What's the deal with golf Channel's programing?

Titleist99

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @SavageCy said:

> > I wish they'd air more replays of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from back in the day

> I'm sure that after awhile we'd grow tired of those...that's why I'm for making some new ones....

>My bad I didn't read all the prior posts so missed where this was mentioned

TS3 9.5* Ventus  Black 60X
TS3 15*  Ventus Black 80X
716 TMB 3 C-Taper Lite X
718 AP2 4-9 KBS Tour X
SM7 47* 51* 55* 59* KBS Tour X
Milled 8802 w SS Pistol GT 2.0

> @SavageCy said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > > @SavageCy said:

> > > I wish they'd air more replays of Shell's Wonderful World of Golf from back in the day

> > I'm sure that after awhile we'd grow tired of those...that's why I'm for making some new ones....

> >My bad I didn't read all the prior posts so missed where this was mentioned

That's OK, as long as those executives hear us.....we are sick and tired of their programing and we are not going to take it anymore! LOL!

> @Rangeballz said:

> If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-up will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

The second they no longer have the coverage for those days is when NBC will likely look to either sell them off (probably to the Tour), or transition the network into something else. Given the stuff being negotiated doesn't start until 2021, we will have some time to prepare ourselves for whatever it is that's coming, at least.

Let's just hope that whatever gets negotiated isn't another 10 year deal. Things are changing too much at this point for things to just stay the same for that long.

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> > I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

>

> Do you mean sit down with a pro and have him analyze the program that he is watching? They could also have the champion narrate a tournament and let the viewing audience know what was going through his mind at the time and throw in some instruction regarding the shots he was hitting. That would only require some editing and a couple of chairs...

Exactly! Bring on guys like Montgomerie, Faldo, or Langer and have 'em commentate on their own taped television broadcasts. Or, bring on golf historians to commentate on the overall impacts of major events (Nicklaus/Palmer rivalry, how it formed, and the lasting influence, as just one example). Sort of a mini-documentary format overplayed on old TV broadcasts.

What's In The Bag?

Srixon Z565 Driver, 4W, 4H

Ping G400 5-U

Kirkland Sig Wedges

Odyssey White Hot Putter

Hyundai Equus Alignment Sticks

KSig balls for now - in search of something new

> @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> > @Titleist99 said:

> > > @HappyGilmoresBoots said:

> > > I wonder what it would take (and this applies to many other sports as well) to review old matches or tournaments through the lens of a 2019 golfer. Something akin to a DVD commentary, where the directors/producers (in this example, the color commentators) can look back on the impact that any one particular match had on the remainder of the season, or for the following few years...maybe with some little historical or trivia tidbits.

> >

> > Do you mean sit down with a pro and have him analyze the program that he is watching? They could also have the champion narrate a tournament and let the viewing audience know what was going through his mind at the time and throw in some instruction regarding the shots he was hitting. That would only require some editing and a couple of chairs...

>

> Exactly! Bring on guys like Montgomerie, Faldo, or Langer and have 'em commentate on their own taped television broadcasts. Or, bring on golf historians to commentate on the overall impacts of major events (Nicklaus/Palmer rivalry, how it formed, and the lasting influence, as just one example). Sort of a mini-documentary format overplayed on old TV broadcasts.

I was thinking more like Mystery Science Theater 3k.

It's all driven by ratings, obligations and other factors. Shells is that best shit ever, it probably just doesn't rate well when they air it. On a side note, you can check all their VOD offerings and they have good stuff on there. Currently there are Masters, US Open and Ryder highlights as well as other fun stuff.

T Bone Steak, Cheese Eggs, and Welch's Grape

Taylormade Stealth 2+ - MCA Kai'li Blue 60s

Callaway Epic Speed 3w & 5w - Project X HZRDUS Smoke im10 70s 

Taylormade '21 P790 4-gw - MCA MMT 105s

Taylormade Hi Toe 2 Raw 54, 58 - Aldila NV Black 105s

Wilson Staff Infitinte Buckingham

Srixon Z Star 🔷

> @Rangeballz said:

> If you think it's bad now (and it is), imagine how bad it will be if they lose the Thu/Fri broadcast rights for most tour events. I understand those negotiations are going on now. The line-up will consist of Tin Cup, endless Feherty reruns, and infomercials.

If the GC loses rights to cover tour events, Im fairly certain the channel will be taken off the air or re-branded by NBC to be another all-sports network like NBCSN....much like how Fox turned the Speed Channel into FS1. Its a certain guarantee that NBC would make more money if Golf Channel became like NBCSN2 and expanded its sports programming to include something other than just golf.

Golf Channel lost its way as soon as it started replacing some of its very good instructional programming with other stuff. Back in the day, Golf Channel Academy was must-see programming for golf fans. Now, its just watered-down productions with instructors who are just looking to keep their profiles as high as possible. And the few times they get players to do instructional shows, its usually because the player wants to promote something they are doing for their own personal business interests.

Live sports programming is the most expensive programming to produce for TV networks, and the costs are only getting higher with the technology and overhead needed to broadcast these events. The reason why GC runs what they do during non-tournament times (like Tin Cup reruns) is because they don't have the money allocated to put together and produce new programming. With Arnold now having been gone for a couple of years, I think it wouldnt be shocking at all to see Golf Channel re-branded completely in the not too distant future to a network that covers golf, but also covers other sports as well.

PXG 0811X Proto 9*
Ping G30 14.5*

Ping G20 Hybrid 17*
PXG 0317X Gen 2 22*
Ping K15 4 Hybrid

Ping Rapture J-Spec 5 Iron

Ping i5 6 Iron

Ping S59 7-PW
Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*, 58*
Ping Zing 2 BeCu

NBC is in the business of making content for the masses, meaning for people who are at an emotional development level of a 14 year old.

Their mission is to make stupid people even more stupid by having them watch commercials for junk food and diet plans as they sit overweight and slack jawed with drool coming out of the corner of their mouths as they eat junk food.

The Golf Channel viewers are older and not as dumb as the average person and that's a problem for the suits at NBC. They don't know what to do. Actually, they don't care what the viewers think. They only care what the advertising agencies who place the orders think. You, the golfer, are an irrelevant nuisance.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

its pretty sad when i can find more interesting and entertaining golf programs on youtube than what the entire golf channel network can put together. check out some of the NoLayingUp stuff... tell me GC couldn't come up with anything similar? find some entertaining guys, send them on a golf trip, and film their experiences, play, and interviews.

This shouldn't really be this hard...but current golf network producers are slapping themselves on the back pretending actual golf tv coverage is so great because they've managed to get some aerial drone coverage, when in reality all i see is a cameraman zooming so close to the ball on the green as it rolls towards the hole that i can't see the course, the fans, the player, etc., or 5 back to back tap ins followed by commercials

Ping G400 LST 10 w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 75g
TM M2 3HL w/ Rogue Black 70 S
Cobra F8 19*
J15CB w/ Modus 120X 4-P
Cleveland RTX3 CB 50 54 58
TM Spider Tour Black w/ T-sightline 36" 

Shell's WWOG is timeless. Those reruns and also a modern equivalent would be nice.

A new show featuring vintage club players and old courses that suit them. Maybe title it, Hickory Sticks.

Special features on college players, the seed-corn of tour play.

Men vs women (like what you see on Golfholics). Keep it fun. Let them boast about their game at the intro. Maybe call it, He Said, She Said.

Just my ten cents . . .

Adams Speedline 9088UL 10.5* AXIVCore 69 Black (S) Ping G SF Tec 3W, 5W Alta 65 (R) Ping G 4H,5H Alta 70 (R) Ping G 6-U TT XP 95 (soft R) Ping Glide 54*, 58* WS TT XP 100 (R) Ping Darby Sigma G

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> its pretty sad when i can find more interesting and entertaining golf programs on youtube than what the entire golf channel network can put together. check out some of the NoLayingUp stuff... tell me GC couldn't come up with anything similar? find some entertaining guys, send them on a golf trip, and film their experiences, play, and interviews.

>

> This shouldn't really be this hard...but current golf network producers are slapping themselves on the back pretending actual golf tv coverage is so great because they've managed to get some aerial drone coverage, when in reality all i see is a cameraman zooming so close to the ball on the green as it rolls towards the hole that i can't see the course, the fans, the player, etc., or 5 back to back tap ins followed by commercials

TGC has routinely gotten away from the things that the more than casual golf fan enjoys. They no longer have the travel stuff, the real instruction stuff, the showing of real golf. etc. and they don't seem to care. It's not exactly like they are going to be able to just make TGC into something that is a lot of different sports seeing as they have NBCSports already and don't really have a ton more content to make that model work.

There was a NLU podcast with Jeff Neubarth that he basically said the same thing you did. He hates showing that kind of thing and hates the amount of commercials that are shown and how they are shown. Showing a bunch of putts and then cutting to some blimp view, random interview, booth thing, sponsor thing, etc. is going to get to the point that even more casual golf fans have no interest in watching and they are going to have a hard time selling any commercial spots. With the new contracts being negotiated for 2021 and beyond, my real hope is they are looking at things like that, as well as not having contracts that run for 10+ years like the current one has. There is so much that changes in technology at this point, they are going to need to learn how to embrace it. Learning to offer more streaming, more feeds, more of everything. While that may not mean you can sell commercials on all of it, I can say that I would happily pay a fee to be able to just watch golf similar to what happened with "the match".

> @ExTrumpet said:

> Quit complaining about Tin Cup and Bobby Jones...

>

> ![](https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/9e/Sydney-Galaxy-homebush.jpg/333px-Sydney-Galaxy-homebush.jpg "")

>

Well, soccer for me is right up there with tooth pulling but The Golf Channel is making me go there! I may have to start watching that nonsense....LOL! Nah!

I doubt the Golf Channel has been shown on my TV for 20 hours total in the 2-1/2 years since I discovered Premier League on NBCSN.

What a concept, showing "sports" that consists of players actually playing their game for 45 minutes in a row. Rather than 5 seconds of play out of every 60 seconds of air time.

> @Anser3 said:

> No cable or satellite here, so no Golf Channel. However, I used to love _What's in the Bag_ It was the 30 minute show hosted by Adam Barr (I think I ahve the show title correct) where they would spotlight different golf companies or products.

> @Anser3 said:

> No cable or satellite here, so no Golf Channel. However, I used to love _What's in the Bag_ It was the 30 minute show hosted by Adam Barr (I think I ahve the show title correct) where they would spotlight different golf companies or products.

I remember that show. I thought that it was very informative and gave us a good look at what the Pros was playing and more importantly, Why... Now we rely on GolfWRX…..LOL!

Well, Well, Well......Let me be the first to say that Michelle Wie did a great job of commentary on Golf Central regarding The Solhiem Cup (IMO). I remember her as a goofy teenager giggling all the time but she was polished and professional....well done Michelle.

Note: I'd replace Rich Lerner with her in a New York minute..LOL!

> @Titleist99 said:

> > @Anser3 said:

> > No cable or satellite here, so no Golf Channel. However, I used to love _What's in the Bag_ It was the 30 minute show hosted by Adam Barr (I think I ahve the show title correct) where they would spotlight different golf companies or products.

>

> > @Anser3 said:

> > No cable or satellite here, so no Golf Channel. However, I used to love _What's in the Bag_ It was the 30 minute show hosted by Adam Barr (I think I ahve the show title correct) where they would spotlight different golf companies or products.

>

> I remember that show. I thought that it was very informative and gave us a good look at what the Pros was playing and more importantly, Why... Now we rely on GolfWRX…..LOL!

I had two episodes record on VHS. One was a spotlight look at Ping. It was from early 2004. The detailed the history of teh company briefly then focused on the casting process and Ping's philosphy for the design of the G2 irons, s59 irons, Si3 driver, and g2 fairway woods. they also talked about Ping's golf bag designs and the G2 putters. I loved Ping clubs before that, but that was my first major source of information on the history of the company.

The other episode was from the same time frame and was about golf ball design. Much of the focus was on the Srixon and Bridgestone brands. They also gave some insight as to how amateurs should choose their golf ball along with pricing tiers (the Pro V1 was obviously king then as it is now). Callaway's offerings were teh HX Red and Blue. The HX Tiur had just come to market. Precept had the U-Tri. That was where I learned Pinnacle was owned by Acushnet. I also learned about the history of the golf ball.

I rely on the Golf Channel to keep up to date on all the latest 'wonder' drugs that big pharma is pushing on us. I swear that for a while there it was like 70% drug advertising and 30% G7-X metal

Seriously though the recent Tin Cup repeat marathon was awesome! I often wake up in the middle of the night screaming "just lay it up Roy!!!"

> @HoosierMizuno said:

> its pretty sad when i can find more interesting and entertaining golf programs on youtube than what the entire golf channel network can put together. check out some of the NoLayingUp stuff... tell me GC couldn't come up with anything similar? find some entertaining guys, send them on a golf trip, and film their experiences, play, and interviews.

>

> This shouldn't really be this hard...but current golf network producers are slapping themselves on the back pretending actual golf tv coverage is so great because they've managed to get some aerial drone coverage, when in reality all i see is a cameraman zooming so close to the ball on the green as it rolls towards the hole that i can't see the course, the fans, the player, etc., or 5 back to back tap ins followed by commercials

yep ...i've watched mark crossfield the past couple of weeks ... formby & porthcawl rounds ... damn sight more interesting than tin cup ...