***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION***IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT***ATTENTION

Last year, in an effort to improve the capability of our forums, we switched to new software. We expected tremendous scalability and rapid customization that would significantly improve each Member's experience across multiple devices and integrate flawlessly with social media platforms.

Unfortunately, after a significant capital expense, we have decided that the length of time and the additional cost to reach our goals make this enterprise untenable.

Thus, we have made the difficult decision to transition the forums to our original software platform. We’re excited that, in the nearly two years since we began the process of our most recent switch, our original platform has been upgraded significantly, and we are confident that the reversion will not only provide the stability that we desperately needed prior to our last move but will also return to the Membership the high level of customization that made our online community so great. We have also added technical resources to the GolfWRX staff that will allow us to build custom modules and modifications that we are confident will take the forums to the next level.

We remain the world's largest online golf community, and we still hold true to our core values and mission statement as written in 2005. Bearing both of those elements in mind, being the best and offering our Members a platform that is world-class are both requirements, not options, and it is that spirit that has motivated this decision.

So, please pardon our mess over the next five days or so while we transition the forums.

A few important notes: Current content will be accessible during that time, but the forums will be READ ONLY, and you will not be able to start new threads or reply to posts. Personal Messaging is enabled but PMs sent/received from the time the board was frozen will not carry over. We know this is inconvenient, and we apologize, and we greatly appreciate GolfWRXers bearing with us through the transition.

We are very excited about starting this next chapter for GolfWRX and getting back to the high-quality Member experience we all expect as soon as possible.

modus 105, 120, 130

 QuigleyDU ·  
QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX
Joined:  in WRX Club Techs #1
I have been looking at getting a new set and i am interested in the modus shaft. I have been reading all the past threads and i was curious if anyone had tried a set with different weights in their set. The reason i ask is because i currently play DG AMT shafts, which as you know are ascending weight shafts. 106 grams in the long irons then moving up to 135 grams in the short irons. <br />
<br />
could you do this with the modus and be successful? for example 105 modus long irons 120 mid, and 130 short? or, are they different enough animals all together that this will not work and be a complete mess?
Posted:
Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
1

Comments

  • magnus7319magnus7319 A hungry dog hunts best - Lee Trevino Members  2427WRX Points: 251Handicap: +2.2Posts: 2,427 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #2
    They are vastly different shafts, not just different weights
    Posted:
    M2 or M3 or M4 or ... M5 or SIM
    Some driving iron for Links courses
    Titleist or Mizzy Blades when I feel lucky otherwise some AP2s or Pings or z745s or Callys 
    A Vokey wedge or 2 or 3
    I love/hate every one of my 17 putters
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #3
    magnus7319 wrote:
    <br />
    They are vastly different shafts, not just different weights<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    thats what i thought, i just was not sure.
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #4
    QuigleyDU wrote:
    <br />
    I have been looking at getting a new set and i am interested in the modus shaft. I have been reading all the past threads and i was curious if anyone had tried a set with different weights in their set. The reason i ask is because i currently play DG AMT shafts, which as you know are ascending weight shafts. 106 grams in the long irons then moving up to 135 grams in the short irons.<br />
    <br />
    could you do this with the modus and be successful? for example 105 modus long irons 120 mid, and 130 short? or, are they different enough animals all together that this will not work and be a complete mess?<br />
    <br />
    In short, IMO no. Each shaft feels totally different.<br />
    <br />
    105 = light weight, pretty stiff tip (the most stiff feeling to me). Probably good for guys with butter smooth swings but still have lots of speed, or just prefer a light weight shaft in general. Beware though, the X flex is actually like 115g<br />
    <br />
    120 = mid weight shaft, medium stiff tip with a decent kick. To me feels like the mid is also medium stiffness, with a pretty stiff butt area. Also, the weight isn't 120g til you hit X flex. So X flex 105 and S flex 120 weigh the same, but the 105 IMO is actually more stiff feeling.<br />
    <br />
    130 = heavy weight shaft, soft tip with very stiff mid and butt sections. Probably a unique shaft in that it's made for hitters with speed, but it has a slightly less stiff tip so it should theoretically launch the ball pretty high. I'm guessing it's ideal for guys who are a bit more steep, with aggressive transitions and also like 125g+ steel.<br />
    <br />
    http://nipponshaft.com/product/steel_modus_105.php<br />
    <br />
    I find this table somewhat accurate. Like I said... I feel as if the 105 actually has the stiffest tip of them all. I played the 105 and the 120 now in my 4i and I prefer the 120 so much more. I actually hit the ball higher and with a little more draw with 120. 105 gave me kind of weak meh fades. The 130 I only hit in the store and I didn't like it. Very odd feel.
    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • QuigleyDUQuigleyDU Members, ClubWRX  10876WRX Points: 3,984Handicap: 8Posts: 10,876 ClubWRX
    Joined:  #5
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    QuigleyDU wrote:
    <br />
    I have been looking at getting a new set and i am interested in the modus shaft. I have been reading all the past threads and i was curious if anyone had tried a set with different weights in their set. The reason i ask is because i currently play DG AMT shafts, which as you know are ascending weight shafts. 106 grams in the long irons then moving up to 135 grams in the short irons.<br />
    <br />
    could you do this with the modus and be successful? for example 105 modus long irons 120 mid, and 130 short? or, are they different enough animals all together that this will not work and be a complete mess?<br />
    <br />
    In short, IMO no. Each shaft feels totally different.<br />
    <br />
    105 = light weight, pretty stiff tip (the most stiff feeling to me). Probably good for guys with butter smooth swings but still have lots of speed, or just prefer a light weight shaft in general. Beware though, the X flex is actually like 115g<br />
    <br />
    120 = mid weight shaft, medium stiff tip with a decent kick. To me feels like the mid is also medium stiffness, with a pretty stiff butt area. Also, the weight isn't 120g til you hit X flex. So X flex 105 and S flex 120 weigh the same, but the 105 IMO is actually more stiff feeling.<br />
    <br />
    130 = heavy weight shaft, soft tip with very stiff mid and butt sections. Probably a unique shaft in that it's made for hitters with speed, but it has a slightly less stiff tip so it should theoretically launch the ball pretty high. I'm guessing it's ideal for guys who are a bit more steep, with aggressive transitions and also like 125g+ steel.<br />
    <br />
    http://nipponshaft.c...l_modus_105.php<br />
    <br />
    I find this table somewhat accurate. Like I said... I feel as if the 105 actually has the stiffest tip of them all. I played the 105 and the 120 now in my 4i and I prefer the 120 so much more. I actually hit the ball higher and with a little more draw with 120. 105 gave me kind of weak meh fades. The 130 I only hit in the store and I didn't like it. Very odd feel.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thank you for the break down, i figured they were too different.
    Posted:
    Driver: Taylormade SIM 10.5 KBS TD 70TX
    3 iron Cobra King Utility Aldila Rouge 90 X flex
    4-PW Cobra king forged CB KBS $ Taper 130 X flex
    WEDGES; CLEVELAND RTX4: 49 and 64
    WEDGES: Titleist SM7 54 and 60 KBS tour custom matte black shafts.
    PUTTER; Kronos release long neck
    BALL; 2019 ProV1 yellow/Snell MTB-X yellow
  •  SwooshLT SwooshLT Members  7461WRX Points: 463Handicap: 5Posts: 7,461 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #6
    The 125 and 105 supposedly have exact profile just different weighting.....this could be your option.
    Posted:
  • getitdailygetitdaily Members  3814WRX Points: 718Handicap: +.5Posts: 3,814 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #7
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #8
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    If you hit S300 well... then... you don't?<br />
    <br />
    S300 isn't really the same as any of the Nippon profiles; s300 is stiff tip, stiff mid soft butt. the 105, 120 and 125 are all relatively softer in the middle than in the tip or butt, and 130 is very stiff in the mid and butt (see the link I put in my post above). C taper 130 is usually an alternative for players who like S300/X100. C Taper Lite is kiiiind of similar to modus 105, but I think it's got an even stiffer profile. In general, I find KBS shafts to have a bit stiffer mid section (less kick) than Nippon. I have a KBS Tour 120 in my alternate 50* wedge and I find it a bit more stout than my 9i/PW modus 120.<br />
    <br />
    So for you... if you love the S300 feel, it may be tough transitioning into Nippons. I think if you search hard enough on here and google, you can find the specific IE profiles for S300 vs KBS and find which are closest (search Wishon IE Profiles). My guess would be you may like C Taper or maybe even the new $ Taper, although they weigh less in S flex than S300. You could maybe soft step or 2x soft step X flex.
    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 20, 2018 #9
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were looking for a change from S300 you might pick:<br />
    - Modus 120 if you wanted something lighter with a somewhat similar feel to DG. 120 is quite stiff in the tip section and softer in the butt, so the feel is somewhat similar to DG in that you can feel the load and release, weight is around 15g less in S flex.<br />
    - Modus 130 if you wanted to stay close to DG weight with higher launch. Butt and mid section are very firm with a softer tip, weight is only about 5g less than DG in stiff. I think a PX 6.0/6.5 player would be more likely to try this shaft.<br />
    <br />
    You probably wouldn't be considering the Modus 105, unless it was in X flex.<br />
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    Also FWIW Modus 105 S has 36in CPm of 210 and modus 130 S is 232. X100 is about 229. So furthermore... modus 130 actually is not soft in the tip, it's relatively stiff and has an extremely stiff butt. The tip may feel soft to some by comparison but it's in general just a pretty stiff shaft, meant to probably compete with your X100 but still has about 10% more stiffness in the butt and middle sections than X100.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • TommyjTommyj Members  750WRX Points: 262Posts: 750 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #10
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were looking for a change from S300 you might pick:<br />
    - Modus 120 if you wanted something lighter with a somewhat similar feel to DG. 120 is quite stiff in the tip section and softer in the butt, so the feel is somewhat similar to DG in that you can feel the load and release, weight is around 15g less in S flex.<br />
    - Modus 130 if you wanted to stay close to DG weight with higher launch. Butt and mid section are very firm with a softer tip, weight is only about 5g less than DG in stiff. I think a PX 6.0/6.5 player would be more likely to try this shaft.<br />
    <br />
    You probably wouldn't be considering the Modus 105, unless it was in X flex.<br />
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    Also FWIW Modus 105 S has 36in CPm of 210 and modus 130 S is 232. X100 is about 229. So furthermore... modus 130 actually is not soft in the tip, it's relatively stiff and has an extremely stiff butt. The tip may feel soft to some by comparison but it's in general just a pretty stiff shaft, meant to probably compete with your X100 but still has about 10% more stiffness in the butt and middle sections than X100.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    OK, you're right and I'm wrong. OP, please disregard any comments in my previous post.
    Posted:
  • TPG1971TPG1971 Don't Get Rolled Members  999WRX Points: 111Posts: 999 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #11
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were looking for a change from S300 you might pick:<br />
    - Modus 120 if you wanted something lighter with a somewhat similar feel to DG. 120 is quite stiff in the tip section and softer in the butt, so the feel is somewhat similar to DG in that you can feel the load and release, weight is around 15g less in S flex.<br />
    - Modus 130 if you wanted to stay close to DG weight with higher launch. Butt and mid section are very firm with a softer tip, weight is only about 5g less than DG in stiff. I think a PX 6.0/6.5 player would be more likely to try this shaft.<br />
    <br />
    You probably wouldn't be considering the Modus 105, unless it was in X flex.<br />
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    Also FWIW Modus 105 S has 36in CPm of 210 and modus 130 S is 232. X100 is about 229. So furthermore... modus 130 actually is not soft in the tip, it's relatively stiff and has an extremely stiff butt. The tip may feel soft to some by comparison but it's in general just a pretty stiff shaft, meant to probably compete with your X100 but still has about 10% more stiffness in the butt and middle sections than X100.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Ziggy, do you know anything about the Ping AWT 2.0 shafts? If you do can I inbox you a question?
    Posted:
    PING G410 LST Mitsubishi CK Orange
    PING G410 19* Hybrid Mitsubishi CK Pro Blue 80 Stiff
    PING I200 4-PW Red Dot KBS C-Taper R110
    PING Glide 2.0 Stealth Red Dot AWT Wedge Flex
    RTX-3 54 bent to 55 DG Ti Onyx S400
    Wilson Staff PMP 58* DG S200
    Ping Anser2 
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2038WRX Points: 171Posts: 2,038 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #12
    I recently had the chance to hit the modus 105, 120, and 130 S flex respectively at Carl’s Golf Land in Michigan on an outdoor range along with PX5.5 and PX6.0 in a P790 7 Iron fitting head. <br />
    <br />
    I noticed that the 105 felt lighter than I like for my irons in general and the ball flight was mid piercing. It was ok compared to my former gamers PX6.0 SS1X<br />
    <br />
    Then the 120 and like that it had a little more perceivable heft but was so smooth and the flight seemed to be a little higher with for sure more distance than the 105. I was just about sold until...<br />
    <br />
    I hit the 130 and could not believe what I was seeing and feeling. A touch more buttery (maybe this is the tip soft section working on the release) than the 120 and the flight was the highest of the three with interchangable distance of the 120. I also noticed how the 130 for my SS, was the most consistent and allowed me to keep the best tempo. <br />
    <br />
    In the end I decided on the 130S for my new TM P790 4-GW and had a 120S put into my Mizuno S18 56 SW.<br />
    <br />
    This was for me an exercise on hitting the shafts on a real ball flight range to dial in feel. I hit at least 20 balls with each shaft and glad I did. Good luck to the OP
    Posted:

    TM SIM MAX 10.5/ ACCRA TZ6 65M4/ GP TW White
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX919T 4-PW/ Nippon SPO S/ Pure Wrap BLK
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK (BACK UP)
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made Spider Ghost CS/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC
    Special Thanks to Mark and Center Cut Custom Golf for all of the builds and fitting time!

  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members  2142WRX Points: 98Posts: 2,142 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #13
    The cpms of the modus 120 is irrelevant due to its very unique profile. <br />
    <br />
    Modus 120s perform very differently for different players. For me its an extremely low launch super high spin shaft. <br />
    <br />
    The modus 105 and modus 125 are meant to be the same profile just different weight. They were designed for the DG X100 player profile. They are almost identical to DGs except the profile is a touch smoother in that its mid is a bit softer then DG but it has a stiffer Tip. <br />
    <br />
    Modus 130 is also unique but kinda PX performance. Modus 130s feel great. But they are fairly high launch low spin. They were too low spin for me even in an S flex. And im 94mph with a 6i.
    Posted:
    Driver
    TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • klbcecklbcec Members  586WRX Points: 122Posts: 586 Golden Tee
    Joined:  #14
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    I went from the S300 to the 105. Why? Because I recently turned 53 and my swing speed is down a few mph.<br />
    <br />
    I find the feel of 105's very simlar to the S300's. I don't like the feel of the KBS or Project X - they feel mushy to me.<br />
    <br />
    I found the 105's to have a slightly higher ball flight than the S300's and a few yards longer.
    Posted:
  • Go_TimeGo_Time Members  2621WRX Points: 334Posts: 2,621 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #15
    What would be recommended to try from someone coming from PX 6.5 and 100mph+ 6 iron?
    Posted:
  • andrieddleandrieddle Members  1844WRX Points: 112Posts: 1,844 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #16
    As others have pointed out I got along so much better with 120, didn't get along with the 105 at all. It felt really heavy.
    Posted:
    TM M3 (10.5)
    Cobra King LTD 3W
    Callaway XR 5W (19)
    Cobra Fly Z+ 4-P

    Bridgestone J15 (50)
    Callaway MD2 (56/60)
    TM SpiderX Navy/White
  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members  2142WRX Points: 98Posts: 2,142 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #17
    Go_Time wrote:
    <br />
    What would be recommended to try from someone coming from PX 6.5 and 100mph+ 6 iron?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Modus 130 Stiff HS or Modus 130 X SS. Unless youre a super high spin guy. Then maybe modus 130 x straight.
    Posted:
    Driver
    TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #18
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were looking for a change from S300 you might pick:<br />
    - Modus 120 if you wanted something lighter with a somewhat similar feel to DG. 120 is quite stiff in the tip section and softer in the butt, so the feel is somewhat similar to DG in that you can feel the load and release, weight is around 15g less in S flex.<br />
    - Modus 130 if you wanted to stay close to DG weight with higher launch. Butt and mid section are very firm with a softer tip, weight is only about 5g less than DG in stiff. I think a PX 6.0/6.5 player would be more likely to try this shaft.<br />
    <br />
    You probably wouldn't be considering the Modus 105, unless it was in X flex.<br />
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    Also FWIW Modus 105 S has 36in CPm of 210 and modus 130 S is 232. X100 is about 229. So furthermore... modus 130 actually is not soft in the tip, it's relatively stiff and has an extremely stiff butt. The tip may feel soft to some by comparison but it's in general just a pretty stiff shaft, meant to probably compete with your X100 but still has about 10% more stiffness in the butt and middle sections than X100.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    OK, you're right and I'm wrong. OP, please disregard any comments in my previous post.<br />
    <br />
    Wasn't meant to be a dig but people should just know that relatively speaking, the modus 120 doesn't have a very stiff tip compared to other shafts in that mid to higher end weight class.
    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • Z1ggy16Z1ggy16 Members  9791WRX Points: 1,674Posts: 9,791 Titanium Tees
    Joined:  #19
    TPG1971 wrote:
    <br />
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    Tommyj wrote:
    <br />
    getitdaily wrote:
    <br />
    Who has moved to these or kbs shafts from an s300? Why would I want to change from s300?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    If you were looking for a change from S300 you might pick:<br />
    - Modus 120 if you wanted something lighter with a somewhat similar feel to DG. 120 is quite stiff in the tip section and softer in the butt, so the feel is somewhat similar to DG in that you can feel the load and release, weight is around 15g less in S flex.<br />
    - Modus 130 if you wanted to stay close to DG weight with higher launch. Butt and mid section are very firm with a softer tip, weight is only about 5g less than DG in stiff. I think a PX 6.0/6.5 player would be more likely to try this shaft.<br />
    <br />
    You probably wouldn't be considering the Modus 105, unless it was in X flex.<br />
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    Also FWIW Modus 105 S has 36in CPm of 210 and modus 130 S is 232. X100 is about 229. So furthermore... modus 130 actually is not soft in the tip, it's relatively stiff and has an extremely stiff butt. The tip may feel soft to some by comparison but it's in general just a pretty stiff shaft, meant to probably compete with your X100 but still has about 10% more stiffness in the butt and middle sections than X100.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Ziggy, do you know anything about the Ping AWT 2.0 shafts? If you do can I inbox you a question?<br />
    <br />
    Sorry, have never gamed those.
    Posted:
    D - SIM Max 9* Ventus Black 6x
    4w - SIM Ti Diamana B 80x
    5w - Speedzone FX 2.0 380 or Speedzone 4i Modus 105x
    Irons - P760 4-PW | Modus 120x
    Glide 3.0 50/54/58 S400 Tour Issue
    Spider X or Huntington Beach #1 or Toulon San Diego
    Ball - BXS


  • soulcicciasoulciccia Members  191WRX Points: 4Posts: 191 Bunkers
    Joined:  #20
    Go_Time wrote:
    <br />
    What would be recommended to try from someone coming from PX 6.5 and 100mph+ 6 iron?<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    modus 130 are similar to px...<br />
    I would say 130x ssx1 or ssx2. I tried them straight and they are the stoutest iron shaft I ever tried..even more than px 7.0.
    Posted:
    D callaway razr fit xtreme 9,5° w/ px blue 6.5
    W titleist 906 f2 15° w/ aldila nv 95x
    di titleist 503h 19° w/ dg x100
    i ping s56 #4-pw w/ dg x100
    w ping tour-s 52.12-56.12-60.ts w/ dg s400
    p odyssey white hot 2ball
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2038WRX Points: 171Posts: 2,038 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  edited Jul 22, 2018 #21
    FWIW I went with the 130S straight in my P790 heads and feel like from a stiffness standpoint, that they are pretty darn close to the feeling of PX6.0 SS1x. They have a “smoother” feel for me on the long irons and feel “tighter” on the short irons than my beloved PX6.0’s SS1x for the last 5-6 years. Oh I did play half 1/2 a season with DGX100 straight in and the other half of last season with PXLZ5.5 HS1x which I never loved the weight of and the Modus 130S felt less stiff than the X100’s to me and as smooth if not smoother than the PXLZ5.5 HS1x. <br />
    <br />
    My SS with 7iron -1/2” is 93-95mph and the Driver SS is 108-110mph. To add I did go with the Modus 120S in my SW to help with apex and flight.<br />
    <br />
    I think if you were to do this lighter long irons to heavier wedges, you could do the following for great results:<br />
    <br />
    Long Irons go Modus 105<br />
    Mid Irons go Modus 125<br />
    Wedges go Modus 130 SS1x to flex above <br />
    <br />
    I think those are the closest in terms of feel and construction and really the only way I see to do a “Modus AMT” set up.
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on

    TM SIM MAX 10.5/ ACCRA TZ6 65M4/ GP TW White
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX919T 4-PW/ Nippon SPO S/ Pure Wrap BLK
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK (BACK UP)
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made Spider Ghost CS/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC
    Special Thanks to Mark and Center Cut Custom Golf for all of the builds and fitting time!

  • MilesVJacksonMilesVJackson Members  65WRX Points: 40Posts: 65 Bunkers
    Joined:  #22
    Z1ggy16 wrote:
    <br />
    Modus 120 is actually not that tip stiff - Go look at it's EI profile vs other shafts in that general weight category.<br />
    <br />
    https://www.google.c...-1uq8388oSyOuM:<br />
    <br />
    R300 (less stiff than S300): 36in (the tip area) CPM - 208<br />
    S300 - 222<br />
    Modus 120 S - 207<br />
    <br />
    So, this is a bit of a simple blanket statement but... stiff flex modus 120 has about the same stiffness in the tip as an R flex in the Dynamic Gold.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Those are the numbers for the butt cpm, not the tip. The tip cpm is the 11 in column. The modus 120 is pretty tip stiff compared to the other nippon shafts in the graph.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad
    Joined:  ...

    Advertisement
  • jasonp87jasonp87 Members  2142WRX Points: 98Posts: 2,142 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #23
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    <br />
    FWIW I went with the 130S straight in my P790 heads and feel like from a stiffness standpoint, that they are pretty darn close to the feeling of PX6.0 SS1x. They have a “smoother” feel for me on the long irons and feel “tighter” on the short irons than my beloved PX6.0’s SS1x for the last 5-6 years. Oh I did play half 1/2 a season with DGX100 straight in and the other half of last season with PXLZ5.5 HS1x which I never loved the weight of and the Modus 130S felt less stiff than the X100’s to me and as smooth if not smoother than the PXLZ5.5 HS1x. <br />
    <br />
    My SS with 7iron -1/2” is 93-95mph and the Driver SS is 108-110mph. To add I did go with the Modus 120S in my SW to help with apex and flight.<br />
    <br />
    I think if you were to do this lighter long irons to heavier wedges, you could do the following for great results:<br />
    <br />
    Long Irons go Modus 105<br />
    Mid Irons go Modus 125<br />
    Wedges go Modus 130 SS1x to flex above <br />
    <br />
    I think those are the closest in terms of feel and construction and really the only way I see to do a “Modus AMT” set up.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sorry not to be mean but do not do this. The modus shafts are all very different except for the 105 and 125. <br />
    <br />
    Its like saying make a AMT set by going PXI long irons, C Taper Lite Mid, and then DG short. <br />
    <br />
    Posted:
    Driver
    TM M6 (9) Fujikura Pro 2.0 TS 6X 45"
    3W
    TM M3 (16) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 43.25"
    5W
    TM M3 (19) Fujikura Atmos Red Tour Spec 7X 42.25"
    3i
    TM TP UDI (20.5) Dynamic Gold X100
    Irons
    Mizuno MP4 (4-PW) Modus 3 125X
    Wedges---TM Milled Grind Modus 3 125X (48) & TM Hi-Toe (54)(60) Modus 3 125 Wedge
    Putter
    TM Spider Tour Black (DJ) 34" SS Pistol GTR
  • evoviiiyouevoviiiyou evoviiiyou Members  2038WRX Points: 171Posts: 2,038 Platinum Tees
    Joined:  #24
    jasonp87 wrote:
    <br />
    evoviiiyou wrote:
    <br />
    FWIW I went with the 130S straight in my P790 heads and feel like from a stiffness standpoint, that they are pretty darn close to the feeling of PX6.0 SS1x. They have a "smoother" feel for me on the long irons and feel "tighter" on the short irons than my beloved PX6.0's SS1x for the last 5-6 years. Oh I did play half 1/2 a season with DGX100 straight in and the other half of last season with PXLZ5.5 HS1x which I never loved the weight of and the Modus 130S felt less stiff than the X100's to me and as smooth if not smoother than the PXLZ5.5 HS1x. <br />
    <br />
    My SS with 7iron -1/2" is 93-95mph and the Driver SS is 108-110mph. To add I did go with the Modus 120S in my SW to help with apex and flight.<br />
    <br />
    I think if you were to do this lighter long irons to heavier wedges, you could do the following for great results:<br />
    <br />
    Long Irons go Modus 105<br />
    Mid Irons go Modus 125<br />
    Wedges go Modus 130 SS1x to flex above<br />
    <br />
    I think those are the closest in terms of feel and construction and really the only way I see to do a "Modus AMT" set up.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Sorry not to be mean but do not do this. The modus shafts are all very different except for the 105 and 125.<br />
    <br />
    Its like saying make a AMT set by going PXI long irons, C Taper Lite Mid, and then DG short.<br />
    <br />
    <br />
    Thanks for your post. Your response is right on with the shafts which is why I listed the 105's and 125's which other than weight have a very similar profile and then the 130's which on wedges felt similar to me with as scosh higher flight than the 125's on full swings and almost identical other than weight on chipping and qtr swings. <br />
    <br />
    Analogy logic is sound but end sum I disagree with you as you are comparing different brands. I would agree with PXI Long Irons, PX LZ Mid, and PX short.
    Posted:

    TM SIM MAX 10.5/ ACCRA TZ6 65M4/ GP TW White
    Mizuno CLK 16/ Nippon Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX FliHi 19/ Modus Tour 130S/ GP TW White
    Mizuno JPX919T 4-PW/ Nippon SPO S/ Pure Wrap BLK
    Taylor Made P790 4-PW/ Modus Tour 130S/ PURE Wrap BLK (BACK UP)
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 51/08/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap BLK
    Mizuno S18 Wedge 56/06/ PXLZ 5.5/ PURE Wrap WHT
    Taylor Made Spider Ghost CS/ Satin Black Conti Golf/ Super Stroke Slim CC
    Special Thanks to Mark and Center Cut Custom Golf for all of the builds and fitting time!

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.