Etiquette: Leaving the green before all have finished?

Here's the scene:

Players behind our four, and I'm first to putt. I leave it really close, so I walk up and tap in. I grab the ball and head to my sticks and go to the next tee box. Second player follows. No one has teed off, but the #3 guy says it was poor etiquette to not wait for the 4th guy to finish out.

We have two thoughts...

- Mine was that #4 was slow anyhow, but that it was right to walk away to be sure our pace stayed up. This avoids a rushed tee shot.

- #3 said it was in poor taste to ignore your buddy's efforts.

What do you guys think? Note that there was no excessive noise or distraction. It was just flagged for not being a proper group. What would you think?

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

when we play it’s not really talked about but first one in usually grabs the flag. it’s just what we do maybe just a routine. with that being said and them making a deal of it i’m assuming putters 3 and 4 both missed and are blaming that on you fellas walking away. if we’re playing for a few bucks i mark everything to keep the pressure on knowing i’m close and to have something else in line of sight besides just the hole within reason.

• Like 1

Ya, usually we do the same. The new pin rule has sorta messed with that, but generally once everyone's on, we go with first to say "out", and it stays out.

That means we didn't have the pin in this case. #4 wanted it in.

14 Pings. Blueprints are incredibly good. Fetch is the most underrated putter on the market. Don't @ me.

> @MountainGoat said:

> Yes, walking away early is poor etiquette, and I'm guilty of doing it all the time, particularly if we're pressed from behind.

But why? I’m not disagreeing; is it as stated above; like it’s polite to give the audience?

Not sure what the etiquette rule is, but if you are doing it because you feel your group is slow, and players 3 and 4 are put out by it, I would probably say something like," yeah, OK, but we have to pick up our pace because we are holding folks up"....Are these guys in your "regular" group, so you can be frank about it, or are they guys you don't know that well?

A bit of "ready golf" can help a group get back in position before things get out of hand.

If I were player 4, I wouldn't be bothered by it at all. I might be if all 3 other players left me there all alone to putt out.

FORE RIGHT!!!!

Normally yes it’s poor etiquette. If pace of play is a concern amongst the group then it probably needs to be addressed to the slow players especially if they are normal playing partners. If slow play continues and you feel the need to go tonthe next tee box to show them they need to play faster then you should tell them that as soon as one is finished putting they are to go to the next tee to help speed up

> @MountainGoat said:

> Yes, walking away early is poor etiquette, and I'm guilty of doing it all the time, particularly if we're pressed from behind.

I'm in the same boat as Goat here. I think it is impolite but if you all falling behind I understand. I think if you are playing as a group you should stick together as a group. Especially if they are regulars you play with. Otherwise you are just four onesomes playing the same hole at the same time.

> @matchavez said:

> > @MountainGoat said:

> > Yes, walking away early is poor etiquette, and I'm guilty of doing it all the time, particularly if we're pressed from behind.

> But why? I’m not disagreeing; is it as stated above; like it’s polite to give the audience?

>

Yeah, something like that. Playing in a foursome is a coordinated dance. Part of the deal is the way you all interact. It starts with helping to find balls and ends with shaking hands on the final green. In between are a bunch of little courtesies...like not walking away before the last guy putts out. Proper decorum is a big part of the game. At least it used to be.

Every once in a while I get to play with a tour caddy who is a member at my club. He's a pretty fair golfer. But, what I really enjoy about him is that he totally gets the ritual of playing in a group. He's always in the right place, always working in coordination with the other guys, and always saying the right thing at the right time. He's a joy and an example for everyone who plays with him.

I do this all the time if there is a group on us. I generally finish out and say I’m heading to the next tee box. I hope the other guys get the message but they generally don’t. They are friends and are slow players so I don’t care about the etiquette lol

Callaway (OG) Rogue SZ

TS2 Fairways

JPX 919 Tour (4-PW)

RTX4's 50, 56

BETTI QB6

It's poor etiquette. Plus i'm usually playing money games so I need to see putts holed out.

• Like 1

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

> @farmer said:

> If you're being pushed that hard, let the trailing group play through if there is an open hole. If there is not an open hole, walking to the next tee solves nothing and is poor etiquette.

If there is one guy in your group that won't speed up (if his slow play really is the root of the problem) then I see nothing wrong. I fail to see why golfers desiring to play on pace constantly have to accommodate the chronic slowpoke.

It’s poor etiquette to play slow and hold up the group behind you, you did the right thing. This wasn’t a tournament, play ready golf.

We have the first tee times sat & sun at our club, our foursome with me walking plays in 2.5-3 hrs max. We aren’t even rushing, 2 guys 5 handicap, I’m a +2 and our oldest guy 67 is a 15 handicap and he plays the fastest. No one stands around watching it other and golf clapping. I walk ahead after teeing off, turn around backwards walking to the side as they tee off. I’m never in the way and always at my ball by the time they get there.

I find it really interesting that this isn't clear-cut. A lot of the assumptions are correct, but I didn't want to overly complicate things. We were hit up on the prior hole; 3 metres from getting a guy plunked. Funnily, he was the one moaning about putts and taking too long (#4). Good points all around.

Also, our haggle was already decided at this point; nothing in the putts.

> @"sui generis" said:

> Keep it moving. What's the point of standing around playing pocket pool and watching a couple of guys take two or three putts and then rake away the come-backer?

Exactly, drives me nuts seeing that. Take 5 mins to 3 putt then pick up the ball. Either play it down and fast or pick up, no ones tour card is on the line.

Yes, its bad form and makes you look trashy. If there's a pace of play issue, let it be known. Dont hide behind unsaid gestures.

You owe it to your playing partners to give them your attention and audience during the round as they do for you regardless of who is in the putting order and for what reason.

• Like 1

PRDYMTC TOUR  9.8° + UB6 / PRDYMTC  15°@16 + UB6 / MVRKTC 18° + UB8 G430 26°@25+ IZ95 / FRGD TEC5-G + MODUS115 / MD5TC / SPDR EXTC + GPS

I'd say that's pretty poor etiquette. Either let the group behind you play or pick up the pace on the next hole. All you did was show up a guy in your group to save 2 minutes(if that) because your group still has to tee off on the next hole. All you'd have to do is mention on the next tee that the group behind is on your groups heels and that your group either needs to pick up the pace or let them play through. That should be enough to let the slower player know to pick up the pace. I think if you were in my group and did something like that I would have just asked if you wanted to play on your own because it's pretty obvious you don't want to play in the group.

I would discuss it with folks first, and make it clear that the first two players done move on to the tee and the others will join after holing out.

Titleist Tsi3 9/Tensei White 65x

Titleist Tsi2 16.5/Tensei White 75x

Titleist 818 h2 21/Tensei White 95x

Mizuno Mp-20 mb 4-Pw/Dynamic Gold 120x

Mizuno T22 50, 54, 58/Dynamic Gold s400

Bettinardi Studio Stock #8

Titleist ProV1x

Agree that it is poor etiquette if it isn't discussed in advance.

If there is nowhere to go (group in front is still on the tee or walking to tee shots) then it doesn't make sense to do. If you are being pushed or are falling behind, I don't see a problem doing it to keep up the pace of play as long as everyone knows what the game plan is.

If one guy is miffed by it, and you are being pushed by the group behind, and you are not in position relative to the group in front, I'll stay but it is the last time I play with that person. Your position on the course is not to be "in front of the group behind you" but to be "right behind the group in front of you"

Slow play is the bane of modern golf. When we play, we always walk, play a money game and finish in 3:45 or better. But we also play at a private club. Never happens at a public course. Those rounds are always 4:30 or longer.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

> @dpark said:

> Agree that it is poor etiquette if it isn't discussed in advance.

>

> If there is nowhere to go (group in front is still on the tee or walking to tee shots) then it doesn't make sense to do. If you are being pushed or are falling behind, I don't see a problem doing it to keep up the pace of play as long as everyone knows what the game plan is.

>

> If one guy is miffed by it, and you are being pushed by the group behind, and you are not in position relative to the group in front, I'll stay but it is the last time I play with that person. Your position on the course is not to be "in front of the group behind you" but to be "right behind the group in front of you"

>

> Slow play is the bane of modern golf. When we play, we always walk, play a money game and finish in 3:45 or better. But we also play at a private club. Never happens at a public course. Those rounds are always 4:30 or longer.

And that is one of the reasons for slow play, people standing around thinking it’s etiquette to watch a guy duff it 3 times or three putt only to pick the ball up. Etiquette is not slowing down the whole group. There should be an understanding to move forward not use etiquette as an excuse for slow play.

I’m a member of a private club and we have the first tee times both days on the weekend, a lot of members have asked to play with us and they can’t keep up. We are very polite but will tell guys to pick up there ball if they are playing with us. A newer member complained that we didn’t have good etiquette because of hitting out of turn and not standing around waiting for everyone to finish, I am a walker so I move to the next tee and also I play be back tees so I tee off and start walking down the fairways. We play in 2.5-3hrs max, I’m a +2 and compete. I’m not trying to get my tour card sat & sun morning, as first group we have to set pace of play. This new member has been kicked out of every group he’s tried to play in. He is a high handicappers and expected the group to stand around watching his ball.

You can’t ask for fast play and etiquette like you are playing on tour. The tour has full etiquette and 6hr rounds, nobody wants that.

> @Pittknife said:

> I’m a member of a private club and we have the first tee times both days on the weekend, a lot of members have asked to play with us and they can’t keep up. We are very polite but will tell guys to pick up there ball if they are playing with us. A newer member complained that we didn’t have good etiquette because of hitting out of turn and not standing around waiting for everyone to finish, I am a walker so I move to the next tee and also I play be back tees so I tee off and start walking down the fairways. We play in 2.5-3hrs max, I’m a +2 and compete. I’m not trying to get my tour card sat & sun morning, as first group we have to set pace of play. This new member has been kicked out of every group he’s tried to play in. He is a high handicappers and expected the group to stand around watching his ball.

>

> You can’t ask for fast play and etiquette like you are playing on tour. The tour has full etiquette and 6hr rounds, nobody wants that.

If you play early, you have to play fast. You don't have to score well, you just have to play fast. And it doesn't mean you have to pick up, but if you are going to take 8 strokes a hole, you better not have a 2 minute pre-shot routine. I've played with 30 handicappers who play FAST. No practice swing, they just take their stance and hit the ball. It may not go far, it may not go straight, but they hit in like 5 seconds. Rinse and repeat. The rest of the golfers for the day depend on the rabbit setting the pace. It doesn't have to be 3 hours, but it better be under 4.

There are some golfers with the attitude, "Hey I pay my dues, I can play at any pace I damn well please". Those people drive me crazy. We had that happen today. The 2nd group out was teeing off on 15 when the rabbit was teeing off on 18. They were 45 minutes out of position. it ended up being a 4:30 round of golf.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter