2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

It just me or are a lot of pros switching to Nippon Iron Shafts?

aswo3332

So I have been playing the 130x for over a year now, and overall, I love the shaft... however being a true wrx'er I have been experimenting a bit with the 105x

The reason for the trial was I wanted to see if I could get a little more out of my long irons (figured I could get a bit more speed with the 105x)

I had a few range sessions and finally got a round with the 105 yesterday...

thoughts.... like others have said they are a smooth shaft but more stable than one might expect for a 112 gram shaft. I get a mid flight that flattens out early. My issue though (like others) is that I tend to pull these more often than the 130. fwiw, my miss is a pull, but is more manageable with the 130.

I wanted to really love the shaft enough to switch permanently but I just don't see it happening. The 130 gives me my ideal flight (higher initial launch that flattens out well, no ballooning) and to me they have a more buttery feel than the 105, probably due to the more active tip.

I would like to trial the 125, but I just think the 130 is perfect for me ( no I don't know my mizuno optimizer number) but I am generally a lower ball flight and spin player..

I will definitely be trying the 130 stiff which I have in my gap wedge and love but I rarely go after it...

so I'm thinking the 130 stiff hs x1 ( the 124 gram instead of the 129 gram weight ) may be the golden ticket for me...

and no I do not have launch monitor numbers as I am pretty much a feel player

hopefully I will be back soon with my feedback on some 130 stiff hs...now back to the ho'ing I go

2017 M1 AD-MT6X
Cobra F7 Tour Green 75x
712U 3i, 4-GW s55 modus 105x
54 deg. SM6 F, 60 glide 2.0 WS
Ping Piper 3

So I have been playing the 130x for over a year now, and overall, I love the shaft... however being a true wrx'er I have been experimenting a bit with the 105x

The reason for the trial was I wanted to see if I could get a little more out of my long irons (figured I could get a bit more speed with the 105x)

thoughts.... like others have said they are a smooth shaft but more stable than one might expect for a 112 gram shaft. I get a mid flight that flattens out early. My issue though (like others) is that I tend to pull these more often than the 130. fwiw, my miss is a pull, but is more manageable with the 130.

I wanted to really love the shaft enough to switch permanently but I just don't see it happening. The 130 gives me my ideal flight (higher initial launch that flattens out well, no ballooning) and to me they have a more buttery feel than the 105, probably due to the more active tip.

I would like to trial the 125, but I just think the 130 is perfect for me ( no I don't know my mizuno optimizer number) but I am generally a lower ball flight and spin player..

I will definitely be trying the 130 stiff which I have in my gap wedge and love but I rarely go after it...

so I'm thinking the 130 stiff hs x1 ( the 124 gram instead of the 129 gram weight ) may be the golden ticket for me...

hopefully I will be back soon with my feedback on some 130 stiff hs...now back to the ho'ing I go

I played 130X last year and switched to 130S this year.

Results have been phenomenal so far. Only about 6 rounds in so far but what it does for me is allows me to not have to "Go after it" on every swing. I make a more controlled swing and get better contact and they are awesome. FWIW, driver swing speed 115mph.

Try to test the 130S. Best iron play I have seen in years.

I played 130X last year and switched to 130S this year.

Results have been phenomenal so far. Only about 6 rounds in so far but what it does for me is allows me to not have to "Go after it" on every swing. I make a more controlled swing and get better contact and they are awesome. FWIW, driver swing speed 115mph.

Try to test the 130S. Best iron play I have seen in years.

I did a 2 month 105x vs 130s testing inside and outside - launch monitor and all...

flip flopped a few times

came close on the 105x smoothness....

BUT the 130s got me in the end - the face control and hence dispersion was better and the active tip gave me the height and spin I was looking for

I am a low launch/spin swinger - I ssx1 - driver speed 102-105

Love them!

I did a 2 month 105x vs 130s testing inside and outside - launch monitor and all...

flip flopped a few times

came close on the 105x smoothness....

BUT the 130s got me in the end - the face control and hence dispersion was better and the active tip gave me the height and spin I was looking for

I am a low launch/spin swinger - I ssx1 - driver speed 102-105

Love them!

I am a low launch / high spin player. I got fit into 130X last year and they were great. But after another fitting this year, i was getting better numbers by going to stiff and launching higher to boot. This was a driver fitting so I began experimenting with the idea.

Grabbed a set of irons at my specs with 130s and went head to head. Results were mind blowing honestly. I wasn't trying to swing out of my shoes on every shot and contact got so much better.

I am a solid iron player fwiw. Honestly the biggest asset to my game. These have made that part of my game even stronger. Now if I could putt or hit it straight off the tee it would be something to see.

Sorry if this has been answered in this thread but titleist shaft chart for irons lists the modus 120 and ctaper lite in the same range as far as spin and launch. Has anyone experience this? I was fit for ctaper xs and the dispersion is great but feel on misses is not the best on my joints. Tried the 120 and lived the feel and got good numbers as well.

Maybe not the most scientific reply for you but I have sets with both CTL x and Modus 120x

Had 6i from both sets at the range last night and would say that peak height, distance and dispersion are comparable on 80% swings but the CTLs get up quicker on a higher launch angle... however if I really go after one the CTLs just seem to go higher rather than further, Modus 120s win hands down in all areas when I really step on one

915 d3 - Veylix
Big Bertha - Kai'li
910h - GD Tour AD DI
Z765 - Modus 120
MD3 Wedges
Odyssey Works 1w

Any views on what to use in a 2 iron if soft-stepping a set of 130s

Best match ?

hard - step a 130r shaft in?

thanks

A little trick I have used is bore depth. It will depend on what irons you are using but something like a Mizuno uses around a 1.5" bore depth. You can easily set your ferrule at 1" and not insert a 130s all the way to the bottom of the hosel. It will give you a bit more tip and definitely will soften the shaft a touch.

I was fit into the modus3 115 wedge shaft, now what would be an iron shaft to compliment those wedge shafts. Thanks.

Rogue ST ls 9 Ventus Blue tr stiff
Callaway Mavrik 15 Oban Kiyoshi White 65 Stiff
In search of Hybrid
Callaway apex 21 apex pro combo set 4-aw  $ taper stiff
Vokey SM8 52, 56, 60Tour V stiff
King Agera

Tried searching through the thread but couldn't find what I was looking for.

I have DG S400s in my irons now and really like the flight and feel but I want something a little lighter. I have the 125X in a 6iron to try but I really like the feel of the S400 more. Which Modus should I be looking at? What about 120TX or X hs? or something else?

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

Received my 716 CBs with 130 S and they are lovely. I was a bit scared of what the long irons would be like since I only tried the 130 in a 7 iron but my word they are perfect. I decided to go for the 130 over the 125 because I though the extra launch would help the long irons. Turns out I was right. But the feel. They feel so stable, I like how the weight is more throughout the club rather than a bit head heavy and they feel so smooth. I just order a 105X for my UDI and I'm thinking I should of got the 130 S instead. Oh well I'll find out.

Any views on what to use in a 2 iron if soft-stepping a set of 130s

Best match ?

hard - step a 130r shaft in?

thanks

A little trick I have used is bore depth. It will depend on what irons you are using but something like a Mizuno uses around a 1.5" bore depth. You can easily set your ferrule at 1" and not insert a 130s all the way to the bottom of the hosel. It will give you a bit more tip and definitely will soften the shaft a touch.

with Mizunos being taper tip,if you short shaft them surely the shafts will also be loose as the bore diameter will be slightly larger 1/4 up??

or too little to notice?

Nippon got a major win yesterday. still loving the 105x on my irons.

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

Can Mark or anyone recommend a Modus. I've played the 120x but launching just bit high for me. Granted I'm coming from C Taper S120 in my Z545s but I LOVE the feel of the Nippons.

6 iron SS around 87 mph and have early to mid release. No late lag or big negative AoA.

Hmm, 120X should be right around the CTaper 120S. Could try something like a Super Peening Blue Stiff if you can handle the weight. May have to sacrifice launch for feel if you want the feel bad enough. Could mean tweaking lofts stronger. I'm not a 120 expert but I feel like they would be the closest to CTaper in terms of launch especially for a early/mid releaser.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I know the C Taper is the lowest launch of the bunch and it's probably just me so used to seeing the launch of those. So you're saying the 125 would be higher launching than the 120x??

Yeah possibly 125 for the C-taper convert. Depends on the spin and how you load/unload. Could see balloon balls. Could see a nice flat low trajectory with great kick and feel. Would need more data or real world results to decipher more.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I am in the market for new irons, could you guys recommend a Modus iron shaft for me?

My driver SS tops out at 100mph, i hit my 7 iron 150-160. I get parallel to the ground in my backswing but have an early release. Sweeper/picker.

Thinking of going Modus 120 R flex or 105 S flex.

Any help appreciated - thanks!

I am in the market for new irons, could you guys recommend a Modus iron shaft for me?

My driver SS tops out at 100mph, i hit my 7 iron 150-160. I get parallel to the ground in my backswing but have an early release. Sweeper/picker.

Try 120S or 105S I think. My speed is similar to yours and I tend to release earlyish. 120R would probably be too soft. 125S if you like the 105 profile but want more weight. Good luck.

Ping G430 Max 9* Kai’li white 60

Callaway Paradym 15*
Titleist TSR2 21* hybrid Atmos blue
Mizuno JPX 923 Forged 5-P

Titleist SM9 48*
Titleist SM7 54* & 58* Slate Blue
Ping Ketch/SC Select Newport II Midslant

Try 120S or 105S I think. My speed is similar to yours and I tend to release earlyish. 120R would probably be too soft. 125S if you like the 105 profile but want more weight. Good luck.

Thanks trying to go lighter so probably not into the 125, I tend to hit the ball high so thinking the 120S is better to bring the flight down versus the 105S.

do not do 120r, no way, im the same as you and didnt like 120s either, but the 105s is magic

[size=4][font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b]DRIVER[/b]- Callaway Rogue Oban Tour Limited 60s
[b]3 WOOD[/b]- GBB Epic Oban Kiyoshi Gold 75s
[b]HYBRID[/b]- Titleist 818 H1 19/23 Hybrid Atmos HB Tour Spec 85s
[b]IRONS[/b]- Srixon 765/565 Nippon Modus 105s
[b]GAP[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 52 Modus 105
[b]SAND[/b]- Callaway MD4 Chrome 54 Modus 105
[b]LOB[/b]- Callaway MD3 Chrome 58 Modus 105
[b]PUTTER[/b]- Bettinardi Queen Bee #6
[b]BALL[/b]- Callaway Chrome Soft X[/font][/size]

Thanks trying to go lighter so probably not into the 125, I tend to hit the ball high so thinking the 120S is better to bring the flight down versus the 105S.

I tend to launch ball low and Modus 120 S gets the ball launching higher for me, maybe due to improved attack angle. 105 S goes a lot higher, 125 S lower than Modus 120 S but more penetrating flight, you should try it out.

Titleist TSR2 10 Ventus Blue
Taylormade Stealth 2 5W
Taylormade Stealth 4H VA Slay 85 S
Mizuno Pro 225 Nippon Modus 115 S
Titleist Vokey SM8 50, 56, 60 - Nippon Modus 3 Wedge 115

Taylormade Spider Putter

120X are still sitting in my closet waiting to get put on My 714 AP2s, ranges are just starting to open up here and I absolutely can't wait to try these things.

Shafting my 5-PW first. 3 iron, 4 iron, 50*, 54* and 58* will be decided later.

Thinking 120x in the 50* for sure, then potentially 120X or S in the 54 and still unsure about the 58* as I mainly just use it around the greens with a few occasional 50 yards and in shots.