It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Btw, i never mentioned that the iblades are brand new to me. I had only played one round with them prior to putting the modus 125X in them. So alot of my experience could be related to the head itself.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

So I've been gaming the 120X in my Apex Pro's for 3 months now and the jury is still out. Went with X b/c of the very soft butt (always played Stiff previously - KBS Tour last year; PX 6.0 before that). I'm an assistant pro and I like to work the ball, but I have a hard time getting these to cut. The miss starts left and draws. Strangely, dispersion is better in the long irons than the short irons. I have a forceful transition, and feel like I might be over-loading them when I swing all out (6 iron swing speed is 88, mid release, quick tempo). As has been reiterated by multiple people throughout this thread, my mishits creep heelward; scarily close to the hosel. Yesterday I had some time to kill at the range, so I tested lie angles on the PW, 8 iron, and 6 iron using both a lie board and a sharpie line (separately). I do all of the club fittings at the club, but I am pretty baffled by the results. I started with the 8 iron, and it was apparent that the heel was catching the board first (indicating they are too upright - which is what I suspected given the ball flight I've been fighting). However, the sharpie line was angled slightly up towards the heel (indicating the lie is too flat!?) With the miss currently being a pull, the last thing I want to do is make them more upright. I then moved to the PW, where contact with the board was more square, but sharpie lines were again angled slightly toward the heel. The 6 iron had by far the most neutral results, with sole grounding out dead center, and sharpie lines pointed straight up and down. Obviously no alteration is needed there, but I am trying to figure out what to do with the short/mid irons (set is currently standard/standard). Any insight/advice/recommendations would be much appreciated. I've attached a picture of the test results.

I've wondered about the stiff tip in the 120s and how it impacts toe droop. Does the stiff tip reduce it? If so, this could lead to pulls all else equal for someone's swing. I did order my Srixon's 1 degree flat, partly due to them coming 1/2 degree more upright vs what I was playing.

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Srixon  ZX 5 MKii 4-7 irons  ZX7 MKii  8-PW PX LZ 6.0 black

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 50, 54, 60

Spider Tour CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

Ok, so eating crow. Second round in with the modus 125X and shot one under. 4 under for two rounds is a personal best, so i'm thinking the modus will remain in the bag for the foreseeable future. Hit some awesome shots today (was 3 under through 5). When i give the shafts the business, the ball flights are a bit high but my distances have been spot on.

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

Ok, so eating crow. Second round in with the modus 125X and shot one under. 4 under for two rounds is a personal best, so i'm thinking the modus will remain in the bag for the foreseeable future. Hit some awesome shots today (was 3 under through 5). When i give the shafts the business, the ball flights are a bit high but my distances have been spot on.

Got me thinking about reinstalling my 125s.

Got some Apex pro heads that I'm thinking of going with either Fuji pro, 125/130, $taper or some i95 pulls.

@therealping

I have not tried KBS tours in a long time, but from recollection...i would not compare them to the modus 130 shafts. Just me maybe...

I know this has been discussed numerous times within this thread, but wouldn't the modus 130 be a direct comparison to the kbs tour?

Especially considering the soft tip and counterbalanced characteristics. There just seems to be a misconception of which shafts parallel other OEM shafts.

I have heard the Modus 125 compared to KBS Tours but lower spin/launch.

Taylormade M3 8.5* Driver
Callaway Apex 20* Hybrid
Taylormade UDI 2-Iron
Taylormade P760 4-AW w/ PX 6.5
Cleveland RTX-3 55*/60*
Scotty Cameron Pro Platinum Newport Mil-Spec

I know this has been discussed numerous times within this thread, but wouldn't the modus 130 be a direct comparison to the kbs tour?

Especially considering the soft tip and counterbalanced characteristics. There just seems to be a misconception of which shafts parallel other OEM shafts.

I have heard the Modus 125 compared to KBS Tours but lower spin/launch.

From my experience thus far, i would say that sounds spot on.

I'm about 3 months in with my i200s with Modus 105 X. My previous set which I really love are S55s with Recoil 110s. I live in NJ but also keep a set in FL, so I sent the S55s South to replace my old i3 blades.

The 105s seem to be ideal for me. I really like how responsive they are on 1/2 and 3/4 swings, yet they're super stable on very hard and aggressive swings. The feel is excellent and I can flight the ball down without a problem. Not sure if its the shaft or the slightly stronger lofts of the i200 vs. S55s, but I've gained a bit more than half a club in distance without a discernable change in trajectory.

I started the season as a 4.2 index partly due to some injuries, but now I'm down to a 1.4 and dropping, my 2 most recent tournament scores being 69 & 68. These shafts are easy to swing, feel great, and have the performance to match.

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

How does the 130x compared to the 125x? I played the 125x for a while and enjoyed the feel and control of it. I have a pretty quick transition and want to get a lower flight with similar spin characteristics. Thanks modus gurus.

I don't think the 130 will give you what you're looking for. It's a higher launch shaft. It also plays pretty stiff, you may need to drop down to stiff from the 125x (emphasis on "may") if you decide to try it.

I built myself a demo with the 130 in an 8 iron and almost immediately dismissed it as an option. Entirely too high trajectory, cartoonish, even.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

How does the 130x compared to the 125x? I played the 125x for a while and enjoyed the feel and control of it. I have a pretty quick transition and want to get a lower flight with similar spin characteristics. Thanks modus gurus.

I don't think the 130 will give you what you're looking for. It's a higher launch shaft. It also plays pretty stiff, you may need to drop down to stiff from the 125x (emphasis on "may") if you decide to try it.

I built myself a demo with the 130 in an 8 iron and almost immediately dismissed it as an option. Entirely too high trajectory, cartoonish, even.

Thanks for the reply. I'm only able to hit the 125s/105x/105s at the srixon demo cart at the moment so I was curious. Which model do you think would be most ideal? As I mentioned, I have a quick tempo/aggressive transition and looking to get rid of my balloon shots. (92-94 ss with a 6 iron)

In the Nippon world, I think fuji's 120tx suggestion would be the best choice. Such as it seems to me anyway.

edited to add: The only possibility that comes to mind would possibly be the Super Peening Blue. It's a bit heavier than any of the Modus line, which could help with the fast tempo and transition. The EI profile of the 125 is said to be nearly identical to the SPB, I don't know if anyone has compared performance directly to see if they line up as the shaft profiles do.

The problem with SPB, they're getting harder to find. Have heard reports of them being discontinued, but have also heard that refuted.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

after trying some nippons its hard to want to go back to anything else.

in the past there offerings weren't diverse enough to answer the needs of the golfer

wanting a lower penetrating ball flight. now there menu has expanded there is something

for every golfer.

on the feel aspect alone nspro blows everyone out of the water.

Epon EF-02D Diamana x17 6s

Epon AF-256 #3 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-256 #5 Diamana x12 7s

Epon AF-906 23 Tensei Ck pw hb90

Epon AF-506 #5-aw Tensei AM2Ws

Epon Tour wedge M56 DG spinner

Tad Moore handmade blade 

I am currently playing PX 6.0 flighted ssx1, new clubs I want don't offer this shaft. Which Nippon would be similar? I like the sturdy feel of the PX but growing tired of the boardy feel..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

I've now tried the 120, 130 and 125 modus. To be honest, I'm not quite sure how these shafts can be compared to others, as they are kinda unique in and of themselves. Here is what I've found, albeit with fairly limited experience:

120X: Played 9 holes with this shaft and all I recall is that the tips felt quite stiff and the release down through the ball was a bit odd for me. Ball flight was fairly high, but flat and I seemed to block the ball right a fair amount. Not a lot more experience beyond my 9 holes.

130S: VERY heavy in your hands and oddly boardy throughout the swing except for right through the impact zone. I found these shafts to be insanely smooth through the impact zone, but the complete opposite outside of the impact zone. Ball flight was fine for me in terms of height and appearance, but I think I was overspinning them and lost a fair amount of distance over my Ctapers. These shafts don't like when you release early and I found them challenging to hit "shots" with. I also had these in my wedges and they are EXTREMELY WEIRD in wedges. I found them to be literally too soft when hitting pitches/chips and I could hardly feel the ball come off the face (have them in TM MG wedges). Also, the counterbalancing of the shafts made timing very difficult for me. I only hit them well in my wedges when I setup for a small fade. If I tried turning them over, my timing was very off.

125X: As other have described, this one is in the middle. I guess they are comparable to DG shafts, but with a higher ball flight. Distance doesn't appear to suffer for me though. I have the X, soft stepped once and they are not nearly as smooth through the hitting zone as the 130s (in my opinion). They seem to react well to slow and hard swings though, which I really enjoy. Pitching and chipping is also much improved for me compared to the 130 shafts. I can feel the ball hit the face of the club and I think they go nicely in the wedges.

Just my quick thoughts...

I'm not sure how any of these could be compared to PX shafts, but I would guess the 125 would be the way to go maybe? Dunno....

Amazing info! Thanks for putting that together.

Have you checked out the Ctapers? They are very similar to PX only with a bit smoother feel....according to my own experience. Ymmv i suppose.

Amazing info! Thanks for putting that together.

Have you checked out the Ctapers? They are very similar to PX only with a bit smoother feel....according to my own experience. Ymmv i suppose.

I have not... Will do..

Honma TR20 Vizard RED S

Callaway Fusion 3 Wood Recoil S

PXG 6-Gap TT Elevate S

Vokey SM8 50, 54, 58

Scotty Phantom X 5.5

Would the 130X bring ball flight down relative to X100?

[color=#ff0000][b]Driver: [/b][/color]Callaway GBB 9.5* (Project X HZRDUS Black 76g 6.5X)
[color=#ff0000][b]Hybrid: [/b][/color]Taylormade RBZ 19* (Fujikura Speeder TS H9.8)
[color=#ff0000][b]Irons: [/b][/color] Callaway Apex'14 4-PW (DG X100)
[color=#ff0000][b]Wedges: [/b][/color]Nike SV Tour (DG S400)
[color=#ff0000][b]Putter: [/b][/color]Odyssey Tank Cruiser #7
[b][color=#ff0000]Balls: [/color][/b]Srixon ZstarXV

120 tx ^^^^

In the Nippon world, I think fuji's 120tx suggestion would be the best choice. Such as it seems to me anyway.

edited to add: The only possibility that comes to mind would possibly be the Super Peening Blue. It's a bit heavier than any of the Modus line, which could help with the fast tempo and transition. The EI profile of the 125 is said to be nearly identical to the SPB, I don't know if anyone has compared performance directly to see if they line up as the shaft profiles do.

The problem with SPB, they're getting harder to find. Have heard reports of them being discontinued, but have also heard that refuted.

Thank you guys. The SPB is an interesting idea but I'm hesitant to buy before trying . I hit the 105X, 120S, 125S, 130S on a demo Srixon z965 6 iron head today.

SS was between 94-100 mph, launch 18-21*, peak height at 40-45 yards.

I loved the lighter weight and balance of 105x/120s but hit them at more than 45 yards apex. I realize this is my swing mostly but I don't know if the 120TX will bring down the height to a reasonable range. The 125s and 130s were both much lower in height. The 125s spun less and launched a bit higher at around 20* whereas the 130S launched lower at 18-19* and spun couple hundred RPM's more. (They both peaked at 42 yards exactly) The 125 certainly felt better, although not as smooth as the 120. However, I did not feel comfortable the heavier swing weight and balance point in my hands after swinging 100+ mph with the lighter shafts.

Even after the demo session, I'm lost. I could blindly order the 120 in TX, hoping that it will be much lower in apex/traj compared to the Stiff ...Or I could go with the 125X route which I felt that I had to slow down and couldn't put my normal tempo swing on it. It looks like I will have to do some more research.

120 tx ^^^^

Thank you guys. The SPB is an interesting idea but I'm hesitant to buy before trying . I hit the 105X, 120S, 125S, 130S on a demo Srixon z965 6 iron head today.

SS was between 94-100 mph, launch 18-21*, peak height at 40-45 yards.

I loved the lighter weight and balance of 105x/120s but hit them at more than 45 yards apex. I realize this is my swing mostly but I don't know if the 120TX will bring down the height to a reasonable range. The 125s and 130s were both much lower in height. The 125s spun less and launched a bit higher at around 20* whereas the 130S launched lower at 18-19* and spun couple hundred RPM's more. (They both peaked at 42 yards exactly) The 125 certainly felt better, although not as smooth as the 120. However, I did not feel comfortable the heavier swing weight and balance point in my hands after swinging 100+ mph with the lighter shafts.

Even after the demo session, I'm lost. I could blindly order the 120 in TX, hoping that it will be much lower in apex/traj compared to the Stiff ...Or I could go with the 125X route which I felt that I had to slow down and couldn't put my normal tempo swing on it. It looks like I will have to do some more research.

Do more research. I would highly recommend you try them all multiple time before buying. Also, see if there is a way to hit say a PW in them, so you can see how a shorter iron feels and flights. You may find that it helps make your decision much more clear.

Would the 130X bring ball flight down relative to X100?

Prob not. My guess is X100 would flight lower. Everyone has a bit different swing though, so hard to say what your results would be.

Little help on shaft and flex on the Modus 3. I have done well with PX5.5 and S400 (little heavy) and love the DI, Blueboard and NV in wood shafts. S300 I hit too high, poor dispersion and a lot of spin. X100 is about right traj wise, dispersion good, but I don't load them and are a touch heavy (same for PX 6.0 except the weight bit)

I play my irons 3/4" over Titleist MB standard lengths.

Based on what I have read, I am assuming 120 stiff, straight in, would work, but wonder if playing them over length by 3/4" would suggest a stiffer flex.

Any ideas?

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

Little help on shaft and flex on the Modus 3. I have done well with PX5.5 and S400 (little heavy) and love the DI, Blueboard and NV in wood shafts. S300 I hit too high, poor dispersion and a lot of spin. X100 is about right traj wise, dispersion good, but I don't load them and are a touch heavy (same for PX 6.0 except the weight bit)

I play my irons 3/4" over Titleist MB standard lengths.

Based on what I have read, I am assuming 120 stiff, straight in, would work, but wonder if playing them over length by 3/4" would suggest a stiffer flex.

Any ideas?

If you're using DGS already, 120X would be the way to go. The 120 feels, and maybe plays, softer than the same flex DG shaft.

Going overlength will not soften the shaft.