2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

2019 Season- kind of boring

KRAMER1997

Interesting you say that OP cause other sports are starting to be about the playoffs more then regular season also.... NBA and MLB for sure

Must be the fans want the games/tourneys to count for something more then a regular season win

I blame the internet for the world's instant gratification attitude... not kidding

Can't figure how to like my own posts

> @smashdn said:

> > @golfer07840 said:

> > > @Golferwill said:

> > > I think with the majors so close together the fields of the normal events are weaker. Also with wgc smaller field gives less chance for a crowded leaderboard

> >

> > The only difference with the Majors is the PGA in May.

> >

> > Let's assume it's a "normal" year.

> >

> > Masters in April, 3 weeks later the TPC (like it or not, it's a marquee event), 4 weeks later the U.S. Open. 4 weeks after that the Open, 4 weeks later the PGA. Now, give or take a week, depending on the year, but that was the old schedule.

> >

> > Now the new schedule: TPC in March, a few weeks later The Masters, 3 weeks later the PGA. 4 weeks later the US Open, 4 weeks later The Open. It's all the same time period. It just shifted a month.

>

> Front loaded doesn't feel right. ****Maybe my issue isn't so much the PGA in May but the Players in March.**** I like the un-official start of the golf season to be The Masters. It just doesn't feel right to start caring all that much about the golf season until The Masters, though I do watch the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the Hawaii tournaments. I also think we need fall golf. I like the year round season. Maybe take November and December off.

>

You realize the Players was in March, with the exception of the last 10 years right?

Bottom line is that the majors span less days with the new schedule. The old schedule was about 129 days from day 1 of the Masters to day four of the PGA Championship. The new schedule is about 101 days. A compressed front loaded schedule I don't like. And please don't say well we still have this or that tournament. They aren't bad but they aren't the same as the majors.

> @Barfolomew said:

> Interesting you say that OP cause other sports are starting to be about the playoffs more then regular season also.... NBA and MLB for sure

>

> Must be the fans want the games/tourneys to count for something more then a regular season win

>

> I blame the internet for the world's instant gratification attitude... not kidding

your onto something there

Srixon ZX5  TT dynamic gold 95  PING G425 FST 43.25"  Tour Edge 721 Tensei blue 65  Mizuno T22 56* 60*  Bobby Grace AMG 6313 35"

> @"Darth Putter" said:

> > @rafal said:

> > > @JaNelson38 said:

> > > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > > Outside of the Masters and a few other events, this season has seemed pretty boring compared to last year. In 2018 it seemed like the finishes were a lot more exciting and it seemed like every major came down to the back nine. Today for example it was set up for a great finish, but honestly that back-nine was kind of a snooze fest. Does the new schedule have something to do with it?

> > >

> > > Translation: Tiger hasnt played much since Augusta, or played well, so Im bored

> > >

> > > People need to come to the realization that Tiger is, for all intents and purposes, close to being done. So is Phil. Sure, one of them might jump up and win, like Tiger did at Augusta and Phil did at Pebble. But as far as being major players in today's PGA Tour, they're done. The problem you had is the media blowing their wads over Tiger's Masters victory, setting unrealistic expectations for what he could do this season, and now we've reached the collective letdown where everyone is "bored" with golf now because Tiger's not involved...just like it was during the years where Tiger played intermittently while he was having his back issues.

> > >

> > > There have been a number of exciting tournaments this year. A bunch of first-time winners. The biggest infusion of rookie talent that this tour has seen in a long time. There's been nothing boring about this year. And if its the schedule that bothers you, the last major is literally 3 weeks earlier than its been in the past. Thats it. For the long-term health of the Tour, its a change that had to be made. A major purse correction is going to be coming soon as well, as more and more people just like the OP are not going to watch golf anymore because Tiger's not around.

> >

> > I agree about the unreasonable Tiger hype, at the same time the tournaments, especially those since the PGA Championship were completely lackluster. June was a disaster, that tournament in Detroit, Deere, others which I can't even recall their names, holly smokes, PGA supposed to be a "major" sport and that's the product they push? I can see clouds on the horizon.

>

> The June disaster (in July too) had the best finish of the year. It was at the 3M Open.

>

>

This was actually the best finish of a non major I have seen in quite some time. I didn't watch a ton of golf this year, but I was on the edge of my seat on this one. There will be a lot of fresh talent on the tour the next few years, no one will equal the star power of Tiger, but this happens in all sports from time to time. If you really love the sport, there is a lot of great golf to watch, but as others have stated, without Tiger the TV networks need to find a new marketing strategy.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

> @MattyO1984 said:

> I'm actually not that fussed about Tiger anymore.

>

> I was absolutely delighted when he won The Masters, generally didn't think it was possible that it could happen, when it did, I rejoiced and actually moved on. Him winning it was almost a sense of closure. Anything else that he does now I'll be happy with. If he wins another tour event, another major or whatever then great. If he hacks it around and misses as many cuts as he makes because he can't play enough golf then I am OK with that to and my watching of golf is not going to be dictated by whether or not he is there. In fact, when he is there, I almost find watching it less attractive because of being scared of what I might see.

That's not what the PGA Tour and the golf networks believe, Tiger-centricity is still paramount in their minds for ratings, purses.

> @BlackDiamondPar5 said:

> Bottom line is that the majors span less days with the new schedule. The old schedule was about 129 days from day 1 of the Masters to day four of the PGA Championship. The new schedule is about 101 days. A compressed front loaded schedule I don't like. And please don't say well we still have this or that tournament. They aren't bad but they aren't the same as the majors.

When it comes to players looking to peak at different times of the year and determining their schedules, nothing is materially different from last year.

Whatever it is, I agree it has a different feel this year. I did enjoy having major in August. It felt rushed to me as well. Oh well, things change.

Taylormade Qi10 LS 9°(10°) - GD Tour AD UB 5

Taylormade BRNR 11.5°(13°) - GD Tour AD DI 6 

Taylormade SIM2 TI 5W 19°(18°) - GD Tour AD UB 7

Mizuno Pro 245 (4-pw) - DG120 S300

Mizuno T22 50° S Grind

Vokey SM8 56° D Grind

Vokey SM9 60° T Grind

Odyssey WH OG #7 Nano - Stroke Lab 3GEN Red

> @golfer07840 said:

> > @smashdn said:

> > > @golfer07840 said:

> > > > @Golferwill said:

> > > > I think with the majors so close together the fields of the normal events are weaker. Also with wgc smaller field gives less chance for a crowded leaderboard

> > >

> > > The only difference with the Majors is the PGA in May.

> > >

> > > Let's assume it's a "normal" year.

> > >

> > > Masters in April, 3 weeks later the TPC (like it or not, it's a marquee event), 4 weeks later the U.S. Open. 4 weeks after that the Open, 4 weeks later the PGA. Now, give or take a week, depending on the year, but that was the old schedule.

> > >

> > > Now the new schedule: TPC in March, a few weeks later The Masters, 3 weeks later the PGA. 4 weeks later the US Open, 4 weeks later The Open. It's all the same time period. It just shifted a month.

> >

> > Front loaded doesn't feel right. ****Maybe my issue isn't so much the PGA in May but the Players in March.**** I like the un-official start of the golf season to be The Masters. It just doesn't feel right to start caring all that much about the golf season until The Masters, though I do watch the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and the Hawaii tournaments. I also think we need fall golf. I like the year round season. Maybe take November and December off.

> >

> You realize the Players was in March, with the exception of the last 10 years right?

>

>

Yes. Not sure what that has to do with the flow of the current season however. What occurred or did not occur ten years ago has no bearing on the feel of this year's season.

I don't like the Players in March. It is a personal preference thing not a historical thing.

> @Barfolomew said:

> Interesting you say that OP cause other sports are starting to be about the playoffs more then regular season also.... NBA and MLB for sure

>

> Must be the fans want the games/tourneys to count for something more then a regular season win

>

> I blame the internet for the world's instant gratification attitude... not kidding

Playoffs is more important for team sports but I don't think it's all that necessary for golf. Maybe one Final Tour championship tournament at the end of the season would be fine but we already have 4 WGC's and 4 Majors each season that basically have the same type fields. I don't believe other individual sports like tennis have anything similar to the fedex playoffs. Tournaments like Wimbledon trump all that in tennis similar to how the Masters and the Opens are what matters most to many golf fans.

The one thing that did bug a bit about this season is how they had to force the playoffs in August which pushed everything else up including the Open and PGA. The playoffs shouldn't have precedence over the Majors. It got to the point where I just tune out the continuous fedex playoff commercials that run every week.

I don't know what it was this year. When you look at how the tournaments last year stacked up, the weeks in between, aside from Players and PGA, it is very similar. But it also seems like the pros spread their play out, but when you see like JRose for instance. He played the same amount of tournaments between basically all the tournaments as the previous year.

Maybe it was just rushed? I have no idea, cannot put my finger on it. But I gladly paid PGA Tour Live for the last 3 years. I wasn't interested in PGA Gold this year. Don't know.

It seems boring to some because the season is basically almost over. FedEx Cup is here and so will be the Tour Championship. Some are feeling the end of the season 1 month earlier is all.

Ping G425 Max 9* Venus Red TR 5 Stiff

Ping G410 5 Wood Aldila Rogue 130MSI 80 X

Ping G430 Max 7 Wood VA Composites Drago 65 Stiff

Ping G425 Max 9 wood Ventus Blus 7S

Ping G710 5-PW KBS Tour

Ping S159 50 54 58

Ping Anser 2

Too many events, too much TV coverage...I know a weird thing for a sports fan to complain about, but a break of a few months between seasons is good for every other major sport. Tennis is year round, but unless you're a die hard fan, it starts at Australia and ends in NYC.

I liked the old schedule where the tour championship was the end of September (end of summer!), a bunch of silly events and RC, but basically a break of three months till Kapalua. I also find that all the coverage burns me out...even though the TV is really background/no sound, by Saturday I'm often bored with the tournament.

> @manku said:

> Too many events, too much TV coverage...I know a weird thing for a sports fan to complain about, but a break of a few months between seasons is good for every other major sport. Tennis is year round, but unless you're a die hard fan, it starts at Australia and ends in NYC.

> I liked the old schedule where the tour championship was the end of September (end of summer!), a bunch of silly events and RC, but basically a break of three months till Kapalua. I also find that all the coverage burns me out...even though the TV is really background/no sound, by Saturday I'm often bored with the tournament.

Agreed old schedule was better. Also TV coverage has way too many commercials to pay for over produced coverage and blind quest to increase revenue at the sacrifice of quality. In the long run I believe this will hurt the Tour and networks.

Another factor that I think made a big difference was the fact that Tiger is playing less this year. At this point last year (the week before the playoffs started), Tiger had played 14 events and this year Tiger's only played 10 events. I think this is the main difference, because if Tiger is in the top 15 on a Sunday afternoon, chances are we are going to see all his shots.

The winners have been great, obviously Tiger winning was massive for the sport, Koepka wins another major and policies, Lowry wins on home soil. But the ending of all 4 were actually kind of a letdown. They were all done down 18 bar complete disaster. There was one year a few years back where there seemed to be a playoff every week whereas this year it feels like there have been more clearcut finishes than usual.

> @Dave230 said:

> The winners have been great, obviously Tiger winning was massive for the sport, Koepka wins another major and policies, Lowry wins on home soil. But the ending of all 4 were actually kind of a letdown. They were all done down 18 bar complete disaster. There was one year a few years back where there seemed to be a playoff every week whereas this year it feels like there have been more clearcut finishes than usual.

It hasn’t been boring at all. Tiger. Koepka. Woodland making great shots at Pebble. Lowry at Portrush. Rory at the Players. The new guys doing well. Some people just seem to have a hard time processing any change.

Agreed for the most part. The Masters was great even had it not gone Tiger's way - that was simply a spectacular Sunday. I barely even watched the PGA after it was pretty clear Brooks had it in the bag by the end of Thursday. The US Open had some great moments but aside from Brooks trying to charge on Sunday, was pretty meh. But I'll always at least enjoy watching golf at Pebble Beach. I enjoy watching the Open regardless of what happens because I just absolutely love links golf but it wasn't the most interesting tournament this year. Portrush was gorgeous and I totally wanna play there on my next trip across the pond.

Watching Rory kill the field at the Canadian Open was fun. Phil winning the AT&T was fun. The ladies' championship at Augusta was super fun to watch.

But overall, not nearly as good as 2018.

Titleist TSR3 10° Ventus Black

Titleist TS2 18° Diamana D+

Titleist TSR2 21° Diamana D+ 

Titleist TSi2 24° Diamana D+

Titleist T100 5-7, 620MB 8-PW Axiom 105S

Vokey 50.8°F, 56.14°F, 60.12°D Axiom 125X

Scotty Cameron Newport MMT Putter Concept

> @aenemated said:

> Agreed for the most part. The Masters was great even had it not gone Tiger's way - that was simply a spectacular Sunday. I barely even watched the PGA after it was pretty clear Brooks had it in the bag by the end of Thursday. The US Open had some great moments but aside from Brooks trying to charge on Sunday, was pretty meh. But I'll always at least enjoy watching golf at Pebble Beach. I enjoy watching the Open regardless of what happens because I just absolutely love links golf but it wasn't the most interesting tournament this year. Portrush was gorgeous and I totally wanna play there on my next trip across the pond.

>

> Watching Rory kill the field at the Canadian Open was fun. Phil winning the AT&T was fun. The ladies' championship at Augusta was super fun to watch.

>

> But overall, not nearly as good as 2018.

Agreed, last year it seemed as if every week was a shootout including all 4 majors. At the Masters Rickie, Rory, and Spieth were in contention. At the US Open Brooks and DJ dueled and Fleetwood put up a 63. Rory and Spieth led the Open at one point, and Tiger was in the mix the last 2 majors. This year, the Masters was the only tournament where I was on the edge of my seat the entire back 9. The US Open got tight for a bit, but it wasn't the best. The PGA was mundane for the most part except for the last couple holes and the Open lacked in drama (Portrush was awesome though).

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> Another factor that I think made a big difference was the fact that Tiger is playing less this year. At this point last year (the week before the playoffs started), Tiger had played 14 events and this year Tiger's only played 10 events. I think this is the main difference, because if Tiger is in the top 15 on a Sunday afternoon, chances are we are going to see all his shots.

so if tiger played 4 more times this thread wouldnt have been made...

6k5t54kpwcnx.png

> @lowheel said:

> > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > Another factor that I think made a big difference was the fact that Tiger is playing less this year. At this point last year (the week before the playoffs started), Tiger had played 14 events and this year Tiger's only played 10 events. I think this is the main difference, because if Tiger is in the top 15 on a Sunday afternoon, chances are we are going to see all his shots.

>

> so if tiger played 4 more times this thread wouldnt have been made...

>

> 6k5t54kpwcnx.png

>

yup

> @KRAMER1997 said:

> > @lowheel said:

> > > @KRAMER1997 said:

> > > Another factor that I think made a big difference was the fact that Tiger is playing less this year. At this point last year (the week before the playoffs started), Tiger had played 14 events and this year Tiger's only played 10 events. I think this is the main difference, because if Tiger is in the top 15 on a Sunday afternoon, chances are we are going to see all his shots.

> >

> > so if tiger played 4 more times this thread wouldnt have been made...

> >

> > 6k5t54kpwcnx.png

> >

> yup

thanks for confirming everyones suspicion... no tiger no watch golf... a true fan of the game.

• Like 1