We have launched our new enhanced Editor. There is an overview and tutorial Here.

I-500s; after using them for a while, anybody else loathe them ?

jwb10 ·  
jwb10jwb10 Major WinnerMars 1034WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,034

I've always been a Ping guy, and decided to go for distance and bought the I-500s. I cannot get them dialed in. I got the same shaft, flex and weight as my I-200s, but I get very inconsistent shot patterns and distances, and no feel. Anybody having these issues? I am about to pull the trigger on the I-210s unless someone talks me off the WRXer ledge !

Posted:
Post edited by jwb10 on

Comments

• syenkocsyenkoc  178WRX Points: 68Members Posts: 178

I feel your pain. I was suckered into getting the i500s after a fitting at True Spec (to be fair, they did a fantastic job with the driver, 4w, and hybrid). The i500s felt great during the fitting process, but once I actually got mine, they felt pretty terrible - very tinny. (My old but again current set is Nike Vapor Pros, which feel quite fantastic.) More than anything else, I just had no idea where I was hitting the ball on the face.

The other problem I had was with the distances. It’s fun to hit your 6i 210 and a PW 160… but ultimately it means that I had a 50+ yard (!!!) gap between my PW and GW. And that was with the “traditional” lofts - I can only imagine using the power spec lofts. I would literally need to carry 4 GWs to make that set up work. I guess I could learn how to feather a 165 club down to 120 - but it’s going to have a funky flight, spin, etc.

So I basically gave up on the i500s. It’s an interesting club/idea for sure. But basically it felt like I was replacing all of my irons with mini-hybrids. If you goal is brag about how much farther you can hit your irons than your friends, they are great clubs. But in terms of actually playing golf… not as great.

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JDMRN81JDMRN81 PA 596WRX Points: 124Members Posts: 596

I purchased mine a few weeks ago and only have 3 rounds and a handful of range sessions but I love them so far. I’m an average (below average in WRX terms) distance player and got another 5-7 yards with these compared to my z565’s. They are a little harsh but that’s low on my priority. Paired with LZ’s they go high and very, very straight when I make solid contact. I haven’t noticed any gapping issues yet and seem pretty forgiving when hit on the toe, which is my miss. I love hitting the 3i....replacing my G400 hybrid for now.

Posted:
    PXG 0811xf Gen 2 9* AD VR-6x
    PXG 0341x Gen 3 16* AD VR-7x
    Ping i210 4-UW Modus 105s
    Ping Glide 2.0 54/58 Modus 105s
    Evnroll ER2 Black 34"
    Callaway Chrome Soft Truvis Stars and Stripes
  • kcd38kcd38  418WRX Points: 132Members Posts: 418

Thank you for posting this. I am looking into a new iron set and love the i210. Since the i500 looks so similar and can give me more height I have been flirting with the idea of getting a set. I hit them a few times and while they performed great, I could not get over the feel/sound. Truly felt like a hollow, tinny iron. Coming from MP18 SC's, most other irons will not match the feel but the i210's feel much better IMO.

Posted:
    Driver - PING G400 LST 8.5, Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black 6.0
    3 Wood - PING G400 14.5, AD Di 6s
    Hybrid - Ping G410 19 degree, Tour AD DI 95x Hybrid 
    4-PW - Mizuno JPX 919 Tour PW-6, 919 Forged 5 iron, 919 Hot Metal Pro 5 iron, all with Modus Nippon3 120s
    Wedges - Vokey SM7 50F, 55F, 60 D 
    Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • cardoustiecardoustie haha, we don't play for 5's Tasmania to Canada 13043WRX Points: 1,976Members Posts: 13,043

thankfully I only got the i500 six iron as a "tester". I have tried 8 shafts to make this head work - to no avail
    Do not like the feel or performance at all
    Anyone want a cheap head? Blend into 7-PW set of ping's???

Posted:

Ping G400 LST 11* Oban Revenge 65 06
    Callaway Xhot 3 Deep 14.5* Fubuki 73x
    Callaway GBB 5w 17* Aldila NVS 85x 
    Callaway Apex v1 3h 20* AD DI 95x
    Cally Apex v1 5h 26* Apache MFS 85x
    Mizuno 919T 6-G UST Recoil 95 f4 
    Vokey sm2 54*m & 59*m TVD 
    Callaway PM 64* UST 110 f4
    Yes Donna

'19 Index 0.9 ~ 3.7
  • jwb10jwb10 Major Winner Mars 1034WRX Points: 150Members Posts: 1,034

I can't get a feel for them. Granted, the weather has been horrid, and I have hit some good shots but I've hit some shots that I thought were horrible that turned out fine. Then, I think I flushed one, right down the stack, only to flutter helplessly to the ground. And neither time did I feel any real difference. Just a clang and wait for the landing.....

Posted:
  • JkinluvJkinluv  45WRX Points: 28Members Posts: 45

I did the same thing. I couldn't hit 500s for snot. My dispersion was quite big. Moved to i210s and never looked backm

Posted:

Advertisement
  • IamMarkMacIamMarkMac SF Bay Area 736WRX Points: 245Members Posts: 736

The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.
    I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

Posted:
    Bag 1                                                                 Bag 2
    Ping G400 LST 10                                             Epon Technicity 9
    Ping G400 3W 14.5                                          TM R9 3W 14
    Ping G400 3H 19                                              Miura 3H 19
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Mizuno s18 50, 54, 58                                     Miura 51, 56 k-grind
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • kiwihackerkiwihacker  740WRX Points: 164Members Posts: 740

On -, @IamMarkMac said:

The impression that stuck after I tested these was that I couldn't get a handle on the feel. It definitely did not feel like a cast club but it wasn't like a forged club either. As such, I couldn't tell if I liked them. At which point, I told myself if I can't tell if I like something, I probably don't.
    I was more impressed with the G700. That club, at least, was everything advertised. I may not play it but I can appreciate it for what it is.

Where is the I500 supposed to fit in? It looks like a blade but it is obviously more of a GI/distance iron.

Also what is the deal with the G700? Where does that fit in compared to the i200/i210 and the G400/G410?

Posted:
    Cobra King F9  Driver 10.5° Atmos Blue 6 stiff
    17° Callaway X Hot 4 wood
    20.5°& 23° Cleveland DST Launcher hybrids
    Taylormade R7 TP 4-PW irons
    Cleveland RTX 2 52°/10°, RTX 3 58°/9°
    Ping Anser Sigma 2 putter
  • dpb5031dpb5031 Jupiter, FL 5590WRX Points: 1,125Members Posts: 5,590

Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

Posted:
    USGA Index: ~1

WITB:
    Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
    Taylormade M2 Tour 15 Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
    Kasco K2K 33 - UST Axivcore 65 Tour Green 
    Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
    Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
    Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
    Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
    Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
    Taylormade TP5X Ball
  • gvogelgvogel  7985WRX Points: 988Members Posts: 7,985

On -, @dpb5031 said:

Will be interesting to see what (if anything) Ping decides to do about a second generation i500.

I would be interested in a second generation if it had a little more offset and could fit in with G410's, or i210's. At the moment, it seems iblade users are using an i500 for their longest iron.

Posted:
    Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse
  • AzSuperHack76AzSuperHack76  1603WRX Points: 187ClubWRX Posts: 1,603

On -, @kiwihacker said:

On -, @IamMarkMac said:

Where is the I500 supposed to fit in? It looks like a blade but it is obviously more of a GI/distance iron.

Also what is the deal with the G700? Where does that fit in compared to the i200/i210 and the G400/G410?

500 is a players distance iron.

I'd say the 700's are more super game improvement.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • jlyjly  16WRX Points: 27Members Posts: 16

I've been playing the i500 this year (came from AP2) and really like them. Absolutely took some getting used to (especially with distances) but I've grown to really like the feel. Absolutely feel like I can trust the distances too.

Posted:

On -, @kiwihacker said:

On -, @IamMarkMac said:

From the marketing, in order of player to SGI, it goes iBlade > i210 > i500 > G410 > G700. So i500 is definitely in the players distance iron category.
    G700 is SGI. I believe they literally were looking to use hybrid technology all the way to the wedges and the G700 is what they came up with.

Posted:
    Mizuno JPX 919 Hot Metal Pro 5-P               Epon 503 4-P Nippon Super Peening Orange
    Bettinardi BB1                                                  Scotty Cameron Newport 2

On -, @jly said:

I've been playing the i500 this year (came from AP2) and really like them. Absolutely took some getting used to (especially with distances) but I've grown to really like the feel. Absolutely feel like I can trust the distances too.

"So, you're telling me there's a chance??"

Posted:
  • JutJut "Don't give up. Don't ever give up."  763WRX Points: 87Members Posts: 763

I spent a lot of $ on my i500s and tried and tried and tried to make them work. I never consistently liked the feel (even after adding some hot melt to the cavities) and the performance was not there either (I played them for several months/rounds/range sessions). I've only had my F9's for a brief moment, yet am already substantially more comfortable with them (sound/feel/performance).

Posted:
    Ping G410 LST 10.5*
    Ping G410 16* 
    PXG 0317 21*
    Mizuno MP-20 HMB 5-PW
    Callaway MD5 Jaws 52* 58*
    Odyssey Marxman S
  • ggproggpro  577WRX Points: 95Members Posts: 577

Sorry to hear you don’t like them ....they are the best irons I have ever owned ! About 5 of my friends bought them by trying mine.

Posted:

Advertisement

On -, @ggpro said:

Sorry to hear you don’t like them ....they are the best irons I have ever owned ! About 5 of my friends bought them by trying mine.

Yeah, I'm surprised at how polarizing they are. I had thought that a forged club by Ping would have been a slam dunk but it hasn't really turned out that way.

Posted:
  • MaxBuckMaxBuck  447WRX Points: 202Members Posts: 447

On -, @IamMarkMac said:

Yeah, I'm surprised at how polarizing they are. I had thought that a forged club by Ping would have been a slam dunk but it hasn't really turned out that way.

Well, they're not really forged clubs. But Ping says they are. So that's part of my problem with them; they have a very harsh feel.

Probably the single most serious case of buyer's remorse I've ever experienced with golf clubs. Nonetheless I'm playing pretty well with them, so it could certainly be a lot worse.

Posted:
  • EzgolferEzgolfer  3172WRX Points: 145Members Posts: 3,172

Could not find the sweet spot feel on i500’s. Swapped with cobra because/cb. What a difference in just 2 range sessions.

Posted:

On -, @Ezgolfer said:

Could not find the sweet spot feel on i500’s. Swapped with cobra because/cb. What a difference in just 2 range sessions.

that's it, I know it's there, but where ?

Posted:
  • mantanmantan  2609WRX Points: 190Members Posts: 2,609

I don't have them, but a close buddy bought some over the winter. He's trying to make them love him, but he's struggled with them all year. He has some serious buyer's remorse. He had planned to buy new irons for a year. The i500s weren't on his radar, but what gave the best numbers at an indoor fitting.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis

Advertisement
  • StonewalledStonewalled  1596WRX Points: 149Members Posts: 1,596

I had hit the demo 7 iron on a few occasions with impressive results for me, centre strikes, decent feel I was sold. Picked up a set off a member, only the PW and 7 iron had been hit. My indoor/outdoor range testing and early spring course testing had me questioning my purchase big time. I couldn't hit a shot with them and was ready to sell them. I have had my share of many styles of irons and I have never been so stumped on a set of irons. Was thinking to self that I usually can hit just about anything to a certain degree so keep trying. Weather warmed up a touch so figured one more kick at the cat. Not sure what happened but all of a sudden these were the best irons I had ever hit. Hitting irons to areas I usually don't frequent. This particular course is so tight it's like playing golf in a phone booth. One has to be very precise in the iron department to keep a ball in play.
    I was ready to sell every other iron set I own. Was ready to buy a back up set. Standard Ho move. lol.
    As we all know reality creeps back into play and I'm having issues with the short irons. PW especially. These are the power spec models and I'm loving the 4-7 and possibly the 8. Just bought a set of i210's off another member and am waiting for there arrival. The PS i500 7 is so strong I am calling it my 6 iron, will a combo of those with 7-U wedge i210. Yup it's a sickness.......

Posted:

On -, @Jkinluv said:

I did the same thing. I couldn't hit 500s for snot. My dispersion was quite big. Moved to i210s and never looked backm

LOL

I'm not really a Ping guy but I think the i210 would be the model I would go for. They look really nice.

Posted:

On -, @mantan said:

I don't have them, but a close buddy bought some over the winter. He's trying to make them love him, but he's struggled with them all year. He has some serious buyer's remorse. He had planned to buy new irons for a year. The i500s weren't on his radar, but what gave the best numbers at an indoor fitting.

You have to hit clubs outdoors and see the real world ball flight IMO. Indoor testing might be Ok to nail down a driver fitting where you are trying to find the best loft, weight setting maybe but surely you need to hit them outdoors to truly see how they will perform.

Posted:
  • mantanmantan  2609WRX Points: 190Members Posts: 2,609

On -, @kiwihacker said:

On -, @mantan said:

You have to hit clubs outdoors and see the real world ball flight IMO. Indoor testing might be Ok to nail down a driver fitting where you are trying to find the best loft, weight setting maybe but surely you need to hit them outdoors to truly see how they will perform.

I totally agree. He was hellbent on going to Club Champion and getting the full fitting experience. While I get technology is great, I would never get fit for irons without hitting them off grass and seeing the actual ballflight.

Posted:
    WITB (as of 3/28/19)
    PING G400 Max 10.5*
    PING G400 5-Wood
    PING G25 20* Hybrid
    PING G25 23* Hybrid
    Srixon Z565 5-AW
    PING Stealth ES Glide 54*
    PING Glide ES 58*
    PING Sigma 2 Fetch
    Callaway Chrome Soft TruVis
  • blarkin97blarkin97  69WRX Points: 47Members Posts: 69

I have hit the i500 a couple times indoors at the simulator and couldn't get past the crap feel when you hit the ball.

I went with the i210's and I love them. While hitting them outdoors does help I believe that you can hit them indoors and still get a feel for how the ball feels coming off the club and that was important to me

Posted:
    PING G400 9* Stiff
    Callaway XR 16 3W 15*
    Adams Idea Super 3H 19*
    Adams Idea Super 4H 22*
    PING i210 5-U AWT 2.0 Stiff
    Cleveland CBX 54* & 58* TT Wedge Flex
    Odyssey O-Works Black #3T 34"

Advertisement
  • gators78gators78  3981WRX Points: 185ClubWRX Posts: 3,981

I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

Posted:
    G400 Max
    M6 3W
    RBZ Hybrid
    Arias
    Raw SM7s
    PM Grind 64*
    Exo Strokelab Mini #7

On -, @gators78 said:

I just don't understand the idea of a full set of distance irons, over the long run there has to be too much variability.

To me, distance irons are a good idea. More than just distance, a lot of golfers need confidence and looking at the heftier head does inspire the feeling that you'll make contact and it'll fly whereas a leaner head will remind you that you better make a good strike or it will punish you.
    If you're generally looking to score in the 80s, the variability won't kill you. You really just need to be around the green somewhere.

Posted:

On -, @jwb10 said:

On -, @Ezgolfer said:

that's it, I know it's there, but where ?

For me I feel like I found the sweet spot but didn't like it very much. To be fair, I didn't like the feel of P790s that much either so it could be that I just don't get along with hollow heads.

Posted:

Advertisement
  • arbeckarbeck Seattle 536WRX Points: 263Members Posts: 536

On -, @gators78 said:

There are a lot of people who struggle with distance. My wife for instance probably swings her 7i in the 60MPH hour range. She needs the hottest faces and the lowest CG possible to get the ball out there. For the average guy on WRX, who's swinging a 7i 80+, distance irons probably aren't needed. But as you age and your swing speed slows having that help is going to be nice. Things like the i500 are for the person who is used to playing a blade or a players CB and needs the extra height and distance.

Posted:
    Ping Traverse
    King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60 set at 9.5*
    TEE E8 4W, 7W
    Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
    TEE CB PROs 60*
    Scotty Cameron Squareback

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.