P7TW 4-P X100
    TP EF 52° S400
    Hi Toe 56° X100
    Vokey K 60/06 Hi Rev 2.0
    Piretti Cortino- 36” 
    V1x / BX

• Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 8:56pm #33

At your age, anything better than bogey golf within your first year would be surprising, so I'd set that as a semi-realistic goal

• NessismNessism To measure is to know... Members Posts: 18,720 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Playing 2x/month and range practicing 2x/week, I'd say breaking 90 on a course with a rating of 120 or so would be "surprising" and glorious. Good luck with your journey. :)

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver 60S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 5 wood w/Aldila Rogue Black 70S
    Cobra (Lexi blue) F7 Hybrid w/Aldila Kuro Kage 80S
    Ping G410 irons w/Recoil 95S
    Ping Glide 50/55/60 wedges w/Recoil 110S
    Ping Anser/Arna putter - the "real deal!"
  • TIM929TIM929 Los AngelesMembers Posts: 798 ✭✭✭✭✭

If this is your first year out Pastor I wouldn't chase a bogey handicap, it might take a lot of fun out.

Especially if you are not taking any real lessons (an instructor can tell you a fix in 10 mins which might take you 10 years to find).

I would set goals of breaking 100, 95, 90, 85, 80 and forget the time limit.

in 1 year, playing 2 times a month with no instruction and only youtube/ golfwrx forums... 95 would be pretty awesome.

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

This guy comes here for some reasonable expectations, even if it wasn't phrased that way, and in typical wrx fashion we have to hear about how everyone was scratch in 3 weeks, how great everyone was at baseball and hockey and whatnot, and how little effort it took because it's so God given as to be Calvinist.
    Cue the pushback about how if someone is irritated or doesn't believe that you'd be outdriving champ bailey if only you'd started at age 5 instead of 15, then that person must be a hater or no-talent hacker, who couldn't possibly understand how tough it is to not be taken seriously after such deep humblebragging.

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • Krt22Krt22 East BayMembers Posts: 7,398 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:
    This guy comes here for some reasonable expectations, even if it wasn't phrased that way, and in typical wrx fashion we have to hear about how everyone was scratch in 3 weeks, how great everyone was at baseball and hockey and whatnot, and how little effort it took because it's so God given as to be Calvinist.
    Cue the pushback about how if someone is irritated or doesn't believe that you'd be outdriving champ bailey if only you'd started at age 5 instead of 15, then that person must be a hater or no-talent hacker, who couldn't possibly understand how tough it is to not be taken seriously after such deep humblebragging.

• MadGolfer76MadGolfer76 Admiration is the state furthest from understanding. Members Posts: 20,083 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

I stopped being surprised by things back in about '98. Skepticism is another matter...

Titleist 915D3 9.5
    Titleist 917Fd @ 14.25
    Mizuno Clk 19, 22
    Titleist 716mb 4-Pw
    Vokey SM7 52, 58
    Bettinardi Studio Stock 8
    Titleist ProV1

• deadsolid...shankdeadsolid...shank ClubWRX Posts: 14,768 ClubWRX

I’ll be different. I was a good athlete, small college recruited in three sports (although one of them wasn’t much of a recruitment). Always one of the league leaders in home runs in softball in college and shortly after. I played semi regularly in college and for the next five years. Started playing much more often for probably the next five, but was just so-so. It was probably around 2000 (more than 10years years after graduating college), maybe even later than that that I was finally able to break into single digits. I really don’t remeber why it took so long or what finally was the key to reaching there, I just know it took quite a while for me.

Titleist 910 8.5
    Titleist 910 15*
    Titleist 910H 17*
    2-6 Mizuno MP-60, 7-PW MP-67
    SC GoLo
    Vokey SM5 52,58,62
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FLMembers Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@cardoustie said:
    Wasn't Larry Nelson a +3 within 1 year of staring golf in his late 20's

Larry Nelson was definitely very late to the game, and obviously a natural. I think he first played golf in his early twenties and was shooting par or better within a year. Again, I'm pretty sure he was a good athlete and had a baseball background plus some other sports. Sometimes talent isn't overrated...

USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • MalvernMalvern Members Posts: 465 ✭✭✭✭

The OP is 48, I have been hanging around golf clubs all my life, only a handful of people I know who started in their 30s/40s managed to play single figure golf, one was a tennis pro.
    I don't know how good you will be, suspect you may be able to shoot 85-90 on a good day however why not just enjoy yourself and don't be too focussed on scoring outcomes.

• rafalrafal Members Posts: 5,867 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Apr 22, 2019 11:16pm #42

You can get down to single digits starting at 48 but golf has to become your major passion for that to happen.

TM M4 10.5* Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S
    TM M4 Rescue 3
    TM R15 Rescue 5 PXi 5.5
    Titleist AP2 5-P PXi 5.5
    PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
    TM DLL+ 34.5"
  • bladehunterbladehunter Today was a good day... south carolinaMembers Posts: 27,555 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

@Justsomeguy said:

? Bad day at the office ?

Ping G410  11.2* Tensei pro OrangeV2 proto 70TX 
    Ping G410 15.5* Graphite Design ADDI 8x
    Ping G410 21* ADDI 105x 
    Ping Blueprint  3-PW   Modus 130X 
    Ping Glide Forged   54 60 s400
    Cameron GSS 009 1.5 , sound slot , tungsten sole weights 

• JustsomeguyJustsomeguy Members Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭✭✭✭

@bladehunter said:

@Justsomeguy said:

? Bad day at the office ?

Every day! Lol..
    I did get out and hit about 50 out of the trap and another 50 flops to a small target. Got some of my natural bitchiness out. Feeling better now.
    But you've got to understand: I was bitchy at an 8th grade level in pre-K. Played varsity bitchy as a freshman, starting **** actually. Had a scholarship to a division 1 college bitchy program, but blew out my space bar thumb. Now look at me. Next year I'll be the comeback kid at the Augusta of bitchiness...

Cobra F9 10.5* Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R - CAMO!
    Cobra F9 15* 5w Project X Evenflow Blue 65 R
    Titleist 915H 20* Diamana S+ Blue 70, R
    Titleist 716 AP1 4-W52, Kuro Kage Tini 65, S
    Cleveland CBX, 56*/12, Rotex Graphite Wedge Flex
    Cleveland Smart Square Blade
  • Shades234Shades234 San DiegoMembers Posts: 310 ✭✭✭✭

Just depends on how committed and how smart/lucky you are to avoid injury. If you can practice a couple of times per week and play every weekend, you'll probably get below 90 on a typical muni setup. If you're just naturally inclined to golf and go play twice a month without practicing, you'll maybe break 100 a couple times. IMO, you should just start with lessons. Find a local PGA pro and get a 5 lesson plan or whatever.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file