To SIM or not to SIM...

Man_O_War

absolutely killing the G400 LST 8.5... so long, so accurate and versatile..so much fun.

a quiet time spent on ebay..saw a SIM head for so cheap...i said YAY.. Now i am wondering even to bother hitting it.

I love the smaller footprint of the G400...but want the new shizzle wizzle.

when a man and a tool are so in tune, why break the bond..the flow..and disturb with "hope" and possibilities.

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

It sounds like you answered your own question. Stick with what works, until it doesn't. Next year there will be another bunch of new shiny things to consider.

PXG 0211 12° driver with Project X Cypher shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 16° 4 wood w/Kuro Kage Black 60g shaft
Srixon Z355 22° 7 wood w/Miyazaki Jinsoku shaft
Maltby KE4 TC 19° and 22° 3 and 4 hybrids w/UST Proforce V2 Black shaft

Maltby KE4 TC 25° 5 hybrid with KuroKage Black shaft

Lazrus 27° 6 hybrid 
PXG 0211DC irons 7-PW w/Project X Cypher graphite shafts

Cleveland CBX2 50° GW w/Rotex wedge flex shaft
Maltby M-Series+ 56° wedge w/UST Recoil 660 graphite shaft
Cleveland  Huntington Beach Soft Premier 10.5

Go get fit and test them head to head. See which wins.

• Like 1

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

SIM was very good but the shallow face killed me. I need a deeper face on a driver. Left to right on the SIM was phenomenal but up and down was poor. I went back to my TS3 and LTD pro

• AI Smoke 🔷🔷🔷10.5* Denali Black 60 6.5
  • TM M5 Tour 18.25* - Tensei AV White 2.0 TX
  • TM Stealth 7w 21* - Fuji Pro 2.0 Tour Spec 8s
  • Srixon ZX Utility 23* MMT 105TX HS
  • Srixon ZX7 5-Aw PX LZ 6.5 SS
  • Mizuno T7 55* - PX LZ 6.5
  • TM MG4 60* SBC - DG TI S400
  • Bettinardi Inovai 6.0 2024
  • Tour B XS

I am in the same exact boat. I have been gaming the G400 LST 8.5 the last two years and I have this level of comfort with it like nothing else. Recently got fit for the Sim in an Accra Tz5 shaft and the thing is really a rocket launcher. On good strikes, the G400 can't even touch the SIM. Distance, spin and dispersion are miles better than the G400...on good strikes. That's where I am having a dilemma. I am so consistent with the G400 but very sporadic with the Sim. Do I take the 290-305 yards consistently with the G400 or do I take the 320+ bomber on the occasional great strike? In a tournament situation, I'd probably go with the G400. But when playing in an outing or just with friends I'm definitely bagging the SIM.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I went from the G400 LST 10* knocked down to 9* to the SIM Max. I've found myself in places off the tee, on courses I normally play, that I would not normally be with my G400. It is by far giving me more ball speed and yardage with similar spin characteristics. The Max has also been plenty forgiving. The only thing that is a noticeable difference is the head weight between the two.

Gotcha. Thanks for the feedback. I'm a high ball/high spin player and the Sim 8* head got me to about 1900-2100 with the Accra TZ5. I wonder if a Sim Max head turned down (since they don't make 8* sim max heads) would yield similar results but increased forgiveness.

Stealth Plus 7.5* Accra TZ5 M5 65

Sim Ti 14* Fuji Speeder TR 757x

Titleist Tsr2 18* Fuji Pro 2.0 TS 8x

Mizuno 223 4-PW PX  LS 6.5

SM9 50/12F, 54/10S, 60/12D PX Wedge 6.5

Bettinardi Queen B 10 Blackout Stability Tour

I'm a big proponent of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it". That being said, I just recently put a SIM into play after 5+ years of not wanting to switch out a 915D3. The Titleist was reliable, it was never the longest, but I could work it both ways and hit more than my fair share of fairways. Well, I had two bad rounds in a row with it and the little guy on the shoulder told me to get a driver fitting. What we found is that, while I was making good contact, the 915D3 was spinning too much which was costing me in both distance and accuracy. I was all set to walk out with the Mavrik SZ as it had cut my sidespin down by 1/2 and I had picked up almost ~15 yards. When the fitter and I kicked the session off I told him I had no interest in hitting the SIM as I didn't like the shape but he talked me into hitting 2-3 shots with it "just to see". The first ball went 326 and my reaction was "what did you change the altitude to". I ended up averaging almost 11 yards more than the Mavrik, mainly due to almost entirely eliminating any sidespin and bringing the spin down to around 2,000 RPM.

The Mavrik was really great and close to perfect but the SIM's ability to move the weight a little bit more towards the toe and bring the loft down to 7* was a perfect combination for me. I agree with Vinny above that my first round with it had me in some spots I've never seen before.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet LS 9* | Kai'Li White 60X

3W: Cobra Aerojet LS 14.5* | Kai'Li White 70X

Hybrid: Titleist TSi2 18* | Tensei AV White 90x

3i-4i: Mizuno Pro 225 | C-Taper 130x

5i-9i: Mizuno MP4 | C-Taper 130x

Wedges: TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 48* / 53* / 58* | C-Taper 130x / S+

Putter: Custom Shop Cameron Studio Select Squareback 1 - 34"

I've hit SIM Max and Mavrik both to try and dethrone my G400 Max this year - no dice.

Mavrik feels just as good, but isn't nearly as forgiving. And has a less inviting look to it vs. G400's.

SIM Max feels terrible (unless muted "thud" is your go-to feel), and didn't outperform G400 on length or forgiveness.

As said above, if you have a driver you get on well with, there's virtually zero benefit besides ho-ing to buy a SIM Max.

OP, same quandary here. I gamed ST190 with a Fuji Speeder TR661 and bombed it for over a season here in AZ. The one thing I noticed when going back to my ole M4 Fuji Speeder Evo2 driver, was how much easier it was to miss and achieve decent results. I felt like the Mizzy is either on or off. It needs a center high slightly toe strike to max out and if my swing is off a little, it would bring in the hook miss. Thinking the Sim Max had to be better then the m4 I hit it with a Accra TZ6 and couldn't be happier. Its longer on average than the Mizzy, as forgiving as the M4 set up (if not more), and I can miss it seemingly all over the face and be in the fairway with out much loss in distance for my second shot. All in all, I wish I would have done it sooner! SIM ON

PXG GEN6 0311 10.5*DRIVER/FUJI RED VELOCORE 6S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN5 0311XF 17*FAIRWAY/FUJI MOTORE X F3 7S/GP TW WHT

PXG GEN3 0311XP 3 IRON/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN3 0311P 4-PW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG GEN4 0311P GW/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/WINN DT WRAP

PXG SD II WEDGES/56/13&62/10/TT ELEVATE TOUR S/GP TW BLK

MACHINE M2A 1018RAW CS PUTTER/ACCRA I-STEEL/SS FLAT 1.0

High ball hitter by nature. Loved the Max, but needed the SIM to get trajectory down. Takes some trial and error to get all the components the way you need/want them, but when you do ... WOW! Have my 9* turned up to 10.5* and upright with the weight about 1/2” toward the heel, and the ball flight is exactly what I was looking for.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

The SIM Max is the straightest, most forgiving driver I've ever hit, and sounds just fantastic. I liked the G400 before that, but the Ping heads are heavy and misses with them were high fades - my least favorite shot. Tried the G410 as well, but never warmed up to that.

Play my Max 9° head at 9.75° Upright (all my clubs are upright) with a Ventus Blue 6X and just love it. Face looks perfectly square as well. I only carry the ball about 275 with it, but it's all about shot placement at my club, not distance. Liked it so much that I added the Ti 3-wood - which I hit off the tee a lot - and that is a real bomber too. Get a demo club to try - you might dig it.

51228683_mizunoshadow.jpg.331dc94966b1c93058cfa910903c6db8.jpg

awesome feedback guys! I am convinced now to play the SIM lol. Well i had my favourite Matrix F6M2 adapted for the SIM Head and made an early morning trip to the range this morning. EST.

After putting, chipping, i made my way to the range. Hit my usual SW to get the swing going...I have been as low as a +1 and driving has been my strongest for years. Game went south for many years with poor mechanics and quarantine made me diagram swings and break everything down. My game's been back to it's full glory in recent weeks and the G400 LST 8.5 has been so good to me. So long, so straight but a tad more spin hurts me at times. I play the Fuji Evo III 661 in that head and it's a great combination.

The SIM sure is pretty. Sexy actually. A model. So i set up at 10.5 standard everything. Lie, weight is neutral and the first hit, high straight shot..i kept waiting for the spin.. none. It just kept going. Second shot, high with a soft draw, no spinny shot. 10 shots of the same tight dispersion in a row. I looked around to see if anyone was watching lol. Felt proud in a weird way. It feels just like the G400 LST> Sounds very very similar. It hides the 460cc so well. It just seems smaller than that. So easy to maneuver. Simply best driver i have ever hit..I managed to put it down and end my range session. leaving a large bucket there. No need to hit anymore shots. Instant promotion to number 1 spot because it feels just like an upgrade to the G400 LST. Even the G410 LST that i tried some months back is too different from the G400 but the SIM is definitely a bigger brother.

Maybe it just suits my swing. I could definitely play it at a much lower loft because i am launching it so high but no spin issues so why bother...you know the answer to that. Power/distance corrupts. the good news is i don't have to change sticks to find extra yards. I can tune it too :)

• Like 1

Titleist TSR4 /Ozik F6M2/Ozik TP6HD/EVO III FUJI/fuji pro 2.0
Cobra Ltd 3 Kaili 80

Cobra Ltd 5 Kaili 80 (sub :Cobra F6 Baffler 18.5 Kaili 80)
Adams XTD TI  22 Hybrid
Honma 757B Blades 4-pw . s300 xp 
Nike Vapor Pro combo AW 50*,Ping 3.0 EYE 54, 58 

Bettinardi SS 2 silver

Nike B1-05 Origin (Rare)
Slazenger 508/Kirk Currie KC02B

G400 as long as sim max, that is the first I heard of this. The ping max is a great driver in so many ways but length is not one.

Signature of Solon CC

Ping g430 10k 9 Accra fx 3.0 140 m0

Titleist Tsr1 15 tour ad di6

Titleist 917 18 Kk proto

Titleist Tsr1 4 hybrid Accra fx 2.0 

Titleist t300 5-Pw Matrix Red proto moi matched 

Wilson Staff zm 50 recoil dart v

Wilson staff zm 56 recoil dart v

Vokey Wedge Works Raw 60K DG Tour Issue S400 Black Onyx

L.A.B. Mezz Max blue Tpt shaft 34/71

• 1 month later...

I had the SIM MAX which was nice had some of my longest drives but the curiosity and the hype got me to try the PING SFT 410. Very forgiving but if I were not hitting a draw I was hooking it. I never got the extra yardage I was after. Went with the LST as this is long but not as forgiving. Went to the 410 Plus 10.5 and then 9*. Really liked the 10.5 but mid to high launch with it. The 9* for some reason I hit too many thin pushed shots.

The hype got me again as my swing speed is around 92mph plus so I now went for the Mavrick Max 10.5 reg. riptide even flow. Love the looks and the feel when I would catch one but way to high and I never got the desired draw shot I wanted. It has been a since the BBD was the last driver I liked and could hit. Rouge never last or did the Mavrick, but I would take the Mavrick over the Rouge anyway. 

Went back to TaylorMade but with the SIM 9* with Project X HZRD Green Smoke 6.0. Nice sound and feel and it's the longest as the head and shaft combo works well with me. 1st Tee Long and right down the middle for 270 yards.  The one thin shot I hit never got up over 50' but it was over 260 yds with there roll right down the middle. Looks like TM SIM is the winner as I'm not even curious with the new PING 425 or Big Bertha B21 coming out soon. 

Driver: Cobra  50th Anniversary Edition Aerojet 10.5 w/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ4 

3W: Callaway  Paradym X 3w/ Graphite Design Tour AD CQ5  

5/7W: Callaway Paradym X / Project X Hzrdus Gen 4 silver 5.5

Irons:  Titleist T-350 w/Aerotech i80r

Wedges:  Cleveland RTX 6 ZipCore 48* and 54* w/Aerotech i95r

Putter:  ENVROLL E2 34" with Stability Fire shaft  w/ Oversize Black PURE grip (rotate) ODESSEY EYE TRAX 2-BALL w/BGT Stability Carbon 33" 2 Thumb OG Lite 31 black grip