd or 3rd season) had two women who had an ongoing fight. I thought it was fascinating and disturbing. I was hooked. Then 2-glove had some time on the tour and that was awesome, and now finau. Gerina. Others.

So yeah it’d beat the pants off of the 432nd viewing of one of their 3 movies.
    Ping GMax 400 10.5
    Callawy Epic 5W
    Callaway X-hot 3,4 h
    Mizuno FliHi 5 iron
    Mizuno MP4 6-W
    Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
    Cameron Futura 5W

• TheShaunTheShaun Members Posts: 1,111 ✭✭
    "PULL THE TAPE TIGHT!" - Don Donatello
  • CircaflexCircaflex Well, I gotta go now. I’ve got a lotta bouncin’ to do! Members Posts: 736 ✭✭
    BMC wrote:

It was on last weekend
    #Ping #TaylorMade #Bettinardi #Snell #Arccos #MitholoG #SunFishKnit
    GHIN: 2719293

j0zhnl.png
  • GolfChannelGolfChannel Orlando, FloridaMembers Posts: 1,737 ✭✭
    Circaflex wrote:

BMC wrote:

It was on last weekend

The sarcasm was apparently missed.
    Driver: He who shall not be named...
    3 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    5 Wood: Callaway Rogue w/Project X Blue Evenflow 75
    Irons: Ping iBlade Nippon AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Wedges: Callaway MD3 50, 54, and Honma TW737 Forged 62
    Putter: Original Odyssey White Hot XG No. 7
    Ball: Srixon Z-Star 2018 (Yellow)
  • Bourni1Bourni1 Members Posts: 58
    I really enjoyed watching Big Break, and it has produced some talent. PGA tour winners such as Finau, Every, Wesley Bryan among others. Hope they bring it back, regardless of cost. They will get better ratings on this than the endless reruns of 3 golf movies.
  • justwellsyjustwellsy Members Posts: 972 ✭✭

I liked seeing how the big break contestants fared in their careers. Neat to see names like Richie Werenski pop up on a leaderboard from time to time.

I think people forget that Tony Finau was on Big Break.

It's sad to see they cancelled the show. I know they made a decision at one point to focus more on showing actual golf than creating reality series. Why? It's a no brainer for cost effectiveness. When you are bought by a much larger company (NBC) at some point they are going to want to see a return on investment. I'm sure they figured they could do reruns of old golf programming at far less of a cost and still get a similar number of viewers in those timeslots. It seems the only thing they play on Golf Channel outside of actual golf anymore is the Legend of Bagger Vance
    Taylormade M2 9.5 set to 7.5 (Matrix Ozik 70 X-Stiff)
    Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep 14.5 Deg X-stiff (Aldila Rogue Green)
    Mizuno MP-64 3-PW (DG X-100)
    Callaway MD2 50 deg
    Vokey SM4 54 Deg
    Callaway MD2 60 Deg
    Odyssey White Hot #7
    Ball: Apply for position
  • tphilptphilp Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I was at Barefoot this year and I was doing that shot through the ruins that they did on big break Myrtle. I loved this show on reality TV I would ever watch