2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

No new acquistions...?

16 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Picked this FG-17 2i up recently for a decent price. It's been reshafted with a DG200 that's on the short side--same length as a 3i--so I might reshaft it or extend it. 

I've mentioned on here before my set of Wilson FG-J8s, which appear to be identical to the FG-17s, so I was keen to compare the two. They're almost identical, but the J8s have a slightly thicker muscle pad. I measured the J8 3i and FG-17 3i with callipers, and the 3i was about 1mm thicker, which is less even than a sixteenth of an inch. 

98022284_WIlsonFG-172iback.jpg.80f4ab4dbf773c497487cced4cd31a98.jpg1334758869_WilsonFG-172isole.jpg.7005ac1295632ffcdb1a8350e66a25b5.jpg579398537_WilsonFG-172itopline.jpg.216d9d17d3da4374c9bfd7130bce9a14.jpg1527644523_WilsonFG-172iFG-J83ibacks.jpg.a51171720171302ae5e77ebaeeffdd0b.jpg2137508000_WilsonFG-172iFG-J83i.jpg.2ca59c686be6465ccfd80ea90cb40705.jpg

Nice!

I am currently gaming FG17's 1,3-Pw and like them a lot.

Picking up on the length of the 2 iron, I had a similar thing with my Redlines where to 1 iron was the same length as the 3 iron. I actually quite liked that arrangement. Possibly lost a few yards on the 1 iron but I play 1 or 2 irons more for the flight and accuracy into wind etc. The slightly shorter shaft helped with playability of the 1 iron. 

Before reshafting or extending I would try it out as is?

16 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Nice!

I am currently gaming FG17's 1,3-Pw and like them a lot.

Picking up on the length of the 2 iron, I had a similar thing with my Redlines where to 1 iron was the same length as the 3 iron. I actually quite liked that arrangement. Possibly lost a few yards on the 1 iron but I play 1 or 2 irons more for the flight and accuracy into wind etc. The slightly shorter shaft helped with playability of the 1 iron. 

Before reshafting or extending I would try it out as is?

Oh, I will definitely be trying it out before I do anything with the shaft. It's going to be mostly a tee-shot club, and I want it to be longer distance-wise than the 3i. If it is, then'll I leave it alone.

I did check and adjust loft and lie. The loft was just over 19* and I bumped it to 20*. The lie was 57*, which is way too flat for me. I've provisionally set it at 59* and I'll see how that works for me.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Oh, I will definitely be trying it out before I do anything with the shaft. It's going to be mostly a tee-shot club, and I want it to be longer distance-wise than the 3i. If it is, then'll I leave it alone.

I did check and adjust loft and lie. The loft was just over 19* and I bumped it to 20*. The lie was 57*, which is way too flat for me. I've provisionally set it at 59* and I'll see how that works for me.

Interested to hear how that goes. It may depend on the conditions you play in. I could maintain a distance advantage into a breeze or, in hard summer conditions, assisted by a slight draw, in getting the ball running with the 1 iron. Flat calm and "normal" conditions, there was probably very little difference in distance between 1 & 3.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Foozle said:

Interested to hear how that goes. It may depend on the conditions you play in. I could maintain a distance advantage into a breeze or, in hard summer conditions, assisted by a slight draw, in getting the ball running with the 1 iron. Flat calm and "normal" conditions, there was probably very little difference in distance between 1 & 3.

That's a good point. Fairways around here are for the most part soft, so there's not a lot of a rollout. I may not see that much difference between the 2i and 3i. However, I've also got a 4-PW set of custom Wilsons, so the FG-17 2i will be a good companion for that set as well.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Picked this FG-17 2i up recently for a decent price. It's been reshafted with a DG200 that's on the short side--same length as a 3i--so I might reshaft it or extend it. 

I've mentioned on here before my set of Wilson FG-J8s, which appear to be identical to the FG-17s, so I was keen to compare the two. They're almost identical, but the J8s have a slightly thicker muscle pad. I measured the J8 3i and FG-17 3i with callipers, and the 3i was about 1mm thicker, which is less even than a sixteenth of an inch. 

1527644523_WilsonFG-172iFG-J83ibacks.jpg.a51171720171302ae5e77ebaeeffdd0b.jpg

Thanks for posting the information about your recent find Catchy.

reminded me of a Tour Blade 2i with a Dynamic R shaft I located about a year ago while looking for FG-17's.

is there much of a difference between the Wilsons FG-17's and the plain Tour Blades ?

I have 3-9 in the FG-17 model but the TB appears thisclose in style.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

40 minutes ago, @_the_crook said:

is there much of a difference between the Wilsons FG-17's and the plain Tour Blades ?

The 78 Tour Blades muscle is more rounded vertically, with a slightly narrower sole.  It's possible the sole isn't actually narrower but appears such, due to a slightly thicker muscle.

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

27 minutes ago, NRJyzr said:

The 78 Tour Blades muscle is more rounded vertically, with a slightly narrower sole.  It's possible the sole isn't actually narrower but appears such, due to a slightly thicker muscle.

Thank you for the detailed information.

Much appreciated.

based on further inspection -

I have 1-9i, with the 1-3 in TB heads. all in R except the 3i.

even the 1i has the correct steps to be Dynamic R shaft.

for some reason , there's a TM T-D wedge in the same bag, maybe because the head shape is similar. don't remember ever hitting the thing.

a guy could do something with those......

Edited by @_the_crook
ai
  • Like 1

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

11 hours ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

98022284_WIlsonFG-172iback.jpg.80f4ab4dbf773c497487cced4cd31a98.jpg1334758869_WilsonFG-172isole.jpg.7005ac1295632ffcdb1a8350e66a25b5.jpg579398537_WilsonFG-172itopline.jpg.216d9d17d3da4374c9bfd7130bce9a14.jpg1527644523_WilsonFG-172iFG-J83ibacks.jpg.a51171720171302ae5e77ebaeeffdd0b.jpg2137508000_WilsonFG-172iFG-J83i.jpg.2ca59c686be6465ccfd80ea90cb40705.jpg

Nice!  I do love a good 2 iron and yours is in beautiful condition.  The extra muscle thickness on the J8's is very interesting.  I wonder if they are a heavier head?

As much as I'd like to say how great I can hit a 1 or 2 iron I must admit that I usually don't get much more distance out of them than I do my 3 iron.  I'm no Jack Nicklaus! 

11 hours ago, @_the_crook said:

Thanks for posting the information about your recent find Catchy.

reminded me of a Tour Blade 2i with a Dynamic R shaft I located about a year ago while looking for FG-17's.

I have 3-9 in the FG-17 model but the TB appears thisclose in style.

I've not got the plain Tour Blades to compare, unfortunately.

To be honest, I'm not sure if the slight difference in muscle pad thickness between the FG-17 and the FG-J8 is by design or "within tolerance."

5 hours ago, Swingingk said:

Nice!  I do love a good 2 iron and yours is in beautiful condition.  The extra muscle thickness on the J8's is very interesting.  I wonder if they are a heavier head?

As much as I'd like to say how great I can hit a 1 or 2 iron I must admit that I usually don't get much more distance out of them than I do my 3 iron.  I'm no Jack Nicklaus! 

Heh, like you I love a good 2i! I got a real hankering for either a classic 2i or 1i over the Christmas/New Year period, but they are usually quite pricey at auction here, especially the American makes. It's not uncommon to see them starting at $100, and that's without shipping factored in. So, when I saw this one going for less than $20, I had to bid for it. In the end, I paid just over $30 for it including shipping. I'm OK with that.

But, it's really just for fun when I play persimmon and blades. In many cases, I'll probably drop the 3i and carry the 2i instead. I can't think of any courses I play where I am stuck between whether to hit a 2i or 3i😁

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

Heh, like you I love a good 2i! I got a real hankering for either a classic 2i or 1i over the Christmas/New Year period, but they are usually quite pricey at auction here, especially the American makes. It's not uncommon to see them starting at $100, and that's without shipping factored in. So, when I saw this one going for less than $20, I had to bid for it. In the end, I paid just over $30 for it including shipping. I'm OK with that.

But, it's really just for fun when I play persimmon and blades. In many cases, I'll probably drop the 3i and carry the 2i instead. I can't think of any courses I play where I am stuck between whether to hit a 2i or 3i😁

Ha!  That's awesome.  $30 for that?  Nice.  I think I have all the iron sets I want for a while and now I'm on the lookout for 1's and 2's to fill them out.  Well, actually, I still need to get a set of Ram Tour Grinds... Oh and Hogan Redlines.  And... well, you know.  Lol

Funny... I usually play the 2 instead of the 3 as well.  I get along well with all the 2's I have even from the fairway.  Even if I don't I still like to use it. 

Even though i love my one irons the most I rarely play them.  They're too much for me really and I don't often hit good shots with them.  Besides that, in my experience having a 2 in the bag says "Playa!" whereas carrying a 1 iron says "Showoff!"  Haha!

20210127_232247-1.jpg

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Ha!  That's awesome.  $30 for that?  Nice.  I think I have all the iron sets I want for a while and now I'm on the lookout for 1's and 2's to fill them out.  Well, actually, I still need to get a set of Ram Tour Grinds... Oh and Hogan Redlines.  And... well, you know.  Lol

Funny... I usually play the 2 instead of the 3 as well.  I get along well with all the 2's I have even from the fairway.  Even if I don't I still like to use it. 

Even though i love my one irons the most I rarely play them.  They're too much for me really and I don't often hit good shots with them.  Besides that, in my experience having a 2 in the bag says "Playa!" whereas carrying a 1 iron says "Showoff!"  Haha!

20210127_232247-1.jpg

"Playa" versus "Showoff"😁 I like that.

I did hit a perfect 1i shot last year. Blasted one off the tee. I took the club out of the bag after the round, having decided I should just live with the memory of that one shot rather than try and repeat it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 1/28/2021 at 6:09 AM, No_Catchy_Nickname said:

"Playa" versus "Showoff"😁 I like that.

I did hit a perfect 1i shot last year. Blasted one off the tee. I took the club out of the bag after the round, having decided I should just live with the memory of that one shot rather than try and repeat it.

I made a similar comment somewhere else on here that I carry a 1 iron in the hope i hit a pure shot one day and can then retire from golf happy. I am still playing and expect to be for sometime to come! 😁 No one thinks I am showing off when I hit a 1 iron!!!!😱

• Haha 3

On 1/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, deejaid said:

Here you go @Swingingk, the 1961 Spalding Executives.  

I cleaned them up with Bar Keepers Friend and applied new paint fill.   Conditioned the leather grips with a different conditioner that is fantastic.   These grips feel like a soft leather club chair.    Best feeling grips I’ve ever had on a set of classic clubs. 

97F3DD5B-A2F7-439E-9C65-04CFAE32C901.jpeg

96AE1763-E37B-4FB5-A864-8CBE8185AD79.jpeg

FB4E335A-58F8-42FA-A761-15C558016F2A.jpeg

EEF1B044-2C5F-442B-89D8-A1052A6B627D.jpeg

79A0B752-88D4-46A8-AE28-0EEB56789DDB.jpeg

These look so good!  I picked up a set of “professionals” with the spade face that seem to be about the same era.  Do you know much about the Spalding line.  What was the Executive model price comparison the the Professional?

Instagram: cold_war_era_golfer 

35 minutes ago, Stephen8802 said:

Saw these Bicentennial Staffs at Goodwill three weeks ago, thought hmm, full set with bag chatter but good grooves, but I don't need another set of irons; look at my self-control as I walk away. Haven't I matured.

Still there two weeks ago, thought hmm, stiff shafts and they bring back such great memories of 1976; look at my self-control as I walk away.

Saw them in the rack last week took them out for a waggle and realized the Chamois grips still feel nice and soft, I wouldn't even have to re-grip them, just clean 'em up; still the man, still have self-control as I walk away. This is the new me, discipline, I can walk away without bowing to my impulses.

The calendar turned and purple tags are 50% off this week. Now they live with my other 8 sets of Staffs. Nice blades, plenty of life yet, I am weak.

small '76.jpeg

Sometimes you get such a great deal it would be crazy not to take them home!  Nice pickup!

On 1/30/2021 at 10:34 PM, coldwareragolfer said:

These look so good!  I picked up a set of “professionals” with the spade face that seem to be about the same era.  Do you know much about the Spalding line.  What was the Executive model price comparison the the Professional?

Thanks!

According to the Golfworks Price and Identification Guide, the Executive line was first launched in 1961, with the irons retailing for $168, same as the Top-Flite Professional.

1 hour ago, deejaid said:

Thanks!

According to the Golfworks Price and Identification Guide, the Executive line was first launched in 1961, with the irons retailing for $168, same as the Top-Flite Professional.

Wow!  That comes to about $1290 in today's dollar.

Is that price guide a good resource.   I have the Kaplan book for my Wilsons but there's not much out there regarding Spalding.  On the other hand I'm thinking that might be a good sign as far as collectability goes.

1 minute ago, Joe S said:

Found a nice set of Golden Ram Tom Watson Grind irons today.  They were in a lost club bin and the attendant agreed that they had been lost long enough.  So he let me buy them for a reasonable price.  There is a little chrome wear on the soles of the short irons.  Otherwise they are in great shape.

Golden Ram Tom Watson Grind Irons.jpg

Talk about a win   👍😊🤘

• Like 2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

34 minutes ago, Joe S said:

Found a nice set of Golden Ram Tom Watson Grind irons today.  They were in a lost club bin and the attendant agreed that they had been lost long enough.  So he let me buy them for a reasonable price.  There is a little chrome wear on the soles of the short irons.  Otherwise they are in great shape.

Golden Ram Tom Watson Grind Irons.jpg

Wow what a great bit of luck you had there!  Man those are soooo sweet.  Me want...  😅

• Like 1

On 1/15/2021 at 5:34 PM, deejaid said:

Here you go @Swingingk, the 1961 Spalding Executives.  

I cleaned them up with Bar Keepers Friend and applied new paint fill.   Conditioned the leather grips with a different conditioner that is fantastic.   These grips feel like a soft leather club chair.    Best feeling grips I’ve ever had on a set of classic clubs. 

97F3DD5B-A2F7-439E-9C65-04CFAE32C901.jpeg

96AE1763-E37B-4FB5-A864-8CBE8185AD79.jpeg

FB4E335A-58F8-42FA-A761-15C558016F2A.jpeg

EEF1B044-2C5F-442B-89D8-A1052A6B627D.jpeg

79A0B752-88D4-46A8-AE28-0EEB56789DDB.jpeg

I took these in today.   They certainly aren’t as pretty as yours.  The grips are leather but not sure if original.

378EBA81-18C0-47A4-982E-F5321F19184C.jpeg

503BB9B8-6D1B-4D01-8080-8D4D02FE51EB.jpeg

A9133A82-54C3-41EA-BA32-0C47CC173735.jpeg

9B43AF46-0AA9-489B-A51D-42A2EE787B13.jpeg

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, LeftyMac said:

Mint set of K28's with a Wilson Imperial Indestructo bag.  No for me but as a gift to a friend for a favour he did.  Bag needs a little love but will come up well.

K28's (2).jpg

Very cool.  I love whole bag setups like that.  The woods have nifty face inserts and the driver looks like it has a pretty deep face.  What's the putter?

3 minutes ago, Swingingk said:

Very cool.  I love whole bag setups like that.  The woods have nifty face inserts and the driver looks like it has a pretty deep face.  What's the putter?

Putter is just a Wilson Sam Snead copy of an 8802 but the wedge is a early 60's Staff Triple Duty that bizarrely someone has ground a deep, wide groove into the leading edge of the sole.

• Like 1