It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Hey Mark and Co.,

Ive been playing the modus 120s since launch because I love the feel of the shaft. The soft butt stiff tip section has always worked for my driver so when these came out, this was ideal.

Ive recently switched to a higher spinning iron head from what I used to play and am now wondering if going up a flex might help keep spin down.

Last numbers with a 33deg 7 iron

120 bs on stock swing 117 on 3/4

19deg launch

5800 spin

170 carry

I know some will say 5800 is too low, but this was off of a mat (which produces lower spin numbers than on grass) but my home club is quite windy and 75% off the approach shots are into the wind so I prefer having to have my equipment to be a touch lower spinning than "ideal."

would a ss 120x help manage spin or a moot point?

Sometimes going to x may increase spin. That's what happened to me. I would keep as is and try different balls.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

Does anyone know where you can order wedges with the Modus wedge shafts installed? Do any OEMs or websites offer this as an option? I would prefer Vokey but would look at other wedges. All the custom options I'm seeing are the Modus iron shaft versions as an option and not the specific Modus wedge 105/115/125. Thanks.

Does anyone know where you can order wedges with the Modus wedge shafts installed? Do any OEMs or websites offer this as an option? I would prefer Vokey but would look at other wedges. All the custom options I'm seeing are the Modus iron shaft versions as an option and not the specific Modus wedge 105/115/125. Thanks.

Cleveland do them, I ended up getting Cleveland RTX-3 with modus 115s

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

As someone who was in C-Taper 130X, but probably should have been in 125 S+, I have found the Tour125 S a fantastic transition away from C-Taper.

Do you find the Modus 125 Stiff is comparable to the C-Taper 125 S+ in terms of flex?

Have you tried the Modus 125X of 125X soft stepped?

I can play the C-Taper in S+, but I like the feel of the Stiff straight in a little better.

125 was the first Nippon I ever tried, loved it right away. The C-Taper seems a bit more rigid through the length of the shaft, but I can absolutely get after the Modus.

The 125 would seem perfect for someone coming from c-taper s, or s+, IMO. I had 0 pain in my elbows/forearms/wrists after 54 holes last weekend.

Just so I am clear on this, you are talking about the 125 Stiff flex?

I've been playing X or Xss so long I'm tentative about going back to Stiff. The C-Tapers are a different story, however. The Stiff plays like an Xss.

Yes, 125 stiff. I came from 130X, had no issues, but as I said, probably should have been in 125 S+in the Tapers.

Try one if you can. You may need an X ssX1

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before but I didn't want to read all comments to find out.

Been playing the 130x in my irons for a month now and seems to be a perfect fit.

Wedges are worn out and going to purchase a new set but want to get a good Nippon shaft to match in wedges. I've been looking at T7's and they have a no upchatge for 105 shaft but those are pretty light shafts.

Should I stick to the Nippon wedge 125 shaft or possibly stick a 130x shaft in wedges for consistency through my set? Or is the kick point better in. Wedge shafts for wedges?

I'm sorry if this has been talked about before but I didn't want to read all comments to find out.

Been playing the 130x in my irons for a month now and seems to be a perfect fit.

Wedges are worn out and going to purchase a new set but want to get a good Nippon shaft to match in wedges. I've been looking at T7's and they have a no upchatge for 105 shaft but those are pretty light shafts.

Should I stick to the Nippon wedge 125 shaft or possibly stick a 130x shaft in wedges for consistency through my set? Or is the kick point better in. Wedge shafts for wedges?

I have 130's and also have them in the wedges and love them. Love that every club feels the same. While they are a touch high they don't overspin and drop and stop for me and they still get through the wind great.

I have the 130s right to gap and then 125 wedge shafts in the 56 and 60

I find i can flight them better, great feel around green and and easy transition in the set off the 130s myself

I have the 130s right to gap and then 125 wedge shafts in the 56 and 60

I find i can flight them better, great feel around green and and easy transition in the set off the 130s myself

I like this. Seems like that would be a good balance as I mostly take full shots with gap wedge compared to the other two.

Playing the 105s in 5-AW, modus 115 wedge in my 54&58. So far so good.

Rogue 10.5* GDIZ 55s
Rogue 17* GDIZ 75s
Titleist H1 3H GDDI 85s
PXG GEN6 0311P 5-GW Aerotech SteelFiber Private Reserve 110S
Vokey SM6 54-S, 58-M NS Pro Modus 105S
Toulon Austin Stroke Lab 34" Putter Pistol Grip

Chrome Soft/ProV1 

Hey Mark and Co.,

Ive been playing the modus 120s since launch because I love the feel of the shaft. The soft butt stiff tip section has always worked for my driver so when these came out, this was ideal.

Ive recently switched to a higher spinning iron head from what I used to play and am now wondering if going up a flex might help keep spin down.

19deg launch

5800 spin

170 carry

I know some will say 5800 is too low, but this was off of a mat (which produces lower spin numbers than on grass) but my home club is quite windy and 75% off the approach shots are into the wind so I prefer having to have my equipment to be a touch lower spinning than "ideal."

Same here except my spin is even higher with the 120s.

I've heard to strengthen the loft on the irons might be the solution.

Also I know this has probably been answered already but would a 105x give me the about the same characteristics as a 120s? Reason I ask is I thought about going lighter but I don't want higher launch or higher spin.

Staying on the iron to wedge topic. I know this has been talked about in some older threads but wanted to make sure. What is the consensus on what Modus 120 iron players are liking in their wedges (SW/LW), sticking with the Modus 120 or moving to the 105 wedge or 115 wedge series?

I'm have 115 wedge with my 120 S irons. Can't really say if I've fallen with love with them yet. Still getting used to the different feel. Maybe I'll try 125 or something else like kbs hi rev

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

Staying on the iron to wedge topic. I know this has been talked about in some older threads but wanted to make sure. What is the consensus on what Modus 120 iron players are liking in their wedges (SW/LW), sticking with the Modus 120 or moving to the 105 wedge or 115 wedge series?

I'm have 115 wedge with my 120 S irons. Can't really say if I've fallen with love with them yet. Still getting used to the different feel. Maybe I'll try 125 or something else like kbs hi rev

What don't you like about them? I play 120x in 4-AW in my CF 16's and am thinking about getting new wedges. I was going to ask for rec's for a pairing with the 120x. I'm going with a 54*, which I imagine will be primarily full shots, and a 60* for bunkers/greenside stuff. I was thinking of going 125 wedge or 120X in the 54*, and 125 or 115 wedge in the 60*. Thoughts?

Callaway Paradym Triple 💎 10.5* Ventus Blue 6X/TR 6S
Titleist TSR2 16.5* (Set to 15.75*) Tour AD DI 7S
Titleist TSR2 18* Hybrid Tour AD IZ 85S
Titleist u505 4i (21*) Tour AD DI 95S

Srixon Zx7 MK II 5-PW, 51* AW - Modus 105S
Callaway Jaws 56*-Jaws Full Toe 60*-  DG 115 TI S200

Toulon Garage Custom Las Vegas H7 35”

What don't you like about them? I play 120x in 4-AW in my CF 16's and am thinking about getting new wedges. I was going to ask for rec's for a pairing with the 120x. I'm going with a 54*, which I imagine will be primarily full shots, and a 60* for bunkers/greenside stuff. I was thinking of going 125 wedge or 120X in the 54*, and 125 or 115 wedge in the 60*. Thoughts?

Got this weird kick feeling to it. Doesn't feel stable like the 120S and 125S irons shafts.

Taylormade Stealth 2 5W

Taylormade Spider Putter

Hey Mark and Co.,

19deg launch

5800 spin

170 carry

Same here except my spin is even higher with the 120s.

I've heard to strengthen the loft on the irons might be the solution.

Also I know this has probably been answered already but would a 105x give me the about the same characteristics as a 120s? Reason I ask is I thought about going lighter but I don't want higher launch or higher spin.

I wish I had a clear answer but shafts are so individual. I've played every shaft out. 97mph 6i 190 carry, play the HZRDUS Yellow in my driver and the 105x's fit me perfectly. Actually brought launch and spin down from x100's. For me the have the same launch and spin along the lines of a PX or C Taper but much better feel. I have a very late release, almost too much "lag". Long swing not a hard transition but pull very hard down with hands. 105x may fit you, or it may not. They are hard to find in fitting carts except for mizuno so even though it may not be in the head you want at least you could hit the same head with all different shaft options. Mizuno seems to have the most available.

Callaway Paradym TD 8*/HZRDUS GEN4 Black Limited Edition 60TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Does anyone know where you can get the limited blue Modus wedge shaft? It was supposed to be released today but I can't find it anywhere.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Does anyone know where you can get the limited blue Modus wedge shaft? It was supposed to be released today but I can't find it anywhere.

You will have to find a shop to install it for you. The Blue Modus Wedge is an install only shaft. But hurry. Last year was the Black Modus Wedge, and it was sold out in a few days.

3step

Hey Mark. Quick question ... what was the prototype to the 120 called? Is there any difference between the prototype and the actual released shaft? Thanks!

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I am looking for a new set of clubs and a Apex combo is the choice , the shaft is the problem.

I test a few shafts and so far the KBS tour is the one that I liked.

I am going to test the Nippon modus 3 105 and also the C taper lite .

What can I expect from the Nippon?

I live in the Netherlands so it is hard to test many different shafts

Okay need some help. I'm currently playing C Taper 120s which I love the dispersion of. Those of you who have transitioned to the Modus 120s, what flex did you go to, and did you suffer any dispersion issues?

Tried some C Taper Lites in stiff and dispersion suffered ... a lot. Make more consistent contact with the heavier shaft. Interested in the modus 120s.

Moderate tempo, moderate to strong transition, earlyish release with 88-92 range SS with 6 iron.

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Okay need some help. I'm currently playing C Taper 120s which I love the dispersion of. Those of you who have transitioned to the Modus 120s, what flex did you go to, and did you suffer any dispersion issues?

Tried some C Taper Lites in stiff and dispersion suffered ... a lot. Make more consistent contact with the heavier shaft. Interested in the modus 120s.

Moderate tempo, moderate to strong transition, earlyish release with 88-92 range SS with 6 iron.

I have some Modus 130 and they are nice.

If I'm being honest, I'd say that you should stick with your 120 Ctapers. The grass isn't always greener and you seem happy. I seem to struggle to find anything that beats the tapers. If they work for you, there may not be anything better.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

I have some Modus 130 and they are nice.

If I'm being honest, I'd say that you should stick with your 120 Ctapers. The grass isn't always greener and you seem happy. I seem to struggle to find anything that beats the tapers. If they work for you, there may not be anything better.

CT 120s are in a set of J40s. CTL are in a new to me set of 545s. Went and had lie angles checked this afternoon and lie was way too flat on the 545s, which I'm guessing had a big part in my dispersion issues (was losing a lot right). Really prefer the weight and ability to load the CTL over the CT. May just stick with the CTL or try to find a 105x to demo. I wish Nippon would hurry up with a 115 that plays like the 130.

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

I am really starting to get used to the new irons/shafts, very smooth, have had absolutely 0 pain issues in wrists elbows so far this season.

76-74 over the weekend, GIR % is coming back up after a shaky start to the season, also fantastic in the wedges.

TSR4 Ventus Red
TSi3 3w AD DI7
TSi3 5w AD DI7
TSR2 7w AD DI7

TSR3 24 AV Blue X-Link 75
T100s 6-G PX LZ
SM9 52/12/F-56/10/S TI S200 
Scotty Phantom 5.5
ProV1x

The Modus 120s is 114g uncut, so it's closer in weight to the ctaper lites (110g) than the ctapers (120g). If you like a heavier shaft, perhaps try the Modus 125s?

The Modus 120s is 114g uncut, so it's closer in weight to the ctaper lites (110g) than the ctapers (120g). If you like a heavier shaft, perhaps try the Modus 125s?

Was looking at getting a set of 120x to soft step.

Like the distribution of the CT, but I don't feel like I load the shaft at all. Should probably be playing them soft stepped as is.

Prefer the feel of the CTL, but they are a little lighter than I think I need.

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Hey Mark. Quick question ... what was the prototype to the 120 called? Is there any difference between the prototype and the actual released shaft? Thanks!

120 Proto was called the DP meaning "Dual Performance" I believe. I want to say I remember hearing the raw shaft was slightly different but when you butt cut them to length it was identical. Something about a slightly longer butt section but when you cut it it was basically identical.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter