Gary Players says don't bother with 5 iron use the 5 hybrid instead

Lamb

I will say this and it is strictly MHO and not etched in stone or anything--- If a lot of folks that have problems elevating 4 and 5 irons would take those clubs and go to a graphite or light steel soft tipped shaft they could elevate and hit the ball with longer irons. Doing this especially with GI irons with a low CG will elevate the ball a lot. For a while I built a lot of Infiniti Assure 4 and 5 irons for some of the seniors around here with A flex 80 gram and lighter graphite shafts. That Infiniti is a component GI iron with a huge CB and huge flange. On some of them I did not tip the shaft either. I am not saying shaft all your clubs that way just the long irons. At 61 I am still hitting long irons but the catch is i am hitting soft tipped senior flex steel shafts in 2 sets and 85 gram graphite in the other set. Just food for thought

Interesting thought/observation.

I was hitting a Ping G25 with a CFS R-flex shaft (apx 100 grams, pretty soft), but the results were still hit or miss.

Most likely, I just suck (haven't found an equipment fix for that flaw yet...)

I bet if you went to a 80 gram graphite not tipped butt cut to length you could get those 25s up better than you think. Hireko has some of those cheap graphite iron shafts about $10 or so each. Those were what I was doing the Infiniti conversions with

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* TT Sensicore S-400

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tried a G5 5 hybrid...hit moon balls that were short. Was not consistent with it...very bad fit for me. I could see a 5 Srixon U65 or u85 witb modus 105s making it in the bag though.

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

Easy to say for someone who's 107 tears old.

He still has that chip on his shoulder from losing to Old Tom Morris.....

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

Yeah most guys don't have the swing to hit a five iron. Imagine on the fairway, you are at your 5 iron distance do you grab your 5 iron or do you club up to your wood or hybrid and grip down/3/4 swing? IMO if that's the case then might as well take a hybrid.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

Easy to say for someone who's 107 tears old.

And still playing!

And better than anyone on golfwrx!

Not anyone. But I guess most. We’ve got a couple tour pros and an aspiring LPGA pro for a start that I’m sure can take him.

Not to mention I’m convinced that Ferguson is either Tiger or Phil using reverse psychology on us. Either could take him.

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Here is my question for those who have replaced 4 and 5 irons with hybrids....what do you do when it is windy or you need to hit a low shot? I agree that 4h and 5h can be easier to hit than 4i and 5i, but I couldn't imagine not carrying at least 1 club that I can keep low and out of the wind when needed.

Hybrids aren't hard to hit low. Not as easy to pull off as a 3 or 4 iron, but if you put it back in your stance and abbreviate the follow through you can really punch it quite low.

PING i20 10.5*

Adams a7 19*, 22*

Maltby TS3 Forged 5-9

Vokey SM7 46F, 52F, 58M

PING BeCu Anser

Srixon QST

People often don't understand advice and who is being addressed by that advice.

Gary is speaking to most AVERAGE golfers. Most average golfers absolutely, unequivocally, would be better off with a hybrid than a 5 iron in their bag.

If you can hit a 5 iron nice and high and carry it more than 185 yards and can stop it easily on a green, He is not speaking to you. Most AVERAGE golfers do not hit a 5 iron as I just described. They struggle with both direction and elevation and not enough spin. They don't swing fast enough for a 5 iron in the bag.

This web site has an unusually high number of faster swinging, more accomplished golfers. Certain advice won't be applicable to them.

People often don't understand skill level and confuse it with distance.

I hit a 5 iron nice and high and about 170 yards. Should I not be hitting a 5 iron ? :dntknw: :D

But yes, Gary is talking about the average player. ;)

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

As others have said, it is so player dependent. If I just want a club that goes straight, hybrids work well for me. But my shot shaping with a hybrid is just not reliable. There seems to be much finer line with hybrids for me between draw/hook, fade/slice. On shaped shots my misses just do not seem to be as drastic with irons.

Here is my question for those who have replaced 4 and 5 irons with hybrids....what do you do when it is windy or you need to hit a low shot? I agree that 4h and 5h can be easier to hit than 4i and 5i, but I couldn't imagine not carrying at least 1 club that I can keep low and out of the wind when needed.

I've switched to 4h and 5h. I find that both clubs are fine in crosswinds but the 4h (Taylormade Taylor, 22*), is horrible into the wind. I think the 5h goes just as far into the wind (Taylormade Rescue, 25*, trajectory/flight is still fairly flat) as the 4h.

If I need to keep the ball down, I usually just take more club and swing easier to try and keep some of the spin off with these clubs. I think if you catch it flush, things will be fine.

Of course, there are some shots that are harder to hit with this strategy but net-net for my skill level I think having the hybrids is a positive.

Some of the newer hybrids may have better flight/trajectory for lofts in the 21*-26* range?

Remember seeing an old " Playing Lessons From the Pros" w/Gary Player on Golf Channel years back. He was touting the advantages of the Cally Heavenwood & Divine Nine as longer iron replacements. He just kept showing how much easier it was to hit them high, straight, & soft, in relation to a 3/4 iron. I believe this was right before the hybrid mania took over golf, but the concept is basically still the same. I assume he was in his 60's at the time, and quipped if he had those two clubs, he probably would have won a few more Majors, especially at Augusta. Lastly not cool to disparage a multi Major winner on his club choices, regardless of his age. I was fortunate to follow him during a Pro/Am round event in Florida a few years back, and I doubt even at his advanced age not many here could hang with the guy.

Remember seeing an old " Playing Lessons From the Pros" w/Gary Player on Golf Channel years back. He was touting the advantages of the Cally Heavenwood & Divine Nine as longer iron replacements. He just kept showing how much easier it was to hit them high, straight, & soft, in relation to a 3/4 iron. I believe this was right before the hybrid mania took over golf, but the concept is basically still the same. I assume he was in his 60's at the time, and quipped if he had those two clubs, he probably would have won a few more Majors, especially at Augusta. Lastly not cool to disparage a multi Major winner on his club choices, regardless of his age. I was fortunate to follow him during a Pro/Am round event in Florida a few years back, and I doubt even at his advanced age not many here could hang with the guy.

amazing what gets posted on the internet...player is one of the greatest, yet some people get a power surge in their loins by ripping him to shreds...

Yeah, he's a multi-major winner and better than anyone who regularly posts on here, I'll give you that. He is also one of the most conceited self-praising blowhards there is, and totally over-rated in the history of the game, at least in my opinion.

That being said, if you can hit hybrids easier/better than irons, more power to you! I play with a 70 something year old all summer who has more headcovers in his bag than irons, and shot his age last year. No way I'm ribbing him for hitting hybrids/9 woods. That doesn't mean it's gonna work for me, and I've tried. I do have an older Cally 2 Heavenwood hybrid that I hit great off the tee, fits a "need" on certain courses, but other times it's just a wasted space in my bag. There are shots I can hit with a 4 iron or driving iron that I wouldn't even consider with the hybrid, so usually it sits out.

I think I make valid points, but suppose some of it comes back to my dislike of his personality. What can I say, I dislike Tommy Lasorda also, and if I had a picture of him in my office I'd punch it every time I could - same with Gary Player.

**Edit** just realized he has way more Majors than I thought, so maybe he's not so over-rated, but I still don't like him. Something about his personality just rubs me the wrong way. Carry on.

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

Yeah, he's a multi-major winner and better than anyone who regularly posts on here, I'll give you that. He is also one of the most conceited self-praising blowhards there is, and totally over-rated in the history of the game, at least in my opinion.

That being said, if you can hit hybrids easier/better than irons, more power to you! I play with a 70 something year old all summer who has more headcovers in his bag than irons, and shot his age last year. No way I'm ribbing him for hitting hybrids/9 woods. That doesn't mean it's gonna work for me, and I've tried. I do have an older Cally 2 Heavenwood hybrid that I hit great off the tee, fits a "need" on certain courses, but other times it's just a wasted space in my bag. There are shots I can hit with a 4 iron or driving iron that I wouldn't even consider with the hybrid, so usually it sits out.

I think I make valid points, but suppose some of it comes back to my dislike of his personality. What can I say, I dislike Tommy Lasorda also, and if I had a picture of him in my office I'd punch it every time I could - same with Gary Player.

**Edit** just realized he has way more Majors than I thought, so maybe he's not so over-rated, but I still don't like him. Something about his personality just rubs me the wrong way. Carry on.

I totally respect this post. A breath of fresh air. There's a few around here who don't like, pretend that they don't dislike, then spend countless hours and an enormous amount of energy attempting to post clever comments trying to discredit. You however just came right out and said it...BOOM! Not sure why it's so difficult for some to just come out and say "I don't like the guy".

With regards to Gary, I actually like him. Had the guts and the determination to stand with Arnie and Jack. And I think his hybrid comment was an honest attempt to let some golfers know that there's good alternatives if you find your long irons difficult to hit well.

Carry on... :-)

Where in the hell is Obee? That's a man who knows hybrids and can game his ball.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I totally respect this post. A breath of fresh air. There's a few around here who don't like, pretend that they don't dislike, then spend countless hours and an enormous amount of energy attempting to post clever comments trying to discredit. You however just came right out and said it...BOOM! Not sure why it's so difficult for some to just come out and say "I don't like the guy".

With regards to Gary, I actually like him. Had the guts and the determination to stand with Arnie and Jack. And I think his hybrid comment was an honest attempt to let some golfers know that there's good alternatives if you find your long irons difficult to hit well.

And I wholeheartedly agree. I'm early-mid 50s, and really sick of the new PC attitude that dictates that I can't express my opinion on certain things because it might not be "popular". I'm starting to think Player probably was a better "player" than I give him credit for, but something about him still makes me want to punch him right in the face every time I see/hear him talking about how great he was. I guess it's my generation? You never had to hear Jack/Arnie tell you how good they were, they backed it up with their play.

There's an old saying: The greats talk about how good they were, and the goods talk about how great they were (not it, but can't put my finger on the exact quote right now).

**edit** Is anyone on my lawn, and if so get the He** off!

WITB:
Mizuno GT/ST-180 Dr w/ EvenFlow White 6.0 75
Mizuno GT-180 3wd w/ Tensei CK White 75
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW w/ TT Tour Concept Satin
TM Milled Grind 52* LB and 58* SB
Odyssey O-Works 7S Tank

And I wholeheartedly agree. I'm early-mid 50s, and really sick of the new PC attitude that dictates that I can't express my opinion on certain things because it might not be "popular". I'm starting to think Player probably was a better "player" than I give him credit for, but something about him still makes me want to punch him right in the face every time I see/hear him talking about how great he was. I guess it's my generation? You never had to hear Jack/Arnie tell you how good they were, they backed it up with their play.

There's an old saying: The greats talk about how good they were, and the goods talk about how great they were (not it, but can't put my finger on the exact quote right now).

**edit** Is anyone on my lawn, and if so get the He** off!

lol... :-)

Who cares if he is a jerk or not? Many top athletes are (or anyone at the top of their profession).

What he's saying is true for average golfers.

And the logic applies to better golfers too. Just change the clubs to 2 iron and 5 wood/2 hybrid. 20+ years ago this change would have been laughed at too.

Skulling it is a safe play. Or deloft, play back in stance, & play a 3/4 knockdown.

Phil

I saw Brandel Chamblee drinkin' a piña colada at Trader Vic's
His hair was perfect

[size=2][i]- Warren Zevon, Werewolves of London[/i][/size]

[size=4]All the clubs I've ever owned.[/size]

I used my 31°hyb from 87yds out today. Back of the green. This club is now good from 90-140yds. What a club! I do play a load of practice rounds where I might hit up to 4 balls in certain situations to get a feel for a club. That's why I've been able to add the 22° 7wd, and now the 19° 5wd. Practiced on course mon-wed this week, with specific clubs getting the most swings. Managed a 78 today, and the wind was really going.

Skulling it is a safe play. Or deloft, play back in stance, & play a 3/4 knockdown.

Skulling it lol. That was my stock shot with my 4h