2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Just picked up a set of ‘57 Hogan Precisions off eBay with Brunswick Rifle 6.0’s. Played 9 with them when they arrived and the feel is so much better than a set of ‘59 Sabers I had many years ago that had the original stiff shafts. Shaft technology really makes a difference. Just ordered some cord grips for them. 2020 looking like it’s going to be a lot of fun.

XAQS4HA4QTY1.jpeg

HZSK0M6QAR36.jpeg

• Like 3

Stu,

I finally saw that post?? There were quite a few hustlers around Greensboro, specifically, Sedgefield that did that conversion as well. One of those guys took a nice little chunk of ? off Christy O'Connor Jr. in a match I may have seen? (wasn't me) and subsequently lost a set (or two) of those irons to same in a later match. Now there's a conspiracy theory about how some of them got across the pond? Hope you have a safe, blessed, and prosperous New Year, my friend.

Titleist TSR2 10* (d4 surefit) Fujikura Motore Speeder 7.2s
Titleist 904f 17* YS7+s
Titleist 962b 3-pw s300
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 52* s400
Cleveland zipcore tour rack custom 58* s400
Ping Zing2 BeCu

LOL and the Mac Hogan conspiracy lives on. Same to you on the New year

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Couple more pictures of the SS1s. I can't work out what happened with these. They don't look to have ever been hit, but most have some abrasion marks on their backs, and one or two have scratched faces. Also, the SW has a different serial number from the rest of the set. The 1-PW have the blackened faces, but the SW doesn't. I think that is consistent with other commemorative SS1 sets like this.

Anyway, I got them to play, and play them I will.

V0BC6Y907UMV.jpg

O7S706VB0HSD.jpg

Well the arrow and logo does point to the weight in the back and the arrows on the crown do add to alignment----- Yeah I will agree it is just effective as Jailbird technology but with a touch of more class. Knowing what I know about Stan Thompson equipment head wise I bet that head is perfectly balanced. Yeah back in the day when real craftsmen hand made stuff and cared about the quality

• Like 1

A lot of times with FC faces it is hard to tell if they have been hit any. It takes a whole lot to show wear on FC faces. I assume those came from Japan. And correct me here I have read and heard a lot of folks in Japan do not actually play golf they just hit at the range off of mats. Out of all the FCs I have messed with over the years I have only seen one that was worn. That was the dual sole PW that went with the old man's set that I still have ( I do not have that wedge). He carried that wedge from 62 until he retired in 85 or so. Last time I saw it was around 85 or so and the black was completely worn off the face along with the grooves and it was a split sole with Macgregor D S on the sole. The sole was so worn out that the writing was non existent and you could barely see the indention on the split sole. That club went through pure h e l l in it's lifetime because he used it from traps and all. When he played his last round of golf he played with me and when we finished he gave me the FCs. He had a Hogan Equalizer in the bag which I found strange because he never played Hogan equipment because he detested Ben Hogan for some reason. He told me he gave his friend Charlie that wedge because Charlie told him he had beat him out of a battleship full of money with that thing. He was not clear where he got the Equalizer because he was 85 years old at the time and his memory was failing.

But yeah If I had those I would play them after I did a shaft change no way now I would try to swing those Pro Pels with that head

Those Precision 5.5 s are some great shafts I have a set in some KZG forged CBs and they hit like butter. Got me to thinking on that. May do my 57 Diamondbacks or one of my sets of 62 FCs with either them or a set of FST 90s I have

These aren't the originals, but a commemorative set from the Eighties (86?), so the shafts aren't ProPel, but DGS400s. Heavy, but nothing like a ProPel 1.

You're kind of right about the hitting off mats. Lots of golfer here only get to practice off mats and may play once a month at most on a proper course, so that leaves the clubs in great condition. But these don't even have any signs of wear on the sole that can come from hitting off mats (faint abrasion lines). My latest theory is that these are basically an estate sale, and they were rusty when they were found after the owner died, so whoever found them decided to clean them up with a wire brush. That would explain the abrasive lines quite well.

Catchy --- Sounds plausible to me on the clean up---- Still for me the S-400 would be a stretch in fact S-300s are a stretch for me now. I can play S-300 for like 9 holes now but have to watch how I swing. One of our courses down here Pawleys Plantation has a full set on display the case and all appropriately so because it is a Nicklaus designed course. One of my buds that knows me well is 1st assistant. One of the wet behind the ears kids was telling me and Bear about them one day. We listened with a smirk. My bud could not keep it back any longer he told the guy " I bet Stuey has a set " I told him no but I had their granddaddy out in the bag--- Had the 57 Diamond Backs in the bag that day.

+1 on those Brunswick Precision FCM 5.5's. My Eye 2 clones are shafted up with those and they are my favourite iron shafts. Like STU says: Hits like butter!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Are the '57 diamond backs the FC4000s? I'm not well up on all the diamond-back types, and Macgregor did a good job of keeping designs going under different names and keeping names going under different designs...(yeah, I'm looking at you, VIP....).

I was actually just starting to like the S400s right before my back injury last summer. Heavy, but with a bit of flex, unlike the X100s which are heavy but without any flex. Still, my back is getting stronger and I think I should be able to manage the S400s in the spring, though not for long practice nor consecutive rounds. I'm looking for light shafts now in clubs, but I don't like the Modus 120s, and the DG120s are pricey here.

The regular shafts in my Wilson J8s (which appear to be FG-17s for the Japanese market) are about perfect right now, and I think they are the old Dynamic Regular.

Now, I've a set of Mizuno MS-11 (which I think were called MP-11s in the USA) shafted with Brunswick Precision FCM 5.5's, and they are certainly smooth, but a little soft. I've a set of Mac MT R58s (Japanese market) with FCM 6.5s, and even before my back problems these were on the stiff side for me. I'd really like to hit the 6.0s, because I reckon they'd be right in my sweet spot.

Well, being one of those aging population and most likely at the higher end, shaft flex and shaft weights have become paramount for continued playing ability. A shaft that is too stiff and or two heavy will cause you to try and swing harder to get the face square at impact and in turn, will put a lot more stress on the back and hips. Stretching and some minor weight training (I use 10 pound dumb bells for arm curls and shoulder lifts), will be great for maintaining physical conditioning for playing golf well into the 70's. I'm currently on the back side 0f 75 and can still play fairly well and more importantly, pain free. Hope this helps........

I'm on the younger side of 50, but I've had two hernias, so back pain is a big problem for me. disco111 explained it pretty well. To add to that, I can swing heavier shafts...but not for long. So, if I want to hit balls for an hour or two, lighter shafts help. I can swing X100s and hit 200 balls, but I will feel it the next day, or even before. If screw up, I'm looking at not moving for a day or two and glugging painkillers. If I really screw up, I'm looking at hospital time.

Heading to the range in 15 minutes to give them their first swings. Like you said Stu, I believe Reactionizer is regarding the back weight. They play long at 44” driver length. I believe they are late 50’s as they have the same Stan Thompson labeled TT Pro Fit stiff shaft as my blonde Stan Thompson set.

Yes, I believe Reactionizer is in reference to the back weight.

As for the ferrules, you are right, they have been altered. They should have a piece on top yet, probably gold colored. The funny thing is that the seller also had the matching set of irons, which I didn’t buy as they were missing the 6-iron, and all the irons were missing the ferrules as well. Kind of strange that the entire set of woods and irons lost all of their ferrules unless someone removed the intentionally.

Here is the Reactionizer driver next to my late 50’s blonde Stan Thompson driver showing what the ferrule should look like.

PMOCNDIG88ZG.jpeg

• Like 2

No my 57s are not FCs mine have the copper face--- The FCs started in late 58 early 59--- Diamondback is not really an official Macgregor term it is more a slang term from us Mac collectors. Yours are sorta a cross between a FC and a Diamondback your blades are thicker like a 62 FC but have the recessed weight as they were called in the back.

Yep you pretty much nailed it--- And I have started working out with the 10 lb weights again

I don't believe there is anywhere else on the intertubes with the knowledge and experience of the members contributing to the conversation being shared here.

what a wonderful group you are.

thx.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

Pulled the sole plate and face inserts to reset them and while my blonde late 1950’s Thompson’s had lead weights the Reactionizer has a screw and lots of lead powder. I guess since these are the same era maybe they touted the Reactionizer as a feature for easier custom swing weighting.

I did take them to the range this morning and man the shafts felt stout. I put them on the deflection board and they look to be extra stiff flex. Too much for me.

I had pulled the sole plates and face inserts of the 1-3 yesterday but not the 4-wood. Took the 4-wood back out to the range today and had a much better go with it. I think the extra length was the biggest problem, not so much the flex. Actually was hitting it much higher today and around 200-210 yards which is right where I’d want to be with my 4-wood. I bought these because they are all-original so I don’t think I want to swap shafts. With no access to the shaft through the bottom of the head I wouldn’t be able to pull the shafts without destroying the grips to get a rod down the shaft.

I epoxied the inserts and sole plates today and I’ll play them as is. If they don’t work for me I’ll pass them on.