2019 Season- kind of boring

KRAMER1997

Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

> @Golferwill said:

> I think with the majors so close together the fields of the normal events are weaker. Also with wgc smaller field gives less chance for a crowded leaderboard

The only difference with the Majors is the PGA in May.

Let's assume it's a "normal" year.

Masters in April, 3 weeks later the TPC (like it or not, it's a marquee event), 4 weeks later the U.S. Open. 4 weeks after that the Open, 4 weeks later the PGA. Now, give or take a week, depending on the year, but that was the old schedule.

Now the new schedule: TPC in March, a few weeks later The Masters, 3 weeks later the PGA. 4 weeks later the US Open, 4 weeks later The Open. It's all the same time period. It just shifted a month.

> @DrivingChamp said:

> I don’t think we have even had a playoff this year

Forget the numbers, but they were saying on the telecast last week that this has been the longest no playoff streak in years.

My guess is that it is coincidental and not caused by the new schedule, but it has taken away from some of the excitement.

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @Golferwill said:

> > I think with the majors so close together the fields of the normal events are weaker. Also with wgc smaller field gives less chance for a crowded leaderboard

>

> The only difference with the Majors is the PGA in May.

>

> Let's assume it's a "normal" year.

>

> Masters in April, 3 weeks later the TPC (like it or not, it's a marquee event), 4 weeks later the U.S. Open. 4 weeks after that the Open, 4 weeks later the PGA. Now, give or take a week, depending on the year, but that was the old schedule.

>

> Now the new schedule: TPC in March, a few weeks later The Masters, 3 weeks later the PGA. 4 weeks later the US Open, 4 weeks later The Open. It's all the same time period. It just shifted a month.

Front loaded doesn't feel right. Maybe my issue isn't so much the PGA in May but the Players in March. I like the un-official start of the golf season to be The Masters. It just doesn't feel right to start caring all that much about the golf season until The Masters, though I do watch the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the Hawaii tournaments. I also think we need fall golf. I like the year round season. Maybe take November and December off.

The Wyndam this week I read only has 20 of the top 50 players.

• Like 1

> @FootWedge16 said:

> Have to agree. Outside of the masters, this year has been pretty weak. I feel like part of that is having the "next wave" of stars from last few years struggle (Like Jordan and JT).

^^^This!

Guys who have been hugely entertaining to watch over the last 3-4 years haven't year been up to very much at all. Between JT, Spieth, Jason Day, DJ and Rory we have a grand total of 3 wins which the same amount as Matt Kuchar and Cory Conners between them have managed...so it's not really a surprise that it has been a bit of a snoozefest.

Even the majors, the only real drama we had was at Augusta.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Don’t believe it’s scheduling. The fields could be weaker because the big names are not playing as well? But I think it has more to do with the transition into this offensive style of play we are seeing. Look at the winning scores and that tells a lot of the story. You have to charge everyday. There is no such thing as protecting a lead or you chance getting lapped. So it just creates a situation where you can get these huge gaps when someone gets hot. My opinion anyway.

i felt it was "rushed"......wish there was a major last week of july or 1st week of august instead of putting it in the spring.

it's not even august and i feel the season is over.

Adams Speedline Launch Lab 9.5*, Adams 9064LS 9.5*, TM Jetspeed 10.5*, PING G20 9.5*
TM Jetspeed 3HL, PING G20 16.5*, TM Jetspeed 5HL 
Ping I3+ Blades 3-LW
Callaway Raxr X Tour- #2, 3 & 4 hybrids
Callaway I-Trax, Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide

I think part of it is the top guys don't play many events anymore. Of the top 20 guys in the Fed Ex there are only 4 that have played over 20 events currently (Charles Howell, Tony Finau, Chez Reavie). Most of the rest will end 21-22 starts after the playoffs. It seems like the top 5 or so used to max out a little over 20 starts but now you have almost all of the top 20-30 players planning on playing less than 23 times per year.

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

>

> Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

>

> People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

>

> There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

I agree about the unreasonable Tiger hype, at the same time the tournaments, especially those since the PGA Championship were completely lackluster. June was a disaster, that tournament in Detroit, Deere, others which I can't even recall their names, holly smokes, PGA supposed to be a "major" sport and that's the product they push? I can see clouds on the horizon.

TM SIM Max 10.5* Atmos Blue 65S
TM M3 3W Matrix Ozik HD6 S

TM M4 Rescue 3
TM M3 Rescue 5

Srixon 565 5-P PX LZ 5.5
PING Glide 52*SS 58*WS 60*TS
Odyssey #9 O-Works

I'm actually not that fussed about Tiger anymore.

I was absolutely delighted when he won The Masters, generally didn't think it was possible that it could happen, when it did, I rejoiced and actually moved on. Him winning it was almost a sense of closure. Anything else that he does now I'll be happy with. If he wins another tour event, another major or whatever then great. If he hacks it around and misses as many cuts as he makes because he can't play enough golf then I am OK with that to and my watching of golf is not going to be dictated by whether or not he is there. In fact, when he is there, I almost find watching it less attractive because of being scared of what I might see.

Titleist TSR2 8.25* Project X EvenFlow T1100 White 6.0
Titleist TSR3 15* Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist U505 3 Iron Project X Hzrdus Smoke RBX 6.0
Titleist T200/T150 4-PW KBS Tour Stiff
Titleist Vokey SM9 50.08F, 54.12D (Raw) & 60.04L (Raw) True Temper S200
Scotty Cameron Futura 5S
ProV1 2023

Yeah, I agree. I'm pretty cynical WRT to the PGA Tour these days. IMHO it's done. I can't imagine carving out hours in my week to watch big portions of tournament coverage like I did when I was first getting into the game.

You can't exist out there as a dominant figure for more than a couple of months at most. There's not that much separation between #10 and #50. So what's the point in following it?

Call me crazy but I spend 90% of my time either playing, practicing or checking in on the LPGA, where the "elite" players consistently separate themselves. If it's not a major for the men, I just don't really care what the guys on the PGA Tour are doing. The results are pretty random. What happens week-to-week out there just sort of seems inconsequential to me now.

TSR3 (Dr) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6)
TSR2 (3w / 7w) (Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-7)

zU85 (4-6) (UST Recoil)
Z-Forged (7-P) (Nippon Modus3)

SM6 50.F / 56.F / 60.S
Maltby PTM-5CS

Agree with the OP. It seems now with only four weeks or so between majors compared to 5-6 last year, the top guys are definitely playing less and the medium tier tournaments don't have the same feeling they typically used to have. This week was a good example, I turned it on on Sunday and I didn't even know it was a WGC until I read it here. A WGC the week after a major which is like six times zones away? :|

> @JaNelson38 said:

> > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

>

> Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

>

> People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

>

> There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

Correct. The real answer, not enough Tiger.

If you only watch golf because Tiger is around and you can't handle there not being some "super predator" running around winning 70 times and 15 majors, you might just want to head to the exits now to beat the rush.

• Like 1

> @smashdn said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Golferwill said:

> > > I think with the majors so close together the fields of the normal events are weaker. Also with wgc smaller field gives less chance for a crowded leaderboard

> >

> > The only difference with the Majors is the PGA in May.

> >

> > Let's assume it's a "normal" year.

> >

> > Masters in April, 3 weeks later the TPC (like it or not, it's a marquee event), 4 weeks later the U.S. Open. 4 weeks after that the Open, 4 weeks later the PGA. Now, give or take a week, depending on the year, but that was the old schedule.

> >

> > Now the new schedule: TPC in March, a few weeks later The Masters, 3 weeks later the PGA. 4 weeks later the US Open, 4 weeks later The Open. It's all the same time period. It just shifted a month.

>

> Front loaded doesn't feel right. Maybe my issue isn't so much the PGA in May but the Players in March. I like the un-official start of the golf season to be The Masters. It just doesn't feel right to start caring all that much about the golf season until The Masters, though I do watch the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the Hawaii tournaments. I also think we need fall golf. I like the year round season. Maybe take November and December off.

>

> The Wyndam this week I read only has 20 of the top 50 players.

The TPC was in March until 2007. This is just a return to normal.

The Wyndham might very well have the biggest INCREASE in field strength of any PGA Tour event this year.

> @Potatohead said:

> Agree with the OP. It seems now with only four weeks or so between majors compared to 5-6 last year, the top guys are definitely playing less and the medium tier tournaments don't have the same feeling they typically used to have. This week was a good example, I turned it on on Sunday and I didn't even know it was a WGC until I read it here. A WGC the week after a major which is like six times zones away? :|

It is being moved next year to two weeks before the Open.

> @rafal said:

> > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

> >

> > Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

> >

> > People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

> >

> > There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

>

> I agree about the unreasonable Tiger hype, at the same time the tournaments, especially those since the PGA Championship were completely lackluster. June was a disaster, that tournament in Detroit, Deere, others which I can't even recall their names, holly smokes, PGA supposed to be a "major" sport and that's the product they push? I can see clouds on the horizon.

The June disaster (in July too) had the best finish of the year. It was at the 3M Open.

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @rafal said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > > Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

> > >

> > > Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

> > >

> > > People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

> > >

> > > There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

> >

> > I agree about the unreasonable Tiger hype, at the same time the tournaments, especially those since the PGA Championship were completely lackluster. June was a disaster, that tournament in Detroit, Deere, others which I can't even recall their names, holly smokes, PGA supposed to be a "major" sport and that's the product they push? I can see clouds on the horizon.

>

> The June disaster (in July too) had the best finish of the year. It was at the 3M Open.

>

>

The US Open was lackluster? Pebble Beach, Koepka charging from behind on Sunday, Woodland making great shots all over ...