*Update on my 2nd tourney* My first tournament....humbling.

My first tournament was the club championships (flighted) at a local public course in which I had played in a Friday night beer league.

I started off on the back 9. #10 is a tough par 4. Pretty straight away with some left to right slope in the fairway. Fairway then dips down at about 100 yds in front of the green creating an elevated green effect. Woods right, trees left and left side falls off hard down a slope.

I smash my tee shot down the middle. 2nd shot middle of the green, pin high. 2 putt par. I’m feeling great at this point. #11 - 160 yd par 3. Green slopes from Back to front but typically manageable anywhere on the green. Bunker front right. I smash my tee shot right at the flag. It carries deep but still in great shape leaving me a 12 foot downhill birdie putt. No biggie, I’ve got a par locked up. My first tournament on the “tough” side and I’m going to be no worse than even after two.

Well, I leave that down hiller 2 ft short. No problem, easy par. Not so fast, I pull the putt and it goes 4 foot past. I then miss the bogie putt coming back. Sadly I again miss that short downhiller again. By now, my hands are shaking and I’m as mental as mental can be. When it was all said and done my birdie putt goes from an easy par to a 6 and I am scarred for the day. Any putt less than 4 foot had me shaking the rest of the way.

At the time I was a beer league golfer playing in a league that rolling the ball a clubhead was the norm. I was essentially a new golfer and my very first round in the 9 hole beer league was a 68. 3 years later my best round was a 38 on the same 9 in the same beer league from the same tees. As I result, I actually thought I was a good golfer.

In the beer league I was a gps user and given there was seldom a bad lie, I always used the club for the distance. In the tournament on the par 5 on the back 9 I walk up to my ball after a nice tee shot in the fairway with 3 wood in hand. I see the ball sitting down in a low spot and realize likely for the first time that I can’t hit a 3 wood from that lie. I club up, then screw up and eventually finish the hole with an 11.

I learned playing in tournaments is not the same as playing in beer league. I don’t get to play in many of these events but will jump in when I can.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I love tournament golf, but Lord knows we've all had some humbling experiences. You will learn from that and get better, I promise.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat." ~ Theodore Roosevelt.

Nice

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Oh man. I've been there. I don't play a lot of tournaments and didn't really get dedicated to the game until my early 20's. A few years back, I played our city tournament. I was so nervous. Almost the same story as you. Just started on a really bad note. Never improved. Adrenaline was pumping. When I didn't mishit the ball, I was hitting it a club or two longer than normal. Flew a couple greens and went OB. Carded a cool 100. Probably the first time since I was a teenager. Signed my card and went home defeated. I felt bad that the guys I played with had to witness it. It was a qualifying round. Obviously I didn't qualify and was flighted. Showed up the next day with my head low and no expectations. Shot a 76 after doubling the last hole. All things considered, I couldn't have been happier.

Long story short. I played terrible but stuck it out. You didn't give up and there's something to be learned from it. I've still got room for improvement, but I look back at that tournament as a turning point for me. I still get nervous. And at times it can still get the better of me. But I know in the end, it's just a game. The next year I played the mid-am flight and opened up with a 73 at the same course.

Heck, I've played with people that will withdraw halfway through the round if they are playing poorly. You'll get over the nerves eventually. You just have to condition yourself by putting yourself out there more often.

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Oh man. I've been there. I don't play a lot of tournaments and didn't really get dedicated to the game until my early 20's. A few years back, I played our city tournament. I was so nervous. Almost the same story as you. Just started on a really bad note. Never improved. Adrenaline was pumping. When I didn't mishit the ball, I was hitting it a club or two longer than normal. Flew a couple greens and went OB. Carded a cool 100. Probably the first time since I was a teenager. Signed my card and went home defeated. I felt bad that the guys I played with had to witness it. It was a qualifying round. Obviously I didn't qualify and was flighted. Showed up the next day with my head low and no expectations. Shot a 76 after doubling the last hole. All things considered, I couldn't have been happier.

Long story short. I played terrible but stuck it out. You didn't give up and there's something to be learned from it. I've still got room for improvement, but I look back at that tournament as a turning point for me. I still get nervous. And at times it can still get the better of me. But I know in the end, it's just a game. The next year I played the mid-am flight and opened up with a 73 at the same course.

Heck, I've played with people that will withdraw halfway through the round if they are playing poorly. You'll get over the nerves eventually. You just have to condition yourself by putting yourself out there more often.

Good on you for coming back in and posting a good number day two.

Think of how many tournament golfers on this forum see those guys who put up a high one and then no show/WD for day two.

I bet I see 3 minimum every tournament even the local/regional stuff. Its funny, I can't remember what strangers shot a year ago in tournaments, cant recall what some of my main competitors shot exactly...But I can remember a few names of the guys that quit and no showed, or walked off mid round etc.

Nice one.

Good on you for coming back in and posting a good number day two.

Think of how many tournament golfers on this forum see those guys who put up a high one and then no show/WD for day two.

I bet I see 3 minimum every tournament even the local/regional stuff. Its funny, I can't remember what strangers shot a year ago in tournaments, cant recall what some of my main competitors shot exactly...But I can remember a few names of the guys that quit and no showed, or walked off mid round etc.

Nice one.

There were a few similar comments on day 2. While I wanted to hide under a rock and the thought crossed my mind, it was never really a possibility. I was physically able to play. It was only my ego that was wounded. At the very least I was pretty confident that I wouldn't follow it up with another round at the century mark. :)

Cobra LTDx LS 10.5* w/Kai'Li 70TX
Ping G430 Max 15* w/OG Ventus Blue 7X
Titleist TSR2 7w w/Ventus Red TR 8X
Cobra King CB 4-PW w/KBS $Taper
Bettinardi BB1 w/UST Mamiya All-In Graphite 
Mizuno Copper T22 52, 56, 60 w/MCA MMT 125TX Wedge Shafts
TP5, Z Star XV, CSXLS

Well done for getting into your first tourney, it's definitely a different beast compared to casual rounds. I have had my share of blowups, once shot a 99 in a local US open qualifier (shot 69 on the same course and tees the day before). Once the nerves get hold it can be ugly if you never played tourneys growing up (like me and you). Still trying to get my tourney rounds to live up to my casual rounds :)

Good luck in future tournrys!

As many have said Tournament Golf and Golf are two extremely different things. I grew up playing tournaments constantly from the time I was 13 or so until I was mid 20's. I still crap the bed every once in awhile, so it never really goes away. It does it easier the more often you do it. I am 42 and hadn't played a tournament in the last 4 years. My first Tourney of the year I completely crapped the bed. I mean I played at the level of triple my handicap type of bad. Second tournament was last month, and my partner and I finished second overall and first in the championship flight.

A couple of things to remember......

1. Regular golf you can go out and work on swing thoughts, and other silly things. Tournament Golf you are not playing "Golf Swing" and any lessons leading up to a tournament are a big no-no for most people.

2. Most everyone else doesn't play a whole lot of tournament golf either(unless you are talking state am level tournaments) so remember 1/2 the field is in trouble before they tee off because they are playing "golf swing".

3. I always warm up on the range and save the first three holes(tee shots and second shots) for my last 7 or so shots on the range. Go through them in order, 1. Tee shot and approach, 2 the same and three the same. Then my last shot on the range is the tee shot I will be hitting on number 1.

• Driver - Ping G430 Max 10k - Ventus Black 6X | Ping G430 LST 10.5 - Aldila Rogue White 130 MSI TX
  • 3 Wood - Taylormade 300 Mini 13.5 - Ventus Purple X
  • 5 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X 
  • 7 Wood - Ping G430 Max - Ventus Purple X | 4 iron - Srixon ZX4 MKII - Axiom 105X
  • 5 - PW Ping BluePrint S - Shaft testing
  • SW - Cleveland RTX6 55* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X | LW - Vokey SM9T 60* - Fuji Tour Spec 115X
  • Putters - Odyssey #7 Knuckle Neck Proto | Odyssey Jailbird Versa Microhinge - Odyssey Tank DBOdyssey Jailbird Ai-One

I’ve played 90+ rounds of tournament golf in the last 15 months . Long story short you’re only as good as how well you are under the gun. I’ve played casually with guys who can beat my brains in and in tournaments they’re just a headcase for their own reasons.

Also I’ll talk on the thought that lessons are bad .

If you’re doing so much work at a lesson that you don’t already have , you shouldn’t even be sticking the tee in the ground. Lastly you should never be playing golf swing at a tournament. Just see the shot and hit the shot.

Well done on getting in there. At the end of the day, while we want to do well, it is a game and our next meal isn't on the line when we putt so we have that to be thankful for.

My first one, I didn't even know was a tournament. I just signed up because a client of mine is a golf club and they invited me to their "Open Day". No clue what they are. I got to the hole I was due to start at with my buddy. "Hmm there's no one here". My first clue that it wasn't any normal, fun, drinking round was when I was told we play from the tips... I played well that day, probably didn't get a chance to get nervous. Shot just a click or 2 below my mid/high cap.

The next year I went back. Yeah nerves hit hard and I shot a ungodly high number then high tailed it right after my round in shame (I jest, I actually had to make a beeline straight into the office to catch up on work)

Hey WRX'ers!

Played in a local tournament (my first as the the title states) at my home course this past Sunday and lets just say, I forgot how to golf as I typically shoot in the low 80's (my best round to date 73). I got a lesson in the night before and was grooving it. I headed to the course early Sunday morning to putt, chip and hit some full shots, no issues and again grooving it. Fast forward to my tee time and I was hit with nerves and thoughts of don't F up. First tee shot was a low liner left. Second shot was a punch out and I thought, "Ok, par 5 hitting 3...lets just try to get close to the green for an up and down." Third shot was a hosel shank right. At this point I was filled with complete fear and confusion. Its amazing what nerves can do to a swing, so I finished the first hole with a 9 (+4). Hole 2, 157 yard par 3. Easy 8 iron right? WRONG! Hosel it 120 yards to the right. Second shot is a punch 50° wedge about 90 yards, hosel it again. 3rd shot was a de-lofted chip just to get on the green, 2 putt 5 (+2). At this point I am +6 through 2 holes and completely mortified and embarrassed. The day continued to snowball. I would pipe a drive down the middle and then duff/shank my approaches. At this point I just tried to stay out of the way of my competition and keep positive energy for the group. I finished with a 100 (+28), as this was my worst round within the past couple years.

After the round I had sometime to reflect. First, it was a great learning experience and I have much respect for the professionals doing so in front of millions. Second, golf is a wonderful game as it teaches you more than how to get a little white ball in the hole. I was completely humbled by the day as it tested my patience and sportsmanship towards fellow competitors. Going in with such high expectations seemed to add a lot of unwanted pressure. I plan to play in more tournaments in the future and will continue the development of my game under pressure.

Feel free to share some similar experiences/advice/feedback.

- KC

Get back on that horse soon. Starting your tournament career in a city championship is bold. I suggest join a men’s club and play in their monthly tournaments to get acclimated. Once you master tournament golf, you’re ready for the ultimate—— playing for copious amounts of your own money.

There's something super addicting about tournament golf. I love it.

It's extremely satisfying to grinding out a respectable score.

Yep. I started 25 years ago, and it's never gotten the least bit stale.

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you!

most recreational golfers... even ones with low handicaps, won't know what it is really to go out there and grind it out in a tournament.

as others have said keep your head up, we all have been there its a matter of how you adjust for next time :)

one thing I learned growing up playing jr and college golf is to not worry about what others think even if you shoot a high number

anyone will obviously get pissed but good players will brush it off and focus on the next one.... "this too shall pass"

I don't know how many of my friends who are amazing tournament players have shot a high number in the first round then come back the next day to shoot low-mid 60 to move up in the tournament.

keep your chin up, tournament golf is not for everyone, but if your a competitive person. It gets crazy addicting and if gets worse if you like playing for money (I always try to side bet with friends I know at tournaments, it helps all of us). One thing that will help, always wager on your rounds... any $ amount that would put pressure on you to grind out rounds, this has helped me immensely.

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

Something else I've learned the hard way: It's not over until the trophies are handed out.

Two of my experiences:

1) In one of my earlier tournaments, I finished my round, turned in my scorecard, and shut down. 20 minutes later the tournament director said "You two are tied for first (in our flight). Go to the first hole and start playing until there's a winner (sudden death). I was not mentally prepared for that. I held on for the first hole, but then missed a 3-foot putt on #2 to lose the playoff.

2) In a more recent tournament: I was playing fairly well, but had posted some big numbers on a few holes. I don't know if in the back of my mind I didn't think there was a chance of winning or what, but on the last two holes I took a 10 on a par 5 and a 7 on a par 4, for no reason really except that I think I just lost focus. I came in 3rd, two strokes behind the leader. Later that evening I checked all the scores in my flight and found that I had opened up a 4 stroke lead after the 16th.

No matter how poorly you might think you're playing, unless you have access to live scoring, you just don't know. Your opponents may have struggled on the same holes as you, or had their own struggles.

OP

I wouldn't hesitate to sign up for the "bigger" tournaments/qualifiers because you will eventually get paired with really good players that are well known in your area

I grew up playing with no instruction and had terrible course management skills ( I still do ), but what helped me become a better golfer/competitor was getting paired up the more "elite" players and really feeding off them and learning how they manage their rounds.

You really see how a good player can manage their "misses" and negate a bad hole

and Ive been lucky enough to play with a lot of names that I see are on different on professional tours now

PXG 0311XF Gen 5 7.5* Ventus Black 6X
Titleist 913D2 12* UST Mamiya Tour Green 75X
PXG Gen5 19* Ventus Black 10TX
Maltby TE Forged 4-G
Maltby TSW DRM 56 and 60
Taylormade Spider Long Broomstick
#vietnameeh

THE GOLF GARAGE SAN JOSE

I would bet that nearly everyone has done this at one point or another. I know I once went 91-74-77 in our club championship at a course that I hadn't shot 90 on... maybe ever. :) Didn't feel nervous when I stepped on the tee. Not even a little bit. Then the first 3 holes went by and I was +10 and basically in shock. I think my index was 2 at the time. Pretty sure I shot 48 on the front but it may have been 49. :lol:

One other time I walked out to play a guy in the semi-finals of our match play (much later in life, different club) after winning my first 4 matches easily and lost 8 and 6. Honestly, it should have been 10 and 8. No idea what was wrong. Warmed up fine, had beaten the guy in the first round the previous year by a lot, felt totally confident and just didn't have it. Think I straight up cold topped my drive which I've done maybe 10 times ever in my entire life.

Thing is, it just happens. The opposite happens too though. I was on fire one day and shot an even par 72 to win my flight (1-5 index) by like 9 strokes in a one day event. Never felt more confident on the course than I did that day. If you play enough tournaments you definitely see both sides.

Here's the thing I've promised myself to go with it, I don't complain and I don't make excuses. I might express frustration on an individual shot but I try to make sure that is gone in 5 seconds. I don't like playing with hot heads who whine/throw fits the whole day when it goes wrong for them. My goal is to treat my playing partners with the same enthusiasm whether I shoot 70 or 90. I've seen too many really good players (like guys who do or used to play for a living) have bad rounds over the course of my playing to think that I'm immune to it, aka I don't think I'm good enough to get angry. I didn't always have this attitude but I wish I had.

• 2 months later...

I have competed in my first 2 tournament in the past couple of weeks. I’m a member in a community that has several courses, each of which have a club championship with the winners playing match play for overall club champion. I’m addicted! I finished middle of the pack in both, which, is where I expected based on my handicap. I’m very pleased to say that I finished less than a stroke off my handicap both times. I’m guessing that nerves didn’t get to me because I approached the tournaments as a opportunity to witness great golf first hand and learn from the better players.

I’m sure it’ll be a different story nerves wise if there ever comes a day when I think I’m good enough to actually win!

I have competed in my first 2 tournament in the past couple of weeks. I’m a member in a community that has several courses, each of which have a club championship with the winners playing match play for overall club champion. I’m addicted! I finished middle of the pack in both, which, is where I expected based on my handicap. I’m very pleased to say that I finished less than a stroke off my handicap both times. I’m guessing that nerves didn’t get to me because I approached the tournaments as a opportunity to witness great golf first hand and learn from the better players.

I’m sure it’ll be a different story nerves wise if there ever comes a day when I think I’m good enough to actually win!

Thats a good attitude and a good first go around in the tournament golf world!

As I get older and read more on here, see it in person I find there seems to be two types of tournament players and both types can get it done:

The relaxed 'just a game of golf' types who are calm and collected, not really worried about the results or placings and hit one shot at a time either way. Then there is the laser focused guys who might get jittery and nervous but if its refined and worked on they use it to play better and keep focused.

Either way you slice it there is not many things out there I enjoy more!

Another thing that I think helps me is that when I play golf, I’m trying as hard as I can regardless of whether it’s by myself, with a few buddies (even the rounds when we’re all drinking), or the few tournaments I’ve played. So, in my mind, I can only do as well as I can do, the only difference in a tournament is that other people will know what I score. Doesn’t seem like a worthy reason to get worked up.

But like I said, we’ll see how my philosophy hold ups when I really get in the running to win one...

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...

> @KC13 said:

> Looking for redemption 1 year later this coming Sunday. Updates to come...

> - KC

How did you get on @KC13 ? I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days. Always enjoy stumbling across a thread that keeps me engrossed.

In the UK we have club competitions every week so tournament/pressure golf is a common thing for us. We can only get our handicap down if we play in competitions. I also grew up playing junior golf and played for our county so understand the pressures a bit more. Despite that, it can be nerve-racking, but in the end, there's nothing to lose. Some of us guys aren't making a living from it and there shouldn't be the pressure to perform. It's easier said than done though! There's no embarassment posting a bad score, it's better than posting no score.

Golf is just as much a mental sport as it is physical. I've been reading a book by Raymond Floyd, _"The Elements of Scoring Better"_. It gives you a good insight to the mental game and how to put bad shots out of your mind to help you score when you're playing badly. Definitely worthwhile picking up a copy. Amazon is very cheap second hand.

Keep playing in touneys, you'll relax and your scoring will come.

> @jonnymc44 said:

> > @KC13 said:

> > Looking for redemption 1 year later this coming Sunday. Updates to come...

> > - KC

> How did you get on @KC13 ? I've been reading this thread for the last couple of days. Always enjoy stumbling across a thread that keeps me engrossed.

> In the UK we have club competitions every week so tournament/pressure golf is a common thing for us. We can only get our handicap down if we play in competitions. I also grew up playing junior golf and played for our county so understand the pressures a bit more. Despite that, it can be nerve-racking, but in the end, there's nothing to lose. Some of us guys aren't making a living from it and there shouldn't be the pressure to perform. It's easier said than done though! There's no embarassment posting a bad score, it's better than posting no score.

> Golf is just as much a mental sport as it is physical. I've been reading a book by Raymond Floyd, _"The Elements of Scoring Better"_. It gives you a good insight to the mental game and how to put bad shots out of your mind to help you score when you're playing badly. Definitely worthwhile picking up a copy. Amazon is very cheap second hand.

> Keep playing in touneys, you'll relax and your scoring will come.

>

>

>

>

>

Thanks! My 2nd tourney turned out much better than my first (I will post more today). I will be picking up a copy as recommended. Anything for the mental part!

- KC

Wood Bros Kool Cat F-1 - 11°

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - 16°

Ping Eye 2 - 1 Iron

[Irons - TBD]

Cleveland Reg. 588 - Special 49°

Wilson Staff Dyna-Power - SW

Scotty Cameron CA Coronado - 34"

One year later, entered in the same tournament...Irvine City Championship at Rancho San Joaquin.

Welcome back! So, I entered in my second ever tournament and it happens to be the same tournament as last year. This years finish was an 84 (+12). Not what my heart desired but looking back in reference, a huge improvement from the year before. Between tournaments 1 and 2, I worked with a swing coach and made an all in commitment to golf. Lowered my handicap from a +10 to a +4. Hard work but worth it. I have a better understanding for the game of golf and learning the mechanics required to make a proper golf swing. Still a work in progress and always trying to get better.

Onto the round...

Hole 1, Par 5, Approached the tee shot with a bit of nerves but none the less, piped a drive into the right rough. Layed up a hybrid to about 60 yards to the green. Chipped it close and 1 putted for bird. What a start right!!! (-1)

Hole 2, Par 3, Walked up to the tee feeling an inner confidence knowing I just birdied and have an easy 8 iron in my hand. Pulled the 8 left into the sand. Pin was playing front right edge sloping down hill from the bunker shot. Hit a nice bunker shot that trickled downhill off the green (couldn't do any better). two putted from the fringe for bogey. Back to even, no big. (E)

Hole 3, Par 4, Played a hybrid off the tee as the hole plays a hard dogleg left. Pushed it right into the rough. Approach was on a slope with the ball above my feet. Yanked my 9 into the left side bunker. Pin was playing middle left. Wedged out of the bunker and proceeded to 3 putt. Walked off the green being overly frustrated with those 6 strokes for double bogey. (+2)

Hole 4, Par 4, Pulled my tee shot hard left (Had a day of the yanks!) into the trees. Had a high window through the trees and clubed up knowing I would lose some distance if I hit a high ball. Well, I hit it straight at the pin but flew the green by 30 yards to the back side of the green sloping down hill. The pin was playing back right with little room to work with on my chip. Chipped it to within 10 feet and two putted for bogey. (+3)

Hole 5, Par 5, Another tee shot left, took my medicine and layed up in the fairway, on the green in 3 for a two putt par. Tee shot left caused me to play a very conservative boring hole and was OK with the par. (+3)

Hole 6, Par 4, Blocked my tee shot right into some trees (Two way miss and trees starting to become a thing at this point). Had no other option other than hit a low punch out of the rough. Short right of the green about 20 yards. Chipped it to within 10 feet for a two putt bogey. At this point, I was missing fairways and missing putts to save par. (+4)

Hole 7, Par 4, Hit my tee shot straight down the gut laying less than 120 out from the pin. Approach shot is the phantom hosel shot right of the green, gotta love it. Chip my 3rd shot to within 15 feet for a two putt bogey. Just mentally grinding. (+5)

Hole 8, Par 3, Uphill green with pin playing front left and I slap the ball into the left bunker. Hit a solid bunker shot out and 2 putt for bogey. Becoming frustrated because I am continuing to put the ball in the wrong places on approach shots. (+6)

Hole 9, Par 4, Tee shot was middle and sitting 145 out from the pin. Flare a 9 iron short right of green. Greenside, I duff a chip and settle on the top tier, now needing to putt downhill about 50 feet, I 3 putt for a double bogey. Shaking my head with embarrassment now. (+8)

Headed into the clubhouse to grab a diet coke. Told myself to mentally focus on the back nine and erase the front 9. Lets go!

Hole 10, Par 4, Hole plays a hard dogleg left with a fairway bunker sitting at the bend. Tee shot just short of fairway bunker. On the green in two for a 3 putt bogey, I just laugh, haha. (+9)

Hole 11, Par 4, Tee shot right and into some trees. Played my shot left as I had a tree on my right side and ended up left-side fringe of the green. Chip and a two putt for bogey. Struggling to save pars. (+10)

Hole 12, Par 5, Tee shot down the right side of the fairway. Layup to within 100 yards off the green. Hit the green and 2 putt for par. Boring but safe! (+10)

Hole 13, Par 3, Pin was playing back right, hit the green back left (still a bit of a yank), two putted for par. (+10)

Hole 14, Par 4, Hole is a blind tee shot downhill. Played a slight fade with fairway sloping left to right. Ended up 95 yards off the green in the center fairway. Grabbed a gap wedge and 1/2 swing to within 10 feet and sunk the putt for bird! Feeling in a grove now. (+9)

Hole 15, Par 3, Uphill approach and landed my tee shot short front of green. Chip and 1 putt for par. I SAVED A PAR.... (+9)

Hole 16, Par 4, Slight dogleg right and fairway bunkers in play. Hit a fade center fairway past bunkers playing 260 to carry. Sitting about 125 out now, hit the green and two putt for par. Just keeping it rolling. (+9)

Hole 17, Par 4, Short par 4 (290 yards) and I play a fairway down the middle. Pin was playing front right sloping downhill about 8 feet off the fringe with a bunker protecting the pin. Most ridiculous pin placement ever! Needless to say, I end up in the bunker on my approach, hit out of the sand past the pin and now putting downhill. 3 PUTT for double and furious with the results after a solid 5 holes. (+11)

Hole 18, Par 5, My favorite hole on the course. A reachable par 5 open on both sides. I hammer a ball down the middle (angry swing resulting from the previous hole). Have a 7 iron in my hand sitting 170"ish to the pin. Well, I pull the ball into the left side bunker, duff a chip out of the sand onto the fringe, chip onto the green and two putt for bogey. (+12)

Shake my playing partners hands and felt a sense of accomplishment. I knew I was just grinding out there and not playing my best golf, considering I shot a +2 on the very same course 2 weeks prior. I was happy with the results, I was out there competing vs last years tournament were as I was just frozen with nerves, staying out of the other players way, I just quit on myself. This year I did not. I kept myself in ever shot regardless of results.

I finished in the middle of the pack with a net 80 (gross 84). This tournament provided a sense of relief mentally, I knew I didn't play my best but preformed to the best of my abilities at that moment. It was a massive improvement from the previous year and for that, I am happy.

Until my next tournament...

Best!

- KC

Wood Bros Kool Cat F-1 - 11°

TaylorMade Tour Cleek - 16°

Ping Eye 2 - 1 Iron

[Irons - TBD]

Cleveland Reg. 588 - Special 49°

Wilson Staff Dyna-Power - SW

Scotty Cameron CA Coronado - 34"

> @KC13 said:

> One year later, entered in the same tournament...Irvine City Championship at Rancho San Joaquin.

>

> Welcome back! So, I entered in my second ever tournament and it happens to be the same tournament as last year. This years finish was an 84 (+12). Not what my heart desired but looking back in reference, a huge improvement from the year before. Between tournaments 1 and 2, I worked with a swing coach and made an all in commitment to golf. Lowered my handicap from a +10 to a +4. Hard work but worth it. I have a better understanding for the game of golf and learning the mechanics required to make a proper golf swing. Still a work in progress and always trying to get better.

>

> Onto the round...

> Hole 1, Par 5, Approached the tee shot with a bit of nerves but none the less, piped a drive into the right rough. Layed up a hybrid to about 60 yards to the green. Chipped it close and 1 putted for bird. What a start right!!! (-1)

>

> Hole 2, Par 3, Walked up to the tee feeling an inner confidence knowing I just birdied and have an easy 8 iron in my hand. Pulled the 8 left into the sand. Pin was playing front right edge sloping down hill from the bunker shot. Hit a nice bunker shot that trickled downhill off the green (couldn't do any better). two putted from the fringe for bogey. Back to even, no big. (E)

>

> Hole 3, Par 4, Played a hybrid off the tee as the hole plays a hard dogleg left. Pushed it right into the rough. Approach was on a slope with the ball above my feet. Yanked my 9 into the left side bunker. Pin was playing middle left. Wedged out of the bunker and proceeded to 3 putt. Walked off the green being overly frustrated with those 6 strokes for double bogey. (+2)

>

> Hole 4, Par 4, Pulled my tee shot hard left (Had a day of the yanks!) into the trees. Had a high window through the trees and clubed up knowing I would lose some distance if I hit a high ball. Well, I hit it straight at the pin but flew the green by 30 yards to the back side of the green sloping down hill. The pin was playing back right with little room to work with on my chip. Chipped it to within 10 feet and two putted for bogey. (+3)

>

> Hole 5, Par 5, Another tee shot left, took my medicine and layed up in the fairway, on the green in 3 for a two putt par. Tee shot left caused me to play a very conservative boring hole and was OK with the par. (+3)

>

> Hole 6, Par 4, Blocked my tee shot right into some trees (Two way miss and trees starting to become a thing at this point). Had no other option other than hit a low punch out of the rough. Short right of the green about 20 yards. Chipped it to within 10 feet for a two putt bogey. At this point, I was missing fairways and missing putts to save par. (+4)

>

> Hole 7, Par 4, Hit my tee shot straight down the gut laying less than 120 out from the pin. Approach shot is the phantom hosel shot right of the green, gotta love it. Chip my 3rd shot to within 15 feet for a two putt bogey. Just mentally grinding. (+5)

>

> Hole 8, Par 3, Uphill green with pin playing front left and I slap the ball into the left bunker. Hit a solid bunker shot out and 2 putt for bogey. Becoming frustrated because I am continuing to put the ball in the wrong places on approach shots. (+6)

>

> Hole 9, Par 4, Tee shot was middle and sitting 145 out from the pin. Flare a 9 iron short right of green. Greenside, I duff a chip and settle on the top tier, now needing to putt downhill about 50 feet, I 3 putt for a double bogey. Shaking my head with embarrassment now. (+8)

>

> Headed into the clubhouse to grab a diet coke. Told myself to mentally focus on the back nine and erase the front 9. Lets go!

>

> Hole 10, Par 4, Hole plays a hard dogleg left with a fairway bunker sitting at the bend. Tee shot just short of fairway bunker. On the green in two for a 3 putt bogey, I just laugh, haha. (+9)

>

> Hole 11, Par 4, Tee shot right and into some trees. Played my shot left as I had a tree on my right side and ended up left-side fringe of the green. Chip and a two putt for bogey. Struggling to save pars. (+10)

>

> Hole 12, Par 5, Tee shot down the right side of the fairway. Layup to within 100 yards off the green. Hit the green and 2 putt for par. Boring but safe! (+10)

>

> Hole 13, Par 3, Pin was playing back right, hit the green back left (still a bit of a yank), two putted for par. (+10)

>

> Hole 14, Par 4, Hole is a blind tee shot downhill. Played a slight fade with fairway sloping left to right. Ended up 95 yards off the green in the center fairway. Grabbed a gap wedge and 1/2 swing to within 10 feet and sunk the putt for bird! Feeling in a grove now. (+9)

>

> Hole 15, Par 3, Uphill approach and landed my tee shot short front of green. Chip and 1 putt for par. I SAVED A PAR.... (+9)

>

> Hole 16, Par 4, Slight dogleg right and fairway bunkers in play. Hit a fade center fairway past bunkers playing 260 to carry. Sitting about 125 out now, hit the green and two putt for par. Just keeping it rolling. (+9)

>

> Hole 17, Par 4, Short par 4 (290 yards) and I play a fairway down the middle. Pin was playing front right sloping downhill about 8 feet off the fringe with a bunker protecting the pin. Most ridiculous pin placement ever! Needless to say, I end up in the bunker on my approach, hit out of the sand past the pin and now putting downhill. 3 PUTT for double and furious with the results after a solid 5 holes. (+11)

>

> Hole 18, Par 5, My favorite hole on the course. A reachable par 5 open on both sides. I hammer a ball down the middle (angry swing resulting from the previous hole). Have a 7 iron in my hand sitting 170"ish to the pin. Well, I pull the ball into the left side bunker, duff a chip out of the sand onto the fringe, chip onto the green and two putt for bogey. (+12)

>

> Shake my playing partners hands and felt a sense of accomplishment. I knew I was just grinding out there and not playing my best golf, considering I shot a +2 on the very same course 2 weeks prior. I was happy with the results, I was out there competing vs last years tournament were as I was just frozen with nerves, staying out of the other players way, I just quit on myself. This year I did not. I kept myself in ever shot regardless of results.

>

> I finished in the middle of the pack with a net 80 (gross 84). This tournament provided a sense of relief mentally, I knew I didn't play my best but preformed to the best of my abilities at that moment. It was a massive improvement from the previous year and for that, I am happy.

>

> Until my next tournament...

> Best!

> - KC

Tournament golf is a different beast. Glad you got to play in the same tourney again, and despite the scoring (84 isn't bad at all) you enjoyed it.

I played in today's club competition and was playing under handicap golf (8 hcp) until 16. The last couple of times I'd played 16 I'ld blocked my driver out right into deep rough that was irrecoverable, and 2 lost balls. Thankfully only in casual golf, but today I decided to take a 3 wood nonetheless despite me hitting the driver well all day, missing only a couple of fairways. Hit my 3 wood great, solid 230yds into the wind leaving 150yds in to the flag.

My second shot was playing a +3 club wind and I was inbetween clubs. Hard 6 or softer 5. Decided with the softer 5 just to take some spin off it. Didn't matter. Blocked 2 way right and 2 lost balls. Walked back after 3 minutes of looking and took the 6 iron instead. Another block right.

Didn't block a single shot out right until it really mattered. I was being too cautious thinking about the possibility of playing to my handicap or lower and left myself too much to do. I ended up with an unplayable lie in the trees and had to take a drop. Chipped off some grass cuttings (play it like a bunker shot if you ever land in it in the future), and hit the last branch of a tree before coming straight down. Bad lie and just made the green with my chip. 2 putts and an 11!

ELEVEN SHOTS ON A PAR 4!

Played the last 2 bogey, par. Didn't lose my head, and I'm really happy about that. The bogey came from a nigh-on impossible par 3; 20mph downwind, rock solid fairway and green, and a green that slopes front to back. Bogey was a good score today. My 8 iron to a 196yd green was perfect but just rolled through.

One thing I learnt from today is that if my wedge play was good, I could have easily knocked about 4 or 5 shots off my score as my chipping was abysmal. Pitching from 80yds and in was also awful so that is something to work on.

Moral of the story; play tourneys, and stick with the driver if you're hitting it well, and if a bad hole comes along do not lose your head. Forget about it and concentrate on the next shot. Don't get ahead of yourself. Oh, and practice 80yds and in.

@KC13 I have some seriously good news... I played in our Captain's Day tournament yesteray and shot a level par gross - 8 handcap. Field was 189 and I won!! Overcame my 11 demons and smashed my driver down the middle and came off with an easy par. Played the last 12 holes at 2 under par. So happy. I knew my swing was there and it just needed the right day where everthing worked out.