We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.
***11/16/2019 Attention GolfWRX community. If you had to reset your forum password, please see info below. ***

GolfWRX was informed of a potential issue and in an effort to be proactive, passwords were reset for some users. Please use the forget password recovery link: https://forums.golfwrx.com/entry/passwordrequest

Please email [email protected] if further help is required. We're sorry for any inconvenience.

Dallas Public Courses

WidespreadPanic ·  
WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner 4902Members Posts: 4,902
I will be in Dallas next week and need an absolutely awesome course to play. Would love to play a real "Texas" course, though I don't really know what that means.
Posted:
Taylormade M2 ('17) 10.5*
Cobra F7 15.5*
Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
Cleveland RTX 588 2.0 52**, 56**, 60**
Taylormade TP Red Ardmore 3
Taylormade TPx

Comments

• cjblake09cjblake09  1939Members Posts: 1,939
    Where in Dallas are you staying and how far are you willing to drive to play somewhere?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • MoretyMorety  274Members Posts: 274
    Stevens Park just outside of downtown is great.
    Posted:
    Titleist TS2 driver & 3 wood
    PXG 0317 hybrid
    PXG 0311 4-PW irons
    Vokey SM6 50F, 54S, 60S wedges
    Scotty Cameron 009 Circle T putter

• WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4902Members Posts: 4,902
    what's the deal with Texas star or the Cowboys course? These two seem to always pop up when I search for courses.

I will probably be going to the course directly from DFW. If not, then the Meridien Stoneleigh Hotel in Dallas.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Taylormade TPx
  • ChancemanChanceman  676Members Posts: 676
    The Cowboys course is terrific.

Maybe look at Old American for a linksy type layout.
    Posted:
  • JunglelandJungleland  451Members Posts: 451
    I'd recommend Old American as well. Lived in Dallas for many years, the golf is plentiful and good but short of Dallas National I'm hard pressed to say I thought the area had a great course.

If you are staying at the Stoneleigh be sure to hit up Nick & Sams for dinner - not the Grill, the regular one on Maple.
    Posted:
  • North TexasNorth Texas  4492Members Posts: 4,492
    I would say that the closest course to the "absolute awesome" category that you specified would probably be The Cowboys Club. Not far behind would be Old American and Texas Star. After that, just going on courses that I have played, you would have Bridlewood, Frisco Lakes, and Heritage Ranch that you should consider. Don't get to the Fort Worth area hardly at all to play so can't help you with any courses over that way.

And I'm assuming you were asking about public courses.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • WidespreadPanicWidespreadPanic Wizard in the Corner  4902Members Posts: 4,902
    Old America looks really cool, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $150. Texas Star seems really cheap...is it nice? My budget is probably up to $70-80. I'm playing Stevens Park on Friday with some college buddies - I'm there for a wedding but flying in a day early to get a solo round in.

I really appreciate all the advice.
    Posted:
    Cobra F7 15.5*
    Taylormade M1 ('17) 19*
    Mizuno MP18 Fli Hi 4i
    Mizuno MP18 SC 5-PW
    Taylormade TPx
  • canthitathreewoodcanthitathreewood  214Members Posts: 214
    Morety wrote:

Stevens Park just outside of downtown is great.

I'll second this.

I played this in a last minute, on a whim situation and was very impressed. Not long, not too difficult either but absolutely full of golden era character.

Three or four greens are flat and square. Ask a local why they are square if you want a neat story.
    Posted:
    Play Hard!
  • cjblake09cjblake09  1939Members Posts: 1,939
    I would vote for Old American over Cowboys but both are great courses.
    Posted:

Old America looks really cool, but I'm not sure if I want to pay $150. Texas Star seems really cheap...is it nice? My budget is probably up to $70-80. I'm playing Stevens Park on Friday with some college buddies - I'm there for a wedding but flying in a day early to get a solo round in.

I really appreciate all the advice.

There's a local magazine called Avid Golfer that rates all courses in the area. For courses on the Fort Worth side of the metroplex, they rate Texas Star #2 behind Cowboys. Here's what they have to say about Texas Star. I have never played it but it sounds like it would be well worth it.

Texas Star has, for a long time, been the gold standard when it comes to municipal golf courses, and all other cities in DFW should take note of the quality of this city-run beauty. The course winds through trees and subtle elevation changes, making every hole unique. Plus the country-style, down-home restaurant in the clubhouse is a great place to eat, whether you are playing golf or not.
    Posted:
  • pearsonifiedpearsonified Extreme enthusiast  1804Members Posts: 1,804
    Texas Star = Keith Foster = win
    Posted:
    Callaway Rogue 9.5º •• Project X HZRDUS Yellow 63g 6.5
    TM 2016 M2 3HL 16.5º •• Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 65x
    Callaway Apex 20º •• Project X EvenFlow Black Hybrid 6.5
    TaylorMade CB 4-6 •• KBS Tour R
    TaylorMade MC 7-P (34º-46º) •• KBS Tour R
    TM MG 50º/9º •• Project X LZ 5.5
    TM MG 54º/11º •• DG Wedge
    TM ATV Grind Tour Spin 60º •• KBS 105 Wedge
    TaylorMade Spider Tour Black 35"

2018 Tournament Index: 2.56 (see results)
    2018 Tournament Anti: 7.76

Current anti-handicap: 4.7

Advertisement
  • TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TX 587Members Posts: 587
    Texas Star or Cowboys seems like the best fit for you. Texas Star seems cheap because its a muni. The best course is Old American. Not cheap but the best true links course I have played in the US. Do remember it is winter in Dallas. Courses will be dormant unless they overseed. Not sure of any public's that do but you might call around.
    Posted:

Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

• JMG_02JMG_02  374Members Posts: 374
    Echoing others the nicest would probably be Cowboys club. Played it last year, and didn't think it was worth the $$ but still enjoyed it.

Texas Star is really nice, especially for the money.

I love Steven's Park especially for the price. Like others have said, it's a super charming course. Always in good condition, great views of Dallas on the back nine.

If you are willing to drive, I think Tierra Verde in Arlington is one of the best public courses in the entire DFW metroplex. I just played it last Thursday and it was in fantastic shape, greens were smooth and fast. It's a certified Audubon golf course, meaning it's gotten awards for it's preservation of the natural habitat. There are ZERO homes on this course, and most fairways are completely isolated from each other. It's a big difference from a lot of metroplex courses where you are always looking into someone's back yard.
    Posted:
    JMG_02 wrote:

Echoing others the nicest would probably be Cowboys club. Played it last year, and didn't think it was worth the $$ but still enjoyed it.

Texas Star is really nice, especially for the money.

I love Steven's Park especially for the price. Like others have said, it's a super charming course. Always in good condition, great views of Dallas on the back nine.

If you are willing to drive, I think Tierra Verde in Arlington is one of the best public courses in the entire DFW metroplex. I just played it last Thursday and it was in fantastic shape, greens were smooth and fast. It's a certified Audubon golf course, meaning it's gotten awards for it's preservation of the natural habitat. There are ZERO homes on this course, and most fairways are completely isolated from each other. It's a big difference from a lot of metroplex courses where you are always looking into someone's back yard.

I agree with JMG about Cowboys. I enjoyed playing it but I don't think it's worth what you pay even though all food and non-alcoholic beverages are included.
    Posted:
  • ZeversonZeverson DFW  224Members Posts: 224
    Easily in order:

1. Texas Star

2. Old American

4. Cowboys

Star and Cowboys are close to the airport. OA is pretty far north but right off 121 coming out of the airport. Stevens was mentioned a lot. Nice course, but probably looking at a 5 hour round. Much closer to your hotel though.
    Posted:
  • TK3TK3 TK3 Tulsa, OK 239Members Posts: 239
    Texas Star in Euless is definitely a course you should try. What I don't understand is why no one has mentioned The Tribute? It is located basically next door to the Old American and it is one of my favorite places to play when I'm in Dallas.

The Tribute is...a "Tribute to the great holes of the British Open rotation".

Great course - play it and you won't regret it. You can also find discounted T-times online for The Tribute.

Enjoy

TK
    Posted:
    My set-up:
    Bag - Sun Mountain MPB
    Driver - Ping G400 MAX with Grafalloy Blue (White)
    3 Wood - Ryoma F3 / Matrix
    5 Wood - Ping G400
    Hybrid - Rocketballz 3 hybrid
    Irons - JDM Titleist VG3 5-PW irons with Nippon Modus 3 shafts
    Wedges - Ping Glide 50* / 54* / 58*
    Putter - Scotty Cameron GoLo 33"
    Shoes - Ecco Cage
    Ball - Srixon Z Star

Advertisement
    Tribute has been in terrible shape. It’s typically very crowded. I haven’t played it with the new greens yet.
    Posted:
  • JunglelandJungleland  451Members Posts: 451
    Zeverson wrote:

Tribute has been in terrible shape. It’s typically very crowded. I haven’t played it with the new greens yet.

I never considered the Tribute to be in great shape but i also never went in expecting it to be. Last time I was in town in November I played it with the new greens and they roll very nice, course was solid for November, course was just going dormant.
    Posted:
  • SC-TX 88SC-TX 88  1065Members Posts: 1,065
    Anyone play Texas Star lately? Visiting in-laws and playing it Friday with FIL.
    Posted:
    M5 9.0 w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX tipped 1”
    M6 TI 3 (actual 14.8) w/Tensei Pro White 80 TX tipped 1.5”
    Miura MB 001 3-PW w/ PX LZ 7.0
    Vokey Indigo 452F (51 actual), Vokey SM7 Blue 54.08M (55 actual), Vokey WedgeWorks Blue 60T (52 PX LZ 6.5, 54/60 DGTI S400)
    Scotty Studio Select NP2/Taylormade Spider X
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B XS

Course dependent: P790 UDI w/ PX LZ 7.0; M5 5 wood w/Fuji Speeder 9.2 TS X

• TravelingGolfSticksTravelingGolfSticks TX 587Members Posts: 587
    Zeverson wrote:

Tribute and OA are owned by the same person but are not managed the same. The tribute is, or at least was, under contract with a company to manage operations. When OA was built, there was not a management company involved. The people who work on the course at OA do not help or work on the course at the Tribute, unless it is something major such as the flooding a few years back.
    Posted:

Don't put anything here, it will likely be taken down.

defnotapro wrote:

Zeverson wrote:

Tribute and OA are owned by the same person but are not managed the same. The tribute is, or at least was, under contract with a company to manage operations. When OA was built, there was not a management company involved. The people who work on the course at OA do not help or work on the course at the Tribute, unless it is something major such as the flooding a few years back.

OA is a phenomenal golf course IMO. I'm looking forward to watching the LPGA event there. It eats my lunch, but i still enjoy playing it.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • DivinDaveDivinDave Longview Texas 579Members Posts: 579
    Texas Star in Euless

Old American in Frisco

Heritage Ranch in Fairview

You might give TPC Craig Ranch in McKinney a call. Since your from out of town, they may well invite you out.

Same goes for Stonebridge in McKinney.
    Posted:
    Experience - What's leaned just after you needed it most
  • tnordtnord  2319Members Posts: 2,319
    i played a random round at stevens on a quick trip to Dallas and loved it. i'd absolutely go back and play it again.

what's the story with the square greens? i played by myself and didn't ask anybody inside.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
    Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
    Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
    SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
    Bettinardi BB1
    @protrajT
  • canthitathreewoodcanthitathreewood  214Members Posts: 214
    tnord wrote:
    i played a random round at stevens on a quick trip to Dallas and loved it. i'd absolutely go back and play it again.

what's the story with the square greens? i played by myself and didn't ask anybody inside.

A local told me that in the 1920’s the square greens were used for badminton and croquet on Tuesdays.
    Posted:
    Play Hard!
  • TailgaterTailgater Tailgating on the Back 9  438Members Posts: 438
    tnord wrote:

I have heard that when they were redoing the course, they were going through very old plat maps with the City of Dallas. They found the original maps and drawings and some of the holes were designed with square greens. So they thought it was a great idea to go back to that on a couple of holes. Stevens Park has a hole with a perfect view of the Dallas skyline.

I second the recommendation of Tenison Highlands for the money. Someone said this above. I agree.

Others:

Tangle Ridge

Tribute or Tour 18

Posted:
    Married to Callaway Clubs but I cheat with Nike Clubs on occasion.
    So Widespread, tell us about where you played and what you thought.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • gergy22gergy22  12Members Posts: 12
    So I am coming to dallas and frankly struggling to find a place to play. The courses seem to all be in crappy shape from what I am hearing. I have played Tribute and OA, as well as a couple rounds at Texas Star, didn't think any of them were very memorable. All good but none great. Tour 18 sounds fun but seems to be in terrible shape. Cowboys sounds cool but everyone says it isn't worth the money. Tierra Verde or Grapevine or Iron Horse maybe. I don't care about price as much as conditioning. I HATE playing courses that are in bad shape. We are staying at the Hyatt at the airport but my cousin is picking us up to play so something reasonably close would be nice. How hard is it to get on to the nice course at Stonebridge?

PS, We are playing the 8-10 of March.
    Posted:
  • tnordtnord  2319Members Posts: 2,319
    gergy22 wrote:

I HATE playing courses that are in bad shape. We are staying at the Hyatt at the airport but my cousin is picking us up to play so something reasonably close would be nice. How hard is it to get on to the nice course at Stonebridge?

PS, We are playing the 8-10 of March.

get over it.

you're playing in bermuda country in the offseason. unless you're going to find somewhere that overseeds every year, and is consequently very expensive, you're expectations are unreasonable.
    Posted:
    TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
    Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
    Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
    SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
    Bettinardi BB1
    @protrajT
  • D0ch0l1d4yD0ch0l1d4y  1080Members Posts: 1,080
    I lived on Lake Worth for a summer back in '03. I remember liking Hawks Creek quite a bit while I was down there.

http://www.hawkscreek.com/

And Bear Creek by the airport.

And Diamond Oaks if you can get on.
    Posted:

Bag set (hopefully) for at least a year. Today's date is 10/8/2019.

Driver: Taylormade M5 9* (set at Upright) - Aldila Rogue Silver 125msi 70x
    3 wood: Taylormade RBZ 15* - Grafalloy BiMatrix 80x
    Hybrid: Titleist 816 H1 19* - Diamana D+ 90x
    Driving Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI 2 @ 17* - Graphite Design AD DI 105x
    Irons: 4-PW Miura 501cb rusty (2* weak) - Dynamic gold TI X7
    GW: Callaway MD2 slate bent to 53* - KBS Ctaper 130x
    LW: Scratch 1018 DD SFU bent to 59* - KBS Ctaper 130x
    Putter: Bettinardi BB1 Copper Classic - 35" @ 68* and 1.5* loft.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.