2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I've always preferred the s400 tour issue straight in or soft stepped (8 iron). I also like the super peening blue as wedge shafts. I had the modus 115 wedge shafts and I couldn't get use to that specific feel. I ordered some of those elusive Betty wedges recently and I'll give the kbs 610 wedge shaft a fair show.

If you liked S400 and have moved into some Tour105 I highly recommend the iron shaft version of the Tour125. Love the tighter feel of the iron 125 vs. the wedge 125. The wedge version to me is lighter and more like an S200. The iron version feels closer to a crisper S300/S400. And the profile is similar to the 105 so should feel familiar but a touch of heft. Did you ever end up trying a Tour125 37" in a wedge?

Nope, but I have one lying around. The s400 has been such a solid performer that I haven't really ventured that far yet.

I'm still with the 125 in irons. Had a good run with the 105s in some s55, but like the tighter feel of the 125 a bit more. Really having the itch for the 130s though.

DO IT!

I like PX6.0LZ in my irons. What shaft do you recommend for wedges? Modus3 125S 8 iron shaft? I am trying a 125 wedge shaft in my 56 and like it. Open to playing however.

I would suggest 125S. You may find you need it hardstepped. I have heard the LZ's launch and spin a tad more, interested to hear your thoughts after trying both.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I fit squarely into KBS Tour 130x according to the Mizuno shaft optimizer and I like the feel and performance of the shaft. My only issue is that the heavier weight shaft tends to wear on me during the course of a round - especially in my left wrist and forearm. I also play the irons +1/2 and the extra weight and length just fatigues me.

I am considering going into a lighter weight option and was wondering if anyone had thought as to whether the Modus 120x or 105x might be a comparable, but lighter weight option?

Also, assuming these are options, what wedge shaft is the most obvious match for the lighter iron shaft?

I'm no expert, but since the kbs are considered counter balanced, the most comparable nippon would be the 130.

Yeah, the 130s were the shaft optimizer's second choice for me, but I just can't handle the heavier shafts anymore. By the end of 18 holes, I am hurting.

I guess my real question is: if I fit into KBS Tour 130x, but want something lighter, would the 105x be a poor choice (I.e., would they launch and spin considerably higher?)

BCULAW,

I am guessing you need these new shafts for your new Taylormade irons you are getting. I followed that thread and I was very jealous of you guys. I think the 105x is perfect for where you are heading. The 105/125 profile is very similar to KBS Tours. The KBS Tour V is more similar to the 130s. The 105x weighs in at around 114 uncut and will save you a decent amount of weight.

As for wedges, the 125 Tour Mark mentions is going to give you that S400 feel and weight in wedges. The Modus Tour Wedge is going to be more in line with an S200 or KBS HiRev IMO. I really liked the 125 Tour soft stepped. Gives you the weight and feel and a touch more softness in the flex.

I fit squarely into KBS Tour 130x according to the Mizuno shaft optimizer and I like the feel and performance of the shaft. My only issue is that the heavier weight shaft tends to wear on me during the course of a round - especially in my left wrist and forearm. I also play the irons +1/2 and the extra weight and length just fatigues me.

I am considering going into a lighter weight option and was wondering if anyone had thought as to whether the Modus 120x or 105x might be a comparable, but lighter weight option?

Also, assuming these are options, what wedge shaft is the most obvious match for the lighter iron shaft?

I am in the same boat regarding the weight of the shaft. I just get tired of swinging after 18 holes. I'm going to BST my 765's with Modus 125S shafts. They feel and perform flawlessly when I'm fresh, but I'm more of a 105 guy after all. I have a 105S in my 565 4-iron and it's about perfect. I may go to the 105X SSx1 for the 5-P.

I just received 105s in my iron set right now, I have DGs200's currently in my 54&58 vokey wedges. Ordered the AW 51* with the 105s, which came with my iron set. Wondering what modus shaft to change to for my 54 which I will use on full shots and lower pitches around/close to greens when I need the ball to roll more, my 58* I will use for around the greens predominately on chipping, greenside bunker play, more half shots etc. I have the 125wedge shaft in an old 56* vokey, which seemed to be great around the greens, but on full shots I lost distance, felt too stiff to me. Any ideas/feedback would be great, on what modus shaft/shafts to try in my 54/58....thanks.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

I do love my 130s. Been toying with the notion of 105x SS1x due to weight but I keep coming back to the fact it's only 10 grams and I do love my current set. If I'm going to save weight I would want to HS 105s but that makes it tough in the wedge. I just need to be happy with what I have right now.

Don't do it.

Why do I say that?

Because I've already done it with a set of Prototype ST (Proto of 105) X Flex SS1x.

105x is a great shaft...no doubt...but the heft/flight/feel of the 130 is much better.

There's nothing like absolutely standing on a 4 iron with the 130s...and getting a rope-straight ballflight that gets up and out there...right where you wanted it to.

...then 3 putting.

:(

I'm no expert, but since the kbs are considered counter balanced, the most comparable nippon would be the 130.

Yeah, the 130s were the shaft optimizer's second choice for me, but I just can't handle the heavier shafts anymore. By the end of 18 holes, I am hurting.

I guess my real question is: if I fit into KBS Tour 130x, but want something lighter, would the 105x be a poor choice (I.e., would they launch and spin considerably higher?)

BCULAW,

I am guessing you need these new shafts for your new Taylormade irons you are getting. I followed that thread and I was very jealous of you guys. I think the 105x is perfect for where you are heading. The 105/125 profile is very similar to KBS Tours. The KBS Tour V is more similar to the 130s. The 105x weighs in at around 114 uncut and will save you a decent amount of weight.

As for wedges, the 125 Tour Mark mentions is going to give you that S400 feel and weight in wedges. The Modus Tour Wedge is going to be more in line with an S200 or KBS HiRev IMO. I really liked the 125 Tour soft stepped. Gives you the weight and feel and a touch more softness in the flex.

You are correct! I placed my order last night, and am very excited to get them. Unfortunately, after 2 days of fitting, I ended up going a different direction with the shaft. I'm still anxious to try the Modus line, just couldn't decide on which model to go with and wanted to avoid tearing the TM set down in the event I didn't like the selection. I went with an old standby.

I am in the same boat regarding the weight of the shaft. I just get tired of swinging after 18 holes. I'm going to BST my 765's with Modus 125S shafts. They feel and perform flawlessly when I'm fresh, but I'm more of a 105 guy after all. I have a 105S in my 565 4-iron and it's about perfect. I may go to the 105X SSx1 for the 5-P.

My fitting the last couple of days was very eye-opening. I feel the same way about the wear and tear during the round from the shaft. I was fit on Wednesday and hit approximately 200 balls during the process. I was 92-93 mph with the 6 iron according to the Mizuno optimizer - solidly in the x-flex range. The optimizer suggested KBS 130x, Modus 130X, and PX 6.5 as the top 3. I went yesterday for a follow up fitting and was hanging out in the 89-90 mph range for swingspeed - decidedly in the "stiff" flex range. Suggested shafts were KBS Tour 120s, KBS FLT 120s, and AMT s300.

Bottom line is that I think the back-to-back fittings gave me a decent idea of what is happening to my body and swing during the course of a round (and definitely during golf on consecutive days). I ended up going with stiff flex in the irons just because I would rather stay good when I am fatigued than just be good when I am fresh.

You can order a 37" wedge shaft, that is what I use in my 52. Or can try the tiger stepped 8i shaft but I've never done that so can't comment on how it would be different. To me, tiger stepping will just create a softer lower section and would end up being pretty much closer to the wedge 125 version which has that softer lower section for lower flight, higher spin. I prefer more of a firm tip feeling and don't need the extra spin, I pinch it just fine and launch plenty high to begin with.

would you recommend the 125 S in the 37" and if i was do tiger step the 8 iron shaft should i get 125 x shaft?

Thanks btw everyone this is great stuff learning a lot here :)

Ping G400 Max / Speeder 661 Evo IV 
Sim Ti 3 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Cobra Radspeed 5 / HZRDUS Blue 75
Oven Nike Vapor Fly Pro 4 / Modus3 105
Ping I210 5-U / Modus3 105
Vokey SM8 54D / Modus3 125

Vokey SM8 58 LBK / Modus3 125

Nike Origin Naked B2-01

Anyone playing or have played the 120x hard stepped 1x?

If so, what is/was your thoughts about it?

I'd go to the TX first. The tips in the 120 profile are already stiff, hard stepping probably won't do much, going to the TX would be better if you are wanting to go stiffer or less spin than 120x....

PING G410 9 Flat(HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5/Ventus Black 7x)
PING G410 14.5 (HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5)
PING G425 LST 14.5 (Speeder Tour Spec 7.2x)

PING G410 17.5 (HZRDUS T1100 85g 6.5)

NIKE Vapor Fly 20* Iron (Modus105x HS)

PING i500 20* iron (DG105x100)

P7TW 3-PW (DGX7)

52 milled grind (DGX7)  / Vokey TVD K 58 (DGX7)
TM Spider Armlock/SIK Armlock

Just wanted to sing the praises of the 130's again.

Played in the usual 'trade winds' out here this past weekend, 20-30mph winds. These shafts are so awesome, and super straight. I hit 14/18 greens, 2 were missed because I flew the green. I'm hitting everything so much further with these shafts. I'm also rusty, and still don't know my distances yet. All I know is that my irons are flying lol.

Summary, very little curve on shots but workable, can control trajectory, reduced spin slightly (which I needed), wonderful feel, and I've gained distance with all my irons. Sounds like a good fit to me (cool)

I've always preferred the s400 tour issue straight in or soft stepped (8 iron). I also like the super peening blue as wedge shafts. I had the modus 115 wedge shafts and I couldn't get use to that specific feel. I ordered some of those elusive Betty wedges recently and I'll give the kbs 610 wedge shaft a fair show.

If you liked S400 and have moved into some Tour105 I highly recommend the iron shaft version of the Tour125. Love the tighter feel of the iron 125 vs. the wedge 125. The wedge version to me is lighter and more like an S200. The iron version feels closer to a crisper S300/S400. And the profile is similar to the 105 so should feel familiar but a touch of heft. Did you ever end up trying a Tour125 37" in a wedge?

thats exactly what i'm looking for! So i'll be honest do i just ask for 125 tour iron shaft cut to wedge length?

You can order a 37" wedge shaft, that is what I use in my 52. Or can try the tiger stepped 8i shaft but I've never done that so can't comment on how it would be different. To me, tiger stepping will just create a softer lower section and would end up being pretty much closer to the wedge 125 version which has that softer lower section for lower flight, higher spin. I prefer more of a firm tip feeling and don't need the extra spin, I pinch it just fine and launch plenty high to begin with.

I second that formula . Have been using the Modus 125 37 inch iron shaft in wedges since they were introduced in Japan as the system 3. Irons have 120S ,wedges 125 iron wedge shafts. Any D Gold players that hit my wedges always like that set up.

"Only the lazy ones fail !" Paul Bertholy, PGA

www.dougferreri.com

After playing Modus 105 shafts and coming to the realization that the lighter shafts actually helped my tempo, I began to experiment with lighter wedge shafts. Currently, I am playing Steelfibers I95's stiff in my wedges and so far so great. It is keeping my tempo the same as the Modus 105 shafts but also giving me control,

So those that are asking which wedge shaft pairs up with Modus 105 shafts, these works well for me.

Mizuno JPX 900 driver
Mizuno JPX 900 3 wood
Mizuno JPX 900 5 wood
Mizuno MP 66 irons with Modus 105 shafts
Scratch 50,55,60 wedges with Steelfibers I95's
Mizuno MP A303 putter

Jumped on trackman today to try and decide on a shaft for my P770 order. It came down to PX and modus 130. In the end, the 130 edged out the PX in feel and dispersion. All other numbers were splitting hairs.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I do love my 130s. Been toying with the notion of 105x SS1x due to weight but I keep coming back to the fact it's only 10 grams and I do love my current set. If I'm going to save weight I would want to HS 105s but that makes it tough in the wedge. I just need to be happy with what I have right now.

Don't do it.

Why do I say that?

Because I've already done it with a set of Prototype ST (Proto of 105) X Flex SS1x.

105x is a great shaft...no doubt...but the heft/flight/feel of the 130 is much better.

There's nothing like absolutely standing on a 4 iron with the 130s...and getting a rope-straight ballflight that gets up and out there...right where you wanted it to.

...then 3 putting.

:(

well Said

toyed with 105x and 130s for 2 months....NOTHING matches that 130s pured feeling.........

105x is an unreal shaft as you said

130s is just up yet another notch...

Jumped on trackman today to try and decide on a shaft for my P770 order. It came down to PX and modus 130. In the end, the 130 edged out the PX in feel and dispersion. All other numbers were splitting hairs.

How did you like the 130 compared to your c-Taper's? Did you hit the Modus 125?

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

How did you like the 130 compared to your c-Taper's? Did you hit the Modus 125?

I did not hit the modus 125, but i did hit the 120. 120 is definitely not for me, as i have a late release. It was between the PX and 130. The Ctaper wasn't nearly as solid a strike as what i was getting from the PX and 130. The difference in strike sound was quite obvious. The 130S is so smooth and The number were just a smidge better than PX. The smooth feel and bit better dispersion put the 130 at tops for me. I have them in my current 945s and they are quite nice.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I just have to know for myself, just grabbed a new single 8 iron shaft off the bay for $25 shipped - NS Pro Modus3 125 s.

I will just have it swapped out so I can test on course.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I just have to know for myself, just grabbed a new single 8 iron shaft off the bay for $25 shipped - NS Pro Modus3 125 s.

I will just have it swapped out so I can test on course.

Kinda surprised you are not trying X? From what I've read about the 125, it should be pretty significantly smoother feeling than the CTapers. The s flex would be even more so I would guess. Curious about your results.

I don't need to be in X, never should have been. I tried them on a whim when I grabbed a used partial set of 64's, and I got along fine with them, but it is just too much work, and I play quite a bit. I need something easier to play, something smoother, easier on my wrists.

I have never hit a Nippon shaft, pretty excited to try this out. My whole bag is set for 2017, but need to figure out this iron/wedge shaft deal. I am not rushing in as per usual, testing will happen on the course. I am fine with the C-Taper's at the moment, but they will start wearing on me as the season progresses, especially when we play 3-4 days in a row.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Interesting you should recommend the Tour125 for wedges.... I played with Peter Malnati last week and he has switched (from Steelfibre 110) to the Ascending 2 4L in his 716 TMB's 5i thru 9i, Tour125 in his TMB pitch & SM6 50°, and finally DGTI S400 in SM6 54° & 58°. DIZZYING set up but might make sense as the club's transition from irons to wedges.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Ok, so quickly decided I wanted more of a test than that, so have the 8-P coming in the Modus Tour 125. If it fails miserably, will just thrown the MP5 8-P back in the bag til I find the right shafts.

I am not overly concerned, as I have not really ever hit a shaft I hated, and I have played a goofy mix over the past years.

Insomnia and a PP account with funds is a bad thing....

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

Ok, so quickly decided I wanted more of a test than that, so have the 8-P coming in the Modus Tour 125. If it fails miserably, will just thrown the MP5 8-P back in the bag til I find the right shafts.

I am not overly concerned, as I have not really ever hit a shaft I hated, and I have played a goofy mix over the past years.

Not to dampen the excitement, but a more probable test would include a long/mid iron. Difficult to really distinguish results from just testing in the scoring irons. It'd be nice to be able to test full sets, but normally a 6 or 7 iron would/should suffice.

I was going to go with 130s after having played 120x and hit the st proto x which is a 105. I wanted to go 130s or 105s but I got a decent deal on some e11's so I figured I'd try them out. Having played spb 950 1150 modus and steelfiber I can't seem to find the right shaft for my s55.

105 in the s55 "was" a great combo for me.

@therealping

Not to dampen the excitement, but a more probable test would include a long/mid iron. Difficult to really distinguish results from just testing in the scoring irons. It'd be nice to be able to test full sets, but normally a 6 or 7 iron would/should suffice.

I was going to go with 130s after having played 120x and hit the st proto x which is a 105. I wanted to go 130s or 105s but I got a decent deal on some e11's so I figured I'd try them out. Having played spb 950 1150 modus and steelfiber I can't seem to find the right shaft for my s55.

105 in the s55 "was" a great combo for me.

A bit of a gamble that they will be the right ones, if so, 1/3 of the way home.

I think it will tell me what I need to know.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

T100s 6-G PX LZ
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x