2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

Bought a Wilson JP Custom Grind SW, mainly to go with my Wilson Custom Grind irons I got recently (pictured below). Not sure of the vintage of this one, but I think it's mid to late Seventies? it has a Dynamic shaft, not Dynamic Gold. At 35.5", it's the perfect length for me, and blends well with the irons. I haven't swung it yet, but I'm interested to see how I get on with the E0 swing weight. It also weighs in at just over pound (491g), making it the heaviest wedge I have.

wilson-jp-custom-grind-wedge-back.jpg

wilson-jp-custom-grind-wedge-address.jpg

wilson-jp-custom-grind-wedge-sole.jpgThe Custom Grind irons (4-PW):

wilson-staff-tour-blades-set.jpg

• Like 2

In what could be my last purchase for a while as my wife institutes austerity rules, I picked up some 5 screws. I love 5 screws, more than is logical or healthy. My primary 4 wood in my high school and college golf days was a 5 screw M75 and I've wanted to fill out that set since 1983. So I picked up a driver, and since it was there and I didn't want to leave it behind, I grabbed the 4 wood of that set also. Now I just need to find an M75 5 screw 3 wood in original condition. But, since the wife has shut down spending, probably in 2021.

The driver is large for an M75. The face is almost 1 3/4 inches and it weighs in at D6.5. It does have weight under the sole plate, but no back weight. It is definitely more substantial than my other M 75 and M75 variant drivers. It needs some work, and the chip on the face probably would have led me to pass on it if it had the other screw, but I like me some 5 screws and I just can't let them slip by.

driver-face-jpeg.jpeg

driver-head-jpeg.jpeg

driver-sole-jpeg.jpeg

driver-back-jpeg.jpegThe women I bought them from tried to get me to buy her random irons, but I passed on that. She sent them anyway, so now I have her butter knife collection, a 2 and a 3 iron.

butter-knives-jpeg.jpegI've never had M85 irons before. I always thought they looked really small, but it had to be an optical illusion. No, it isn't, they are really small. I can't imagine there are many mishits on these things because if you miss the sweet spot, you miss the whole club. I'll take the 3 iron out this week and give it a few hacks to see if I can hit it straight.

And two five irons also, a ladies club with faux hickory sheathing and mid-60s Hogan.

5-irons-jpeg.jpegNone of the irons are in great shape, but free is free. I'll probably keep the Demaret just because the shaft is cool but find a new home for the others if I can.

Thanks for the information on the shaft flex, good to know. I didn't know they went to 11. The highest I have seen is a 9. I've a Craft driver that has a 7 flex, and it's a bit too soft for me, and two other Mizuno persimmons with flex 8, which seems to work OK for me. 9 would probably be a nice fit, whereas 10 and 11 would best put to use with my tomato plants.

I picked this MacGregor up a couple/three months ago. It is being worked on by a friend who restores woods. The insert screws are wrong, wrong, wrong. The sole stamps were done horribly. Wrong shaft installed. But the price was next to nothing and this is a MacGregor custom department order so a rare bird. Worth an attempt to restore.

m43t-custom-face.jpg

m43t-custom-sole.jpg

m43t-crown-jpg.jpg

Here's a few pictures of the restoration process from John. The insert material is NOS MacGregor brick paper fiber material. So the insert will be period accurate.

img-5679-jpg.jpg

img-5677-jpg.jpg

img-5682-jpg.jpg

img-5683-jpg.jpg

img-5685-jpg.jpg

John is going to install a pristine sole plate from an old M23 he had lying around.

m43t-new-sole-plate.jpeg

He said the sole stamps will be much better when done. Also, he has a M85W shaft with two tone leather wrap he is going to install to be period appropriate, even though this driver originally had a chord grip. Being that this was a custom order it really doesn't matter.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Beautiful job on that Mac. I am curious as to how he is going to find the original insert screw holes or whether he has filled them and will simply drill new ones. The work on the insert from from the original brick is just magnificent. I found some red paper resin online, waiting for it to arrive to see how close it is to the original stuff.

The screws in the original insert were too large in size. Those were the size used for the sole plate. You have to counter sink the holes on the insert it fit the screw flush. If correct size screws were used then there would be a lack of coverage from the head of the correct screws.

I'm a collector as well as someone who occasionally take pieces of my collection out to hit (with balata balls). I want my pieces in my collection to be right and look like they were just made. That's my preference, my expectation. I'm fortunate to know a couple of people who are gifted in the craft.

Here is an example of my 693 driver. This is the look what I'm seeking for all the woods in my collection.

bf71e27b-08c2-4fa0-9ad2-624842db61e1.jpeg

69160203-68fb-4a0a-a566-25dcbb4df19e.jpeg

33ebb0a0-0087-42df-b7d3-b422f97aef89.jpeg

8e3aed99-78cd-474a-ba87-dcc71151f62d.jpeg

3c0e84e2-a929-4960-b8f8-7cd187f8d995.jpeg

• Like 1

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

Stephen,

I have black at the moment, but won't know how well it works until I cut and sand the surface of it a little. At the moment the surface is a little shiny. I just went looking for paper resin phenolic and bought a small 6mm by 100mm by 200mm slab to see how it went. I am waiting for the red to arrive. No luck with finding white to date. Might be that it isn't suitable so I'll try it in a couple of old woods I'm not fussed about and see how it goes.

My wife asked me to fill up the minivan with gas. There is a Goodwill next to the gas station. My wallet is $30 lighter. Please, someone stop me before I hurt myself.

apex-ii-small.jpeg

I also picked up an Orlimar driver for $4. I don't really need an Orlimar driver, but I'm desperate for shafts and I'll take a Dynamic Stiff driver shaft any day.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Guess I didn't look far enough in my search, here it is.

Thanks to @Gxgolfer for digging this up    ?

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Hey folks picked up this set today. Macgregor AT2, Tommy Armour VFQ’s I looked them up but haven’t found much info on them yet. 2-9 iron and an 11 iron. Grips are surprisingly decent and shaft bands are all intact. And a forged Denny Shute putter. They were in such good condition for their age and almost free so I had to get them. Any information? Thanks!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

They look like 1961 Very Fine Quality Armour irons...for the discriminating golfers. Those are pretty irons, it's a good thing you took them home. I've always liked the pyramid scoring, it certainly is unique. The AT2 came with a propel 2 shaft and burgundy leather grips. Tell us how they play when you get them out on the course.

I don't recognize the putter, but it looks a lot more like the '30s than the '60s to me. What is the shaft in that?

On 8/11/2014 at 6:50 PM, ScooterMcTavish said:

All I can find is crap Spalding, Northwestern, and Campbell "department store junk". Not even close to full sets either.

Damn thrifty Canadian golfers.....

Please smile when youmalign Spalding! The real Spalding was far from junk. Scroll back see my 53 TopFlites!

Edited by Richard 77
Added message

Hey Stephen. The putter shaft has a speck of a band left. I’ll post a pic. I love the look of the diamond groves! Yeah these were in a big bin at a Good Will store , pay buy the pound, thing . They caught my eye for sure. Yes I will comment on how they play. Also the grips on the irons aren’t burgundy but black wraps with gold thread. The bottom 3 pics are of the putter. Any info is much appreciated! image.jpg.6948afebd619ebb3ebab72733c0aa774.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I can't find that putter, so I only have guesses. He played is best golf in the 30s, won back to back PGAs as well as other majors, so he was a good player. I can find some Wilson Danny Shute clubs, but not in the catalog. I found a picture of a 1940 Danny Shute wood online that has a Wilson sole plate but no Wilson branding. Wilson also didn't make clubs in '43, '44, 'and '45 according to Kaplan, so I'd guess '42 or earlier. So, without direct evidence, I'm going to guess made by Wilson, perhaps a store line club, perhaps just not in the catalog, sometime just before the war or at the very beginning. 

Tracking down stuff like this is fun; let us know if you find something.