#TheWRX: The EPIC Event at Callaway Golf. 8 Members are treated to TheWRX

Comments

• bcflyguy1bcflyguy1 Enjoying my coffee... Members Posts: 3,014 ✭✭
    mackepa wrote:

QMany wrote:

Can you guys explain to me how the fitter can come to the conclusion a shaft isn't giving good dispersion for players who are amateurs and therefore don't have repeatable swings?

incredulous.gif

He's right. Why even get fit? Callaway should have just given us tennis rackets.

Took longer than I thought it would, but "that guy" finally showed up.
    Never forget that the luxury of being
    wrong is not enough to make you right.
    WITB Link
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members Posts: 15,316 ✭✭
    So all of y'all that went...

Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

Callaway Rogue SZ *9.0 w/ UST Mamyia Proforce V2 6F4 (US Open Edition)

Callaway Rogue SZ *13.5 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway SZ Rogue SZ *18 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway 18' Xforged 4-P w/ KBS $taper 120 S

Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200

Odyssey #6 Long Neck White Hot

#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • mackepamackepa #TheWRX Members Posts: 3,592 ✭✭

Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

So for me even in a stock configuration the new drivers were longer than my well fit gamer. Once the world class fitters got involved it was game over.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Epic Flash SZ 15* AD IZ 8
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Apex Pro 19 4-PW KBS Proto
    MD4 52s, 56s, 60x KBS $-Taper
    Toulon Austin Longneck Garage
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • QManyQMany #TheWRX ClubWRX Posts: 9,053 ClubWRX

A little bit of both, to be honest. It is hard to learn the MOI numbers, deflection charts, etc. then see the results during the fitting and on the course and not think it has a little to do with technology. Then the Tour-level fitting is also to blame. I think that further narrows down the dispersion and maximizes the technology, if that makes sense.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Taylormade M3 460 (9.5°) Tensei CK Pro White 70TX
    Callaway GBB Epic SZ (15°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80TX
    Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
    Callaway Apex Pro (4i-PW) DG X100 TI
    Ping Glide 2.0 (50° & 54°) DG S400 TI
    Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
    Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

QMany's Swing/Sticks / Instagram
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

mackepa wrote:

QMany wrote:

Can you guys explain to me how the fitter can come to the conclusion a shaft isn't giving good dispersion for players who are amateurs and therefore don't have repeatable swings?

incredulous.gif

He's right. Why even get fit? Callaway should have just given us tennis rackets.

How is that not a valid question...

The guy who had the Tour V 120 x said after hitting a few balls the fitter said the shaft isn't giving good dispersion. I'm asking how can you attribute that to the shaft on the swing of an amateur.

Not sure why I'm getting laughed at
  • ell_13ell_13 Members Posts: 74
    Are you saying a fitter (one of the best in the business), listening to the golfer, won't be able to identify a mis hit vs the result of the equipment?
    [font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Callaway Rogue SZ 9*; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M1 3W; Aldila Rogue Silver 70X
    TM M2 3H; TaylorMade REAX 75S
    Srixon 765 4-PW; Modus Tour 120S
    Callaway MD Forged 50*, 54*, 60*; KBS Wedge 120
    GP Tour Wrap Grips on Irons/Wedges
    GP MCC 4 on Woods
    Bettinardi DASS BB0 w/ FIT Face[/font]

bcflyguy1 wrote:

mackepa wrote:

QMany wrote:

incredulous.gif

How is that not a valid question...

The guy who had the Tour V 120 x said after hitting a few balls the fitter said the shaft isn't giving good dispersion. I'm asking how can you attribute that to the shaft on the swing of an amateur.

Sorry, it must have been your wording. While doing the fittings we intentionally threw the really bad swings out as that's not a fair representation of the technology. We did that with both our gamers and new fits. Even when I hit the shafts that didn't work out well the dispersion had a wider range than the Tour V 120X so we went with that. Pros mishit balls too so I'm sure these guys throw out poor strikes for them too.

If a fitter sees a trend of multiple poor strikes with one configuration then it's probably not worth trying too hard to find some good strikes.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • The Chicken ConnoisseurThe Chicken Connoisseur The Pengest Munch Banned Posts: 3,732
    Poor strikes isn't the same thing as just missing the target
  • Homerun2BirdieHomerun2Birdie Members Posts: 853 ✭✭
    HipCheck wrote:

I love the "New 2017 Callaway Driver" but since I can't show it, here's something for you...

Looks like a Milled Collection TX with a White Hot Pro insert

- TM

DRIVER: Callaway Rogue SZ 9°– Fujikura ATMOS Black 8x
    3 WOOD: TEE EX9 Tour 13° – Fujikura ATMOS Red 8X
    5 WOOD: Cobra F6 Baffler 16° – Aldila Tour Green 95 X-Stiff
    3 HYBRID: Cobra KING F7 19° – Aldila Tour Green 105 X-Stiff
    IRONS (4-P): Callaway Apex Pro '19 – KBS $-Taper 130 X-Stiff
    WEDGES: Scor 4161 52° + Vokey Low Bounce K 58° – N.S. PRO Modus³ Tour 130 X-Stiff
    PUTTER: Evnroll ER2
    [background=rgb(245, 248, 250)]

Johnny Rodriguez@JohnnyRodCG
    Dec 15[/background][background=rgb(245, 248, 250)]

Had a great week with the boys @GolfWRX #cameraissues

CzuK3t6UoAAYPFR.jpg[/background]

CzuK3t5UQAAUlmC.jpg

CzuK3t5UAAAEmam.jpg

CzuK3t7UQAESwAQ.jpg
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• balladmballadm Augusta, GAMembers Posts: 684 ✭✭
    Great pics of the guys swings!
  • HipCheckHipCheck Toed it a lil, Romes. The Right CoastMarshals Posts: 6,233 mod
    edited Dec 16, 2016 #1243

HipCheck wrote:

I love the "New 2017 Callaway Driver" but since I can't show it, here's something for you...

Yes sir.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud

HipCheck wrote:

HipCheck wrote:

Yes sir.

HipCheck wrote:

Yes sir.

Rob owes me another trip for finding it in Austie's office. image/pimp.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':pimp:' /> image/cheesy.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':cheesy:' />
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • GolfrnutGolfrnut Members Posts: 7,160 ✭✭

Why would you think they are not repeatable just because they are amateurs? That's not really the difference between pros and amateurs. If you look at the difference through monitor results, you'll find that neither really change all the much.
    TM Supertri V2 w/ Matrix Ozik Code 6.2
    Callaway 3Deep w/ 73 BB  
    Taylormade P790 2 UDI w/ DG 105R 
    Taylormade P790 3 iron w/ DG AMT White R300
    4-PW Nike VR Pro MBs w/ DG AMT White R300
    Callaway MD3 52* & 58* PM grind (both X100 8 iron SS)
    Odyssey MXM 1W
  • CallawayLeftyCallawayLefty Lefty Boomers Posts: 1,984 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

A little bit of both, to be honest. It is hard to learn the MOI numbers, deflection charts, etc. then see the results during the fitting and on the course and not think it has a little to do with technology. Then the Tour-level fitting is also to blame. I think that further narrows down the dispersion and maximizes the technology, if that makes sense.

I think you guys got the highest level of fitting there is to get. It's not the same as going to Golf Galaxy and having some dude rotate through the 4 stock shafts and tell you which one looks the best for you. I told Q this several times, but I was equally jealous of the opportunity to get that fitting as I was the opportunity to get all the free stuff. I think a proper equipment fitting can work wonders, especially when you have all of the options available that you guys had at the ECPC. For example, if you fit into an X flex shaft, what's the most possible options you'll get at a regular store/range fitting - maybe get 2 shafts to choose between? Honestly, I stopped worrying about launch monitor fittings years ago. I just go by ball flight and feel, because I know whatever fitting I can get at a "normal" spot would be about as good as I can fit myself with my own two eyes. The next time I want a real fitting, I'm going to the TPI, or to Callaway, or to Cool Clubs or something like that. No point to the others in my opinion, provided that you're already reasonably well versed in ball flight, equipment performance, etc.
  • misplacedtexan83misplacedtexan83 Members Posts: 15,316 ✭✭
    mackepa wrote:
    So all of y'all that went... Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?
    So for me even in a stock configuration the new drivers were longer than my well fit gamer. Once the world class fitters got involved it was game over.

That is what I was looking for and thought. Some people are doubters of the technology involved in the new EPIC heads. Yall were fitted by world class fitters, so that enhances everything but the bone stock driver was out performing yours...

QMany wrote:
    So all of y'all that went... Obviously fitting is important but is the 2017 technology that good or was it the world class filters that made y'all all say..holy Sh*t with the new stuff?

Another example for some, the technology in this head has been years in the making and it just flat out produces. I know the world class fitting got your grouping even tighter, which why most people should get fitted.

Also, doesn’t hurt to have your swing image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=';)' />

Congrats again guys!
    Callaway Rogue SZ *9.0 w/ UST Mamyia Proforce V2 6F4 (US Open Edition)

Callaway Rogue SZ *13.5 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway SZ Rogue SZ *18 w/ Project X Even flow 75 S

Callaway 18' Xforged 4-P w/ KBS $taper 120 S

Callaway Tactical Wedges 50S & 54S & 58W w/ True Temper S200

Odyssey #6 Long Neck White Hot

#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway
  • MoonyockMoonyock Members Posts: 40

We are going to Disney for New Years, I hope to play Magnolia in between, if not, don't matter, but I am a Disney nut as well....

If you are crunched for time look into their Sunrise 9 deal http://golfwdw.com/sunrise-9/
  • rymail00rymail00 Members Posts: 6,704 ✭✭
    bcflyguy1 wrote:

mackepa wrote:

QMany wrote:

incredulous.gif

You can always count on MM to give those type posts.
    rymail00 2018 WITB http://www.golfwrx.c...witb-pic-heavy/

TM M1 430 8.5* Tour Issue w/ Tensei CK Pro White 70s (with high gloss SLDR finish from Continental Golf)
    Titleist 917 F3 15* D+ 80s
    Titleist 915H 21* D+ 90s
    Titleist 915H 24* D+ 90s
    Titleist AP2 718, 5-50* Steelfiber i95s
    Scratch TD DW 54* 58* KBS HiRev
    Odyssey Metal X Milled 330M (current gamer)

Ping Scottsdale TR B60
    TP Mills Heritage 349g
    Byron Morgan 006 355g
    Byron Morgan Makers Proof #4/5 solid copper
    C&L CL1 368g
    Scotty Cameron Newport Studio Style
  • scottazscottaz ClubWRX Posts: 1,911 ClubWRX

QMany wrote:

I think you guys got the highest level of fitting there is to get. It's not the same as going to Golf Galaxy and having some dude rotate through the 4 stock shafts and tell you which one looks the best for you. I told Q this several times, but I was equally jealous of the opportunity to get that fitting as I was the opportunity to get all the free stuff. I think a proper equipment fitting can work wonders, especially when you have all of the options available that you guys had at the ECPC. For example, if you fit into an X flex shaft, what's the most possible options you'll get at a regular store/range fitting - maybe get 2 shafts to choose between? Honestly, I stopped worrying about launch monitor fittings years ago. I just go by ball flight and feel, because I know whatever fitting I can get at a "normal" spot would be about as good as I can fit myself with my own two eyes. The next time I want a real fitting, I'm going to the TPI, or to Callaway, or to Cool Clubs or something like that. No point to the others in my opinion, provided that you're already reasonably well versed in ball flight, equipment performance, etc.

I couldn't agree more. I think the spec sheets you came home with (along with remembering what felt right to you during testing) may be the most valuable swag from the trip.
    rymail00 wrote:

bcflyguy1 wrote:

mackepa wrote:

QMany wrote:

incredulous.gif

You can always count on MM to give those type posts.

Ok so since you guys had a Trackman, did your path, face, aoa, etc. #'s all stay the same to be able to deduce that it is indeed the shaft that in changing the outcome?

Ok so since you guys had a Trackman, did your path, face, aoa, etc. #'s all stay the same to be able to deduce that it is indeed the shaft that in changing the outcome?

No, my path, face, AOA, etc. did not stay the exact same on every swing. I'm not that good; I don't know anyone who is.
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

edited Mar 1, 2017 #1253
    I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:
    • 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 70 X fit at ECPC:
    • 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
    • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
    • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
    • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Currently in #TheWRX...

Odyssey O Works R-Line
    Taylormade TP5X

• chickenpotpiechickenpotpie #TeamJetSpeed Members Posts: 8,538 ✭✭
    MM, does any of that matter? If you have a representative sample set you can see differences between clubs/shafts. Shafts will likely change those variables, some for the good and some not. Your pro versus amateur swing point only changes the number of swings needing to be taken to get a sample set. Basic stats issue.
    Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013
    WITB Link

MM, does any of that matter? If you have a representative sample set you can see differences between clubs/shafts. Shafts will likely change those variables, some for the good and some not. Your pro versus amateur swing point only changes the number of swings needing to be taken to get a sample set. Basic stats issue.

Yes, Callaway themselves were adamant that the Pros will see gains with the new clubs but nothing like what some of us experienced because they're already optimum.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
    I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just genuinely curious. I've never had a top-level fitting before, and I worked in a local shop for a long time as a fitter, and with 99.9% of players its really more about just trying to get what feels comfortable and if possible result in more consistent strikes, but to notice a dispersion improvement as a result of the shaft and not random chance is hard
  • DavePelz4DavePelz4 A golf course in the Chicago area.ClubWRX Posts: 24,330 ClubWRX
    QMany wrote:

I got my Trackman report back. I will try to get a screen shot and post ASAP. But at first glance:

PING G30 + 45.75" Alta 55 X fit at PING HQ:
    • 110.6 CHS, 166.4 BS, 1.50 SF, 12.8 launch, 2055 spin, 270.2 carry

Callaway New 2017 Driver + varying 45" 80 X fit at ECPC:
    • 111.8 CHS, 166.9 BS, 1.49 SF, 12.5 launch, 1833 spin, 272.3 carry
    • 112.8 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.50 SF, 10.2 launch, 2157 spin, 269.0 carry
    • 112.5 CHS, 169.7 BS, 1.51 SF, 12.2 launch, 2478 spin, 275.7 carry
    • 112.1 CHS, 167.6 BS, 1.49 SF, 11.6 launch, 3082 spin, 272.9 carry

(EDIT: These are actual numbers taken with wind in and off the right. He also had normalized numbers listed on his screen. Flightscope Optimizer calculates the third New 2017 Driver at 291.9 carry.)

The consistency in all of your numbers is very impressive! Explains why you shot 70 at Torrey and had the potential for an even lower round. Color me JEALOUS!
  • pitchinwedgepitchinwedge Members Posts: 1,552 ✭✭
    QMany wrote:

I think the thing I was most surprised about was the sound of the New 2017 Driver. It reminds me of the last Callaway club I had in the bag, the Razr Hawk Tour. It is muted but solid. I think you can hear it in the videos posted; it is an addicting sound off the face.

RHT was also the last Cally club in my bag. Oh my.... I think I'm going to be in love again!
    917 D2 8.50* - Tensei CK Pro White 60
    917 F2 13.5* - Rogue Max 70
    816 H2 19.0* - D+ Plus 90
    716 T-MB (3i, 4i) - Modus 120
    716 CB (5-PW) - Modus 120
    Hogan TK15 - 49, 55
    Edel Deschutes

Photo WITB
  • slapcut79slapcut79 Members Posts: 36

I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just genuinely curious.

If you have to say "I'm not trying to be a dick" ... well, you know.

No need to ruin a great thread.

I'm not trying to be a dick I'm just genuinely curious. I've never had a top-level fitting before, and I worked in a local shop for a long time as a fitter, and with 99.9% of players its really more about just trying to get what feels comfortable and if possible result in more consistent strikes, but to notice a dispersion improvement as a result of the shaft and not random chance is hard

That's where you as a fitter need to have the ability to see that your customer is striking a ball poorly because of change in spec. Get the baseline first with their current club and pay attention to their numbers along with their swing. You need to be able to differentiate between bad swings and a poor fit causing bad swings. Nick couldn't take the C-Tapers out of my hands fast enough. He noticed that I wasn't loading the shaft and my tempo increased to try and force the load causing an increase in dispersion.
    #TheWRX 12/11/16
    Epic Flash SZ 9* AD IZ 6
    Apex 20* AD IZ 85
    Jones Utility Rover
    Chromesoft X
  • MtlJeffMtlJeff MontrealMembers Posts: 28,369 ✭✭
    Look at that divot line from Matt, you know you can use the whole range Q you don't need to just keep backing up!

The Callaway guys thanked me for taking such great care of their grass lol (I basically don't take divots)
    Ping G400 Max 9 w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w/Matrix Black Tie 80
    Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
    Callaway MD Forged 52,56 w/S300
    Callaway MD 2.0 60 PM grind w/s300
    SGC Northwood Center Shaft 400g
This discussion has been closed.