2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

Okay need some help. I'm currently playing C Taper 120s which I love the dispersion of. Those of you who have transitioned to the Modus 120s, what flex did you go to, and did you suffer any dispersion issues?

Tried some C Taper Lites in stiff and dispersion suffered ... a lot. Make more consistent contact with the heavier shaft. Interested in the modus 120s.

Moderate tempo, moderate to strong transition, earlyish release with 88-92 range SS with 6 iron.

Your swing characteristics are very similar to mine. I've been playing the C Taper S 120 for the past couple of years and really like them. I've got the Modus 120 X in my new sticks and really like how smooth they are. Ball flight is a touch high but no ballooning by any means. This is probably just from me playing the C Tapers for the past few years. They are two totally different shafts though IMO. The C taper is stout, good ball flight and not much feeling. The Modus 120 X is a great feeling shaft and performs very well too. It really comes down to what you want and what ball flight you like.

Okay need some help. I'm currently playing C Taper 120s which I love the dispersion of. Those of you who have transitioned to the Modus 120s, what flex did you go to, and did you suffer any dispersion issues?

Tried some C Taper Lites in stiff and dispersion suffered ... a lot. Make more consistent contact with the heavier shaft. Interested in the modus 120s.

Moderate tempo, moderate to strong transition, earlyish release with 88-92 range SS with 6 iron.

Your swing characteristics are very similar to mine. I've been playing the C Taper S 120 for the past couple of years and really like them. I've got the Modus 120 X in my new sticks and really like how smooth they are. Ball flight is a touch high but no ballooning by any means. This is probably just from me playing the C Tapers for the past few years. They are two totally different shafts though IMO. The C taper is stout, good ball flight and not much feeling. The Modus 120 X is a great feeling shaft and performs very well too. It really comes down to what you want and what ball flight you like.

Thanks for the input.

So if the CT felt really stout, would you suggest x straight in or soft stepped? I don't want to have to swing out of my shoes to get results. May plug one in as a soft step and see what I think. Can always move them to straight in and add an extension. I play +1/2 and found some prototype pulls that played standard for an awesome price. Even came with 2 125 wedge shafts.

Ping G425 Max 9*, Aldila Rogue White 70s

Titleist TS3 4 wood, Diamana Kal’li 70s

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Cleveland CBX2 54*, DG s400 TI

Callaway MD4 58*, DG s400 

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Does anyone know where you can get the limited blue Modus wedge shaft? It was supposed to be released today but I can't find it anywhere.

I would start with an authorized Nippon dealer which can be found on their website.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Thanks for the input.

So if the CT felt really stout, would you suggest x straight in or soft stepped? I don't want to have to swing out of my shoes to get results. May plug one in as a soft step and see what I think. Can always move them to straight in and add an extension. I play +1/2 and found some prototype pulls that played standard for an awesome price. Even came with 2 125 wedge shafts.

I'd go straight in with the Modus 120 X.....they are not harsh at all or even the first bit boardy. I believe some in this thread have mentioned they tend to play soft to their flex. I'm not a club builder or professional by any means, but this is just my opinion and info I've gathered here. Good Luck!

Just ordered some new sticks with modus 130 S. gonna try them in the wedges including a 62. Anyone tried 130 and the 125 wedge shafts? Also, anyone tried the 105 in a long/ driving iron compared to the 130?

previous page there are some posts on exactly this - i use the 130s and 125 and it's awesome

and i did have the 105s in a driving iron, but have moved to a ad-di 95 s for better launch to match off against the 130s more active tip

I have the 105 s in my i200s. Live them in the 4-7. Struggling with them in the 8-w. Hitting them left pretty consistently. Has anyone tried a ss1x x flex in their lower irons to add some weight? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Just ordered some new sticks with modus 130 S. gonna try them in the wedges including a 62. Anyone tried 130 and the 125 wedge shafts? Also, anyone tried the 105 in a long/ driving iron compared to the 130?

previous page there are some posts on exactly this - i use the 130s and 125 and it's awesome

and i did have the 105s in a driving iron, but have moved to a ad-di 95 s for better launch to match off against the 130s more active tip

I have the 130S in irons and went with a 105S in a UDI but it feels a but soft so I ended up getting a 105X. I haven't tried it out yet.

I use the 130 stiff in my mp5s. I also have the 125 wv wedge shafts in my wedges. Phenomenal pairing. Both have nice high flat flight,but can work them anyway I need. Really can't say anything bad about either the 130 or the 125 wedge shaft.

Just to clarify,the 125 wedge shafts I have are the pink label wedge specific shaft. Not the stock 125 tour modus.

I have a mp25-3iron. I use the tour ad di driving iron shaft. 95s. Works just fine along side the 130s.

I use the 130 stiff in my mp5s. I also have the 125 wv wedge shafts in my wedges. Phenomenal pairing. Both have nice high flat flight,but can work them anyway I need. Really can't say anything bad about either the 130 or the 125 wedge shaft.

Just to clarify,the 125 wedge shafts I have are the pink label wedge specific shaft. Not the stock 125 tour modus.

I have a mp25-3iron. I use the tour ad di driving iron shaft. 95s. Works just fine along side the 130s.

Nice. I was referring to the wedge specific. Was thinking I'd need an x in a lighter DI shaft to match up with the 130s. Do you use the AD DI in your woods too? Never hit it but sounds like it would pair nicely with the 130s.

Nice. I was referring to the wedge specific. Was thinking I'd need an x in a lighter DI shaft to match up with the 130s. Do you use the AD DI in your woods too? Never hit it but sounds like it would pair nicely with the 130s.

I have the hzrdus red 75 in my woods and the hzrdus yellow 65 in my driver. I only have the ad di driving iron shaft in my 3 iron. I did a lot of research and the ad di driving iron matched the specs of the 130s the best. Launch,spin, and stiffness. From my research,and just myself speaking,the ad di driving iron shaft also matches the shaft flex profile of the tour 130s. Mid stiff middle,and softer tip for launch.

Speaking flex of the ad di. I went stiff. I probably could handle a x,but I use my 3 iron as a hybrid replacement of sorts. My get out of trouble club mostly. I use it for lay ups on long par 5s, use it for long par 4s,and out of the rough. I want a softer flex to get the ball up. I don't need a bullet shot for what I use my 3 iron for. Just whatever your needs may be. If I went to an x in the ad di I'd get lower flight and more penetration. I can't hold greens with that.

Mark or anyone else knowledgeable,

I am enjoying the recommendation of the Modus 120 S for me in my irons. About my swing: driver ss maxes at 100 mph, smooth/early transition, picker/sweeper.

Quick question: would you recommend the Modus 120 R or Modus Wedge 105 for my GW/SW/LW. Gap wedge is for 3/4 shots, sand wedge 1/2-3/4 shots and out of bunkers, LW pretty much chipping around the greens and some half shots.

The specs on both look very similar on the Nippon site besides the balance point. I am currently playing DG TI S400 in my GW and SW and a DG Spinner in my LW.

Any help is appreciated.

I am enjoying the recommendation of the Modus 120 S for me in my irons. About my swing: driver ss maxes at 100 mph, smooth/early transition, picker/sweeper.

Quick question: would you recommend the Modus 120 R or Modus Wedge 105 for my GW/SW/LW. Gap wedge is for 3/4 shots, sand wedge 1/2-3/4 shots and out of bunkers, LW pretty much chipping around the greens and some half shots.

The specs on both look very similar on the Nippon site besides the balance point. I am currently playing DG TI S400 in my GW and SW and a DG Spinner in my LW.

Any help is appreciated.

120 if you're looking for lower spin and a bit more roll out. So maybe GW/SW. Modus Wedge if you want a little more bite so maybe SW/LW. The 120 will feel familiar to your shafts and the DGS400 profile. Wedge 105 is a lot lighter and more crisp feeling. Maybe a Wedge 115 or 125 would still be ok. the 105 is more for like the Nippon 850/950 players IMO.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Any help is appreciated.

120 if you're looking for lower spin and a bit more roll out. So maybe GW/SW. Modus Wedge if you want a little more bite so maybe SW/LW. The 120 will feel familiar to your shafts and the DGS400 profile. Wedge 105 is a lot lighter and more crisp feeling. Maybe a Wedge 115 or 125 would still be ok. the 105 is more for like the Nippon 850/950 players IMO.

Makes sense, I know the "general" recommendation for wedges is to go a flex weaker/lighter than irons so that's why I was thinking 120R or 105 wedge. Thanks for the help as always!

Mark,

What is a shaft that is most comparable to the C10 prototypes in X? Regardless of manufacturer, TT X7s?

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0° • MCA Diamana ZF 60TX
Titleist TS3 15.0° • MCA Diamana D+ 80X
Titleist 818H2 19° • Accra FX 300H M4, Tipped 1"
Callaway Apex Pro19 (4-Pw) • PX 6.0
Callaway MD5 • 50.10S, 54.10S, 59.09C • PX 6.0
SIK Pro C 33” • Titleist Left Dash ProV1x

Got the 120x installed. Soft stepped them once. Definitely a unique shaft. Seems to suit a smooth tempo and less aggressive transition. Definitely lowered my launch over the C Tapers I had installed. Based on my swing profile, the 130s (which I loved the feel of) is probably what would be suggested, but I hit everything high and can have some ballooning issues in the Texas wind, so these are going to do the trick I think. Tried the 125s briefly and hit everything left.

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

My 5-PW 120x were installed as well. Got a good range session with them last night and could really tell the differences in feel as I still have the S300 in my 3 and 4 irons. Of course the 120x feel a little head heavier than my previous shafts, but really lighten up while I'm swinging them.

Although totally unconfirmed, looks like my launch came down a little as well as distance up a touch. As people have described, there really is no "kick" at impact with these shafts. They feel very smooth and there is more feeling In the tip of the shaft to me when struck. Compared to the S300 where you could really feel a kick, these have none.

I have the 105 s in my i200s. Live them in the 4-7. Struggling with them in the 8-w. Hitting them left pretty consistently. Has anyone tried a ss1x x flex in their lower irons to add some weight? Any other suggestions would be welcome.

I did this with my pw and gap wedge. I love it. I soft stepped x twice. Now I have good weight flow from 106 grams in 5-9, 112 grams in pw-gw, then 120 grams in sw-lw.

Titleist TSi3 10° - Diamana R Series 60

Cobra Rad 14.5° - Diamana BlueForce 70

Cobra F9 18.5° - Diamana BlueForce 80
Taylormade P790 (4-9) - Nippon Modus 105
Vokey 46F 50F 54S 58T - Nippon Modus 115
Scotty Cameron Squareback 2 

Just came back to report on how the 120-S is performing in my wedges.

My iron shaft is a 105-X and the 120-S matches up perfectly in terms of weight. The 120 feels great in the wedges. The 120 keeps the ball flight down on full shots with my 50/54 and short chips around the green with my 58 feel really good. I honestly didn't think I'd feel that much of a difference around the green on short chips/flops but I do. My chipping/flopping has improved immensely. Wish I could say the same about my putting.

My iron shaft is a 105-X and the 120-S matches up perfectly in terms of weight. The 120 feels great in the wedges. The 120 keeps the ball flight down on full shots with my 50/54 and short chips around the green with my 58 feel really good. I honestly didn't think I'd feel that much of a difference around the green on short chips/flops but I do. My chipping/flopping has improved immensely. Wish I could say the same about my putting.

My new Vokeys with 120s turned up this week. I agree that they blend seamlessly with my 900 Forged/Tour 105x combo in terms of weight and feel. My previous Vokeys had the standard S200 in them. First impressions were that I like the 120s better around the green and that full shots were a wash. Hope to hit them some more this weekend - I'll grab some photos too and add them to my WITB.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

My new Vokeys with 120s turned up this week. I agree that they blend seamlessly with my 900 Forged/Tour 105x combo in terms of weight and feel. My previous Vokeys had the standard S200 in them. First impressions were that I like the 120s better around the green and that full shots were a wash. Hope to hit them some more this weekend - I'll grab some photos too and add them to my WITB.

Nice. I have them in SM6 Vokeys as well. What lofts/grinds did you end up with? I went 50F, 54S and 58K.

Ha - exactly the same, except I have 60K instead of your 58K.

Ping 430 LST 10.5, Ping Tour 2.0 Chrome 65X
Ping 425 17, 19 & 22 deg hybrids,  Ping Tour 85X
Mizuno 923 Hot Metal Pro, 5-GW, DG 105 
Mizuno S23 54 deg wedge

Vokey SM6 60 K wedge
Mizuno IOMI #3 putter

Titleist ProV1x 

Vessel Lux Lite Bag

120x prototypes are going to be going up on BST soon. Not for me. Going back to something more butt stiff with a softer tip.

New Level 902 PD, PX 6.5

Mizuno S18 50*, PX 6.5

Odyssey White Hot OG 7CH

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I recently got a set of P770 w/ Modus 130s. I currently play TIS400 in my wedges, 50, 54, 58. What shafts would best compliment the 130s? Should I go 130s all the way through or try one of the modus wedge shafts? Thanks in advance.

Mavrik Sub Zero 9* Rogue White 60
Mavrik Sub Zero 15* Rogue White 70
Srixon Z785 4-6 ZForged 7-W Project X LZ
Cleveland RTX-4 50, 54, 58 Tour Issue S400
Taylormade Spider Tour Black 
Titleist ProV1x

First round with my 125's and really enjoyed them. Super smooth, good feedback and stood up well in the 20-25 mph wind. Was able to control trajectory which helped. No pain so no issues which is more than I could say about my previous px shaft.

It's going to be a good summer!

Titleist 910 D3 7.5* w/ GD AD DI 6 stiff
Titleist 915 FD 15* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Titleist 910 F 19* w/ Fujikura Rombax P95 stiff
Mizuno MP 15 4-PW w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM5 52* F w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey TVD 56* w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Titleist Vokey SM6 60* S w/ Modus 3 Tour 125X ssx1
Piretti Matera Rev 2.0

I have the 130's in my cf16 Apex and like the way they perform, no stepping at all 5-gap. I just ordered the i200 ping with 105 S 5-pw and 3 glide 2.0 wedges no stepping. Was thinking X flex but after reading about the 105X flex and how tour players loved them, I opted for S flex cause anytime I've had a set of irons or woods and a scratch golfer had same club but there's were X I asked to hit and they weren't good fit for me and I hit a 9 160. When they get here in couple weeks I hope they work out. On a side note does anyone know when ping charges $20 for say a lead edge grind on a set of irons is that for set or club?

I have the 130's in my cf16 Apex and like the way they perform, no stepping at all 5-gap. I just ordered the i200 ping with 105 S 5-pw and 3 glide 2.0 wedges no stepping. Was thinking X flex but after reading about the 105X flex and how tour players loved them, I opted for S flex cause anytime I've had a set of irons or woods and a scratch golfer had same club but there's were X I asked to hit and they weren't good fit for me and I hit a 9 160. When they get here in couple weeks I hope they work out. On a side note does anyone know when ping charges $20 for say a lead edge grind on a set of irons is that for set or club?

Will McGirt, a PGA touring pro, plays 105 in stiff, so this shaft in stiff can hang with a tour level swing.

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I recently got a set of P770 w/ Modus 130s. I currently play TIS400 in my wedges, 50, 54, 58. What shafts would best compliment the 130s? Should I go 130s all the way through or try one of the modus wedge shafts? Thanks in advance.

I have the taylor MG wedges with 130s. I only have one round and about 3 buckets of balls under my belt with them, but I do like them quite a bit thus far. My 770s with 130S will hopefully be here this week. Shot one under 71 with the MGs in my first round. So a nice showing to start. I like the sort of "heavy hit" feel of the 130S shafts.

Titleist TSi2 10, Fujikura Ventus Blue Velocore 6X, 45"

Titleist TSi2 16.5, Fujikura Ventus Red Velocore 7X, 43"

TaylorMade GAPR Mid 4, KBS

Titleist T100S, KBS C-Taper S+ 5-PW

Titleist SM8, 50F, 54S, 60D, TT S400 Custom 

Scotty Cameron Phantom X12, 35", Stability Tour

[url="https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/"]https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/[/url]

If you hit a 9 iron 160 yards then you probably should have gone with an X-Flex. The 105 plays on the lighter side.

I did this with my pw and gap wedge. I love it. I soft stepped x twice. Now I have good weight flow from 106 grams in 5-9, 112 grams in pw-gw, then 120 grams in sw-lw.

I found a set of 120 pulls for a reasonable amount and decided to try them first. I got my first round in yesterday and the weight is much more comfortable to me . I liked the feel of them also. Big change from the 105s though.

Rogue st Max 10.5 Tour AD VR 6

Titleist TSi2 16.5 Tour AD DI 7

Sim Ti 19.75 Oban Kiyoshi Purple 75

PXG Gen 2 22 Hybrid Kiyoshi Purple

Cobra King Tour 5-g Elevate Tour
Ping S159 56W and 60B Modus 125
Bettinardi BB-28SB

Will McGirt, a PGA touring pro, plays 105 in stiff, so this shaft in stiff can hang with a tour level swing.

I just saw that in the latest golf magazine too