No new acquistions...?

Found these by the dumpster, and decided to save them. If anyone wants to pay shipping, they're yours. I'll drop them at Goodwill if no one is interested. Irons are 5,6,8,9,PW (missing 7 iron).

Bag's in good shape. Not sure if I'll keep that, but if someone else wants it just let me know.

IMG_20210227_174704346.jpg

IMG_20210227_174721705.jpg

• Like 1

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

16 hours ago, baloo said:

Bought a set of 56-57 dynas refinished in black w/S300s. Interesting eBay find.

I'm not sure who did the black, hopefully it holds up okay. 

3-PW plus a Triple Duty wedge!

IMG_20210227_113148373.jpg

IMG_20210227_113159845.jpg

IMG_20210227_113205054.jpg

Oh man those are absolutely sick!  Fantastic!  I love it.  So cool.  Are you going to do any paint filling?  They look amazing as-is.

I wonder where the builder found new ferrules? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Oh man those are absolutely sick!  Fantastic!  I love it.  So cool.  Are you going to do any paint filling?  They look amazing as-is.

I wonder where the builder found new ferrules? 

I plan to leave them as-is. I like them completely black. I have a modern driver that is all Matte Black, so these will look good in the "modern" bag. It only has 3 modern clubs, lol...

It was a fun find. The seller didn't do the rebuild himself though, so he didn't have all the information on what was done. They're in great shape.

• Like 1

Driver, 3W, 4W - Macgregor Custom Tourney
2-10 - 1954 Spalding Synchro Dyned
SW - Wilson Staff
Putter - Bullseye
Ball - Pro Plus

YT Channel - [url="https://www.youtube.com/PlayVintageGolf"]https://www.youtube....PlayVintageGolf[/url]

1 hour ago, baloo said:

I plan to leave them as-is. I like them completely black. I have a modern driver that is all Matte Black, so these will look good in the "modern" bag. It only has 3 modern clubs, lol...

It was a fun find. The seller didn't do the rebuild himself though, so he didn't have all the information on what was done. They're in great shape.

I saw those on the eBay!  I think the ferrules are original.

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

14 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I swore I was going to stop buying 1950’s era irons as they are generally too short for me, but I saw this set with a low opening bid and very cheap shipping so I placed a bid and won at the opening bid price.

1954 Powerbilt 5590c irons, 2-9 in all-original condition including leather grips.  And the kicker is they are an inch longer than my Dyna-Powered’s and half inch longer than my vintage Spalding’s.

These were a professional line but a lower priced option in the Powerbilt lineup.

E61C3E8C-C041-4F66-A74F-598F7280CC5D.jpeg

894BC636-93A3-406C-93E0-9EB50ACCE7CE.jpeg

9B0463E5-4896-47B7-B489-EC050D25767E.jpeg

D2AFAB44-0F68-4981-AFB4-65D0C6E9661D.jpeg

Nice find and pick up Deejaid. I only got in to Power Bilt at the end of last year. Quite rare here in the UK and a gap in my collection.

I was looking for a while and then crash, bang, wallop three sets landed on my lap in as many months!

Strange thing is, like you, no body else bid against me and I picked them all up and a set of Power Bilt persimmons for open bid prices. Probably less than a quarter of what I would expect to pay for comparable Hogan's etc. I questioned this on the Power Bilt history thread here and wondered if it was just lack of brand awareness in the UK, expecting them to get better prices " back home". Is that not the case?

Great clubs, I am a fan.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Nice find and pick up Deejaid. I only got in to Power Bilt at the end of last year. Quite rare here in the UK and a gap in my collection.

I was looking for a while and then crash, bang, wallop three sets landed on my lap in as many months!

Strange thing is, like you, no body else bid against me and I picked them all up and a set of Power Bilt persimmons for open bid prices. Probably less than a quarter of what I would expect to pay for comparable Hogan's etc. I questioned this on the Power Bilt history thread here and wondered if it was just lack of brand awareness in the UK, expecting them to get better prices " back home". Is that not the case?

Great clubs, I am a fan.

Thanks Foozle.  If you recall, I mentioned how jealous I was of that set of Powerbilt’s you picked up when you shared them with us.   Great clubs.

Yes, I’ve always had a thing for Powerbilt’s.   Not as well known or sought after as Macgregor, Hogan, or Wilson but that’s what I like about them.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stephen8802 said:

I'm starting a difficult project on Monday and I won't be able to hit the thrifts for a while like I have in my recent slow period, so I decided to go all out on Friday and Saturday and hit as many as I could. You could say I found some stuff. I'm at the something in/something out stage of my ability to store clubs, so some of these will be flipped to build the budget back up. I just couldn't leave them behind. Here is the list.

Keepers:

• IMG all original
  • Late Hogan Apex driver (this is a very nice head)
  • PT35W driver /BT2W 3 &4...all original with grip caps. The driver and 3 will be refinished and see the grass again, the 4 wood has a head crack and I'll use it for parts. The PT35W is a surprisingly nice head for the smaller version of the club
  • Golden Goose Putter (posted on the Goose thread)
  • CeraSports putter and head cover, this is the heavier model and since it still has the size sticker on the grip, it looks like it has never been used; this makes two Coors putters this month
  • Perfect Ping head covers...I've had a set of these since the 80s and I still think they are the best head covers ever made
  • 3-4-5-6- -8-9-W Bullet Backs...whohoo! Aluminum shafts (boo). These are likely to get some S300 shafts.

Most likely to be flipped

• Ping Eye 2 Irons 3-W, White Dot, (39 1/2 inch 3 iron...long)
  • Ping Eye 2 driver and Karsten I 3/5 woods. Driver looks black dot, no dots on the fairway woods
  • Titleist DCI 962 2-W, S300 shafts. Don't need these since I have my original set of DCIs, so either sell them or pull the heads and use the shafts for the Bullet Backs.

Don't know yet, I don't need either, but they were $1.50 each so I'll probably keep them for fun

• Sandy Andy
  • R 20 with Brown shaft

Not bad for a last swing around the thrifts for the near future. I love the Hogan driver and the Goose/IMG/Coors putters are all nice. I'm over the moon getting the Bullet Backs, that's the set I've been looking for. Now I just need to score a 7 iron. The DCIs were worth it for the shafts or a flip; I'll probably keep the shafts and see if I can sell the heads. The head covers are wicked awesome and there is no way I'm letting go of those. The Pings, however, they have to go. I'm not a Ping guy, never have been, and I don't have room for another set just for kicks. I really have no idea what the value of the Pings is, especially since white dot/extra length seems to be an outlier.

IMG_7137.JPEG

IMG_7136.JPEG

IMG_7135.JPEG

IMG_7139.JPEG

IMG_7138.JPEG

IMG_7132.JPEG

IMG_7130.JPEG

IMG_7131.JPEG

I sold a set of black dot eye 2s last summer at auction and they went for over $200.   Now they did have the original grips and were pretty minty.

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

I swore I was going to stop buying 1950’s era irons as they are generally too short for me, but I saw this set with a low opening bid and very cheap shipping so I placed a bid and won at the opening bid price.

1954 Powerbilt 5590c irons, 2-9 in all-original condition including leather grips.  And the kicker is they are an inch longer than my Dyna-Powered’s and half inch longer than my vintage Spalding’s.

These were a professional line but a lower priced option in the Powerbilt lineup.

E61C3E8C-C041-4F66-A74F-598F7280CC5D.jpeg

894BC636-93A3-406C-93E0-9EB50ACCE7CE.jpeg

9B0463E5-4896-47B7-B489-EC050D25767E.jpeg

D2AFAB44-0F68-4981-AFB4-65D0C6E9661D.jpeg

Nice!  Glad to hear this too. It was a

bit saddening to hear you were going to stop buying the older stuff.  You have a great eye for vintage gear. 

12 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well, I’ll keep buying it and if it doesn’t work I’ll move on from it.

I now have this beauty in my shop so I can adjust my irons myself.  Vintage club bender for vintage clubs. 😁

E9A6E502-D802-41A3-8D66-051C145A24F2.jpeg

That is very cool.  I bought a Golfworks Economy Loft and Lie machine a few years. ago.  It was affordable, but it's just not made for older irons with long hosel's and ferule's.  This is what I need.  

13 hours ago, deejaid said:

Well, I’ll keep buying it and if it doesn’t work I’ll move on from it.

I now have this beauty in my shop so I can adjust my irons myself.  Vintage club bender for vintage clubs. 😁

E9A6E502-D802-41A3-8D66-051C145A24F2.jpeg

If it doesn't work as club bending tool, relabel as vintage objet d'arte and place it on the mantle.  

Edited by Fellaheen51
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

1 hour ago, Fellaheen51 said:

If it doesn't work as club bending tool, relabel as vintage objet d'arte and place it on the mantle.  

It works fantastic bending clubs.   The design is really simple to measure loft and lie.   Much easier than my friends Mitchell.  I’ve already done 4 sets with it.

And you are right, it does have “the look” and looks great just sitting there.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Joe S said:

That is very cool.  I bought a Golfworks Economy Loft and Lie machine a few years. ago.  It was affordable, but it's just not made for older irons with long hosel's and ferule's.  This is what I need.  

I almost bought the Economy machine from Golfworks but took a chance on this one for about the same price.   I had a Golfworks Value bender for a bit, which is their cheapest bender, but it was a bit of a hassle to work with. 

This Van L works fantastic and weighs a ton.   It’s bolted to the countertop which is lagged into the wall studs and floor joists.  It’s not moving when I bend.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deejaid said:

I almost bought the Economy machine from Golfworks but took a chance on this one for about the same price.   I had a Golfworks Value bender for a bit, which is their cheapest bender, but it was a bit of a hassle to work with. 

This Van L works fantastic and weighs a ton.   It’s bolted to the countertop which is lagged into the wall studs and floor joists.  It’s not moving when I bend.

The Economy machine is a bit of a hassle, both for measuring long hosel's and bending.  But it does get the job done and it's better than nothing.  

How did you find that one?

12 minutes ago, Joe S said:

The Economy machine is a bit of a hassle, both for measuring long hosel's and bending.  But it does get the job done and it's better than nothing.  

How did you find that one?

It was on eBay for awhile with a really high shipping price.  After a few months I figured the seller might be willing to negotiate and I was able to get it for $400 shipped just after Christmas.   Only just got it installed last week as I finish up my new shop.

• Like 1

Damn. After buying the FTXs and 72s I swore that would be it for now. Two glasses of wine later and I'm now waiting for a set of Apex Plus too. 

I've been trying to whittle it down to three sets because I've never really been a collector, but lockdown has made me go a little odd. I now have nine sets of classic irons and seem to be turning into one of you weirdos. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Damn. After buying the FTXs and 72s I swore that would be it for now. Two glasses of wine later and I'm now waiting for a set of Apex Plus too. 

I've been trying to whittle it down to three sets because I've never really been a collector, but lockdown has made me go a little odd. I now have nine sets of classic irons and seem to be turning into one of you weirdos. 🤣

Nine! And you think you have a problem?

My dear fellow, I think you need to pour yourself another glass!

Cheers! 🤪

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, deejaid said:

This Van L works fantastic and weighs a ton. 

I also have this old Van L bender I bought off Craigslist! I got it with a bunch of old club building supplies for very cheap. It definitely is only good for blades, wedges, and classic irons. Not enough space for cavity irons. If I get tired of it I can always recycle the metal and probably get back more than I paid. It truly is a tank.

The only thing I don't like is that I find it hard to "square" the club in the holder to make sure the adjustments are accurate. Otherwise it bends like a champ.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jmm96 said:

I also have this old Van L bender I bought off Craigslist! I got it with a bunch of old club building supplies for very cheap. It definitely is only good for blades, wedges, and classic irons. Not enough space for cavity irons. If I get tired of it I can always recycle the metal and probably get back more than I paid. It truly is a tank.

The only thing I don't like is that I find it hard to "square" the club in the holder to make sure the adjustments are accurate. Otherwise it bends like a champ.

I’ve found that if I can’t get a club secure I flip the brass pad that clamps the back of the head.  Because it is tapered it will then secure larger heads.  I did my modern Hogan PTX Pro’s this way.

6 minutes ago, deejaid said:

I’ve found that if I can’t get a club secure I flip the brass pad that clamps the back of the head.  Because it is tapered it will then secure larger heads.  I did my modern Hogan PTX Pro’s this way.

Nice! Thanks deejaid. I didn't realize you could flip that brass pad for more space. My next purchase is a new bending bar or sleeve. The old pipe that came with it is effective but pretty brutal on the hosels.

3 minutes ago, Jmm96 said:

Nice! Thanks deejaid. I didn't realize you could flip that brass pad for more space. My next purchase is a new bending bar or sleeve. The old pipe that came with it is effective but pretty brutal on the hosels.

Sure thing.  The supplied bar works well for me without damaging the hosel.  It is also very useful to add to the end of the locking lever to tighten the club down even more.

Here is a pic of a cavity back in the bender with the brass pad flipped.

D9D56CCF-3D1F-42D9-953C-3338D895A30F.jpeg

The Slazenger Apex '72s arrived today. The woods are in a bit of a state and have been worn down to the wood on the soles. 

The irons are in better shape and totally playable. I had a swing with the 8 iron over the field and I really like it. They feel similar to the Starbursts to me, and I even quite liked the Apex 2 shafts, although I did have to wait five minutes for the head to catch up with my hands. 

I'll clean them up and put new grips on because the Lamkins are shot. 

apex 72.jpg

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

The Slazenger Apex '72s arrived today. The woods are in a bit of a state and have been worn down to the wood on the soles. 

The irons are in better shape and totally playable. I had a swing with the 8 iron over the field and I really like it. They feel similar to the Starbursts to me, and I even quite liked the Apex 2 shafts, although I did have to wait five minutes for the head to catch up with my hands. 

I'll clean them up and put new grips on because the Lamkins are shot. 

apex 72.jpg

Glad first impressions are favourable.

Most of my "modern" (post 1972) Hogan's have Apex 4 shafts. Really like that as a shaft.

However last year I started to struggle with my Redlines and had to face facts that I am not getting any younger!

I switched mid season to reg flex FG17's and got on better.

I have recently managed to snare another set of Redlines but this time with Apex 3. I am yet to hit them but was surprised at the difference in flex from the Apex 4.

Most say that Apex shafts play stiffer so even Apex 3 as "regular" play on the stiffer side. Apex 4 probably edge towards extra stiff and so I can only imagine that Apex 5 shafts have zero flex! 

If the gapping from Apex 3 to Apex 2 is similar to Apex 4 to Apex 3 I imagine they must be quite soft hence the delay in the club head catching up with your hands! 

Swing easy and have fun! 

22 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Glad first impressions are favourable.

Most of my "modern" (post 1972) Hogan's have Apex 4 shafts. Really like that as a shaft.

However last year I started to struggle with my Redlines and had to face facts that I am not getting any younger!

I switched mid season to reg flex FG17's and got on better.

I have recently managed to snare another set of Redlines but this time with Apex 3. I am yet to hit them but was surprised at the difference in flex from the Apex 4.

Most say that Apex shafts play stiffer so even Apex 3 as "regular" play on the stiffer side. Apex 4 probably edge towards extra stiff and so I can only imagine that Apex 5 shafts have zero flex! 

If the gapping from Apex 3 to Apex 2 is similar to Apex 4 to Apex 3 I imagine they must be quite soft hence the delay in the club head catching up with your hands! 

Swing easy and have fun! 

Fortunately my tempo can best be described as languid, so I've always been okay with weaker shafts in my irons. In fact, I played some of my best golf using a friend's senior flex graphite shafted irons when I was 30! 

18 hours ago, deejaid said:

Sure thing.  The supplied bar works well for me without damaging the hosel.  It is also very useful to add to the end of the locking lever to tighten the club down even more.

Here is a pic of a cavity back in the bender with the brass pad flipped.

Thanks again. I am definitely going to try this. It should open up the options to use this bender for sure.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Fortunately my tempo can best be described as languid, so I've always been okay with weaker shafts in my irons. In fact, I played some of my best golf using a friend's senior flex graphite shafted irons when I was 30! 

I have several sets with Apex 3 shafts and I get a long with them very well.  It is a much softer feeling shaft compared to the 4 in my opinion.  I have a set of copper coin Medallions with 4's and a set of Sunburst Medallions with 3's and I much prefer the feel of the 3's.  I'm assuming that it is the shaft since the heads are nearly the same.  My 72's have Apex 3 as well.  Even though it is a very compact blade with the weight apparently up high they aren't tough to make good contact with and I find them to be one of the softer feeling Apex's.  

I had a set of 73 Apex's with 2 flex shafts.   I didn't played my best golf with them, but I hit them pretty well.  I re-shafted them with Legend 4 shafts, because it seemed like the right thing to do at the time.  But it was a mistake.  I should have left them alone. 

• Like 2