2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

How durable are these irons shafts? I will not play KBS because of how easily they bend near the hosel. Wonder if there is anything similar happening with these.

I have played a lot of Nippon shafts and never bent a single one. And I'm not babying them.

EVERY set of KBS that I have tried, the tips bent.

same here. not even close

Driver- TITLEIST TSr2 10° AD-HD 6s
3 Wood- TITLEIST TSi2 15° AD-DI 7s
Hybrid- TITLEIST TSr2 21° AD-HY 75s

Irons- SRIXON Zx5 Modus 105s
Wedges- CLEVELAND RTX-6 50/54/58 Tour Spinner 
Putter- PING  PLD Ally Blue 4

Ball- BRIDGESTONE Tour B X

I think I am going to go 105x vs 130s

Been testing 8i and 5i for a month

Flip flopped a few times

105x feels smoother

More repeatable

Holds off left better

i did the same test, 105x and 105s hs1x vs the 130s and the 105 s won. The 130 went a little too high for me in the wind, but both are great and way better then the 120

Went back and redid the testing

on the longer irons, the 130s is unbeatable - straight, high,long tight dispersion

105x is a bit looser and lower - great still, but 130s wins the longer irons

8 iron and the shorter ones it's Dealer's choice....they both are very solid - 105x gets the edge, but close

overall i am back to thinking 130s .......

outside of my own feel, any sage advice out there?

Flip flopped a few times

105x feels smoother

More repeatable

Holds off left better

i did the same test, 105x and 105s hs1x vs the 130s and the 105 s won. The 130 went a little too high for me in the wind, but both are great and way better then the 120

on the longer irons, the 130s is unbeatable - straight, high,long tight dispersion

8 iron and the shorter ones it's Dealer's choice....they both are very solid - 105x gets the edge, but close

I'd go with whatever you feel more comfortable with. If both are giving you decent numbers on the launch monitor then go with whatever one feels better to you.

Came across a set of prototypes marked "Ascending 2 4L". Any one know anything about them?

Played with Peter Malnati today, previous Steel Fiber 110 user, and the Titleist reps with help from Nippon fitted him into this exact shaft about a month ago. Since switching he has made his last couple cuts and said he is seeing more consistency. This shaft is very similar to the Dynamic Gold AMT... X flex was 105 grams in the 3i and goes up 2 grams per club through the 37" shaft (PW). Interesting enough these prototype shafts were glued up through his 9i, then used the Modus3 Tour 125 in both his P and 50º SM6, and TI DG S400 in his 54º and 58º SM6.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Flip flopped a few times

105x feels smoother

More repeatable

Holds off left better

Meet in the middle with 125.

I think this testing could end up being topsy turvy. One day it'll be 105 and then the next it'll be 130 (case in point). Really depends on so many different variables/elements that any giving day presents.

@therealping

Flip flopped a few times

105x feels smoother

More repeatable

Holds off left better

Meet in the middle with 125.

I think this testing could end up being topsy turvy. One day it'll be 105 and then the next it'll be 130 (case in point). Really depends on so many different variables/elements that any giving day presents.

interesting

why do you say that

depends on what

what do you think favors the 105 vs the 130 and vice versa

thanks

It's quite simple really. Golf irrespective of how analytical/technical we want to make it, is still a feel game. And some days we feel it and some days we don't. I hated the 120s, but there were times and glimpses of brilliance with them, and the same is to be said about the others in the Modus lineup. That's why it's difficult to do a one try static fitting. Although I know you've tested them over and over, there are gonna be days that you may prefer on over the other for any number of reasons. And so is golf, and so is life.

Best golf advice I've received is to, "just play." Shame that I haven't heeded that advice.

@therealping

Came across a set of prototypes marked "Ascending 2 4L". Any one know anything about them?

Played with Peter Malnati today, previous Steel Fiber 110 user, and the Titleist reps with help from Nippon fitted him into this exact shaft about a month ago. Since switching he has made his last couple cuts and said he is seeing more consistency. This shaft is very similar to the Dynamic Gold AMT... X flex was 105 grams in the 3i and goes up 2 grams per club through the 37" shaft (PW). Interesting enough these prototype shafts were glued up through his 9i, then used the Modus3 Tour 125 in both his P and 50º SM6, and TI DG S400 in his 54º and 58º SM6.

Would love some more info on these...Mark? Anyone?

I think all too often we put to much stock into shafts. I say get the shaft weight that feels most comfortable and go play it.

Shafts can be a game changer for many. Everyone can benefit in finding the shaft best suited for them. Shaft weight isn't the only factor --- PX 6.5 will perform very differently from X100 or Nippon 130. Kind of a strange post to write in a shaft thread...

I think all too often we put to much stock into shafts. I say get the shaft weight that feels most comfortable and go play it.

Shafts can be a game changer for many. Everyone can benefit in finding the shaft best suited for them. Shaft weight isn't the only factor --- PX 6.5 will perform very differently from X100 or Nippon 130. Kind of a strange post to write in a shaft thread...

Maybe I should have clarified better. All too often with today's technology, we are in search for the perfect shaft in regards to launch monitor performance. Sometimes we completely forget about the feel of a certain shaft. For instance, the 130S might give you slightly better numbers on a launch monitor but the 105X feels better.

I personally think people are better off going with a shaft that feels better than one that gives slightly better numbers on a launch monitor. Overtime, I think you will perform better with the shaft that feels better.

Maybe I should have clarified better. All too often with today's technology, we are in search for the perfect shaft in regards to launch monitor performance. Sometimes we completely forget about the feel of a certain shaft. For instance, the 130S might give you slightly better numbers on a launch monitor but the 105X feels better.

I personally think people are better off going with a shaft that feels better than one that gives slightly better numbers on a launch monitor. Overtime, I think you will perform better with the shaft that feels better.

In that case Im completely with you. On course performance & feel >

"One day it is, the next day it isn't."

@therealping

Would love to read more feedback on the 130S versus 105X.

I have some 130S in the Srixon 945 irons and so far they seem excellent....but only after range sessions. No on course time yet.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

130 player here....... never played such good golf before.

I have been using DG300 in my Mizuno 850 forged irons but just ordered a set of callaway Apex with 130 nippon shafts as I have read many comparisons of the DG300 and nippon 130 shaft. And what I have taken away is nippon may launch higher which i am sort of looking for and although they are same weight the nippon feels lighter, I've read. I traded a new set of xr steelheads in that I had projectx lz shafts in, and those were nice.

just ordered i200s with 105s any recommendations for the 50, 55,60 wedges? currently using I25 CFS stiff in my 4- gap wedge and S400 in my 55/60

The i200 (standard spec) with 105s gave me about 19* launch and just around 6000 spin vs 17* and 4900 spin in the 7 iron.

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

just ordered i200s with 105s any recommendations for the 50, 55,60 wedges? currently using I25 CFS stiff in my 4- gap wedge and S400 in my 55/60

The i200 (standard spec) with 105s gave me about 19* launch and just around 6000 spin vs 17* and 4900 spin in the 7 iron.

I play the 105s in my irons and I went with the matching shaft in my gap wedge (I use my gap wedge mostly for full swings). I went with the 115 wedge shaft in my sand and lob wedge because I like little more weight (122 grams uncut) in those clubs. Can't say enough good things about Modus line.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Does anyone recommend anything to a guy looking at Nippon who's currently playing the C taper 120 stiff?

Like I was saying I went from DG s300 to Nippon 130 which comes in around 124 grams

My 300's are around 128-130 so will give me little lighter shaft higher launch.

Just my opinion but I think you're better off with heavier shaft than lighter, I spent $1200 on 95 aerotech shafts and ball went all over. Then a gutter put me in dg's at 130 .....lower shots, but hit lasers. Add more distance.

Does anyone recommend anything to a guy looking at Nippon who's currently playing the C taper 120 stiff?

Like I was saying I went from DG s300 to Nippon 130 which comes in around 124 grams

My 300's are around 128-130 so will give me little lighter shaft higher launch.

Just my opinion but I think you're better off with heavier shaft than lighter, I spent $1200 on 95 aerotech shafts and ball went all over. Then a gutter put me in dg's at 130 .....lower shots hut lasers. Add more distance.

Modus 125s are bar none the best iron shafts I've EVER used...I have them in my J15 CBs and I would highly recommend them to anyone coming from S300 (played this for at least 10 years) or anything close to that weight range. 120 C Tapers are going to feel similar in weight, but that's where the similarities will end..lol. You will most likely experience a defined smoothness, a slightly higher but controlled penetrating ball flight, and gain at least 1/2 a club ( I personally did and from what I hear, the majority of players that have switched to the Modus 120-130 have also experienced this ...an unexpected but welcomed surprise).

I also LOVE their wedge shaft.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a set of 130x shafts? ebay? Saw you can get a set on tourspecgolf. Thinking I may just reshaft my current set of MB's until I find my next love affair.

sticks n stones golf on ebay usually has cheap/new sets. was about to buy my 105x through them but found a better deal with grips from a WTB ad i put out.

Thanks for the info! I was going to start with the WTB route first as well in hopes I can get grips included. I checked a couple places today and they all charge $16 a club for reshafting. I wanted to keep the reshafting total cost under $300 if I could. Otherwise, it doesn't seem worth it.

Wanted to hold of on new irons until fall when everything is out.

Damn, One guy here in quebec reshafted my entire set of iron for 50$ ca mean like 35$ us haha keep searching buddy!

Ping G430LST w/ TPT 14HI 
Ping G430 Max w/ synergy green 80tx
Honma TW-U forged 18* W/ KBS Prototype 95X
Callaway TCB w/ LAgolf L-series 5
Titleist SM8 50/56  W/ LAgolf

Callaway Jaws Raw 60Z /Kbs 610
Axis 1 Rose model 35.5''
Swing: [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRK_GXV7rDg[/url] (Driver FV)
[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pszXHplqx4[/url] (DTL)

Huge thread here with plenty of people asking for advice, so I thought I'd jump in to get some suggestions as well. I imagine my swing speed is in the low to mid 90s with an iron..

I'm currently playing stock AP2s with DG S300s that are just unmanageable in the wind and very short and high (I usually see a 4 iron divot a few feet ahead of where my ball has wound up) and constantly hit balloon balls. I've been a DG shaft player all my life and thought I'd switch to something just for something with a little less spin and a little less height. I think trying something with some more feel to it would help me as well. As you'll see in my swing I do believe I am a bit of a flipper.. I have an early release and I do know that the high ball flight is totally because of my swing.

Was hoping I could get input on which shaft would work for me Plan is to buy one shaft and get it shafted in my current set and go from there. Based on the readings im debating on a 120X or 125S or X. Hard stepped? soft stepped? That is a whole new realm for me...

My biggest concern is weight and swing weight. I've never found the S300 to be heavy, so I'm wondering how the lighter shaft of 120g feels in the swing? Will I hit it all over the place because it's too light? Or will I have more control, higher swing speed and better distance?

Sorry.. not sure how to get a video on here.

Anyone know the cheapest place to pick up a set of 130x shafts? ebay? Saw you can get a set on tourspecgolf. Thinking I may just reshaft my current set of MB's until I find my next love affair.

sticks n stones golf on ebay usually has cheap/new sets. was about to buy my 105x through them but found a better deal with grips from a WTB ad i put out.

Thanks for the info! I was going to start with the WTB route first as well in hopes I can get grips included. I checked a couple places today and they all charge $16 a club for reshafting. I wanted to keep the reshafting total cost under $300 if I could. Otherwise, it doesn't seem worth it.

Wanted to hold of on new irons until fall when everything is out.

Damn, One guy here in quebec reshafted my entire set of iron for 50$ ca mean like 35$ us haha keep searching buddy!

I found a shop to do it for $10 a club so I'll probably call it good and go there. Ill get my 130x this week. I'll take them in next Monday to be reshafted and I'll be able to play and practice with them after that. Looking forward to seeing how they perform.

Huge thread here with plenty of people asking for advice, so I thought I'd jump in to get some suggestions as well. I imagine my swing speed is in the low to mid 90s with an iron..

I'm currently playing stock AP2s with DG S300s that are just unmanageable in the wind and very short and high (I usually see a 4 iron divot a few feet ahead of where my ball has wound up) and constantly hit balloon balls. I've been a DG shaft player all my life and thought I'd switch to something just for something with a little less spin and a little less height. I think trying something with some more feel to it would help me as well. As you'll see in my swing I do believe I am a bit of a flipper.. I have an early release and I do know that the high ball flight is totally because of my swing.

Was hoping I could get input on which shaft would work for me Plan is to buy one shaft and get it shafted in my current set and go from there. Based on the readings im debating on a 120X or 125S or X. Hard stepped? soft stepped? That is a whole new realm for me...

My biggest concern is weight and swing weight. I've never found the S300 to be heavy, so I'm wondering how the lighter shaft of 120g feels in the swing? Will I hit it all over the place because it's too light? Or will I have more control, higher swing speed and better distance?

Sorry.. not sure how to get a video on here.

I would highly recommend the 125S to anyone coming from S300 (played this for at least 10 years) or anything close to that weight range.You will most likely experience a defined smoothness, a slightly higher but controlled penetrating ball flight, and gain at least 1/2 a club ( I personally did and from what I hear, the majority of players that have switched to the Modus 120-130 have also experienced this ...an unexpected but welcomed surprise).

In your case, if you want a lower ball flight, you may want the 125X or the 125S HS at least once. It's the right weight coming from S300s though.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

Modus 125s are bar none the best iron shafts I've EVER used...I have them in my J15 CBs and I would highly recommend them to anyone coming from S300 (played this for at least 10 years) or anything close to that weight range. 120 C Tapers are going to feel similar in weight, but that's where the similarities will end..lol. You will most likely experience a defined smoothness, a slightly higher but controlled penetrating ball flight, and gain at least 1/2 a club ( I personally did and from what I hear, the majority of players that have switched to the Modus 120-130 have also experienced this ...an unexpected but welcomed surprise).

Nevermind didn't read far enough.

I thought you may have switched it up by now. I'm wanting to give the 130s a trial.

@therealping