Titleist TS3 vs Callaway Epic Flash Sub Zero vs TM M5

Comments

• Louisking1Louisking1 Members Posts: 152 ✭✭
    Don’t forget about the mizuno st190g best looking driver out this year hands down
  • tdk8180tdk8180 Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭
    jsnoland wrote:

tdk8180 wrote:

Titleist is late to the game and they still dont have a piece of equipment that can best the Callaway and Taylormade offerings. All their stuff is very nice looking, but I dont see any performance benefits.. ever.

Looking forward to hitting the new Cally and TM offerings.

Until I hit the TS3 driver earlier this year, I would've 100% agreed with you on every Titleist club I had ever hit up until that point, with the exception of 906F2. Every other Titleist club just didn't agree with me for whatever reason, and there always seemed to be a better option from Taylor or Cally. At least for me. Then I hit the TS3.

Is it the longest? Maybe, maybe not. For me, though, it's way better than what I saw with M3/M4 or Rogue (none of those worked for me at all), and it bested my 2017 M1 440 Tour by enough that it's now in my bag sporting that beautiful TS headcover. And it's definitely a big step up over 917D3, which I demo'd extensively last year and couldn't come close to my M1. It's funny - I've always wanted to love Titleist clubs, but none of them ever performed well enough for me (again, except 906F2) to allow me to actually love them - until the TS3 driver.

As for the TS fairways, the jury is still out for me. They're definitely good, but just not as much an improvement over the 917 fairways as the TS3 was over the 917D3, if that makes sense. And compared to my CBX, it was close but just not quite good enough. The only thing that's beaten my CBX is the new Cobra F9 Tour fairway, but that's another story.

Believe me, I'm no Titleist fan boy - never have been and probably never will be. In fact, if you'd told me last year that I'd have a Titleist driver in my bag at the start of 2019, I woud've laughed you out of the room. But now the TS3 is in my bag, and I'm laughing for a very different reason.

Just my experience, but I think Titleist has a winner with TS3.

Fair response. Ill give it a fair chance this Spring with legit shafts.
  • GC70GC70 What's Next? ClubWRX Posts: 7,544 ✭✭
    texcrom wrote:
    TS3.......longer, sounds better, better looking, and less money.

When was the last time you could say that about a Titleist Driver?
    Cobra F9 8* Atmos Blue 6S
    XR Steelhead 15* Atmos Red 7S
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Apex CF19 4-AW C-Taper Lite
    SM7's RAW 50F - 54S - 58M
    Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto (Oven)
    Nike 006 Rory Proto (Oven)
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
    I have my fitting Saturday!
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • maamoldmaamold Matt Aamold Members Posts: 180 ✭✭
    I own the TS2 (fully fitted), I had owned the Epic and Epic SZ. I hit the TS2 is way better than either Epic; however, my bet is that if I had been properly fit for the Epic's I'd love them just as much as the TS2.
  • TheMoneyShotTheMoneyShot ***FIGJAM/Twirl of Doom*** Members Posts: 30,588 ✭✭
    We need to add the new PXG Gen 2 drivers in the mix too.
    I had a driver fitting yesterday. Going into the fitting I was 90% sure I was going to come out with the Epic Flash Subzero. Boy was I wrong. This is my take away from the fitting.

All heads at 9* with the Atmos TS Blue and a brand new Pro V’s on track man indoors.

Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

We ended up at the end of the fitting adjusting the F9 down to 8* and bingo lowered the spin and beat out the TS3.

Plus $450 vs $750 is a no brainer.

818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • moorebaseballmoorebaseball Members Posts: 254 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

GC70 wrote:

What were your results? Just curious
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

We ended up at the end of the fitting adjusting the F9 down to 8* and bingo lowered the spin and beat out the TS3.

What was making the Titleist so expensive? Were you using a shaft that was an upcharge for them but was not for the Cobra?
    swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

What was making the Titleist so expensive? Were you using a shaft that was an upcharge for them but was not for the Cobra?

Yes the best shaft for me is the Atmos TS Blue. It’s no up charge with Cobra, but Titleist wants $250 for it. I tried all the non up charge shafts that Titleist offers and I couldn’t get anything close to the Atmos combos.
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • swing33swing33 Members Posts: 108 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Yes the best shaft for me is the Atmos TS Blue. It’s no up charge with Cobra, but Titleist wants $250 for it. I tried all the non up charge shafts that Titleist offers and I couldn’t get anything close to the Atmos combos.
    Does Cobra have a pretty large selection of no up charge shafts with the F9?
    swing33 wrote:
    GC70 wrote:

swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Does Cobra have a pretty large selection of no up charge shafts with the F9?

Yes they do have a really good selection this year imo. Go to Cobra golf and customizing a driver and all their shafts are listed.
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    All the heads from all the big boys are really good this year. Shaft fit will be key. And if the right shaft is stock vs. upcharge... well there you go.

But picking looks and feel will be #1 if shaft fit is even.
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • bogeyprobogeypro The Original Bogeypro ALClubWRX Posts: 3,253 ClubWRX

We need to add the new PXG Gen 2 drivers in the mix too.

no we don't. We have enough ping reviews... LOL
    Titleist TS3 8.5 
    Titleist TS2 15* 
    Mizuno JPX 850 2 hybrid
    Mizuno MP 18 SC 3-pw
    Taylormade hi-toe 52-9 and 58-10 wedges
    Scotty Cameron Futura 5.5m
  • TollBrosTollBros Overseer of the Test Range Sponsors Posts: 4,893 ✭✭
    Just a little snippet for anyone who wondered if Twist Face really worked.
    http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/forum/608-greengrassevaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members Posts: 243 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Well now that you know what the price difference is, why not try to get that combo cheaper on here in the bst?
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
    BrockPSU wrote:
    GC70 wrote:

swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

Well now that you know what the price difference is, why not try to get that combo cheaper on here in the bst?

I doubt you can get a brand new TS3 with Atmos TS Blue for $450.
    818 H1 Atmos Blue 8S
    Pro V1x / CSX

WITB Link
  • BrockPSUBrockPSU Members Posts: 243 ✭✭
    GC70 wrote:

BrockPSU wrote:
    GC70 wrote:

swing33 wrote:
    Look:

EFS

M5/F9/TS3

G400 Max

Sound and feel:

F9/TS3

M5

Max/EFS

Launch:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Lowest Spin:

TS3

F9

M5/EFS/Max

Distance:

TS3

F9

EFS

M5

Max

Dispersion:

F9

TS3

Max

M5/EFS

I doubt you can get a brand new TS3 with Atmos TS Blue for $450.

Getting a brand new head would be easier than the shaft part but you could have probably gotten close to that. Quick check on ebay shows that the prices of both items would be close from what I just checked.

I do agree however the upcharge from companies and not the others is very discouraging.
    TS3 10.5 AD DI 6x
    TS2 16.5 AD DI 8x
    716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
    716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
    716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
    716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
    SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
    SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
    Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1
  • swoll crackerswoll cracker Members Posts: 394 ✭✭
    hypergolf wrote:

You all know what to do image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Please discuss, argue or debate your thoughts, experience, feel, distance etc.Thanks guys.

First let me start by saying I'm pretty much a Callaway guy over the last 12 years. I'm currently playing a Rogue SZ.

I swung all 3 of these on Trackman last week. My longest results were with the EPIC Flash. I got similar ballspeeds from the TS3 but a tad higher spin resulted in a few yards less than the Flash. I got lower speeds off of the M5 by about 3mph but low spin rates produced solid distance. The distance differences quite frankly were not enough to worry about. 272 for Flash, 269 for TS3, 268 for M5.

With them being so close, it's really dispersion, look, and feel that will drive my decision. I could not get the M5 dialed in well enough to hit it consistently. I hit the TS3 beautifully; at my target with very little movement either direction. Similar with the Flash but not quite as tight a dispersion pattern. I have a bit of a dilemma. Callaway products have been good to me but I honestly think I might be better off in the TS3. It gave me the best combination of distance, accuracy, look, and feel. My numbers were 99mph, 147mph, 13.9 launch, 2400rpm, 35* angle of descent with a TS3 9.5* head set at B1, HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 shaft at 45".

I swung the Cobra F9 and the PING G410 as well but not on Trackman. 410 was forgiving but I don't think it was as long. F9 felt solid and I think it was getting out there pretty good. I did hit the M6 on Trackman and the results were down around 144 ballspeed with 262 average but much straighter than the M5. I think the 410 and M6 would give me similar results. And I think the F9 was pretty close to Flash and TS3.

Callaway EPIC Flash SZ 9*, GD Tour AD BB
    Callaway Rogue SZ 18* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway Rogue 21* Project X EvenFlo 75 
    Callaway X2Hot Pro 23* Hybrid Fujikura Motore F1 85
    Callaway Rogue Pro 5-AW Project X LZ 95 6.0
    Callaway MD4 54* S Grind
    Callaway MD4 PM Grind 58*
    TaylorMade Spider X Copper
  • radimanradiman Members Posts: 4,711 ✭✭

hypergolf wrote:

You all know what to do image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' /> Please discuss, argue or debate your thoughts, experience, feel, distance etc.Thanks guys.

First let me start by saying I'm pretty much a Callaway guy over the last 12 years. I'm currently playing a Rogue SZ.

I swung all 3 of these on Trackman last week. My longest results were with the EPIC Flash. I got similar ballspeeds from the TS3 but a tad higher spin resulted in a few yards less than the Flash. I got lower speeds off of the M5 by about 3mph but low spin rates produced solid distance. The distance differences quite frankly were not enough to worry about. 272 for Flash, 269 for TS3, 268 for M5.

With them being so close, it's really dispersion, look, and feel that will drive my decision. I could not get the M5 dialed in well enough to hit it consistently. I hit the TS3 beautifully; at my target with very little movement either direction. Similar with the Flash but not quite as tight a dispersion pattern. I have a bit of a dilemma. Callaway products have been good to me but I honestly think I might be better off in the TS3. It gave me the best combination of distance, accuracy, look, and feel. My numbers were 99mph, 147mph, 13.9 launch, 2400rpm, 35* angle of descent with a TS3 9.5* head set at B1, HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 shaft at 45".

I swung the Cobra F9 and the PING G410 as well but not on Trackman. 410 was forgiving but I don't think it was as long. F9 felt solid and I think it was getting out there pretty good. I did hit the M6 on Trackman and the results were down around 144 ballspeed with 262 average but much straighter than the M5. I think the 410 and M6 would give me similar results. And I think the F9 was pretty close to Flash and TS3.

You don't owe any one OEM anything. Play what you want. Whatever gives you the best combination of distance, dispersion, and confidence. If it's the TS3, you can't go wrong. It is a beautiful club as most Titleist drivers are.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9* HZRDUS Smoke Green "The Hulk" 60 6.5TX
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15* Evenflow Black 75 6.5
    Callaway X-Forged UT 21* w/Motore Speeder TS 8.8 X
    Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW KBS 130X
    Taylormade Spider X Navy/White 35"
    Callaway MD3 52, 56, 60
    All sitting comfortably in my Sun Mountain Sync Cart Bag
  • sheldonjhackersheldonjhacker Members Posts: 3,704 ✭✭
    For those TS3 fans...are they much less forgiving than the TS2 ? Thanks
  • minteqminteq Members Posts: 2,856 ✭✭
    For those TS3 fans...are they much less forgiving than the TS2 ? Thanks

I don’t think so, I hit both at my fitting, the TS3 was a little lower spinning and I like the head shape better. Dispersion wise for me they were about equal.
    Callaway Epic Flash SZ Hzrdus T800
    Titleist TS2 16.5 Hzrdus Smoke 70s
    Nike VPC 4-Aw
    Callaway PM 56/60
    Nike 006 Proto
    Callaway Chrome Soft
  • cjyner97cjyner97 Members Posts: 85 ✭✭
    I prefer the EF subzero an TS3 so far
    Epic Flash SZ 9* w/ evenflow black
    Epic Flash SZ 15* w/ evenflow black
    790 UDI 17* w/ hzrdus black
    919 JPX tour w/ modus 105
    MD4 50, 54, 58 w/ DG 115
    TM Spider tour black
  • James ColeJames Cole Members Posts: 61 ✭✭
    Guys I am a high HC looking for max forgiveness and easy to turn over my shots tend to go right.

Options are TS2/TS3 or G400 Max unfortunately where I live I cant try any of this clubs so whats your experience?

Thanks!

JC
  • GoGoErkyGoGoErky Members Posts: 1,240 ✭✭
    James Cole wrote:

Guys I am a high HC looking for max forgiveness and easy to turn over my shots tend to go right.

Options are TS2/TS3 or G400 Max unfortunately where I live I cant try any of this clubs so whats your experience?

Thanks!

JC

G400 max imo is the most forgiving of these. Turning over is more swing related than head
  • vietnameehvietnameeh HIT BALL FAR NOT BALL STRAIGHT Members Posts: 1,912 ✭✭
    I got to try all of the new offerings except g410

They all went the same distance +- 5 yards for me (pga superstore so no accurate numbers)

So I just went with what felt best (on good hits and misfits) and looked best. I could honesty game any of them

My order: F9, M5, TS3, epic flash sz, M6, Ts2

For craps and giggles ... honorable mention: I grabbed a Wilson c300 and I was really surprised by it lol!

Cobra LTD PRO 7.5F* Aldila Phenom NL 60X
    Callaway XR16 Pro 14* Graphite Design PM902X
    Taylormade M3 17* Fujikura 869 Speeder Tour Spec X
    2012 TaylorMade Tour Preferred MC 4-PW X100
    Wilson FG Tour TC 52,56,60
    Ping TR 1966 Anser 2
    #vietnameeh
  • CDMCDM Members Posts: 1,759 ✭✭
    I hit all 3 in testing. Went to TS3 (switched from Epic) as it was best for me and loving it. All are very very good so you cant go wrong, just get fit to which is best for you..
  • MahamiltoMahamilto NYCMembers Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    Ts3 and TS2 are close in forgiveness.

Ts2 better if you miss across whole face or need the extra launch/spin

Ts3 better if you want to tune for a consistent miss ( weight to heel or toe improves that side of the face) or if u hit it too high/need less spin.

Dispersion did me was equal (when ts3 was on fade weight setup), but the ts3 was longer
    Titleist TS3 - 9.75* - HZRDUS Smoke Black 60g 6.5 (D1 Setting, STD Fade)
    Titleist 917F2 - 15*, Diamana S+ LTD 80TX (B1 Setting, 16g Fade)
    Titleist 818 H1 - 19*, Tensei Pro White 90TX (B1 Setting, 12g Fade)
    Titleist 716 T-MB 4-iron - KBS C-Taper 130x
    Titleist 716 T-MB 5-9-iron - DG AMT x100
    Titleist 718 AP2 PW, 50* - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM7 55* S-Grind - DG AMT x100
    Titleist SM2 59.12* - DG Tour Issue x100
    Evnroll ER6-B
    Bridgestone Tour BX
    Titleist Staff Stand Bag
  • tgg27tgg27 Member Members Posts: 97 ✭✭
    I have hit all three and own the TS3. I spent the least amount of time with the m5. I just couldn't get the ball speed consistently with it. I ordered an EF Sub Zero. I just was a little more consistent with it than my TS3 and the distance dispersion was much tighter. I think it was around 8 or 9 yds difference from best to worst vs about 20 yds best to worst with the ts3. I have seen that on the course with the TS3 as well. Every once in awhile (once or twice a round) I will get a really spinny ball that flies about 20 yds less than normal. Im not sure what the miss is but it happens too much for my liking. I also found the ef sz to be more workable for me. My stock shot is a fade. I can hit that all day with the ts3 but i found the ef sz a little easier to turn over if i need to.
    My ITB changes too frequently to keep up with it here.
  • puresurfrpuresurfr Members Posts: 1,911 ✭✭
    I own the TS3 and TS2 and started with the TS3 being my gamer and then went with the TS2. Today I had the chance to test the F9 and the M5 and the Flash driver. I used a TP5X ball but the shafts were all over the place but the results were surprisingly close....I found the F9 to have the highest ball speed but also the least forgiveness I terms of dispersion. The M5 had amazing speed all over the face and shots that felt bad went almost as far as pured shots.....Finally the Flash, I could not make heads or tails of this driver, it just didn't work for me, I just couldn't put a decent swing on it....maybe it was the swing weight or the shaft profile. Compared with my TS2, the F9 was slightly longer and had a faster ball speed, it definitely launched the lowest and had the lowest spin. the M5 had similar ball speed and back spin and launch as my TS2 but I found the face to be more forgiving in terms of mishits. All are very good drivers. My next driver to demo is the PXG Gen2. The Cobra F9 and the M5 definitely deserve further testing with different shafts. I currently use a Tour AD VR 6 and its tough to find a similar shaft for testing.