Scotty Cameron with or without insert?

ups

> @Chip2win said:

> I'm an insert hater too. However, it seems like that's all Scotty offers. Is it possible to buy a new scotty Newport 2 without the insert (without being a tour pro)?

Doesn't seem like it. Only options seem to be to find one on ebay or buy one from the SC Gallery for a ridiculous price. I really thought he would've put out some milled putters this last range, hopefully the next time around.

> @Forged4ever said:

> Non-Insert~

>

> Though I’ve gotta bunch, including a few T’s/customs with both insert and w/out, this is my All-Timer, one of 99 produced.

>

> The feel is sublime

>

> Cheers?

> RP8x619txz9szb.jpeg

> ugj3huzcw9gr.jpeg

> i6rcwid0bex2.jpeg

>

That's a putter I could game right there!

Driver = Ping 430 LST

Hybrid = Cobra LTDX 
Irons = 4 iron Callaway TCB

5-PW Callaway Apex MB
Wedges = Miura HB 50*

Taylormade MG3 TW 56*

Nike SV Tour 60*

Putter = LAB Mezz Max broomstick

Ball = TP5x v’s Chrome Tour 

> @craz-e said:

> > @Forged4ever said:

> > Non-Insert~

> >

> > Though I’ve gotta bunch, including a few T’s/customs with both insert and w/out, this is my All-Timer, one of 99 produced.

> >

> > The feel is sublime

> >

> > Cheers?

> > RP8x619txz9szb.jpeg

> > ugj3huzcw9gr.jpeg

> > i6rcwid0bex2.jpeg

> >

>

> That's a putter I could game right there!

Thanks Bro, it’s a sweet stick and I really think that his best work was his earlier stuff and some of his Mizzy putters like the “Reason.”

Stay well?

RPneogf0kk30qf.jpeg

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

> @towncryer said:

> > @NJGolfer0624 said:

> > > @towncryer said:

> > > No inserts. Ever.

> > > I don't think Scotty has put out a production putter that has felt/sound GREAT since the first California line...light milling on stainless is perfect. Deep milling is muddy/muted. Inserts feel/sound dead to me.

> >

> > The 2012/14 line has great feel.

> >

> I stand by it...muddy/muted sound and feel on deep milled putters. If you're into soft sound/feel, 2012/14 are awesome...and they're great looking putters, to boot! But, for me...I like the firmer responds from light milling on stainless or carbon.

Agreed on this. Initially I like the soft feel but it ends up feeling muddy to me, that’s a good way to put it. I have a 2011 Select that has lights milling, and the only other putter I can say might edge it is my Mil Spec. The carbon isn’t necessarily softer but it has a different feel, almost more solid to me.

> @shankey said:

> I’m with almost everybody. Have a studio stainless and it’s awesome. Had a new Laguna and it felt earful. I would love to see a new solid putter that wasn’t a gallery one that cost thousands

Studio stainless is another great one, I think those were weighted by length which is nice if you can find the one that fits what you like. Love the new sole weights for if you ever need to change length. I wish the older TEI3’s were heavier than 330, as it would be sweet to get one that I would actually feel comfortable putting with.

The only inserts I liked were the Tei3 and the GSS insert in the Red X

WITB

Titleist TSi2 9º w/ Ventus Blue 7-TX

Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Callaway Apex UW 21º w/ Hazardous Smoke

Srixon U85 w/ UST Recoil 95

6-43º Titleist T400 w/ DG AMT Red

48º Vokey SM6, 54º Vokey SM8 Raw, 60º SM9 Raw

Titleist Scotty Cameron Newport Masterful Tourtype SSS CT A048277

• 2 weeks later...

I like the new Select line but have never tried the older Scotty's.

Cobra F8 10.5* UST Attas Coool 7S
Cobra F8 5-6 17* Evenflow Blue 75
Cobra F8 Hybrid 19* Smacwrap
Cobra King Utility 22.5* C-Taper Lite
Ping I210 5-UW PX LZ 6.0
Bridgestone XW-1 56* 60* DG Spinner
Odyssey Strokelab Seven S
Chrome Soft
Clicgear 3.5/Cobra King Ultradry

Without insert, next question.... :)

TM SIM2 Max Driver

TM SIM2 Max 3 & 5

PXG 0311 XF Gen 1 4-W 

Titleist SM8 Black Wedges 48-54-58

Srixon Q-Star Tour 
2009 Custom Scotty Cameron Welded Neck 009 35/330g (with a slap of lead tape for sauciness)
“Check your Ego at the Club House and Play the Correct Tees”

Insert guy through and through.

Titleist TSI3 Fuji Ventus Blue TR 6X

Taylormade Stealth Plus 15* Fuji Ventus Blue TR 7X

Ping G425 3 Hybrid 19* Graphite Design AD DI Hybrid 85x 

Ping i210 4-PW Nippon Modus 120X

Titleist Vokey SM7 52* 8F 56* 10S 60* 8M DG S300

Scotty Cameron Special Select Flowback 5 BGT LE Stability Shaft

Titleist Prov1x

• 2 years later...

Looking at the TGW site.  This one https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-special-select-squareback-2-putter has an aluminum plate on top of the stainless steel if you look at the description image. 

This one https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-special-select-newport-2-putter doesn't state it has an aluminum plate but it sure looks like it does. 

Do all available models this year have  "inserts" even though they go across the entire face?  Or is that ignored and only putters like this are considered to have an insert?  https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-select-squareback-15-putter

Hope this makes sense.  This is my first SC and I am doing a lot of research.  Thanks in advance.

14 hours ago, T.J. said:

Looking at the TGW site.  This one https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-special-select-squareback-2-putter has an aluminum plate on top of the stainless steel if you look at the description image. 

This one https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-special-select-newport-2-putter doesn't state it has an aluminum plate but it sure looks like it does. 

Do all available models this year have  "inserts" even though they go across the entire face?  Or is that ignored and only putters like this are considered to have an insert?  https://www.tgw.com/titleist-scotty-cameron-select-squareback-15-putter

Hope this makes sense.  This is my first SC and I am doing a lot of research.  Thanks in advance.

The aluminum is the plate on the sole. They removed that section to place the weight even further out to create a forgiving mid size blade. The weight is milled out of that area and replaced with a lighter material to help with MOI and forgiveness in a nice looking head. Think of it as someone wanting the forgiveness of a 5.5 but a more traditional look. 

Titleist TSR3 9.5° - Tour AD DI 6x

Titleist TSR3 16.5° - Tensei Blue 75x

Titleist TSR2 21° - Tensei Blue 75x

Taylormade P7MC 4-PW - KBS Tour S

Vokey SM9 50/54/58 - S200

Odyssey Ai-One 7 CH

Taylormade TP5

I removed the insert from my 2018 Laguna.  I didn’t use another piece of double-sided tape when I screwed it back on but instead put a thin layer of silicone between the insert and body.  

There are a couple of very small holes in the back of the insert and with the thin layer applied the silicone seems to act as a membrane between the two pieces and has changed the feel and sound for the better.  

I'm in the "no insert" crowd when it comes to Scottys.  Currently game a 2014 Select Fastback.  Also have a 2011 Studio Select Fastback 1.  The feeling off the face of these is similar to a properly forged iron.  Pure, like a properly-rung church bell.

Knowing when I've mishit the putt (miss center-face = different feel) is invaluable.  You could make the right read, and give it proper speed, but miss the center of the face and thus miss the putt.  I want to know when that happens so I don't make the wrong adjustment.

The Scottys I've hit with inserts (example: 2018 Select Fastback) felt different.  The ball jumped off the face, but the feel was almost dead in comparison to my gamer(s).  

But to each their own I guess...

Titleist TSR3 10*: LA Golf Olyss 65S

Titleist TSi2 16.5*: Aldila Rogue Silver 125 70S

Titleist TSR3 19*:  LA Golf Ozik Black Tie 105S

Titleist TSi2 22*: Aldila Tour Blue 105TX

Grindworks PR-202 6-PW: Nippon Modus3 120X

Edel SMS 48*V / 60*T:  Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Grindworks Barrett 52* / 56*: Nippon Modus 125 Wedge 

Scotty Cameron 2014 Select Fastback

Switched from a 2014 Newport to the 2018 Newport 2 (insert) because of the lack of feedback on the 2014 deep mill. I've hit pretty much every scotty you can hit - tour issued and off rack, and I love the feel of his inserts (specifically the 2018 line). The reason for the insert was to gain a certain sound and he really nailed it. I can easily diagnose all mishits - hollow if struck off center, and pure when struck out of the dead center. The insert truly helps you diagnose where your miss-hits are. If you're a good putter and you hit it out of the center often, there's no reason not to like this putter. I will say I did not like the fastback/squareback models as much. The feel was a bit more dead with the aluminum - BUT - I didn't mind it at all and many on the pro tours, on the ladies and mens side still use them (I.E., emily pedersen, matilda castren, etc.)

There are many on tour that still game the "worst scotty's ever"...for as much hate as they get, Nelly Korda and current world number 1 gamed a Newport 2 with an insert and won often with it (currently in a special select squareback 2), Sei Young Kim games a Newport 2 insert and won a major with it, Brian Gay won in Bermuda with a NP2 last November, Sung Kang games a NP2 insert, as does Chase Koepka, John Merrick, Hugo Leon (european tour), Andrew Kozan (recently turned pro), Will Grimmer (Korn Ferry Tour), and several others actual use off the rack 2016 newports with inserts (john vanderLaan on the Korn Ferry Tour), Kelsey Macdonald (european ladies tour)...they obviously feel right to some of the best out there and again, it's all personal. Typically, the guys and girls that find the center of the insert might like it more - if you struggle to find the center, that may be a reason the feel is off for you. 

Lot of hate on the inserts, but I can't go there. Scotty Cameron just makes quality putters and no matter what they all end up in the bag of amateurs and pros alike for different reasons. 

No insert for me. Played a pro-plat NP2 in the past, really liked it. Really liking my 2020 special select NP2, they went back to what worked for scottys. Solid SS with lighter face milling gives it a firmer feel. The insert with 3m tape membrane from 2016-2018 were just not my favorite - I do know some people really loved them. 

I still prefer milled carbon steel, which there are so many better priced options than a scotty, but I play the NP2 so I don't have to worry about losing the finish/rusting.

LTDx LS 11.5* - Tensei White 65X

G430 Max 15* - Ping Chrome 75S

King Tec Hybrid 19* - MMT 80S

T150 4-PW - PX 6.5

SM8 50F, 54S, 60M

White Hot OG 7CH

The GSS Studio Style inserts and the aluminum inserts didn't feel all that great to me. The others have all felt great IMO. TeI3's ButtonBacks (OG and CC), T22's, even the stainless insert from the recent Selects. I thought those felt great, they just looked odd. I honestly think a lot of people looked at those, hated the look and were instantly going to hate the feel no matter what.

On 9/2/2021 at 12:40 AM, collindm1 said:

Switched from a 2014 Newport to the 2018 Newport 2 (insert) because of the lack of feedback on the 2014 deep mill. I've hit pretty much every scotty you can hit - tour issued and off rack, and I love the feel of his inserts (specifically the 2018 line). The reason for the insert was to gain a certain sound and he really nailed it. I can easily diagnose all mishits - hollow if struck off center, and pure when struck out of the dead center. The insert truly helps you diagnose where your miss-hits are. If you're a good putter and you hit it out of the center often, there's no reason not to like this putter. I will say I did not like the fastback/squareback models as much. The feel was a bit more dead with the aluminum - BUT - I didn't mind it at all and many on the pro tours, on the ladies and mens side still use them (I.E., emily pedersen, matilda castren, etc.)

There are many on tour that still game the "worst scotty's ever"...for as much hate as they get, Nelly Korda and current world number 1 gamed a Newport 2 with an insert and won often with it (currently in a special select squareback 2), Sei Young Kim games a Newport 2 insert and won a major with it, Brian Gay won in Bermuda with a NP2 last November, Sung Kang games a NP2 insert, as does Chase Koepka, John Merrick, Hugo Leon (european tour), Andrew Kozan (recently turned pro), Will Grimmer (Korn Ferry Tour), and several others actual use off the rack 2016 newports with inserts (john vanderLaan on the Korn Ferry Tour), Kelsey Macdonald (european ladies tour)...they obviously feel right to some of the best out there and again, it's all personal. Typically, the guys and girls that find the center of the insert might like it more - if you struggle to find the center, that may be a reason the feel is off for you. 

Lot of hate on the inserts, but I can't go there. Scotty Cameron just makes quality putters and no matter what they all end up in the bag of amateurs and pros alike for different reasons. 

Of all the Scotty putters I’ve owned, the 2018-2019 seem to be the best of the inserts.  I don’t mind the stainless insert on my 2018 Select Laguna, at all.  I honestly can’t even tell that it’s there when I’m putting.  It feels like a fully milled putter.

I also own a 2003 Studio Stainless Laguna 2.5 (shallow milled), a 2014 Select Squareback (deep milled) and a 2020 Special Select Squareback 2 (mid milled).  My 2018 Select Laguna feels as good as any of them.

Edited by stormin70
  • Like 1

Titleist TSi3 D (10.0*) HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 60

Titleist TS2 F (16.5*) Tensei AV Blue 65

Titleist TS2 H (21.0*) Tensei AV Blue 70

PING i525 Irons (4-PW) Project X IO 105

Cleveland RTX Zipcore (50) DG Spinner
Cleveland RTX Full Face (56) DG Spinner
Bettinardi BB-8 Wide (SuperStroke 1.0)

7 hours ago, stormin70 said:

Of all the Scotty putters I’ve owned, the 2018-2019 seem to be the best of the inserts.  I don’t mind the stainless insert on my 2018 Select Laguna, at all.  I honestly can’t even tell that it’s there when I’m putting.  It feels like a fully milled putter.

I also own a 2003 Studio Stainless Laguna 2.5 (shallow milled), a 2014 Select Squareback (deep milled) and a 2020 Special Select Squareback 2 (mid milled).  My 2018 Select Laguna feels as good as any of them.

I've hit all of those putter as well and couldn't agree more. A lot of people just jumped on the bandwagon and joined in on the bashing. The feel when struck perfectly on the insert is fantastic. 

• Like 2

Love my t22 with the TeI3 insert. Prior to that I was very much a no insert person.

Titleist TSR2 10 Hzrdus Red CB
Titleist TSI2 16.5 Tensei Blue

Ping G 17.5 set at 18.5 Ping tour shaft.
Titleist TS3 hybrid 21 Hzrdus smoke
Taylormade 2023 p790 5-PW kbs tour lite
Vokey SM9 50°/12° SM8 56°/14° and SM9 60°/10°
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport two
Titleist Pro V1

[i]Remember there are no pictures on a scorecard, only a number. [/i]