2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

5 hours ago, Swingingk said:

I'd say those are in very collectable condition.  Very nice.

Sometimes when irons are displayed in front of a window the sun will bleach the color out of the Fluid Feel rubber plug in the sole.  A red Sharpie fine-tip in permanent ink does a wonderful job of restoring a nice bright hue.  It lasts very well too as it seems to soak into the material.  It's a ridiculously obvious solution to the problem but I must admit it didn't come to me right away.  Gettin' soft upstairs I guess...  lol

That's a great tip!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Sorta a proud father moment.   The Staffs I told you all I picked up as a knock around set got reinstagrammed by the Official Wilson account.

Also my Turfriders got reposted by the official Canadian account!

755E3261-4BA2-4389-A241-F6CFB2C0059F.jpeg

51039ED5-5C48-411C-9822-7C74885520E6.jpeg

I didn't realise that was you on the Facebook group. 👍🏻

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

Dean, I don't have a Facebook account but I do read that site daily...so I know you have the re-issues. We are patiently waiting for pictures...

Still waiting...

Still waiting...

They only just arrived this evening. I'll take some pictures and post them tomorrow. 

The wait is almost over...

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, coldwareragolfer said:

Sorta a proud father moment.   The Staffs I told you all I picked up as a knock around set got reinstagrammed by the Official Wilson account.

Also my Turfriders got reposted by the official Canadian account!

755E3261-4BA2-4389-A241-F6CFB2C0059F.jpeg

51039ED5-5C48-411C-9822-7C74885520E6.jpeg

Say that's pretty neat!  It's cool to see that Wilson still honors it's history.  Nice.

• Like 1

Look god enough to me, @TheDeanAbides!

The thing I like about getting clubs with a bit of wear on them is that I don't feel bad about playing them and tweaking them to match my preferences. When I got a set of unhit Muirfields (1i-SW) a few years ago, it actually took me a while before I could bring myself to play them. 

Just now, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Look god enough to me, @TheDeanAbides!

The thing I like about getting clubs with a bit of wear on them is that I don't feel bad about playing them and tweaking them to match my preferences. When I got a set of unhit Muirfields (1i-SW) a few years ago, it actually took me a while before I could bring myself to play them. 

I get that, and I'm not surprised you struggled to hit those! 

Yes, these have the perfect amount of wear. I can paint fill and polish them to look sparkly, they're definitely for playing with. 

13 minutes ago, coldwareragolfer said:

@TheDeanAbidesThey are 100 percent reissues.  Beyond all our speculating earlier the faces should have "little stars" at the end of the groves from a 1960-61 Wilson Staff.  These clearly don't.

They look good.  Where did you find em?

Yes, happy to see that they're reissues. I bought them from eBay for £40. 

Just took them to the range and I love them. Even in the midst of a swing change I struck then beautifully (mostly). They're very solid indeed and have just enough bounce to make them a little more forgiving than the old Hogans. 

That's a steal! I am so jealous. Too bad you aren't in Colorado, it would be fun to take those and my originals out and hit them both together and see if they are different. I love finding playable survivors and like finding them at bargain prices even more. Good luck and good on you for getting them out to hit so soon. 

33 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

That's a steal! I am so jealous. Too bad you aren't in Colorado, it would be fun to take those and my originals out and hit them both together and see if they are different. I love finding playable survivors and like finding them at bargain prices even more. Good luck and good on you for getting them out to hit so soon. 

That would be fun! Yes, I think I'll keep hold of these. It's tough because ideally I want to whittle down to two sets and the 99 Apex are never leaving me. What else to choose?? 

And buy another set or two off eBay just to show your commitment!

Eh, I'm actually trying to pare down my collection of irons a little. I have more than I can rotate through. I'd rather play the irons I really like more often than play a set that I'm not particularly fond of just for the sake of it.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

And buy another set or two off eBay just to show your commitment!

Eh, I'm actually trying to pare down my collection of irons a little. I have more than I can rotate through. I'd rather play the irons I really like more often than play a set that I'm not particularly fond of just for the sake of it.

*Whispers* I have a couple of persimmon drivers on the way...

Yes, exactly. Better to have them find a home where they'll get played and loved.

8 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

I pulled a Stu!

I had a day so wild yesterday I'm going to have to make 4 or 5 different posts because I'll need to ask some questions on some of them. But I'll start here, saving some clubs from the scrap pile. 

I was about 45 minutes north to pick up a Craig's list buy and hit the thrifts up there before the stop. First three had nothing, and I hit the forth about 15 minutes after it opened. Good news, they had filled up the rack, bad news, there was a guy there already with an armful of clubs. I started talking to him while standing back, waiting my turn, and he was an avid hunter with a house full of clubs and nice guy. We talked about what we were looking for, I said old wood, he knew exactly what I meant. While he was grabbing all the stuff that would sell on ebay, I asked if I could have the two persimmons there, he said sure, and I grabbed them (I'll post those later).

The lady who manages the clubs came over, saw we both were holding clubs, and said she had more in the back room. About 10 minutes later, he was over at the door to the back room with her looking at more clubs she brought out in a shopping cart for him to see and I walked over. He picked 4 or 5 clubs out of that cart, I grabbed a PC iron for the Apex 4 shaft, and he said "can I see all those clubs in the gaylord?" She replied "that's all junk we are sending to scrap" and he responded "I bet my friend here will find something in that pile he likes, that's the stuff he's after." Cool dude, happy to hook up a stranger. Well, we negotiated for five minutes, she disappeared, then came out with a cart full clubs that were on their way to the scrappers. He knew I was after Macgregor Persimmon and Wilson Staff irons, and right off the bat we both saw some Wilson leather grips with lots of patina. I said "there are the Staffs" and he said "go for it, they're all yours." Bad news, one set was some second tier Patty Bergs...good news, the other set was 2-P Turfriders...in playable shape and all original. Score!

All of my club hunting seems to be random and screwy, and things come in odd groups. After waiting a long time to find some Turfriders at the right price, I bought a set online last week that are in the mail right now. So I went from 0 sets to 2 sets in a week and now have double sets of '56 and '62 and need to think about moving the duplicates on eventually, but it is so hard for me to consider selling Staffs that still have life in them. Oh well, I could have worse problems. But for these, a little paint fill and some leather conditioning and these will see the grass again in 2021. Not bad for $16.

Question for the Staff experts...what is the wedge? Did they offer a Staff wedge without a plug in 1963? I don't see any wedge pictures in the 63 catalog so I can't confirm either way. I now have two Staff wedges without plugs, but the other one has a number stamped on it and looks custom. No custom number on this, but no drill through shaft either. I have 10 or so Dynapower wedges and three of them I can't find in a catalog...which either means that Wilson did lots of variation in the 60s or I'm a unicorn hunter. 

numbers small.JPEG

Backs small.JPEG

Wedge small.JPEG

They were going to scrap them! 

1 hour ago, Stephen8802 said:

I pulled a Stu!

I had a day so wild yesterday I'm going to have to make 4 or 5 different posts because I'll need to ask some questions on some of them. But I'll start here, saving some clubs from the scrap pile. 

I was about 45 minutes north to pick up a Craig's list buy and hit the thrifts up there before the stop. First three had nothing, and I hit the forth about 15 minutes after it opened. Good news, they had filled up the rack, bad news, there was a guy there already with an armful of clubs. I started talking to him while standing back, waiting my turn, and he was an avid hunter with a house full of clubs and nice guy. We talked about what we were looking for, I said old wood, he knew exactly what I meant. While he was grabbing all the stuff that would sell on ebay, I asked if I could have the two persimmons there, he said sure, and I grabbed them (I'll post those later).

The lady who manages the clubs came over, saw we both were holding clubs, and said she had more in the back room. About 10 minutes later, he was over at the door to the back room with her looking at more clubs she brought out in a shopping cart for him to see and I walked over. He picked 4 or 5 clubs out of that cart, I grabbed a PC iron for the Apex 4 shaft, and he said "can I see all those clubs in the gaylord?" She replied "that's all junk we are sending to scrap" and he responded "I bet my friend here will find something in that pile he likes, that's the stuff he's after." Cool dude, happy to hook up a stranger. Well, we negotiated for five minutes, she disappeared, then came out with a cart full clubs that were on their way to the scrappers. He knew I was after Macgregor Persimmon and Wilson Staff irons, and right off the bat we both saw some Wilson leather grips with lots of patina. I said "there are the Staffs" and he said "go for it, they're all yours." Bad news, one set was some second tier Patty Bergs...good news, the other set was 2-P Turfriders...in playable shape and all original. Score!

All of my club hunting seems to be random and screwy, and things come in odd groups. After waiting a long time to find some Turfriders at the right price, I bought a set online last week that are in the mail right now. So I went from 0 sets to 2 sets in a week and now have double sets of '56 and '62 and need to think about moving the duplicates on eventually, but it is so hard for me to consider selling Staffs that still have life in them. Oh well, I could have worse problems. But for these, a little paint fill and some leather conditioning and these will see the grass again in 2021. Not bad for $16.

Question for the Staff experts...what is the wedge? Did they offer a Staff wedge without a plug in 1963? I don't see any wedge pictures in the 63 catalog so I can't confirm either way. I now have two Staff wedges without plugs, but the other one has a number stamped on it and looks custom. No custom number on this, but no drill through shaft either. I have 10 or so Dynapower wedges and three of them I can't find in a catalog...which either means that Wilson did lots of variation in the 60s or I'm a unicorn hunter. 

numbers small.JPEG

Backs small.JPEG

Wedge small.JPEG

They were going to scrap them!??

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

They were going to scrap them! 

20 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

They were going to scrap them!??

I'm sure it happens a lot, unfortunately, if buyers aren't forthcoming they'll be dismissed as old junk.

More times than I'd care to admit I buy stuff on ebay as I'm sure it'll be dumped if I don't.

Then when I get them I wonder why I bothered!

Having said that, sometimes they turn out to be pearls. One of my favourites was a set of JB Halley Tournament clubs, 2, 3 & 4 laminate woods and 3 to PW irons for £10, collection only.

image.png.001b4859108533d8a55d5cc0c0ac30f0.png

• Like 4

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

2 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

So I went from 0 sets to 2 sets in a week and now have double sets of '56 and '62 and need to think about moving the duplicates on eventually, but it is so hard for me to consider selling Staffs that still have life in them. Oh well, I could have worse problems.

I’ve just begun listing some stuff on eBay that I didn’t think I’d sell but decided to now.   I realized I had stuff coming in and no more rack space to store/display it so it was staying in the box and going into a closet.  WTH is the point of buying something to store in a closet?  I must be crazy!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Jiggered said:

I'm sure it happens a lot, unfortunately, if buyers aren't forthcoming they'll be dismissed as old junk...

The crazy part is that I was at that Goodwill two weeks ago and none of those clubs were out. My guess is that the women in charge of clubs, who evidently is the one we were talking to, and who clearly knows nothing about golf, looks at old clubs and decides that they are junk. To her credit, most of them were junk, and they don't have much more room in the club area, but still, I wish they knew just enough to save stuff like this. It makes me really upset to think of these being lost.

I save what I can, play what I save or move them on to someone who will. I'm not making money off of this, but if I save a few and sell them, then the annual cost of clubs I keep might be a little lower and the clubs don't get melted down. These Turfriders are really nice though, and I have a soft spot in my heart because of how I found them, so they are likely sticking around. I just finished expanding the irons storage in the garage today and put these between the '60s and the '67s. DeeJaid, I know I have too much and need to sell some stuff, but just walking out in the garage and fiddling with the boys does make me so happy. 

storage small.jpeg

• Like 4