2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

2 hours ago, Stephen8802 said:

My wife loves it when I bring the cars to get gas...I'm not sure she remembers that the Goodwill is right next door. Big score yesterday, finding a club I've never seen in the wild before; a black 8802, guessing '71 because of the hideous composite grip, in really nice shape. Feels great putting, looks clean for its age, and passes the nickle test. It will fit in just fine with the family, pictured from left to right is my '64 8802, Black 8802, reverse stamp 8813, Canadian 8813, and 8823. Now all I need is their long-lost brother Arnold and I'll have the bunch together in one place. Back to the thrifts to find him.

Black 8802 small.JPEG

black 8802 top small.JPEG

IMG_6507.JPEG

l to R family small.jpeg

That's a beautiful collection of some of the cleanest putters ever made. Lovely. 

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Just took delivery of these, I'd normally post in the UK clubs thread but I've just had it confirmed that these are an Australian model that somehow made their way to the UK.

Anyway, the clubs.

Slazenger Jack Nicklaus Champion of the World, 1 to 4 laminated woods, 3 to SW in the irons and a matching putter.

First the thrill of the unpacking, the bag is period complete with a day ticket for Pyle & Kenfig Golf Club, a links/clifftop course in South Wales, always like to find an old ticket in a bag!

The contents of the ball pocket were a little disappointing, some poor balls, a handful of tees and the remains of an exploded wound ball.

The clubs have seen some action over the years but are basically sound apart from the 3 iron shaft which is looking a bit tired and showing signs of chrome loss.  

They all need a clean up, most are wearing ancient mud  and grass from their last round, and the woods will need a refinish before they can be played.

Overall the set is worth the £35 including delivery and hopefully the 3 iron shaft won't collapse on the first shot!

image.png.7e1dc07317ee75679f5b3abbfb867832.png

image.png.d775e183286f00a7667f8936d0cc972e.png

image.png.bee2fff62157b8cf35375bf45e385d81.png

image.png.b09cab880b4276bc628e991de0a058d3.png

image.png.3f165aa882040dc682f4cd3d37731015.png

image.png.e1e4b1e32c1eac6ffe707f25ffe05d34.png

image.png.21d67f99cab4a971d2f7c6fe0ceb7415.png

image.png.36cb6193e3957ca72a30179f6b4c1268.png

image.png.1fd68336ad1b81cde201ae8332daecac.png

That's some find. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Just took delivery of these, I'd normally post in the UK clubs thread but I've just had it confirmed that these are an Australian model that somehow made their way to the UK.

Anyway, the clubs.

Slazenger Jack Nicklaus Champion of the World, 1 to 4 laminated woods, 3 to SW in the irons and a matching putter.

First the thrill of the unpacking, the bag is period complete with a day ticket for Pyle & Kenfig Golf Club, a links/clifftop course in South Wales, always like to find an old ticket in a bag!

The contents of the ball pocket were a little disappointing, some poor balls, a handful of tees and the remains of an exploded wound ball.

The clubs have seen some action over the years but are basically sound apart from the 3 iron shaft which is looking a bit tired and showing signs of chrome loss.  

They all need a clean up, most are wearing ancient mud  and grass from their last round, and the woods will need a refinish before they can be played.

Overall the set is worth the £35 including delivery and hopefully the 3 iron shaft won't collapse on the first shot!

image.png.7e1dc07317ee75679f5b3abbfb867832.png

image.png.d775e183286f00a7667f8936d0cc972e.png

image.png.bee2fff62157b8cf35375bf45e385d81.png

image.png.b09cab880b4276bc628e991de0a058d3.png

image.png.3f165aa882040dc682f4cd3d37731015.png

image.png.e1e4b1e32c1eac6ffe707f25ffe05d34.png

image.png.21d67f99cab4a971d2f7c6fe0ceb7415.png

image.png.36cb6193e3957ca72a30179f6b4c1268.png

image.png.1fd68336ad1b81cde201ae8332daecac.png

Nice find, grips look great!

Any tips on refreshing old leather grips? I use Neatsfoot oil which helps but is not as effective as I was led to expect.

2 minutes ago, dcopp7 said:

I nabbed another set of Hogan Radials yesterday for $10 off FB Marketplace.  Grips are nice too.  I'll clean up and re-do the paintfill and post pics before listing on eBay.  Last set I bought for $35 and sold for $163.  Hopefully this does the same.  This is 2-E with newer Tour Wrap grips.

I bought a set of cast Radials for the price of a glove from FB Marketplace. I've never seen a forged set for sale in the UK. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Foozle said:

Any tips on refreshing old leather grips? I use Neatsfoot oil which helps but is not as effective as I was led to expect.

Thanks.

The grips are nice but are smooth and a bit slippery. I've tried a few things for old grips and am currently using Neatsfoot but like your experience it's not been the miracle cure I was expecting.

I think making sure that the leather is as clean as possible before application would help, Lexol is mentioned a lot on WRX but I'm not sure what the UK equivalent would be?

• Thanks 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

12 minutes ago, Jiggered said:

Thanks.

The grips are nice but are smooth and a bit slippery. I've tried a few things for old grips and am currently using Neatsfoot but like your experience it's not been the miracle cure I was expecting.

I think making sure that the leather is as clean as possible before application would help, Lexol is mentioned a lot on WRX but I'm not sure what the UK equivalent would be?

I have seen it suggested that you use something like Swarfega Orange to clean off the surface build up of oil and grease before using Neatsfoot thus allowing it to penetrate and soak in. Sounds a little harsh and I haven't tried it personally. Might give it a go on a "lost cause" single leather grip before risking on grips I am desperate to save.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Foozle said:

I have seen it suggested that you use something like Swarfega Orange to clean off the surface build up of oil and grease before using Neatsfoot thus allowing it to penetrate and soak in. Sounds a little harsh and I haven't tried it personally. Might give it a go on a "lost cause" single leather grip before risking on grips I am desperate to save.

I would be interested in this too. I have an old JL 2 iron with the original grip. It's just playable but could use a refresh. I say playable, but I can barely hit the thing. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Nice find on those Slazenger irons, @Jiggered. Any idea on the date? Was there a date on the green fee label? Those balls are quite something. Even my local range would be ashamed to use them. I mean, they'd use them alright, but they'd look sheepish about it.

Thanks.

I don't have any definite date but did wonder if they celebrated Jack's winning of the World Matchplay Championship in 1970?

The similarly styled "Champion" model dates from 1969.

(The green fee ticket was unfortunately undated.)

image.png.f0fc567c4d7e8d29cf011225ebc5cc78.png

• Like 1

It's not all about the score.

https://www.youtube.com/c/ClassicGolfClubs

6 hours ago, Jiggered said:

Thanks.

I don't have any definite date but did wonder if they celebrated Jack's winning of the World Matchplay Championship in 1970?

The similarly styled "Champion" model dates from 1969.

(The green fee ticket was unfortunately undated.)

image.png.f0fc567c4d7e8d29cf011225ebc5cc78.png

That sounds like a good deduction to me. I was thinking probably 70s, but the balls probably come from a different space-time continuum altogether.

The castle tees mixed in with the wooden ones got me thinking. Does anyone know when castle tees were first introduced? I remember people using them in the Eighties, but were they used before that? I only started playing in the Eighties, so my own golfing history does not stretch back before that, except for watching Peter Alliss's pro celebrity golf while my Dad would grumble about "that bloody bore, Alliss."

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2020 at 4:23 AM, Foozle said:

I’ve tried so many different products;  Neatsfoot oil, Leather Honey, Lexol, etc, and I find Neatsfoot oil to be the most effective.    The key though is cleaning the leather before conditioning.   I first clean the grips with Saddle Soap.   Really work the saddle soap with a rag and let them dry overnight.   Then use the Neatsfoot to condition the leather.   This combo has worked well for me and is probably the most cost effective too.

Good luck!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I’ve tried so many different products;  Neatsfoot oil, Leather Honey, Lexol, etc, and I find Neatsfoot oil to be the most effective.    The key though is cleaning the leather before conditioning.   I first clean the grips with Saddle Soap.   Really work the saddle soap with a rag and let them dry overnight.   Then use the Neatsfoot to condition the leather.   This combo has worked well for me and is probably the most cost effective too.

Good luck!

Deejaid, I appreciate the advice. I suspected initial cleaning was my problem - unlocking the pores to let the Neatsfoot oil in.

Saddle soap sounds better than the alternative abrasive hand cleaner that I had suggested to me.

I will give saddle soap a try and see how that helps.

On 11/27/2020 at 10:13 AM, deejaid said:

Good luck!

All excellent advice.  I've always used Neatsfoot too and it works great but my son is a leatherworker and he turned me on to Mink Oil.  I haven't played with any I've treated yet but it works in beautifully and leaves that nice leather smell behind.  I'll have to wait till spring to the see how it really performs on the course but I sure like it so far.

3 hours ago, deejaid said:

Nice find and nice photos too.  Looks like you gave the photos a nice color grade to emulate old film stock.   I take it you live in a Mid Century Rancher with the vintage copies of Golf Digest laying on what looks like a Haywood Wakefield end table.    Very Rat Pack feel going on.  Maybe a lit Lucky Strike in the ashtray there? 😁

I’m digging the whole presentation.  Very cool.

LOL Lucky Strikes we used to call them "Lucky Strokes". Those and Chesterfields are what my old man smoked

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

13 hours ago, deejaid said:

Nice find and nice photos too.  Looks like you gave the photos a nice color grade to emulate old film stock.   I take it you live in a Mid Century Rancher with the vintage copies of Golf Digest laying on what looks like a Haywood Wakefield end table.    Very Rat Pack feel going on.  Maybe a lit Lucky Strike in the ashtray there? 😁

I’m digging the whole presentation.  Very cool.

Good eye!

It's a '49 house decorated with early 50s Heywood Wakefield  furniture.  My wife has the house fully decorated for the time period though so the older clubs sorta fit in!

• Like 2

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

I picked this up this MacGregor M43T driver last month, along with a 3 wood.  There is quite a bit of potential in this one and it could come out stellar.  First of all this is a solid block driver with lead being present on the skirt.  I have been told by Dave Wood that generally the lead here was because of a holding fixture that was once used to work the shape of the driver and was more for purpose of tooling.  That said the lead port remained.  This one is rather small so there isn't much weight here.  There is a bit of an issue on the face and it is dried out a fair bit.  I don't think the flaking is too deep and a minor filing/sanding will make the face as good as it was when it left the Cincinnati facility.  Sole plate is a wee bit thin so this driver was apparently used quite a bit.  There seems to be no neck cracks but I have not removed the whipping to see for sure.  I have sold off the 3 wood and will be sending the driver off for restoration once logistics and price is settled.  I will be sending this to a person I have yet to use but have seen the results of his work.  Once the restoration is completed I will repost pictures in a new thread.

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

M43T_sole no lead.jpg

M43T_no insert.jpg

M43T_face.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

• Like 2

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

10 hours ago, RobotDoctor said:

I picked this up this MacGregor M43T driver last month, along with a 3 wood.  There is quite a bit of potential in this one and it could come out stellar.  First of all this is a solid block driver with lead being present on the skirt.  I have been told by Dave Wood that generally the lead here was because of a holding fixture that was once used to work the shape of the driver and was more for purpose of tooling.  That said the lead port remained.  This one is rather small so there isn't much weight here.  There is a bit of an issue on the face and it is dried out a fair bit.  I don't think the flaking is too deep and a minor filing/sanding will make the face as good as it was when it left the Cincinnati facility.  Sole plate is a wee bit thin so this driver was apparently used quite a bit.  There seems to be no neck cracks but I have not removed the whipping to see for sure.  I have sold off the 3 wood and will be sending the driver off for restoration once logistics and price is settled.  I will be sending this to a person I have yet to use but have seen the results of his work.  Once the restoration is completed I will repost pictures in a new thread.

IMG_6615.jpg

IMG_6619.jpg

IMG_6617.jpg

IMG_6618.jpg

IMG_6651.jpg

M43T_sole no lead.jpg

M43T_no insert.jpg

M43T_face.jpg

IMG_6661.jpg

Nice find. Looking forward to the restored pictures.

Not that new an acquisition but clubs I have been meaning post here for a while. These are my M43's. 

My question really is, are these over restored original's or a later remake? I am not aware of M43 remakes but the whole remake thing is a bit of a minefield?

The shafts on these are new, as is the whipping and someone has been quite heavy with the finish. Crown stampings are quite clear but sole stampings all but lost.

Keen for any dating thoughts?

20201202_122117.jpg

20201202_121932.jpg

20201202_122202.jpg

20201202_122236.jpg

20201202_122317.jpg

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terreb said:

Great buy - BB did make a great looking product.

Thanks for posting this pic.

Captures the era so well.

Bright bag colors and take note that they have the bags sitting sideways for

access to all pockets.

rsz_img_3116.jpg

rsz_img_3115.jpg

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

19 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Just bought these bad boys from eBay. I've never owned a set of Dynapowers, but everyone talks about them in revered tones, so I thought it was time to buy a set. 

Tell me about them, wise and venerable classic club experts! 

wilson.jpg

When I see Dynapowered I think they are pre 1962 when the term changed to Dynapower.

They look like 1960-1961 Staffs.  But a few things throw me.  1.  The plugs should be black not red from that time period and the ferrule is not what would be found on a 1960-1961.  More so later 1962 style.    

Either these were transition models or refurbished?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer