2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

I have the 130's in my cf16 Apex and like the way they perform, no stepping at all 5-gap. I just ordered the i200 ping with 105 S 5-pw and 3 glide 2.0 wedges no stepping. Was thinking X flex but after reading about the 105X flex and how tour players loved them, I opted for S flex cause anytime I've had a set of irons or woods and a scratch golfer had same club but there's were X I asked to hit and they weren't good fit for me and I hit a 9 160. When they get here in couple weeks I hope they work out. On a side note does anyone know when ping charges $20 for say a lead edge grind on a set of irons is that for set or club?

If you hit a 9 iron 160 yards then you probably should have gone with an X-Flex. The 105 plays on the lighter side.

I actually need to correct myself but I can hit the nine iron 160 but I use that nine as my 145 club as I don't really try to step on my clubs the full extent I apologize for that. If I use my 7-iron as a baseline i use my 7-iron as my 170 club and go 10 yards up or down from there on my other clubs so 160 for the eight iron and so on sorry guys I still think the stiff will be good because I still want to go hit it a little higher

Im coming off of a nice break from elbow surgery and am loving the 130's. I haven't gotten out on the course yet but these are smooth and have been easy to transition to so far from range practice. So smooth

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

What is the difference between 105, 120 and 125? I've only played the 125x and enjoyed it but looking for a lighter shaft with the same stability in the wind.

To tell you the truth I play the 130s with a stiff shaft no hard or soft stepping and supposedly they're the highest hitting shaft I think they come in at about 115 g wise so anything below the 130 is going to be lower launching and lighter is all I can say, I was thinking about X flex in the 105 but seeing that tour players are hitting it with stiff it should work out just fine I'm going to quarter inch longer as well but I don't have them yet

What is the difference between 105, 120 and 125? I've only played the 125x and enjoyed it but looking for a lighter shaft with the same stability in the wind.

To tell you the truth I play the 130s with a stiff shaft no hard or soft stepping and supposedly they're the highest hitting shaft I think they come in at about 115 g wise so anything below the 130 is going to be lower launching and lighter is all I can say, I was thinking about X flex in the 105 but seeing that tour players are hitting it with stiff it should work out just fine I'm going to quarter inch longer as well but I don't have them yet

The 130s comes in at about 124g and are a higher launching shaft.

The weight decreases from the 125 to the 120 to the 105. They are all considered mid-launch shafts.

The 120 ballooned on me so it may not be a good option for wind stability; but that's for my swing.

I have no experience with the 105.

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

So, I wanted to try the Nippon so I got one of my new Clevelands with a Nippon wedge shaft. Really liked it for short game shots, but on full shots it was 15-20 yards short. Had a DG wedge shaft put in it and instantly got the yards back. Anyone else have similar problems with Nippon?

I'm using the 125x wedge shafts and haven't noticed any distance loss.

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

The weight decreases from the 125 to the 120 to the 105. They are all considered mid-launch shafts.

The 120 ballooned on me so it may not be a good option for wind stability; but that's for my swing.

As you can see in the chart above, the 125 is heavier than the 130.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 6X

PXG Gen 5 0311 15* - Aldila Tour Blue 75X

PXG  Gen 5 0311 19* - Aldila Tour Blue 85X

PXG 0311T Gen 5 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

As you can see in the chart above, the 125 is heavier than the 130.

You are right but it's completely different profile compared to the rest of the 125, 130, 105 shafts.

Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

Try the 105, supposed be the same profile as 125...for me, the 105 holds up nicely through the wind. I went from 125s in 714 AP2's to 105s in Ping i e1's....these 105's are going to be sticking around awhile.

Try the 105, supposed be the same profile as 125...for me, the 105 holds up nicely through the wind. I went from 125s in 714 AP2's to 105s in Ping i e1's....these 105's are going to be sticking around awhile.

Thanks a lot! Do you think that the light weight hurts your tempo or consistency at all?

Thanks a lot! Do you think that the light weight hurts your tempo or consistency at all?

For me, no...but I was looking to go lighter because of the realization that I am not getting any younger. I went from DGS300's to the 125 to the 105.

If anything, I don't feel as if I have to overswing an iron anymore...but when I need to step on one, these 105's are stable enough to hold their own.

FWIW, I believe Bill Haas is gaming the 105x's now...coming from X100's (if I recall correctly)

For me, no...but I was looking to go lighter because of the realization that I am not getting any younger. I went from DGS300's to the 125 to the 105.

If anything, I don't feel as if I have to overswing an iron anymore...but when I need to step on one, these 105's are stable enough to hold their own.

FWIW, I believe Bill Haas is gaming the 105x's now...coming from X100's (if I recall correctly)

That's awesome to hear, I'm actually making the exact same jump, from S300's to 125X to the 105X. Really appreciate the help, I'll try to hit the 105x against some competitors (PX 6.5, C-T X, etc) and let you know what I find.

Hi Mark & Co. still going strong with my 125 Tour Stiff. Added Bridgestone Balls to my Bag and our local 30 mph wind has suddenly transformed into a light breeze :rofl:

I added a TMB 3 iron as well. I must say that is performing like night and day from stock AMT to 125 Tour.... Perfecto

Question: Which driver shaft profile / model would you pair with 125 tours stiff ? (butt stiff / tip stiff / softer mid ) ? Thanks

Cobra Fly Z +
Ping G25 3 wood
Titleist TMB 3 iron
Titleist AP2 710 4-PW
Odyssey 9 X Milled Versa

fujikura pro 60 S
fujikura pro 70 S
modus 125 S

So, I wanted to try the Nippon so I got one of my new Clevelands with a Nippon wedge shaft. Really liked it for short game shots, but on full shots it was 15-20 yards short. Had a DG wedge shaft put in it and instantly got the yards back. Anyone else have similar problems with Nippon?

I had that exact problem with the wedge specific shafts. Put the iron shafts in and it should clear up the issue. I've been thinking of putting the130's in my wedges but haven't gotten around to it yet

Tsr 3

Epic Flash 3w

Covert 5W

T100 4-P

MG3 52*

MG4 56* 

SM8 60* 

Oworks Tank Armlock

Z Star XV

I've got 6 or so rounds with the 125X and I'm so glad that I did. I definitely picked up a few yards with the shaft, but it's very stable and smooth for an X. I'm able to flight the ball low if needed and get the 4/5 irons into the air quite nicely.

I'm curious to try the 130S/X though. That might have to wait for next year.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

I was worried a little going from DG s300 in my JPX 850 forged to 130S in my Apex but loving them, now waiting on I200 ping with 105S & guess won't be too lite, leader in the players today gaming the 105S thanks for all replies guys

I've got 6 or so rounds with the 125X and I'm so glad that I did. I definitely picked up a few yards with the shaft, but it's very stable and smooth for an X. I'm able to flight the ball low if needed and get the 4/5 irons into the air quite nicely.

Did you get the 125x with your Mizuno JPX900s at no charge?

Question: I have a set of nippon pro modus prototypes 5-pw from Japan I purchased off a club pro. Info given was they share the same profile as the 105's. They feel great except coming from s300's they feel quite whippy. So I was at the range and after 120 balls I had well over 10 hosel balls. If my memory serves me correct i don't believe in my 7 years of golf I have ever hit a ball off the hosel, let alone 10% of my swings. Would this be a torque issue???

R510tp speeder 757tp
vsteel 3w t/s graphite design purple ice
vsteel 7w tour ad-mt
wilson fg59 dgpro R300 4-pw
vokey oil can 52/56/60 nippon super peening orange
scotty cameron circa 62 no.1

Did you get the 125x with your Mizuno JPX900s at no charge?

No, I bought the heads and the shafts separately and put it all together. I have a thread about my club build if you want to check it out.

Titleist TSR3 8° Tensei Pro Orange 1K 60TX
Taylormade SIM Ti 5W 19° Tensei Pro White 70 TX
Taylormade SIM Tour Issue 19° 5W Diamana BF 80 TX
Mizuno JPX 921 Tours w/ Mitsubishi MMT TX125
Taylormade MG3 50.9/56.12 (TW)/60.11 (TW) w/ Mitsubishi MMT S125

Scotty Cameron Craftsman Squareback Proto 33.5"

Question: I have a set of nippon pro modus prototypes 5-pw from Japan I purchased off a club pro. Info given was they share the same profile as the 105's. They feel great except coming from s300's they feel quite whippy. So I was at the range and after 120 balls I had well over 10 hosel balls. If my memory serves me correct i don't believe in my 7 years of golf I have ever hit a ball off the hosel, let alone 10% of my swings. Would this be a torque issue???

Possibly just a shaft profile issue but I'm not expert. But I do know if I were you I'd get rid of them. Hosel rockets are a dangerous thought to have in your swing,,

917D3 8.5 Oban Kiyoshi Tour Ltd 60-04
915F 15 Speeder Evo 661S Blue
716 T-MB 2 Project X LZ 6.0
716 T-MB 4 Modus3 125S
714 AP2 Modus3 125S
SC Buttonback Newport 34"
TVD M 50/54
TVD V 60

Possibly just a shaft profile issue but I'm not expert. But I do know if I were you I'd get rid of them. Hosel rockets are a dangerous thought to have in your swing,,

They are certainly dangerous lol. They're going to a friend's for a trial from another decent golfer. Hope he has the same issue for my sake but they'll be sold soon enough!

R510tp speeder 757tp
vsteel 7w tour ad-mt

Had that issue with a shaft recently that had a different profile than what I was used to. Everything was close to the heel. Probably could have figured it out with some patience, but just wasn't worth the time when I know another profile works.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Same exact thing happened to me with the Modus 120 Stiff shafts.

In (2) different sets of irons.

The 120 profile is definitely unique.

I have Modus 130s in my main set now.

Same exact thing happened to me with the Modus 120 Stiff shafts.

In (2) different sets of irons.

The 120 profile is definitely unique.

I have Modus 130s in my main set now.

Good to hear u got the 130s working for ya and that someone has had a similar experience. If I ripped at it (88mph 6i) I would immediately hit it close or off the hosel. I was baffled but I did sell them last night. So i guess its short term pain for long term gain.

R510tp speeder 757tp
vsteel 7w tour ad-mt

That's awesome to hear, I'm actually making the exact same jump, from S300's to 125X to the 105X. Really appreciate the help, I'll try to hit the 105x against some competitors (PX 6.5, C-T X, etc) and let you know what I find.

I just made the switch from s300 to 105x and I will never game another shaft. These things are so smooth and for a guy with a short and fast transition I have no fear of going all out on a swing. I might also add that even though I changed heads (from GI iron to players cavity) I have gained almost 5 yards on all irons.

I absolutely love the trajectory of these shafts and have found that I am getting more spin on the shorter irons too. I also believe my dispersion has gotten better as well. Pretty much a better fit for me all around. I thought s300 was golden for me too haha....

What is the most comparable shaft that is similar to the C10 prototypes in X flex?

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x

What is the most comparable shaft that is similar to the C10 prototypes in X flex?

Dynamic gold x7. But the c10s are heavier.

Thanks, that's what I thought.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x