WRX Spotted: TaylorMade "Original One" Mini Driver

WRX_Spotlight ·  
WRX_SpotlightWRX_Spotlight  42WRX Points: 14Members Posts: 42 Bunkers

It's been said before -- what's old is new again, and in the case of what just popped up on the USGA Conforming List, it appears the new "Original One" from TaylorMade could be 40 years in the making.

Although we have no official word from TaylorMade on any of the specifics of "Original One" yet, there sure are a lot of conclusions we could draw from the standard single black and white image that accompanies a new inclusion on the conforming list.

Read the full main page article.

Posted:

Comments

• 03trdblack03trdblack Wake Forest, NC 2069WRX Points: 306Handicap: 1.0ClubWRX Posts: 2,069 ClubWRX

I like the idea of the mini drivers but just don't have a place in the bag for one. It would be nice if we could have 15 clubs in order to throw it in from time to time.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30295WRX Points: 6,666Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,295 Titanium Tees

This should be the max size for pros and elite ams when they bifurcate.

Posted:
    TM SIM max 10.8 Fuji Ventus red 6x 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3- PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged  54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 1.5 009. Sound slot,  tungsten weights. 

• BearQBearQ  3667WRX Points: 851Members Posts: 3,667 Titanium Tees

On -, @bladehunter said:

How many cc ya think it is BH or do you have info on it. Looks sub 300 to my eye...small. I always thought 400cc was a great max cap. I played a 905T that was a size that worked and didn’t look huge. Beautiful headshape. I also enjoyed my r9 tp & 910d3. Haven’t liked many drivers visually since.

Posted:

• BALBAL  563WRX Points: 77Members Posts: 563 Golden Tee

Got to hit it at a demo day saturday. Looked good, all black with a Diamana shaft. only took a few swings off the ground. Very strong, low ball flight but very solid. Didn't hit it off a tee. Don't really see where it fits in anyone's bag day in/day out though. I heard some say that ball speed were comparable to their current epic flash driver.

Posted:
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolina 30295WRX Points: 6,666Handicap: NONEMembers Posts: 30,295 Titanium Tees

I think it’s 260cc.

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx  4649WRX Points: 247Members Posts: 4,649 Titanium Tees

I agree with the maximum limit being 400cc.
    ...Though I love my 425 TP.

Posted:
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Advertisement
  • hayzoooshayzooos Madison, WI 6778WRX Points: 170Handicap: 4 kidsMembers Posts: 6,778 Titanium Tees

On -, @BAL said:

Got to hit it at a demo day saturday. Looked good, all black with a Diamana shaft. only took a few swings off the ground. Very strong, low ball flight but very solid. Didn't hit it off a tee. Don't really see where it fits in anyone's bag day in/day out though. I heard some say that ball speed were comparable to their current epic flash driver.

Agree they don't really fit into anyone's bag 100% of the time. I play a short driver as it is (44.0-44.5") and have messed around with the Callaway 2Deep from time to time. I just put it back in my bag to spruce up the bag a bit during the early part of our season. I personally think they do great for the senior players who happen to try one and realize they hit it just as far (if not further) than their current driver because they can't get the same benefit out of a driver anymore lacking speed. I just played in a member/guest with my father-in-law down in Naples where the majority of the population are retired, and I probably saw at least half a dozen of various mini drivers in their bags. I couldn't believe it until I saw how well they were all hitting them.

Posted:
    Callaway Razr Hawk Tour Xphlexxx Agera
    TM M5 15* w/ UST Proforce V2
    TM P790 2 iron KBS Tour V
    Mizuno 900 Forged Nippon Modus3 120
    Vokey SM7 50F/54S/58M AMT White S400
    Odyssey MXM #1W
    WITB Link
  • NicodimasNicodimas  58WRX Points: 33Members Posts: 58 Bunkers

Well I’m pysched , these fit my swing much better than the 460cc drivers. Pysched as hopefully it’s jam packed with all 2019 tech. Day one buy

Posted:

On -, @HipCheck said:

On our podcast,
    On -, @knudson81 and I talked about the couple of tour issue SLDR mini driver heads I "found" in the basement. Bought them on closeout a few years back and never shafted them up. I can't wait to try this. I still carry a 10.5* in the bag today. It's at 43" and is ridiculously long and straight for what it is. Pound for pound it's better than my driver, because it's almost as long, and much straighter.

Never fooled around with a 43" 460cc driver though, so I can't be 100% sure it's not the length of the club rather than the head itself, but I had a 12* I loved back in the day too.

Stoked to see this is an upcoming release.

Ugh. That 10.5 head is rarer than hens teeth today. I cracked 2 and gave up finding another one.

Posted:
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 

• HipCheckHipCheck Twitter @robmillertime The Right Coast 6306WRX Points: 160Marshals Posts: 6,306 Marshals

On -, @bladehunter said:

Ugh. That 10.5 head is rarer than hens teeth today. I cracked 2 and gave up finding another one.

I love it. Can 't get it out of the bag. Every time I try, it becomes pointless. I can't hit a 3 wood off the deck with any consistency so I carry a 4 or 5. Fits perfectly.

Now the AeroBurner minis...another story. Could not have been worse for me, but my expectations were sky high. Unfortunately so were my drives.

Posted:
    Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
     Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

Advertisement
  • jadams13jadams13 Poulsbo, WA 52WRX Points: 37Handicap: 13Members Posts: 52 Bunkers

I just hope it's in the same vein as the SLDR and not another Aero as well.

Posted:
  • GehlyGehly  2030WRX Points: 152ClubWRX Posts: 2,030 ClubWRX

the AeroBurner TP heads were great though...much better than the std. AB heads
    just hated the white...so I had gamer sent off to Continental and done in flat black

Posted:
  • timothyjames333timothyjames333 TinkerHatHead Boston, MA 153WRX Points: 101Handicap: 3Members Posts: 153 Fairways

On -, @Gehly said:

the AeroBurner TP heads were great though...much better than the std. AB heads
    just hated the white...so I had gamer sent off to Continental and done in flat black

I had a 14* AB that I had painted black and it was a beast of a 3 wood replacement off the tee, could never manage much more than a screaming cut off the deck tho!

Posted:
    Tinker Hathead
    Taylormade M1 2017 9.5 Project X Hzrdus Yellow 65 6.5 Lamkin UTx Calla. AG
    Cobra F8+ 3-4 (set at 14.5*) Project X Hzrdus Red 75 6.5 Lamkin UTx Black
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 3 iron Project X PXi 6.5 Lamkin UTx Red
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 iron KBS C-taper Lite 115x Lamkin UTx Red 
    Nike Vapor Fly Pro 5-P KBS C-taper  130X Lamkin UTx Red
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 50.12F bent to 49.11 True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx X100 w/ UTx
    Titleist Vokey SM6 Jet Black 54.14F, 58.12K True Temper Dynamic Gold Tour Issue Black Onyx S400 w/ UTx
    PING Scottsdale TR Senita B Counterbalanced 38" Winn AVS Midsize 17"
    Ping 4 Series "Kittansett Club" Logo
    Vice Pro Plus "Glenna Kohl Fund for Hope" Logo
  • gvogelgvogel  8110WRX Points: 1,090Members Posts: 8,110 Titanium Tees

On -, @bladehunter said:

+1

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • thigosthigos El Paso, TX 281WRX Points: 99Handicap: 3.5ClubWRX Posts: 281 ClubWRX

looks like the weight is split like in the m4 fw

Posted:
    G400 Max 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x
    M6 tour issue 15* - Ventus Blue 7x
    F6 Baffler 19*- HZRDUS Red 6.0
    MP20 HMB 4i - LZ 6.0
    MP20 MMC (5-P) LZ 6.0
    Mizuno S18 - 52 & 58
    Vokey SM6 - 62* M
    StrokeLab Double Wide F - 35"
    Srixon Z Star XV

Advertisement
  • LemondeLemonde  793WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 793 Golden Tee

Bobcat! You in for one?

Posted:
    Driver On Order - Callaway GBB Epic SZ 440 9 Tour Issue - shaft TBD - HZRDUS Red 6.5 62g
    Fairway - Ping G410 14.5 Evenflow Black 85 6.5 
    Hybrid - Mizuno JPX Fli-Hi 19 HZRDUS Black 85 6.5
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Nippon Modus Pro 120X
    Wedge Pondering - Hi Toe Bigfoot 60 Indi ATK 50 & 58
    Wedge - Mizuno JDM MP R5 L 50 & 58
    Putter - Rife Phenom.Z 34”
  • Millhill88Millhill88  544WRX Points: 114Members Posts: 544 Golden Tee

I hit my 3 wood 90% of the time off the tee. Driver is only for looong par 4's or the par 5's i'm going for in two. And I only hit about half my fairways with the driver. 3 wood is center cut every time.

I would absolutely bag a Mini if it gave me an additional 15-20 yards off the tee compared to my 3 wood, and be as straight as my 3 wood. Also don't care what the perception would be if the Mini was my permanent driver. I once got my a$$ kicked by a guy that used a Chipper on almost every hole and shot par.

Posted:
    Driver: Srixon 785
    FW: Titleist TS2
    Hybrid: Srixon H65
    Utility: Srixon U85
    Irons: Titleist T200, 5-AW
    Wedges: Titleist SM7 @ 54 & 58
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2
  • noodle3872noodle3872 Chilliwack B.C. Canada 3158WRX Points: 543Handicap: 8.3Members Posts: 3,158 Titanium Tees

On -, @BAL said:

“To their current Epic driver”? TM makes the M series not Epic. You sure you hit this club?

Posted:

Callaway Mavrik 9° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik SZ 10.5° driver Diamana ZF 50 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 15° fairway wood Diamana ZF 60 S Flex

Callaway Mavrik 20° hybrid MMT 90 S Flex

Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-PW Modus3 Tour 105 S flex

Mizuno S18 Gunmetal Wedges 50-07, 54-12, 58-12 and 62-08 Modus3 115 Wedge

Odyssey Stroke Lab Ten S

Callaway Chrome Soft X 

• b.heltsb.helts  3143WRX Points: 600Members Posts: 3,143 Titanium Tees

On -, @noodle3872 said:

On -, @BAL said:

“To their current Epic driver”? TM makes the M series not Epic. You sure you hit this club?

He is saying the ball speed of the TM was comparable with the epic flash of the person who told him the story.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • chris975dchris975d Georgia 2033WRX Points: 240ClubWRX Posts: 2,033 ClubWRX

I posted in the other thread on this, but the Original One is a 260cc head playing at 43.75”. Head is carbon fiber (crown) and gloss black (where M6 is gray). Absolutely gorgeous head at address. Shaft is a new all black Diamana that apparently in testing most players are fitting into. Launches in May I believe. I will have one. It looks so good...thinking of having Continental doing my M5 and M6s in the same paint configuration.

Posted:
    TaylorMade 9* M5 w/GD AD-IZ 6
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Srixon 5-PW, AW Z585 w/Project X LZ 6.0
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • Pepe8714Pepe8714 CA 193WRX Points: 103Members Posts: 193 Fairways

On -, @chris975d said:

I posted in the other thread on this, but the Original One is a 260cc head playing at 43.75”. Head is carbon fiber (crown) and gloss black (where M6 is gray). Absolutely gorgeous head at address. Shaft is a new all black Diamana that apparently in testing most players are fitting into. Launches in May I believe. I will have one. It looks so good...thinking of having Continental doing my M5 and M6s in the same paint configuration.

So to clarify, this is definitely more of an actual driver, then some hybrid 'large 3 wood'? If so, i'm very excited. I have been waiting for a small head driver with modern tech for years.

Posted:

On -, @Pepe8714 said:

On -, @chris975d said:

So to clarify, this is definitely more of an actual driver, then some hybrid 'large 3 wood'? If so, i'm very excited. I have been waiting for a small head driver with modern tech for years.

I’d consider it a mini driver. Just like they had with the SLDR mini. It’s filling that role in the lineup.

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • craz-ecraz-e  4303WRX Points: 402Handicap: 3Members Posts: 4,303 Titanium Tees

Never had one but I could see how someone could benefit from one of these.

Posted:
    Driver = Ping G410 Plus even flow black 6.0
    4 wood = Titleist TS2 Even flow white 6.0
    3 iron = Titleist U500 Hzrdus smoke 6.0
    Irons = Titleist 718 CB/MB Project X LZ 6.0
    Wedges = Titleist Vokey SM6 52*, 56*
                  = Ping Glide 3.0 eye 2 60* 
    Putter = Wilson Staff 8882
    Ball = Titleist AVX
  • jll62jll62 Minneapolis 2361WRX Points: 615Handicap: +2.4ClubWRX Posts: 2,361 ClubWRX

On -, @chris975d said:

Nit-picking a little here, but I saw 275cc.

Posted:
    TaylorMade SIM 8.0, Diamana Kai'li 60S, 44.75"
    TaylorMade M5 Rocket 3, Tensei Blue X, 42.5"
    TaylorMade P-790 UDI 2, Aerotech SteelFiber i95 S
    TaylorMade P750 3-6, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade P7TW 7-PW, KBS C-Taper S+ (soft-stepped 1x)
    TaylorMade MG2 52, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Hi-Toe 58, DG S400 Tour Issue
    TaylorMade Tour Proto milled Juno, 34"
    TaylorMade TP5

jll62's WITB

Advertisement
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro AL 3450WRX Points: 374Handicap: +1ClubWRX Posts: 3,450 ClubWRX

I see absolutely zero uses for this in my bag.

Posted:
    Taylormade m1 2017 Atmos Black TS
    Taylormade m6 fairway Atmos
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid 
    Mizuno Hot Metal Pro 4-pw
    Vokey SM7 52/58 wedges 
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m

On -, @jll62 said:

On -, @chris975d said:

Nit-picking a little here, but I saw 275cc.

It's very possible my rep was quoting the old SLDR Mini value by mistake. Either way, I will have one! It looked great!

Posted:
    TaylorMade M5 3-wood
    TaylorMade M5 5-wood
    Srixon H85 4
    Cleveland RTX4 54*, 58*
  • GolfingfanaticGolfingfanatic  3541WRX Points: 504Handicap: 3.0Members Posts: 3,541 Titanium Tees

Is the adapter the same as in the recent drivers/fairways?
    I've got an AD-DI 9X which could be perfect for this club.

Posted:
    Callaway Mavrik 10.5° w/ Aldila Rogue White 70 130MSI X
    TaylorMade M2 DF 16.5° w/ Mitsu Diamana W 80X
    Cobra F9 Speedback 4 iron w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ Hybrid 95X
    Yonex Ezone CB-301 4-PW w/ Nippon Modus 125X
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 50 S-Grind
    Callaway Mack Daddy 4 Raw 56 X-Grind
    Vokey Low Bounce K-Grind 60
    TaylorMade Spider Mini Copper

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.