McIlroy and the European Tour

MattyO1984

Seems like the right mindset. Hes not saying he won't add more events post-august, more just focusing on the part of the season that matters most. Potentially losing a captaincy 20yrs from now should matter much to him in comparison to being fresh to compete now. If the Euro Tour wants to leverage their control of the Ryder Cup into forcing players to play events, its understandable, but if they denied Rory a captaincy over this it'd arguably hurt them more than it would Rory, losing a high profile captain like Rory would be a hit not just for the player for the team Europe as well. Sounds like he's got his priorities right. He'll probably end up adding events later, but hes waiting to see how he feels first. But even if he doesn't, if he feels fresher and wins a major, he will never regret it for moment.

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

The real caddie argument is really stupid. No one rips DJ for having Austin on the bag.

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

The bottom line is there is a TONNE of money in sports these days. A modern luxury that didn't exist not that long ago

So more and more players are adopting the "why kill yourself flying and traveling around constantly when you don't need to?" mentality

I get it. Travel blows with a young family, new marriage etc

If I am Rory I am focused on getting to 10 majors and getting a win at ANGC for the career grand slam. All else on the side is gravy

Dear RORS. Go work with Crenshaw and become a die speed putter. Go work with a new wedge expert so your iron game from inside 150 matches your driver prowess

Money, like education, affords people the ability to make better choices.

Indeed! But these days a degree in skateboarding or Gender Studies only get you a job at Starbucks, lol....

College is not what it used to be.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

I'm sure that schedule will fill up as the offseason goes along.

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Could be completely wrong though.

Agree 100% with all of this. From reading the interview it sounded like he might add a few more tournaments later in the year beyond the two he's already committed to. Whether or not that's enough to keep his Euro Tour membership didn't sound like it would affect his decision process one way or the other.

As to the second part, he's been clear in interviews that he doesn't have being the greatest of all time as his goal, and he's mentioned Tiger's life under the microscope specifically in that context. I have heard him say that his goal is to retire as the greatest European golfer. If you look at the careers of Faldo and Seve I'd say that age 29 Rory is more than half way there. That's pretty freaking good for a 29 year old who seems to be very happy with his work/life balance.

Rory will be fine. Last year he broke a rib, got married, and changed equipment companies twice. That's an awful lot going on, and he was still pretty good (#7 in OWGR, #6 for the year in total SG on the PGA Tour). It wouldn't surprise me to see him have a big 2019.

I know you are a big Rory fan and I love to watch him play as well.

I don't think he was ever destined to be the greatest ever. As much as he can destroy a course tee to green, to be GOAT in golf you need to be a great putter. Rory has generally been 80th or worse in SG Putting and is often ranked 100th or much higher. Last year, he was 141st, that's crazy.

Not surprising, when he won 2 majors in 2014, he had a particularly good year putting, maybe his best, at 41st is SG Putting.

Great player with a ball striking game so good, he can still win big, but never a good enough putter to be the best of all time.

If Rory is serious about his golf game and contending in major championships again, he needs to take the route DJ did. From where his tee shots end, he has to be one of the worst players I've ever seen. Also, since Billy Foster has split with Westwood, Rory should hire him. I believe an experienced caddie can make a huge difference.

Totally agree with the Billy Foster statement (even though you do have that badge as your avatar)

The real caddie argument is really stupid. No one rips DJ for having Austin on the bag.

Do you think DJ wins as much as he should?

Can you imagine Spieth without Grellar

For some players it doesn't matter who caddie's for them, but for some i think it does

Ping G425 LST 9*

Cobra LTDx LS 14.5*

Cobra SZ 17* hybrid

Ping G425 Crossover 3

Ping I500 5-PW

Ping I210 UW

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

Odyssey OG Rossie "Rahm"

Austin seems to have come into his own more than Harry though to this point. Don't think either are exactly stellar caddies by any means, of course. DJ and Austin seem to also have a better dynamic between them with some actual ability to talk DJ off of something than Rory and Harry with Rors saying he wants to make all the choices his own.

But part of me wonders - just a tiny bit - if he looks at what Tiger has gone through and says nah, thats not for me. I've made $150M (my guess - ~ $80M in career earnings and about that off?) in my career on and off the course, I'm 29, I'm happy with the way things are. Am I going to kill myself flying all over the world just to retain my Euro Tour card?

Not saying he's going to walk away from golf altogether. But if I made a list of young guys that I would say would be happy with what they've accomplished/made and might start focussing on life off the course? He'd at least be on the list.

Agree 100% with all of this. From reading the interview it sounded like he might add a few more tournaments later in the year beyond the two he's already committed to. Whether or not that's enough to keep his Euro Tour membership didn't sound like it would affect his decision process one way or the other.

As to the second part, he's been clear in interviews that he doesn't have being the greatest of all time as his goal, and he's mentioned Tiger's life under the microscope specifically in that context. I have heard him say that his goal is to retire as the greatest European golfer. If you look at the careers of Faldo and Seve I'd say that age 29 Rory is more than half way there. That's pretty freaking good for a 29 year old who seems to be very happy with his work/life balance.

Rory will be fine. Last year he broke a rib, got married, and changed equipment companies twice. That's an awful lot going on, and he was still pretty good (#7 in OWGR, #6 for the year in total SG on the PGA Tour). It wouldn't surprise me to see him have a big 2019.

I know you are a big Rory fan and I love to watch him play as well.

I don't think he was ever destined to be the greatest ever. As much as he can destroy a course tee to green, to be GOAT in golf you need to be a great putter. Rory has generally been 80th or worse in SG Putting and is often ranked 100th or much higher. Last year, he was 141st, that's crazy.

Not surprising, when he won 2 majors in 2014, he had a particularly good year putting, maybe his best, at 41st is SG Putting.

Great player with a ball striking game so good, he can still win big, but never a good enough putter to be the best of all time.

Agree. It’s good that his goals aren’t unreasonable. He was never headed to be the greatest ever. Never ever putted or had that type short game. He’s not bad. But to be in that conversation you’re talking melting Phil / DJ together and adding in spieths ability to take a punch. It’s a 3 headed monster at least. Rory is just Rory. Good. But never been on that trajectory.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I am an American, but I have spent a lot of time in Europe. The ET is a joke compared to the PGA Tour. It's a development tour. Every good Euro grows up to play the PGA Tour. They should call the Euro Tour the World Tour considering how many events are in Asia and the Middle East. It's a development tour between Web and the PGA. They should argue for winner exemptions to the PGA and drop the RC requirements all together. The fact that they still have to offer appearance money tells you something.

Truly, Aussie events in the fall have gained popularity, true links events in the UK during the summer will always be popular. Drop the middle East events, keep Asia, and accept your lot.

Rory went through the same hype that Champ is going through, and now that he's older and his priorities have changed, people like me expects more.

But I do understand his approach, it is his life.

Please, get rid of the constipated look.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)

I am an American, but I have spent a lot of time in Europe. The ET is a joke compared to the PGA Tour. It's a development tour. Every good Euro grows up to play the PGA Tour. They should call the Euro Tour the World Tour considering how many events are in Asia and the Middle East. It's a development tour between Web and the PGA. They should argue for winner exemptions to the PGA and drop the RC requirements all together. The fact that they still have to offer appearance money tells you something.

Truly, Aussie events in the fall have gained popularity, true links events in the UK during the summer will always be popular. Drop the middle East events, keep Asia, and accept your lot.

Blah!

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

The European Tour helped Koepka get to three majors, helped Molinari this year and helped himself win majors.

He won a major in a year he had no PGA Tour membership if I remember.

So not necessarily looking out for his game but for his bank account (Fed Ex goes up to $15m this year).

If he is skipping Dubai there's no reason he couldn't play Irish or Scottish, Omega Masters, Wentworth and Dubai. Wouldn't be hard at all and it would have no impact on his PGA Tour season. And he could still have 20 weeks off or however many he has.

The 'I'll come back for the Ryder Cup' comment was selfish, what suits me.

If you want to be the greatest European golfer, you don't skip the European Tour when you only have to play 4 measly events in 12 months. Seve has 50 wins and Faldo was a stalwart, if you want to be the best European golfer you don't ditch your own tour in my opinion.

The European Tour helped Koepka get to three majors, helped Molinari this year and helped himself win majors.

He won a major in a year he had no PGA Tour membership if I remember.

So not necessarily looking out for his game but for his bank account (Fed Ex goes up to $15m this year).

If he is skipping Dubai there's no reason he couldn't play Irish or Scottish, Omega Masters, Wentworth and Dubai. Wouldn't be hard at all and it would have no impact on his PGA Tour season. And he could still have 20 weeks off or however many he has.

The 'I'll come back for the Ryder Cup' comment was selfish, what suits me.

If you want to be the greatest European golfer, you don't skip the European Tour when you only have to play 4 measly events in 12 months. Seve has 50 wins and Faldo was a stalwart, if you want to be the best European golfer you don't ditch your own tour in my opinion.

First of all, Rory doesn't need the money, and, forgetting the FedEx Cup money for a moment, has done very very little in the way of chasing appearance fees, unlike some other top players I could name (cough*Tiger*cough). Heck, Rory got in trouble a few years back when he said the $10m FedEx prize didn't mean much to him! People were on here ripping him a new one about that, lol.

Secondly, he didn't say he wanted to be the greatest European Tour player. He said he wanted to be the greatest European golfer. That means playing against the best, which by and large mean a limited schedule on the Euro tour. Here's a quote from his interview: "I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week in and week out, and for the most part of the season that is in America." I don't see how anyone can argue against that.

No one loved Seve more than me, but when it comes to ranking him among the all time greats he gets dinged for running up his win totals in minor tournaments against inferior competition, and rightly so. He played very little in America, and he spent a lot of time chasing appearance fees all over the globe. People complained about that at the time, now people are complaining about Rory doing the opposite.

Seve, Nick and the rest of them back in the 80s and 90s did not have the WGCs and had to commit to the PGA Tour full time to get membership. You couldn't play both tours back then. If they were around today, their schedules would look very similar to the top European players now. They might all have a "home base" in Florida too as strange as that sounds.

Guy seems lost imho. Pitty.
Why, because he's not obsessed and giving 110%, 365/24/7? I think Rory knows there is more to life. Seems to me he is making choices based on the lifestyle he wants to live. That's a guy who is anything but lost. If anyone is lost, it's Jordan S.

always speaking the truth..

Driver: Paradym 3D Ventus black TR 6x

3 wood: Paradym 3d Ventus black TR 7x

19 degree UW: Ventus black TR 8x

Mizuno Pro Fli Hi 4 utility Hazrdus black 90 6.5 X

5 -PW: Callaway Apex MB, KBS $ taper 130X

Wedges - Jaws raw 50, 54, 59 KBS $ taper 130x

Putter- Mutant Wilson Staff 8802 with stroke lab shaft
BALL; Chrome Soft X

Rory mentioned in his presser that decision time isn't really until May, two months before the "true European Tour" season launches. I'm going to agree with those that think this is a little overblown and that he is merely considering dropping membership. I think not getting to be a future captain and not earning ANY Ryder Cup points in 2019 will cause him to correct course.

He's currently down for either the Irish or Scottish Open plus the OMEGA Masters for his sponsor the week after the Tour Championship. The BMW PGA is three weeks after that. If he decided that is his last trip across the ocean for the year, then he just needs to add the Dunhill Links the next week to get to four. He could also gamble on having enough points to make the final and make the DP World Championship number four.

You have to wonder how many of the top European players are going to show up on their home tour this year beyond the bare minimum. I think they snuck in that Ryder Cup captain rule because they knew the off years were going to be bleak and didn't want anyone to fully skip a season.

I don't think they can drop the Middle East events they are the ones paying the big money. Abu Dhabi is now a Rolex event and the new tournament in Saudi Arabia offered Tiger over $3,000,000 to show up.

It is always funny when people blast American players for not coming over to Europe to play their tour's big events when the European Tour can't even get their own top players to show up. For example, Francesco Molinari skipping the first two events of the European Tour playoffs.

Rory mentioned in his presser that decision time isn't really until May, two months before the "true European Tour" season launches. I'm going to agree with those that think this is a little overblown and that he is merely considering dropping membership. I think not getting to be a future captain and not earning ANY Ryder Cup points in 2019 will cause him to correct course.

He's currently down for either the Irish or Scottish Open plus the OMEGA Masters for his sponsor the week after the Tour Championship. The BMW PGA is three weeks after that. If he decided that is his last trip across the ocean for the year, then he just needs to add the Dunhill Links the next week to get to four. He could also gamble on having enough points to make the final and make the DP World Championship number four.

You have to wonder how many of the top European players are going to show up on their home tour this year beyond the bare minimum. I think they snuck in that Ryder Cup captain rule because they knew the off years were going to be bleak and didn't want anyone to fully skip a season.

Right, he has plenty of time to add events, and odds are probably good that he will. he won't miss the Ryder Cup in 2020 over this because he can add events then (points don't matter when you are a lock to be picked), the captaincy is 20yrs away so not a big tradeoff right now, the biggest snub here is ultimately just that hes admitting the ET is a second thought for him. Some won't like to hear that said outloud even if its how most players actually feel.

Perhaps longterm tho the ET can make this sort of attitude work in their favor. Just admit that from march-august you will be second choice and work hard on making the tour more appealing to players like Rory from September - February. The PGAT moving up the fedex and pga championship crimps the ET schedule in the spring/summer, but the flip side of that is it presents an opportunity for the ET to really focus on the other months. Yes, those are less traditional golf months in Europe, but its still an opportunity overall.

Could it be another example of Rory bumping his gums without thinking about what's coming out or how it could be interpreted?

I've not seen or read anything but he tends to talk himself into a headline when left to his own devices.

Golf at the Olympics was a waste of time so he wouldn't watch it, Majors don't matter any more, The Open is dictated too much by weather and he'd rather play in 80 degree sunshine, the Ryder Cup is just an exhibition that doesn't mean anything...the list goes on. He's had to walk back every one but the fact he's said it in the first place probably belies some of his true feelings.

He's maybe not thought his words through and the media have latched onto it because, on the face of it, potentially lapsing his ET membership is a huge deal.

Interested to see what comes out from his camp over the next week or so.

My take on Rory.

When he's "on, there are few that can keep pace. Incredible swing, and does have a complete game. Room to clean some things up. He seems to have

a "give up" emotional side, when things don't go well, or has some bad breaks. He needs to get that Pit-bull, never give in mentality. Like who he pulled out and gave the lame Oral Surgery excuse. To his credit, he owned up to that, and apologized. Is he hungry enough? Time will tell. Amazing talent!

The one negative I see with Rors is he seems to mentally check out if things don't go his way ... like him missing the short eagle on 2 at The Masters in Rd 4. He handed that title to PR

Ping G400 LST 10.6* Ventus Black TR 5x

Ping G400 5w 16.5* G Design AD IZ 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* G Design AD DI 6x 

Ping G425 4h 23* Blueboard HY 80x

Ping i210 6i - 7i & s55 8i - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*ES, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

I failed to tie my point back to the original post on this thread. Rory may not have the killer drive ( I certainly might be wrong) needed to win more than he has. That said, He may be fat n happy enough, and his schedule might mirror that. If so, a bit of talent lot on the table. This is after all, an opinion Board.

I'd like to see what he could do with some hunger and desire.

I failed to tie my point back to the original post on this thread. Rory may not have the killer drive ( I certainly might be wrong) needed to win more than he has. That said, He may be fat n happy enough, and his schedule might mirror that. If so, a bit of talent lot on the table. This is after all, an opinion Board.

I'd like to see what he could do with some hunger and desire.

It's been said many times, myself included, he's phoned in so many rounds it's untrue.

If I have a glaring weakness in my game, I go to the range and figure it out. If I can't I go and see my coach and get their input. I then work on it as much as I can to get it to a point where it's not destroying my round. And I'm not on Tour or saying for millions I just have the desire to improve on or fix it if I can so that regardless of what happens during a round or a comp, I don't miss out because of something I couldn't be bothered addressing. Other people win, fine because I did everything I could.

For all the talent, time and resources he has, to consistently miss putts low and miss greens from 120 yards beggars belief.

Now there is an element on here that are appalled that an opinion is given about a professional golfer on a public golf forum if it's not theirs.

But it's a valid observation that he's not leaving it all out on the course, that he's distracted.

If he's fat and happy then fair play, he could be honest and say as much. It would put an end the the speculation and the questions about form that he hates so much.

I still think, as I mentioned above, he's been waffling about his schedule not realising 1) what he's said and 2) how everyone is going to speculate until he clarifies his position as he does after every gaffe.

Could it be another example of Rory bumping his gums without thinking about what's coming out or how it could be interpreted?

I've not seen or read anything but he tends to talk himself into a headline when left to his own devices.

Golf at the Olympics was a waste of time so he wouldn't watch it, Majors don't matter any more, The Open is dictated too much by weather and he'd rather play in 80 degree sunshine, the Ryder Cup is just an exhibition that doesn't mean anything...the list goes on. He's had to walk back every one but the fact he's said it in the first place probably belies some of his true feelings.

He's maybe not thought his words through and the media have latched onto it because, on the face of it, potentially lapsing his ET membership is a huge deal.

Interested to see what comes out from his camp over the next week or so.

Lol, that he has definitely mastered.

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Srixon Q-Star Tour 

I don't think they can drop the Middle East events they are the ones paying the big money. Abu Dhabi is now a Rolex event and the new tournament in Saudi Arabia offered Tiger over $3,000,000 to show up.

It is always funny when people blast American players for not coming over to Europe to play their tour's big events when the European Tour can't even get their own top players to show up. For example, Francesco Molinari skipping the first two events of the European Tour playoffs.

I know nixing the Middle East events would be a tough bandaid to tear off, but it's bad optics. Poverty makes the decadence seem worse, especially in a desert. Freedom of the press, gender issues, and distribution of wealth make players weary about taking the money. I honestly think this why Tiger left the 3 large on the table.

Limited field invitationals on the world's greatest links courses. Historic national opens. Plus, the sandbelt gems and development events in Asia and Africa. Then leave the rest to the Yanks. ET should base their schedule to peak in PGA off season.

Great to see all the second guessing. The PGA rescheduling has forced his hand and all but made the European tour a waste of time. It doesn't start til July for all intents and purposes. Probably deliberate.

Pretty much. And if the ET plays it right in the future, this a schedule opening to create a more enticing fall schedule. Now that BMW moves to September and isnt right before the memorial (or any PGA event for that matter, much less Jack's tourney), it will be more enticing to a lot of PGA guys, many of whom would rather play the memorial and don't want the travel right before. Even with this statement, seems like there's a good chance Rory makes that same decision later in the year.

Maybe Rory Jr. is on the way!

Also,

“I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week-in and week-out and for the most part of the season that is in America. If I want to continue to contend in the majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do.

https://www.belfastt...p-37523457.html

was thinking his wife might be pregs, also ...

gonna go out on a limb and say rory will do what he thinks is best for his golf game and life balance ...

Maybe Rory Jr. is on the way!

Also,

“I guess my thing is that I want to play against the strongest fields week-in and week-out and for the most part of the season that is in America. If I want to continue to contend in the majors and to continue my journey back towards the top of the game, then that’s what I want to do.

https://www.belfastt...p-37523457.html

was thinking his wife might be pregs, also ...

gonna go out on a limb and say rory will do what he thinks is best for his golf game and life balance ...

RM gonna have like 10 kids.

That way

At least one Mcilroy is bound to win a Masters ; )