2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

I really don't see the point in scrambles

Yeah, I love scrambles. Free beer, lying, cheating, crashing golf carts...and these are the law enforcement ones!

If it gets me away from work, I'm in. I never expect to win and try to have a great time. My group of guys are mid to high handicap and I make sure we don't fudge our score. Did I mention I never expect to win?

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]10.5* PING G30 Tour 65S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]15* TM RBZ Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]18.5* TM RBZ Tour Matrix Ozik 7S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]21.5* Bio Cell Hybrid[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]5-AW Srixon z545 C-Taper Lite S[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]PING Glide 54*SS, 58*TS[/color][/size][/font]
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][size=3][color=#FF0000]Taylormade DLL+ 36"[/color][/size][/font]

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='BuckyBadger' timestamp='1401748153' post='9416807']
Yeah, I love scrambles. Free beer, lying, cheating, crashing golf carts...and these are the law enforcement ones!

If it gets me away from work, I'm in. I never expect to win and try to have a great time. My group of guys are mid to high handicap and I make sure we don't fudge our score. Did I mention I never expect to win?
[/quote]

That's the best attitude to have! Scrambles are meant to enjoy the company and have a blast.

Good for beginning and end of the golf season and typically a really fun time with friends, but if you go expecting to win a bunch of cash prizes, well that's your fault. Go for fun and to support whatever they may be supporting but don't go for prizes.

TM M4 10.5 Mitsubishi Rayon Tensei White 70X
Callaway Rogue 4 wood Hzrdus Yellow 6.5
TM Stage 2 tour hybrid 22* Altus 85X
SLDR 5-PW C Taper 120s
Cleveland CBX 50*
TM MG2 54*, 58*
Toulon Atlanta H4

My friend won a set of Ping K15 irons last year and I won a Ping Anser wedge. Not a bad year.
I am happy to support the charities I play scrambles in. It's meant to be fun, so I have fun. You can just opt out of any additional costs.

[b]Getting angry about charity scrambles is like getting pissed off at Girl Scout cookies for making you fat.[/b]

TM SLDR 460 set to 10.5° 70g Aldila VS Proto 44"
TM RBZ Stage 2 Tour 14.5° & 19°
Maltby KE4 Tour 22° Hybrid
PING G25 4-UW CFS
Maltby M-Series+ 54° and sometimes 58°
Odyssey White Ice #7 37" counter balanced and a SpryEvo TeCu insert
WS FG Tour(2014) or ProV1x

[quote name='Agent Jim' timestamp='1401749613' post='9416979']

[b]Getting angry about charity scrambles is like getting pissed off at Girl Scout cookies for making you fat.[/b]
[/quote]

But they taste so good and now I'm fat. Damn girl scouts

Ping G30 SFT (RIp Alpha)
Taylormade Jetspeed 3 Wood (RIP Alpha)
Taylormade SLDR 5 Wood (Kai'li)
Ping G25 (4-U) (Nippon 950gh)
Taylormade ATV 58*
Bettinardi Signature 6

[quote name='Mario Good Times' timestamp='1401738808' post='9415817']
There has to other golf ways to raise money. I'm so done with these scrambles. I can no longer feel ok asking my friends to play in these..
[/quote]
Good Times!

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

Hmm... I much prefer singles tourneys or 2-man alternate/best ball or whatever else, but I still really enjoy scrambles. I don't know what type of tourneys you play, but I have never won $30. Hell 3 summers ago I made almost as much money playing scrambles for 4 months as I did at my job (granted I was a greens keeper for $10 an hour)... Hole prizes, raffles, gross/net divisions, calcuttas, post tourney derbies, maybe I'm just lucky? I would still play even if the prizes were slim to nothing. It's a good break from every day stroke play and usually it's a good reason to get my buddies from out of town to come hang out. I would say I play 10-15 tourneys each season and 80% of them are scrambles. 2 years ago a group of guys asked me to play in one and we only shot -3 gross and I still had a blast. I'm pretty sure we took last place... Can't say I've ever regretted playing one.

Titleist 909 D2 Diamana Blueboard
Titleist 909 F2 Diamana Blueboard
Mizuno MP69 3-P S300
Nike Engage 52 S - 56 TS - 60 S
Guerin Rife Cayman Brac
Sun Mountain SwiftX
Taylormade Tour Preferred

[quote name='Mario Good Times' timestamp='1401735720' post='9415347']
Most 4 man scrambles are over priced by 70 bucks compared to the normal prices of green fees . The pace is horrible . They sale you everything they can , for raffles to moligans. Then every par 3 has someone on the tee box selling you something else. It's a 250 dollar day for what? The winning prize is some worthless $30 item, when you just beat 30 plus teams. Never again for me . I'll play regular golf from here on
[/quote]

Most 4 man scrambles are over priced by 70 bucks compared to the normal prices of green fees . The pace is horrible . They sale you everything they can , for raffles to moligans. Then every par 3 has someone on the tee box selling you something else. It's a 250 dollar day for what? The winning prize is some worthless $30 item, when you just beat 30 plus teams. Never again for me . I'll play regular golf from here on
[/quote]

Just say'in...

[quote name='razz11' timestamp='1401797488' post='9419987']
Hmm... I much prefer singles tourneys or 2-man alternate/best ball or whatever else, but I still really enjoy scrambles. I don't know what type of tourneys you play, but I have never won $30. Hell 3 summers ago I made almost as much money playing scrambles for 4 months as I did at my job (granted I was a greens keeper for $10 an hour)... Hole prizes, raffles, gross/net divisions, calcuttas, post tourney derbies, maybe I'm just lucky? I would still play even if the prizes were slim to nothing. It's a good break from every day stroke play and usually it's a good reason to get my buddies from out of town to come hang out. I would say I play 10-15 tourneys each season and 80% of them are scrambles. 2 years ago a group of guys asked me to play in one and we only shot -3 gross and I still had a blast. I'm pretty sure we took last place... Can't say I've ever regretted playing one.
[/quote]

Pretty much sums up how I feel. I like the team aspect a scramble gives you. I get to play a competitive round with my friends as teammates. Yes, the charity ones with one team per hole are a hotbed of cheating, but I know that going in. The real ones though are just as competitive as a stroke play tournament.

Plus in some places (like my area) there just aren't very many different formats, especially stroke play. If you want to play tournament golf without traveling a 100 miles or more, you're playing a scramble.

It's mindless golf for entertainment. It's the most loose way of playing golf and having a good time. Drink some beer and swing out of your shoes on every shot. Signed me up...I'll help whomever I can with my money.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

scrambles are typically for fund raisers which I have no problem donating to. I fill the bag up with some callaway HOT balls and go have a fun and relaxing afternoon with friends and you wouldn't believe the networking that goes on....everyone wins.

Callaway Rogue 10.5* (D & -1*) w/ GD Tour AD-DI 6 Stiff
Callaway RFX 16.5* w/ Fubuki Tour 63g Stiff
Callaway RFX 21* w/ Fubuki Tour 73g Stiff
TaylorMade MC TP 4-PW w/ Aerotech i125cw Reg
Callaway PM 54* & 58*
Odyssey #9 Stroke Lab - 33"
The one's I hit into the woods and into the water.

So to all those who are throwing out the "it's for a good cause", "you're supporting a charity" stuff, why do you need to get a round of golf out of it in order to support them? If they're so worthy, why not just write a check?

After all, if it's about the charity, why do you need to get anything at all out of it?

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401800052' post='9420203']
So to all those who are throwing out the "it's for a good cause", "you're supporting a charity" stuff, why do you need to get a round of golf out of it in order to support them? If they're so worthy, why not just write a check?

After all, if it's about the charity, why do you need to get anything at all out of it?
[/quote]

Who says we/they don't??? I do both. Especially for causes that are close to me.
And why can't I get a fun round of golf for the money that I'm donating?

Some causes don't have a set place to simply drop a check. A golf tournament is a way to get people involved, to donate, at a set time. Like StLouis stated earlier from his even this year, a well run event should pull in the neighborhood of $10k for the charity. What's wrong with that? All while "giving" a round of golf to the donors...

The funnest scrambles I play in are the nine hole events played immediately following my golf Leagues two outings.

The teams are chosen by the scores just shot, everyone throws 10 bucks in, winning team takes all.

The first course we play finishes on a must-carry-the-water par 3 and the last few teams in know exactly what they need to win. The green is surrounded by fellow leaguers (most of them fairly well lubed by then).

One of my "almost an ace" shots came on that very hole.

It's the closest I get to having a gallery! Loads of fun.

X________________________________ Sign Here

[/quote]

I play in one every year that his held by my old English teacher, money raised goes to the local spelling bee competition.

Picking the right scramble is half the challenge!!!!!!!!!! :golfer:[size=4] [/size]

They allow people who suck to get out and find some level of enjoyment in the game.

Being the vast majority if scrambles are charitable, you get substantially more participants who would normally never play a "tournament".

You can play drunk.

There are often scantily clad volunteers ( if you play the good ones).

:)

XRP 8.5* XS
XRP #3 XS
Cally Apex MB 3i-9i PX 7.0
Cally MD3 52*/56*/60*
Scotty Studio Select Custom

[quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1401807310' post='9421119']
They allow people who suck to get out and find some level of enjoyment in the game.

Being the vast majority if scrambles are charitable, you get substantially more participants who would normally never play a "tournament".

You can play drunk.

[b]There are often scantily clad volunteers[/b] ( if you play the good ones).

[/quote]

I wish there are some scrambles around here with that. :pimp:

Likewise as many posters mentioned, all scrambles I've played in are charitable ones. I might suck at golf but I usually enjoy playing in those. I can't recall playing in one that lasted over 4 1/2 to 5 hours.

Now I'm off to play in a local YMCA/Dare scramble in a hour or so. :wave:

63 yr old's Bag of Hacking Utensils

TM Qi10 9*, GD XC-6 stiff

TM Qi10 Tour 15*

SIM2 Max 21* Diamana 75-S

Qi10 Rescue 25* & 28* UST V2

TM P770 5-PW, DG120 S300

TM MG4 50*, 54* & 58* DG 120 S300

Odyssey White Ice DART 46"

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1401800476' post='9420265']

[/quote]

Who says we/they don't??? I do both. Especially for causes that are close to me.

Some causes don't have a set place to simply drop a check. A golf tournament is a way to get people involved, to donate, at a set time. Like StLouis stated earlier from his even this year, a well run event should pull in the neighborhood of $10k for the charity. What's wrong with that? All while "giving" a round of golf to the donors...
[/quote]

How much did the round(and all the stuff that comes with it) take off the top of what you "donated"? If the money is for sick kids, wouldn't the money that went to pay for your round, etc., be better used if it went, you know, to the kids?

And I have never heard of a charity that didn't have several ways to donate to them. Unless they are now defunct. *Every* charity will make it as easy as possibly to give them money.

[size=4] [/size]
[size=4][quote name='RRFireblade' timestamp='1401807310' post='9421119'][/size]

You can play drunk.

There are often scantily clad volunteers ( if you play the good ones).

[/quote]

RRF, the problem with our scrambles is that you really don't want the volunteers to be scantily clad (shudders at the thought!) :fie:[size=4] [/size][size=4] :fie:[/size]

[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401808757' post='9421289']

[/quote]

[/quote]

How much did the round(and all the stuff that comes with it) take off the top of what you "donated"? If the money is for sick kids, wouldn't the money that went to pay for your round, etc., be better used if it went, you know, to the kids?

And I have never heard of a charity that didn't have several ways to donate to them. Unless they are now defunct. *Every* charity will make it as easy as possibly to give them money.
[/quote]

Really? Raising $10k in one day is a bad thing to you??? It gets people that wouldn't otherwise donate $$$$ to donate. Maybe its the "what's in it for me" syndrome for some, maybe it's habit of charities doing tournaments. I can tell you that I have been involved in 3 charity tournaments and we raised over $40k, and that was 10 years ago.

And, in case you missed it, I stated that I donate in several ways. Cash. Check. Bar nights. Raffles. Walks. Golf tournaments. My time.

If you don't want to play in charity scrambles, don't. But quite frankly paying $100 a person for a round of golf that would typically cost me $50 doesn't bother me. I *could* pay the $50 to play, then cut them a check for $50, but spending that time with other people with the same mindset to raise money for that cause isn't a burden to me as it seems to be for others. (And if you set up the tournament, food, and prizes properly, the "take" should be in the 35% range.)

I work as professional staff at a University and someone organized a faculty staff golf league that plays after work in a scramble format. The idea is to team up with people you have not meet and network/socialize. It is nine holes and they have no prizes this session. I played in it last Fall when they had pro shop credit ( Like $5 ) and it was a bit too nutsy for me.

You would register and pay in the pro shop. One of the PGM management students would set up the foursomes. It turned out that some players would go up and complain that they wanted to play with certain people putting the student on the spot. It was all to better the chance of winning that big prize.

I like the format this time around better. I have met some interesting people higher up the food chain that I would have never met otherwise. Golf is a great way to see someone's character.

As far as playing in a charity scramble, I would hesitate depending on what it was for. It would be more fun if it was with folks I regularly play with and not someone that frowns on a poor shot because we might not win that $5 shop credit.

[color=#000000][font=Calibri, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, EmojiFont,]The Bitterness of Poor Quality Remains Long after the Sweetness of Low Prices is Forgotten.[/font][/color]

[quote name='vtnerf' timestamp='1401809672' post='9421451']
[quote name='Bluefan75' timestamp='1401808757' post='9421289']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? Raising $10k in one day is a bad thing to you??? It gets people that wouldn't otherwise donate $$$$ to donate. Maybe its the "[b]what's in it for me"[/b]syndrome for some, maybe it's habit of charities doing tournaments. I can tell you that I have been involved in 3 charity tournaments and we raised over $40k, and that was 10 years ago.

And, in case you missed it, I stated that I donate in several ways. Cash. Check. Bar nights. Raffles. Walks. Golf tournaments. My time.

If you don't want to play in charity scrambles, don't. But quite frankly paying $100 a person for a round of golf that would typically cost me $50 doesn't bother me. I *could* pay the $50 to play, then cut them a check for $50, but spending that time with other people with the same mindset to raise money for that cause isn't a burden to me as it seems to be for others. (And if you set up the tournament, food, and prizes properly, the "take" should be in the 35% range.)
[/quote]

35%. And that's a *should*. So not only do you(generic you, not you specifically) get something, but there's a bunch of people who get paid before the charity. And that doesn't strike you as backwards at all?

The "what's in it for me" is especially awful. I'm convinced most people don't participate because they think it's a good cause, it's so they can say "Look at how great a person I am for doing this for a good cause."

At least you're paying out of your own pocket in order to "do something", not collecting pledges like some "charities."

Yeah, there are a lot of shoulds and coulds out there. However, I ask again, how is raising $10k for a charity a bad thing? How much of that would be raised if nothing else changed, and the tournament was NOT held? $100? $200? You're picking at small points, I'm saying that raising money in any capacity is a good thing. Maybe it could be more. Maybe it could ZERO. Maybe it could be a different way. However, at the end of the day, the charity scramble for a good cause is not a bad thing.

As for the people getting paid before the charity, I'm not sure what you are referring to, but I don't participate in them. I know the people and the causes that I support. And if someone wants to pat themselves on the back for donating money to a good cause, then so be it. I would rather they come to the course a little smug than sit at the bar and just spend it on something else besides the charity.

I play in three scrambles each year. A family reunion, a rural school fund raiser so they can have athletics and my wife's office party event.
All are great fun and I look forward to playing. It fosters team play and helps team bonding.

The family reunion scramble is the highlight of a 3 day weekend for most of the participants. You've got 80 year olds trash talking with 17 year old family members. Email trash talking starts about 2 months before that weekend between everyone. It's the round of golf I most look forward to all year.

Yet again, I'm amazed at the number of GOLFWRX'ers who think WAY TOO much of themselves and need to get a life.

Driver: Titleist TS3, 8.5°

2 Wood: Adams InSight XTD, 10.5°

Fairway: Callaway Rogue ST Max LS, 18°

Utility Iron: Titleist 718 AP3, 19°

Irons: Titleist 718 AP1, 5-GW, 24°-48°
UW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 52°F

LW: Titleist Vokey SM8, 60°D
Putter: Bettinardi inovai 6.0 slant neck, 34"
Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX
Bag: Sun Mountain Metro Sunday Bag