Best Driver of 2019 | Full Article _HERE_ | Discussion Thread _HERE_

EPIC FLASH SUB ZERO DIAMOND HEADS???? (Pics added page 7)

Comments

• golf9596golf9596 Members Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Just got to play a round with my triple diamond. I'm not sure what people are hearing or seeing with increased spin or loudness. For me its great. I will need to decide on a shaft, working between a white board and an Orange Tensei. I would say go get fit and if its right for you, enjoy.

Driver..Ping G410 LST-PO-70S
    3 Wood TM M6 (15*)  Project X 75-S
    TM Stage 2 18.5* Speeder VC7-S
    Apex Forged...4-PW $-tapper-S
    Putter.....Scott Cameron Select 1.5 Squareback
    Mac Daddy 48*... PM..51* & 57*
    Titleist 4up Carry
    Pro V 1 (2017)
  • sbjinxsbjinx Orange CountyMembers Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@FairwayFred said:
    I have a 10.5* SZ and a 9* Triple Diamond and I hit them on basically the same trajectory. I spin the Triple D a hair more also.

Is the regular low launching or the TD really high launching compared to other 9* heads.

Callaway Epic TD - Project X Smoke
    TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

• FairwayFredFairwayFred Sponsors Posts: 4,106 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@sbjinx said:

@FairwayFred said:
    I have a 10.5* SZ and a 9* Triple Diamond and I hit them on basically the same trajectory. I spin the Triple D a hair more also.

Is the regular low launching or the TD really high launching compared to other 9* heads.

I'd say the regular is low launching. I usually play a 9* in most drivers.

FREE AGENT CLUB HO NO MO!
    Ari Techner
    National Custom Works nationalcustomworks.com
    [email protected]
    IG: @nationalcustom
    Twitter: @WorksNational
    (still a huge club HO)
  • ohiohunter2ohiohunter2 Members Posts: 53 ✭✭

@thepinkbomber said:
    Straight from Callaway...Just need to call them and talk to their technical reps...Flash, draw biased more upright, sub zero flatter lie small right bias and lower spin than flash, triple diamond most flat very right bias. They did say the higher toe in the triple diamond could help my miss of an occasional toe hook. They did say they would only recommend the triple diamond for someone that has tour like club head speed regardless of handicap.

@thepinkbomber said:
    Straight from Callaway...Just need to call them and talk to their technical reps...Flash, draw biased more upright, sub zero flatter lie small right bias and lower spin than flash, triple diamond most flat very right bias. They did say the higher toe in the triple diamond could help my miss of an occasional toe hook. They did say they would only recommend the triple diamond for someone that has tour like club head speed regardless of handicap.

I would disagree with the rep. I’d pick them solely on shot tendency and preferred ball flight. The tour guys are playing them because they want a little more spin and don’t want the big left miss.

• QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

interesting that no one can get to a consensus on this.

Driver: Callaway Epic SubZero 3D 10.5*, Fujikura Ventus 7X
    Fairway: Cobra F9 Tour, GD TOUR AD-DI 8X 
    3 iron Cobra King Utility
    4-PW cobra King pro CBs KBS $ taper 130g X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 50 , 55, 60
    PUTTER; Carbon Ringo welded long neck.
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • HidekiWoodsHidekiWoods Members Posts: 254 ✭✭✭✭

I just got a SZ head in and I will try to also get my buddies TD head and do a comparison.

Epic SZ
    Apex Hybrid
    Srixon Z965
    MD Wedges

Night and Day Proto
  • leftygolfer15leftygolfer15 Members Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Still waiting for them to make at least one loft available in lefty at retail. You guys have them on tour, it’s not like they don’t exist already. Come on!

• buckeyeflbuckeyefl Members Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 13, 2019 7:28pm #339

@QuigleyDU said:
    interesting that no one can get to a consensus on this.

Not really surprising as there are so many variables and we aren't talking about a bunch of tour players doing testing. Even if we were there are still a lot of variables. It's what makes buying clubs on someone else's experience a fools errand for MOST people.

Post edited by buckeyefl on
  • jcg132jcg132 PTPOTCW StamvegasMembers Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Keep giving the tour issue triple diamond a chance in the sim and on the course, but not seeing any real improvement over my old tour issue epic SZ “L stamp”. Probably going to keep old faithful in the bag for now. Really thought this or the F9 would kick it out.

Ping G410 Plus 9.5° - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 60 TX (44.75", Flat Setting, D4)
    Ping G410 16.5° - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75 04 (43", Tipped 0.5", Flat Setting, D4)
    Ping G410 18° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 8 S (40.25”, Tipped 0.5", Flat Setting, D4)
    PXG 0311 XF Gen2 4 -  Oban CT-100 S (1.0° Weak, D4)
    PXG 0311 P Gen2 5-7 - Oban CT-115 S (D4)
    PXG 0311 T Gen2 8-9 - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Strong, D4)
    PXG 0311 T Gen2 PW - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Strong, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 49.11°F - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey WedgeWorks 54.12°D - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 (2.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 59.07°M - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 (Smooth Grind Lines & Tour Grind, 2.0° Flat, D5)
    Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°

2019 Titleist Pro V1x
    Golf Pride MCC Plus4
    FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
    Sun Mountain C130S
    Clicgear Model 8.0

@jcg132 said:
    Keep giving the tour issue triple diamond a chance in the sim and on the course, but not seeing any real improvement over my old tour issue epic SZ “L stamp”. Probably going to keep old faithful in the bag for now. Really thought this or the F9 would kick it out.

That OG epic was a great club. The only real downside was that it was super muted and hard to tell where you hit it on the face. Other than that i don't think much could beat it.

• burns9304burns9304 Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

Just finished my third round with the Triple Diamond and I have to say I'm smitten. The flatter lie angle and fade bias have been a god-send and work perfectly for my slight toe miss. The louder sound makes it heal like you crush every single shot. I'm very happy I gave this head a try.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Graphite Design Tour IZ 95
    Callaway X Forged UT H 24* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 5-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS

@burns9304 said:
    Just finished my third round with the Triple Diamond and I have to say I'm smitten. The flatter lie angle and fade bias have been a god-send and work perfectly for my slight toe miss. The louder sound makes it heal like you crush every single shot. I'm very happy I gave this head a try.

when you say louder, do you mean louder than the standard subzero? or just louder in general? I love the sound of it as well, I thought the standard SZ was louder, which I actually liked as well.

• burns9304burns9304 Members Posts: 355 ✭✭✭✭

@QuigleyDU said:

@burns9304 said:

when you say louder, do you mean louder than the standard subzero? or just louder in general? I love the sound of it as well, I thought the standard SZ was louder, which I actually liked as well.

Just louder in general. It has much more more satisfying sound than the tour issue M3 I came from.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ Triple Diamond 9* Graphite Design Tour IZ 6
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Graphite Design Tour IZ 7
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Graphite Design Tour IZ 95
    Callaway X Forged UT H 24* Graphite Design Tour DI 95
    Callaway Apex Pro DOT 5-PW Oban CT-115 
    Titleist Vokey SM7 50*F, 54*M, 60*M Shimada Tour Wedge
    Bettinardi BB0 Flow DASS
    edited May 15, 2019 4:41pm #345

Here are my thoughts comparing the TD to the M5, but a quick backstory. After testing all the new drivers, I picked the M5 because I’ve played drivers for a long time and it was giving me the best numbers on the launch monitor - ie low spin and long. I did test the regular Epic Flash SZ but it wasn’t any better or worse than the M5, and again, I’ve never been a fan of Callaway drivers and I just liked how the M5 looked and performed.

And the M5 is a great driver and improvement over the 2016 M2, which I’ve played for the last 3 years. But on the course, the M5 is really low spin and I felt like I had to swing really hard to hit it on the sweet spot, and even then I had balls that would fall out of the air. So about a month ago, my buddy gets the SZ, I take a few swings and I like it. So I start looking and when I found a lightly used TD at the shop, figured why not.

So the comparison. M5 is 10.5* with KK DC and TD is 9* (+1*) with Project X smoke. I know it’s diff specs but here are my thoughts.

The TD looks great, and I think it looks better than the standard SZ. I actually went with the TD because it’s supposed to spin more than the standard but was really worried about it being fade bias. After a few range sessions and one round, I find it really straight and not fade bias at all. On my best swings, the M5 is probably longer but I get a lot more from the TD without having to swing really hard every time. And after comparing the sound of the two drivers, the TD isn’t that loud although the feel / sound of the M5 is hard to beat.

Maybe it’s the honeymoon but the TD is great and really glad I gave it a shot.

TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

@sbjinx said:

Here are my thoughts comparing the TD to the M5, but a quick backstory. After testing all the new drivers, I picked the M5 because I’ve played drivers for a long time and it was giving me the best numbers on the launch monitor - ie low spin and long. I did test the regular Epic Flash SZ but it wasn’t any better or worse than the M5, and again, I’ve never been a fan of Callaway drivers and I just liked how the M5 looked and performed.

And the M5 is a great driver and improvement over the 2016 M2, which I’ve played for the last 3 years. But on the course, the M5 is really low spin and I felt like I had to swing really hard to hit it on the sweet spot, and even then I had balls that would fall out of the air. So about a month ago, my buddy gets the SZ, I take a few swings and I like it. So I start looking and when I found a lightly used TD at the shop, figured why not.

So the comparison. M5 is 10.5* with KK DC and TD is 9* (+1*) with Project X smoke. I know it’s diff specs but here are my thoughts.

The TD looks great, and I think it looks better than the standard SZ. I actually went with the TD because it’s supposed to spin more than the standard but was really worried about it being fade bias. After a few range sessions and one round, I find it really straight and not fade bias at all. On my best swings, the M5 is probably longer but I get a lot more from the TD without having to swing really hard every time. And after comparing the sound of the two drivers, the TD isn’t that loud although the feel / sound of the M5 is hard to beat.

Your lack of fade bias could be because you have it in +1 and the weight in the furthest draw setting.....

@ohiohunter2 said:

@sbjinx said:

Your lack of fade bias could be because you have it in +1 and the weight in the furthest draw setting.....

True but since I don’t want it to be fade bias, it’s working out great. My M2 for example, even if i turned it up to the higher setting, i found it to be more fade bias than what I’m seeing with the TD.

TM M2 - 15*
    Callaway Apex - 19*
    Bridgestone J15 - 4-PW
    Titleist SM7 - 52* & 58*
    Spider X

@ohiohunter2 said:

@sbjinx said:

I went with the 10.5 so that I could go minus 1 degree and I have the weight all the way out on the toe. I wish that I had it set up with a left handed sleeve. Then you could go minus 2 degrees and the D or draw setting would actually be a fade setting. That would be awesome!

@sbjinx said:

@ohiohunter2 said:

@sbjinx said:

True but since I don’t want it to be fade bias, it’s working out great. My M2 for example, even if i turned it up to the higher setting, i found it to be more fade bias than what I’m seeing with the TD.

Not disagreeing with you, just don’t want others confused. This driver is more fade biased than standard flash subzero without a doubt.

• sodapop3sodapop3 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭
    edited May 22, 2019 12:44pm #350

@jedidan said:
    Would love a head without the line on the top. And if they really are varying levels of open-ness, ill need the triple diamond. but my only chance of getting a lefty one is if i steal it out of phils bag when he isnt looking /ninja.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':ninja:' />

all the TC heads have no line.

TC Epic Flash 9*  w/ Diamana BF 60 S
    Epic Flash SZ 5W set to 17* - AD IZ 6S
    2019 Big Berth 3H set to 17* - AD HB 65S
    Apex 20* & 23* - Atmos Blue 85HB-S
    2018 X-Forged 5-PW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 soft-stepped
    Mack Daddy 4 51-11S/ 57-9C/ 60-12X
    Toulon Las Vegas (at the moment, changes more frequently than underwear)
  • sodapop3sodapop3 Members Posts: 26 ✭✭

@ry1808 said:
    If you look at the confirming photo of the 3 star it has the standard Epic Flash SZ weight. If you look at the photo linked by RdS22 if has what appears to be an older Epic weight in the front...

I've tried the Epic Flash and it was good but span more than my Epic. I'd love to be able to put a heavier weight in the front but I don't want to increase the overall weight.

Did you have the heavy weight in the back? when i got my Flash SZ it came with 2 weights. I notice that in all the retail offerings on the flash they come with the heavy weight. It might be worth trying it with the lighter weight in the back. As you can see in the picture, the top head has the lighter weight.

TC Epic Flash 9*  w/ Diamana BF 60 S
    Epic Flash SZ 5W set to 17* - AD IZ 6S
    2019 Big Berth 3H set to 17* - AD HB 65S
    Apex 20* & 23* - Atmos Blue 85HB-S
    2018 X-Forged 5-PW - Aerotech Steelfiber i95 soft-stepped
    Mack Daddy 4 51-11S/ 57-9C/ 60-12X
    Toulon Las Vegas (at the moment, changes more frequently than underwear)
  • gioguy21gioguy21 NJMembers Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

anyone know where i could find a 2 diamond head?!?!

Epic Flash SZ / 9* (set D/S) / Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X tipped 1.50"
    Epic Flash SZ / 3+ (set -1/N) / HZRDUS Smoke Black 75g 6.5 tipped 2"
    Epic CF17 3i / Tensei PW Hybrid 100TX
    Apex MB Chrome / 4-PW / Modus 130 X
    MD4 Chrome / 52, 56, 60 / DG 115 S200 (for now)
    Piretti Tour 801R / 35.5"

• theadvocate_ivantheadvocate_ivan Members Posts: 426 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 26, 2019 12:53pm #353

Not quite sure if it has been posted before. What weight did your Epic Flash Sub Zero Triple Diamond had?

Edit: already found the answer. Apologies.

Post edited by theadvocate_ivan on
    Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero Triple Diamond Head 10.5* Tour AD GP 6S Tipped 1" 
    Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* Tour AD TP 7X
    Titleist 818 H2 19* Tour AD DI 85X
    Srixon Z945 4-PW Modus 105X
    Taylormade Tour Milled Grind 50, 54 and 60 degrees
    Bettinardi BB8 DASS RJB8158
  • J13J13 Dad golf Members Posts: 15,628 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

So far i'm loving my Triple Diamond and have it at -1D with weight to fade. With that said I have added around 8g of melt to mine and pushed it to the front and neutral. Spin is low with a mid flight. It's MUCH more mid trajectory whereas the standard EF SZ was very high launch for me. I'd also say it's spinning less for me than the standard.

Again keep in mind I hotmelted mine in my shop and I've done about 5 other guys TD head's who have the same feedback.

Callaway Epic Flash Triple Diamond 9* / Mitsubishi Tensei White 70TX
    Callaway EF 3+ w/ HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
    Srixon 745's 4-PW / Modus Tour 120 TX
    Callaway MD3 50, 54, 60 / Modus 125
    Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide Flow Neck 35.5" (counter weight removed)
    Srixon Zstar XV
    GolfWRX WITB Podcast - Irons reveal 11/14/18 http://www.golfwrx.c...utm_content=sub
    GolfWrx WITB Podcast 2017 : http://www.golfwrx.com/482668/tgtg-golfwrx-forum-member-j13-talks-witb-and-club-testing/
    WITB- http://www.golfwrx.c.../page__st__1590
  • 4rheel4rheel OC, CaliforniaMembers Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@J13 said:
    So far i'm loving my Triple Diamond and have it at -1D with weight to fade. With that said I have added around 8g of melt to mine and pushed it to the front and neutral. Spin is low with a mid flight. It's MUCH more mid trajectory whereas the standard EF SZ was very high launch for me. I'd also say it's spinning less for me than the standard.

Again keep in mind I hotmelted mine in my shop and I've done about 5 other guys TD head's who have the same feedback.

So when you say "to the front and neutral" are you talking between the jailbreal bars? I'm confused where the hotmelt should go without getting near the forward weight.

And is it okay for the hotmelt dry attached to the face?

• Kentsp1Kentsp1 Members Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else finding these heads to be on the lighter side or do I have a bad build? Headweight is coming in at 192 grams. Weighed the back and front weight separately and both came in at their quoted weights (12 & 4).

Callaway Epic SZ  triple diamond 9* rogue max 75 X
    Callaway Epic SZ 15* rogue max 85 X
    Mizuno mp18 flihi 3&4 / 5-w mp 18 mmc modus 120 x
    Mizuno s18 50, 55, 60 modus 120 x
    Scotty Cameron Phantom X 6 STR 34"
  • jcg132jcg132 PTPOTCW StamvegasMembers Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Kentsp1 said:
    Anyone else finding these heads to be on the lighter side or do I have a bad build? Headweight is coming in at 192 grams. Weighed the back and front weight separately and both came in at their quoted weights (12 & 4).

Yes - they are purposefully light so they can hot melt them

Ping G410 Plus 9.5° - Mitsubishi Chemical Tensei CK Pro White 60 TX (44.75", Flat Setting, D4)
    Ping G410 16.5° - Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75 04 (43", Tipped 0.5", Flat Setting, D4)
    Ping G410 18° - Fujikura Pro 2.0 Hybrid 8 S (40.25”, Tipped 0.5", Flat Setting, D4)
    PXG 0311 XF Gen2 4 -  Oban CT-100 S (1.0° Weak, D4)
    PXG 0311 P Gen2 5-7 - Oban CT-115 S (D4)
    PXG 0311 T Gen2 8-9 - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Strong, D4)
    PXG 0311 T Gen2 PW - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Strong, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 49.11°F - Oban CT-115 S (1.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey WedgeWorks 54.12°D - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 (2.0° Flat, D5)
    Vokey SM7 Raw 59.07°M - True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 (Smooth Grind Lines & Tour Grind, 2.0° Flat, D5)
    Scotty Cameron 009M Carbon - 34", 3.5°, 70°

2019 Titleist Pro V1x
    Golf Pride MCC Plus4
    FootJoy Pure Touch Limited
    Sun Mountain C130S
    Clicgear Model 8.0

Wow, what a fabulous driver! Adding hotmelt really made a world of a difference in both feel and performance. Had some of my longest drives over the weekend. Thank you to J13 for the additional info on hotmelting.

• desailledesaille Members Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

Two way to hotmelt the head pending where you want it
    Take the shaft out and access through the slot - easier for sole
    Take the bottom front weight out for easier crown placement

Ben Guinta (thetourvan) dropped hotmelt in the sole, neutral back. Towards the EP is on the sole

I'm confused why this driver isn't getting much buzz. I'm not a Cally fan by no means but this driver has been the longest and straightest driver for me this year. I have mine shafted with the Speeder 661 TR shaft which I know has something to do with it but what a great combo!

• DFS PFDDFS PFD Members Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@4rheel said:
    I'm confused why this driver isn't getting much buzz. I'm not a Cally fan by no means but this driver has been the longest and straightest driver for me this year. I have mine shafted with the Speeder 661 TR shaft which I know has something to do with it but what a great combo!

Absolutely love mine as well. No complaints.

Epic Flash SZ 9* TD  HZRDUS Smoke Hulk 6.5TX 60g 
    M2 Tour 15* Kuro Kage DC 70TX
    790 UDI Tensei Pro White 100TX
    4-PW Apex Pro 19 DG X7's
    50* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    55* MG Raw Tour issue S400
    60* Hi-Toe Tour Issue S400
    TOULON Garage Atlanta
    Kunar Valley CC

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji