2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

So still up in the air whether I would switch all my T-MBs to 120X or just get rid of them and buy another iron that might offer more spin with 120S, 120X, 125S &105S...

Or...drop a 130S down into a 6 iron from either set.

Then...within 24 hours of a large range bucket...watch yourself scour the internet for 130S shaft pulls.

So still up in the air whether I would switch all my T-MBs to 120X or just get rid of them and buy another iron that might offer more spin with 120S, 120X, 125S &105S...

Then...within 24 hours of a large range bucket...watch yourself scour the internet for 130S shaft pulls.

130S suits late release. I don't think I have a late release. I had kbs tour v's and couldnt launch them that high, they were in a similar category to 130S but lighter.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

LOVE this response

still struggling with the final decision of 105x vs 130s .....

130s give me the extra height and spin i desire - bit better ball speed as well

but the 105x is so smooth....

any sage advice JJ9000, Mark, Others?

they Both "feel" incredible

appreciated

LOVE this response

appreciated

I played the 120X for 5 years, monkeyed with the 130S and now with the 105X for 2 years. The biggest difference between the 130 and 105 is the obvious "bear" of weight. I just prefer the 105 because of the ease of swinging the lighter overall weight club. I don't feel the need to SWING the club all out every time. It has awaken my long irons with higher ball speed and easier elevation and less fatigue at the end of a long day. My only draw back from a player's perspective is partial shots as heavier clubs will tend to allow more control on less than full shots... I just have to be mindful when executing them. I play the 105 through my 50º gap then S400 in both middle and lofted wedges.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

LOVE this response

appreciated

I played the 120X for 5 years, monkeyed with the 130S and now with the 105X for 2 years. The biggest difference between the 130 and 105 is the obvious "bear" of weight. I just prefer the 105 because of the ease of swinging the lighter overall weight club. I don't feel the need to SWING the club all out every time. It has awaken my long irons with higher ball speed and easier elevation and less fatigue at the end of a long day. My only draw back from a player's perspective is partial shots as heavier clubs will tend to allow more control on less than full shots... I just have to be mindful when executing them. I play the 105 through my 50º gap then S400 in both middle and lofted wedges.

thanks

appreciated and i hear you

I am looking for more height and spin as well - i trap the ball and have a very low launch and spin swing

130 s helps me more in that respect with the more active tip

i think that more than makes up for the extra weight

in fact, the more active tip gives me better on balance ball speed than the 105x

the issue is that the damn 105x is so consistent and smooth to swing as well, i still struggle with the final decision

jj9000, Mark, any other sage views solicited please

thanks

What's the easiest wayto tell one's release type?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

The mizuno optimizer does a pretty good job

How about through ball flight (high or low), shallow or steep plane, etc.?

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Just put 120 R 2&3 irons in my A-Grind 21° 7W(tipped 3/4") and 22° 4H proto(tipped 1"). So smooth, ball flight off the turf is perfect. Off the tee is to high but I carry 2 drivers and a driving iron so not really a issue.

Have 130x's in z545 5-7 & z745 8-aw bent 1° weak. Started out straight in. Back and shoulder athritus forced me to try SSX2, But left side came into play more times than I like. So I'm now thinking of just SSX1.

I play a 57° SW, same length as other 2 wedges,as my only other wedge. before SS them had a S200 in there which I never liked.

So now that i have to buy a new wedge shaft. I have a question for who ever has hit 120x/tx and the 125 wedge in there wedges, which one was lower launching for them?

My driver Swing speed 100-112.

8 or 9 iron 150 club, depending on how back and shoulder are feeling that day.

How about through ball flight (high or low), shallow or steep plane, etc.?

I'm not sure how one would go about that if you do not have an optimizer near you. You could upload a video I am sure someone in the instruction forum would be able to steer you in the right direction.

Edit: if I had to make a generalization high ball hitters tend to release earlier but that isn't a hard and fast rule.

TM M6 9 Graphite Design HD 6x
TM M6 15 Graphite Design TP 7x
TM M6 18 Graphite Design VR 8x
Mizuno JPX 921 SEL 4-G Nippon SPO

Mizuno T22 56D, 61X Nippon SPO
Byron Morgan DH89 SSS 350g KBS CT Tour black

I agree.

My release # is 3 on the Mizuno Optimizer...with 9 being earliest and 1 being latest.

Probably why 120s don't work for me.

I found my old mizuno shaft results from ages ago and I had 9. Explains why I like to modus 120

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

Has anyone ever seen modus shafts that say system 3 on them? I have modus 130's and part of the lettering is red and the other part is blue but my buddy that has web.com status asked me why his nippon modus shafts had different stickers than mine. He was fitted for his on the tour van and they are all red and they say system 3. He has modus 125's. Thanks.

Has anyone ever seen modus shafts that say system 3 on them? I have modus 130's and part of the lettering is red and the other part is blue but my buddy that has web.com status asked me why his nippon modus shafts had different stickers than mine. He was fitted for his on the tour van and they are all red and they say system 3. He has modus 125's. Thanks.

I think the American version was blue and red and the Japan release for them were all red.

I think

Who has played the 125 stiffs and how do they compare to the 130 stiff and 105 stiff? Grabbing a set and wondering if I need to soft step or go straight in.

I find stiffness between 105 and 125 similar

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

Who has played the 125 stiffs and how do they compare to the 130 stiff and 105 stiff? Grabbing a set and wondering if I need to soft step or go straight in.

The 130 feel more active and to me have a little more of a kick to them. The 125 and 105 were less active, gave the same mid flight for me. The 130 flew a little higher. I think the 130 is a great shaft for me.......but I found a set of e11's that are great as well. I personally felt they were all similar flex wise overall....easily could feel how they were different profiles though.

I'm now on staff with Callaway, and since they don't offer the 125s I've been going back and forth between the 120x and 130s. I reached out to Mark for assistance a while back but I'm circling back around. I have a mid release (5 on mizuno optimizer) so I think I could get away with either profile. I have quick tempo, a Stenson-like weight shift off the ball, and a very strong/forceful transition, especially in relation to my modest swing speed (88-89 mph 6 iron). I loved the feel of 105X but the miss was a consistent pull. Coming from KBS Tour S+ and before that PX 6.0. Optimizer actually suggested KBS Tour X, PX 6.5, LZ 6.5. I've never played X before but was pleasantly surprised experimenting with various X shafts last fall. I like to be able to feel the clubhead and I haven't faired well with counterbalanced wood shafts. If it helps at all I love GD AD-DI and DI-TP. All this talk about late release for 130 steered me towards 120x, but now that the Apex Pro heads are backordered 2 weeks I'm considering switching the order to 130S. The higher launch of the 130 is appealing and I'm wondering if the stiff butt of 130 would bettter suit my forceful transition. Also concerned that launch/spin could be too low with 120X (tip too stiff?) especially having never played X before. I've been thrown off a bit b/c with wood shafts I typically like a softer butt/stiffer tip. The notion of why that fits an early release was questioned a couple of pages ago, but it wasn't really answered. If Mark or anyone else could help steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the novel, just want to make the right decision and I'm being pulled in both directions.

I'm now on staff with Callaway, and since they don't offer the 125s I've been going back and forth between the 120x and 130s. I reached out to Mark for assistance a while back but I'm circling back around. I have a mid release (5 on mizuno optimizer) so I think I could get away with either profile. I have quick tempo, a Stenson-like weight shift off the ball, and a very strong/forceful transition, especially in relation to my modest swing speed (88-89 mph 6 iron). I loved the feel of 105X but the miss was a consistent pull. Coming from KBS Tour S+ and before that PX 6.0. Optimizer actually suggested KBS Tour X, PX 6.5, LZ 6.5. I've never played X before but was pleasantly surprised experimenting with various X shafts last fall. I like to be able to feel the clubhead and I haven't faired well with counterbalanced wood shafts. If it helps at all I love GD AD-DI and DI-TP. All this talk about late release for 130 steered me towards 120x, but now that the Apex Pro heads are backordered 2 weeks I'm considering switching the order to 130S. The higher launch of the 130 is appealing and I'm wondering if the stiff butt of 130 would bettter suit my forceful transition. Also concerned that launch/spin could be too low with 120X (tip too stiff?) especially having never played X before. I've been thrown off a bit b/c with wood shafts I typically like a softer butt/stiffer tip. The notion of why that fits an early release was questioned a couple of pages ago, but it wasn't really answered. If Mark or anyone else could help steer me in the right direction I'd appreciate it. Sorry for the novel, just want to make the right decision and I'm being pulled in both directions.

All I hear in my head reading your post is 125. You seem to be hung up on what you can order and not what you need. I'd say order something, pull, sell, buy 125S (maybe hardstepped) and enjoy your new clubs. If you can, possibly look into ordering PX LZ, maybe 6.0 for you, could be similar to 125S. Similar kick and feel I've heard, just slightly more spin and launch. Or just see what you can order and what sells for the most on ebay to recoup some money to help buy the 125's.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Thanks Mark. You are spot on...I had my mind made up to go with 125's and when I found out they weren't offered by Callaway I started backtracking. I'm going to follow your advice. I hope more manufacturers start to offer the complete Nippon lineup. Most now offer the 105 so it's strange they wouldn't offer the same profile in a heavier/more traditional weight. I'll circle back with a review once I get the new sticks. Thanks again!

The TOUR125 model was initially released in the US to club maker shops, with the shaft screen of "Modus3 Tour125 System3". The following year, both the TOUR105 and TOUR125 were released at the PGA show, with the screens matching the same style/lettering as the TOUR120 and TOUR130 models. However, the TOUR125, and the Tour125 System3, are the same identical shaft. So your friend on Tour is playing the TOUR125, but with the original shaft screen..., before it was changed to TOUR125. If you search some clubmaker shops you might be able to find this older screen.

3step