G410 irons...took the leap

Comments

• SteelheadSteelhead Orlando, FloridaClubWRX Posts: 880 ✭✭✭✭✭

@oiler45 said:
    I did the exact same thing. Bought G700's at the end of last year knowing full well that the sound was different but I assumed I would get used to it. Well - after about 15 rounds and many range sessions I came to the conclusion that I can't get past the hollow sound from the G700's. I demoed the G410's and was not blown away - plus I despise colour in an iron - too much red. I then demoed the AP1's - checked all the right boxes and bought them. The G700's perform fantastic and the G410's feel and sound much better than the 700's but the AP1's (for me) were a better combination of the two.

Go ahead, make me miss my AP1s! :'( Hope the new T300s look better in person.

@Wooderson said:

@lawsonman said:
    I continue to be more impressed with the playability of these irons every week. Tonight I had a 1 over 37 with a lost ball which resulted in a 6 on a par 3 and I 3 putted a par 4 . I just don't think I can hit the ball any better than I have since I put these things in my bag.

I am right there with you. They have been a game changer for me. Probably the best golf purchase I have ever made. What's got me really excited is that I know I'm only going to get better with them as I keep them longer.

I am also loving the sound and feel also. Yes I love the sound and feel of a well struck blade, but these have an addicting explosive feel and solid sound.

I could not agree more. I love the sound and feel with consistency that makes me confident that I can pull off any shot. I’ve had every G iron and this is the overall best iteration IMHO.

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,715 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@lawsonman said:

@jol said:

@lawsonman said:

@jol said:
    Can anyone who has owned the older Ping G irons compare them to the new Ping G410?

I've played the G2's,G5's, G15's,G25's, G, and G400's. I still own a set of G25's. The biggest difference as far as I'm concerned with the 410's are the way they look at address. They look very close to a players iron but with SGI forgiveness. The 410's are not a soft feeling iron but feel very solid. When you flush a iron shot with the 410's there is no doubt in your mind what kind of a shot it's going to be. Guess you could say that with most irons. They make a little louder sound with harder balls like the ProV1X . The G's, G400's, and G410's all feel different than the older G series because of the Eye Cor technology.

There have been some negative comments about the sound of the G410. How would you describe the difference in sound between the G and G410 if any? Thx

No different. Same faces.

The 410 has a larger badge that kills more of the tink sound than the G in my experience.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • lawsonmanlawsonman Freeport, IllinoisMembers Posts: 5,534 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Nessism said:

@lawsonman said:

@jol said:

@lawsonman said:

@jol said:
    Can anyone who has owned the older Ping G irons compare them to the new Ping G410?

I've played the G2's,G5's, G15's,G25's, G, and G400's. I still own a set of G25's. The biggest difference as far as I'm concerned with the 410's are the way they look at address. They look very close to a players iron but with SGI forgiveness. The 410's are not a soft feeling iron but feel very solid. When you flush a iron shot with the 410's there is no doubt in your mind what kind of a shot it's going to be. Guess you could say that with most irons. They make a little louder sound with harder balls like the ProV1X . The G's, G400's, and G410's all feel different than the older G series because of the Eye Cor technology.

There have been some negative comments about the sound of the G410. How would you describe the difference in sound between the G and G410 if any? Thx

No different. Same faces.

The 410 has a larger badge that kills more of the tink sound than the G in my experience.

I guess I don't remember that much about the G's.

Welcome to where dumb opinions are better than no opinion. :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping Anser 17,20,23, hybrid
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Maverick22Maverick22 Members Posts: 174 ✭✭✭

Finally had a chance over the past few days to test these irons with a variety of shafts. Best feel and results for me was the DG 120 S300 shafts. Just need to figure out exact specs but will be ordering a set. Very excited as my iron play has been poor this year

• matchavezmatchavez Aotearoa New ZealandUnregistered Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    I've had these for about 3 months now and while they are forgiving and all. The sound is really starting to turn me off. A very loud clack even on solidly struck shots.
    I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with that. Probably not past when the T200 and T300 are released.

What kind of ball are you using? They will sound much better with a softish ball.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm still loving my 410's too. Fantastic irons.

ProVX and I know you might say that's the reason they sound so bad. Well as I told someone else if that's the case I'll sell the irons before I switch balls. The performance of the PV1X is unequaled in my experience. There are just as good of irons out there in the same category that will sound much better. Will be demoing the T200 and T300 with them soon and probably the Hot Metal Pros.
    I played the 900 HM two years ago with the VX and no issue on sound.

Try one Bridgestone BX before you sell.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• Carolina Golfer 2Carolina Golfer 2 Members Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@matchavez said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    I've had these for about 3 months now and while they are forgiving and all. The sound is really starting to turn me off. A very loud clack even on solidly struck shots.
    I'm not sure how much longer I can deal with that. Probably not past when the T200 and T300 are released.

What kind of ball are you using? They will sound much better with a softish ball.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I'm still loving my 410's too. Fantastic irons.

ProVX and I know you might say that's the reason they sound so bad. Well as I told someone else if that's the case I'll sell the irons before I switch balls. The performance of the PV1X is unequaled in my experience. There are just as good of irons out there in the same category that will sound much better. Will be demoing the T200 and T300 with them soon and probably the Hot Metal Pros.
    I played the 900 HM two years ago with the VX and no issue on sound.

Try one Bridgestone BX before you sell.

I have some of the Tour B X. I honestly can't recall one way or the other how they sounded with it.
    Well they havent been sold ....yet. But some 919Forged were ordered today 😜

PING G410+ 10.5 CK Tensi Orange 65g
    PING G410 FW SFT 3, 7 and  G410 9 
    PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING G410 7-P KBS Tour 105 
    PING Glide 2.0  50, 54, 58
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• danman44danman44 chinaMembers Posts: 172 ✭✭✭

I love my irons.. g410s are long but predictable,so far ive only hit one head scratcher 6iron from 180 that airmailed the green,havent hit any other scorchers or wtf shorts .. they dont curve much though which could be an issue for better players on tight courses

• beluga99beluga99 If Matrix was here, he'd laugh too... Members Posts: 929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 3, 2019 9:04pm #609

I noticed the swing weights on the standard 5 iron for example at 38.25 inches are D0. Are people with non standard builds requesting a specific SW? I prefer D3. With no CTP would Ping use the toe and hosel weights to increase SW? @MtlJeff do you know what your irons came out at with S300s?

G400
    917 F2
    Anser 18 + 23
    Fli-Hi
    919T 6-P
    SM7 52F 56F 60D
    Odyssey
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,655 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@beluga99 said:
    I noticed the swing weights on the standard 5 iron for example at 38.25 inches are D0. Are people with non standard builds requesting a specific SW? I prefer D3. With no CTP would Ping use the toe and hosel weights to increase SW? @MtlJeff do you know what your irons came out at with S300s?

Sorry dude, I dont know the exact swingweights

Ping G400 Max 10 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/S300
    Odyssey O-works Red Tank #7
  • matchavezmatchavez Aotearoa New ZealandUnregistered Posts: 4,286 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

With no CTP would Ping use the toe and hosel weights to increase SW?

Yes. That is exactly what they do.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

• gregh729gregh729 #TheWRX 2016 Members Posts: 2,999 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I have some of the Tour B X. I honestly can't recall one way or the other how they sounded with it.

SMH! Get a hole in one and change irons immediately. I guess you figured the magic is used up B)

@gregh729 said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

SMH! Get a hole in one and change irons immediately. I guess you figured the magic is used up B)

Well to be fair the Hole in One wasn't with an iron. It was the 6 hybrid, which isn't going anywhere 😎

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

• RitocopRitocop MichiganMembers Posts: 129 ✭✭✭

Between the G400/G410 I have to say they are the best iron I've had for fitting mid-high HC

Ping G410 Plus 9 
    Ping G410 3&5
    Ping G410 4/5 
    I500 6-UW
    Glide 2.0 54/58
    Ping Vault 2.0 Dale
    Chrome Soft
  • 7044570445 Members Posts: 126 ✭✭✭

So 400 or 410 better for mid handicap or slightly higher handicap

@70445 said:

Both are great. I like the looks of the 410's better.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black
  • Little NedLittle Ned Members Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Aug 11, 2019 2:51am #617

:( > @lawsonman said:

@70445 said:

Definitely agree. Both are great but I think the 410’s are much better looking (except for the red accent)

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Mizuno 919 Hot Metal 5-GW
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne

@Little Ned said:

@70445 said:

Definitely agree. Both are great but I think the 410’s are much better looking (except for the red accent)

The red is the best part! :)

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

@lawsonman said:

@Little Ned said:

@70445 said:

The red is the best part! :)

Not for Clemson fans :(

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne
    edited Aug 11, 2019 5:42pm #620

I found the G410 irons to be the best looking G at address in a long time. I know it's mostly small changes but to take out some of the offset and also shorten the blade length....i had to get them. I would always regret it if i didn't

Because you know the next gen they will go back to what it was. Kinda like the I10 irons, they made them smaller and changed it back pretty much immediately. Every now and then you just have to make a switch to say you did something, and then you go back and they are classically shaped again with longer blade lengths for maximum forgiveness haha

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300
    edited Aug 11, 2019 6:49pm #621

Post #256 in this thread shows how the 410 blade length compares to that of the G25. Summary: the long irons are the same and then the 410's get progressively smaller going down to the wedges, however, even at its most extreme it's just a very minor difference (maybe 3mm or so). Don't mean to po fo the clubs, the 410's are awesome. I'm still thrilled with mine.

@Nessism said:
    Post #256 in this thread shows how the 410 blade length compares to that of the G25. Summary: the long irons are the same and then the 410's get progressively smaller going down to the wedges, however, even at its most extreme it's just a very minor difference (maybe 3mm or so).

Visually, though, the 410 seems much smaller.

Ping G400 Max 10.5*
    Cobra F8 5W, 7W
    Cobra F8 4H
    Callaway MD3 54*
    Callaway MD PM 58*
    Ping Sigma G Tyne

@Little Ned said:

@Nessism said:
    Post #256 in this thread shows how the 410 blade length compares to that of the G25. Summary: the long irons are the same and then the 410's get progressively smaller going down to the wedges, however, even at its most extreme it's just a very minor difference (maybe 3mm or so).

Visually, though, the 410 seems much smaller.

Whatever they did I agree, when I picked them up the first time it was noticeable I felt. Little angles or differences, whatever they did it definitely looks different

Ping G410 4-SW w/S300

Well I ended my time with them and hits set of 919 Forged. You may recall my big issue was the sound of the irons being a horrible clack.
    Some said it was due to the firmness of the ProVX I am playing. I didn't buy that.
    First round today with the 919's proved it was defintely the irons. Every iron shot sounded and felt so good.
    I know I am the outlier in not liking these, but I just never fell in love with them.

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:
    Well I ended my time with them and hits set of 919 Forged. You may recall my big issue was the sound of the irons being a horrible clack.
    Some said it was due to the firmness of the ProVX I am playing. I didn't buy that.
    First round today with the 919's proved it was defintely the irons. Every iron shot sounded and felt so good.
    I know I am the outlier in not liking these, but I just never fell in love with them.

I never said the noise was because of the ball. I said that the sound would be much quieter with a softer ball (like the regular Prov1.)

919 Forged are in a completely different iron category. Similar to the i-series Ping's, not the G's. To each their own though. Hope you hit them well.

edited Aug 11, 2019 11:37pm #626

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I never said the noise was because of the ball. I said that the sound would be much quieter with a softer ball (like the regular Prov1.)

919 Forged are in a completely different iron category. Similar to the i-series Ping's, not the G's. To each their own though. Hope you hit them well.

Sorry Nessim didn't mean to infer you. But I believe there was a comment or two that it was the ball. Not trying to point anyone out. Just that I knew it was the iron based on playing the VX with other irons previously
    And no doubt two almost polar opposite category of irons.

And yes I agree they most likely would have been a bit quieter with the V. But I am very comfortable with the X and know what to expect out of it.

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

And yes I agree they most likely would have been a bit quieter with the V. But I am very comfortable with the X and know what to expect out of it.

Well, I'm the polar opposite of you; I've got a whole cabinet full of different tour grade urethane balls and play them all interchangeably. You must be a much better player than I am because my misses lead to 10x more variation than the difference between different balls.

edited Aug 12, 2019 3:36am #628

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

Well, I'm the polar opposite of you; I've got a whole cabinet full of different tour grade urethane balls and play them all interchangeably. You must be a much better player than I am because my misses lead to 10x more variation than the difference between different balls.

No I'm certainly not a better player and have nowhwrw near your knowledge. Perhaps it's just me being a mental midget letting sound bother me.
    Which is odd, as I have had a few PING drivers that were notoriously loud by all accounts. But yet, I looked past that in leiu of the results. But just couldn't do it with these irons. Obviously I was the exception here.
    It's a strange game this golf!

And I get what you're saying about the balls. Its just the one piece if equipment I don't like to waiver on.

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

I was the one that thought a different ball might do the trick for you because I was in the same position as you a while back. I was shooting the lowest scores I had shot (still am) in years but I hated the hardness sound I was getting. For me finding a softer ball that still performed like I wanted it to made all the difference in the world so I thought maybe they would do the same for you. Good luck with your new sticks.

Ping G400 9°
    Ping G410 6-UW
    Ping Glide 54,58ES
    Scotty Cameron Newport 3
    Ping DLX Bag

Snell MTB Black

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

No I'm certainly not a better player and have nowhwrw near your knowledge. Perhaps it's just me being a mental midget letting sound bother me.
    Which is odd, as I have had a few PING drivers that were notoriously loud by all accounts. But yet, I looked past that in leiu of the results. But just couldn't do it with these irons. Obviously I was the exception here.

And I get what you're saying about the balls. Its just the one piece if equipment I don't like to waiver on.

I can appreciate not liking the sound of certain irons (or drivers.) I sold a really beautiful set of Yonex irons because the sound was so tinny, and a friend has a Ping G driver that sounds like a coffee getting struck with a hammer at impact.
    If those Mizuno Forged don't work out consider the Hot Metal's. The HM's sound better than the 410 and are really nice sticks.

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

@Nessism said:

@Carolina Golfer 2 said:

I can appreciate not liking the sound of certain irons (or drivers.) I sold a really beautiful set of Yonex irons because the sound was so tinny, and a friend has a Ping G driver that sounds like a coffee getting struck with a hammer at impact.
    If those Mizuno Forged don't work out consider the Hot Metal's. The HM's sound better than the 410 and are really nice sticks.

I was really torn between the Hot Metal and these. Both are great clubs. I had the 900 Hot Metals for a review a couple years ago and enjoyed them quite a bit.
    I will be picking up one of the new Titleist series next month to have a 2nd set---isnt that what all good WRX'ers do 😎----mot likely the T300 but will be going to a Titleist event where I get to try both those and the T200. Will be demoing with ProV and VX so will get a true since of how they sound with that ball

PING G410 Hybrid 5, 6
    PING Tyne 4 35"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file